Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ Epoch is Epic!

sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Even though it's a free mod with bugs and glitches, I rate this open-ended sandbox game as my #4 favorite game of all time. You can do whatever the hell you want. It's a virtual world with very few rules, and you can custom build, craft, or modify buildings with very little restriction, even pre-built game buildings. Almost everything can eventually be destroyed, except safes, which keeps the focus on multi-player interactions rather than an npc grind.

This is the video that got me started a couple of months ago. I had Arma 2 which I played maybe once or twice and had no idea such mods were available:

Running Scared!

http://youtu.be/SeTfkHYJiA4

For those that have not tried it yet, it's a free mod for Arma 2 Combined Operations that plays like an MMO, but with no subscription fee. Right now you can get Combined Operations for only $6.23https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-games

I recommend using DayZ Launcher to automatically install and update DayZ Epoch and connect to servers.

I don't recommend the DayZ standalone that is being created, it sucks in comparison to Epoch. Maybe it will get better, but I doubt it. I think it's being developed more for making money rather than purely out of passion like DayZ Epoch.

Probably the biggest improvement that could be made to the game, aside from cleaning up the clunky interface and bugs, is to make it an actual MMO with thousands of players per server instead of 50-100. But it's still a lot of fun even with only a few dozen online at once. Arma 3 Epoch is also in development, which should be an improvement.

Here is the Epoch development website: http://epochmod.com

Comments

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I just found an Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead demo at Fileplanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/214473/download/ArmA-2:-Operation-Arrowhead-Demo

Not sure if it will work for DayZ Epoch, but I'll try it out later and post any required steps.

Operation Arrowhead, which you need to run the free DayZ Epoch mod is on sale for only $4.98 right now:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1355985/

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I will wait for a real zombie MMO. H1Z1! 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

me to

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    DayZ and Rust are about to get annihilated when H1Z1 launches :)
  • CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

A F2P zombie MMO from SOE? No, I don't think it will do much damage to either of those games.. DayZ Epoch is very nice game but SA is better, imo. I agree, SA has a long way to go, but already the new content is beginning to make the game so much better than the mods. Rocket is a dick, yeah, but just recently he announced his depature at the end of the year and the current dev team just doubled in size.

I have only few bad words about the mods though. I have played them for countless hours and they have entertained me better than most MMOs on the market. But I believe the game is better off with a stable development team. SA has a long way to go but I sincerely hope it will deliver.

[mod edit]

If anything what you will get from a large corporation will be anything but 'real' because they always cater to the lowest common denominator merely for profits rather than realism. You will get a dumbed down zombie game that will be as unrealistic as possible, because the masses are scared to die or lose anything in a game.

You will never see anything commercial that will ever compare to DayZ Epoch. What you will get is a WoW game with a zombie skin, practically guaranteed. Even DayZ Standalone promises to be very watered down compared to DayZ Epoch.

DayZ Epoch is open PvP and full loot. When you die, you start over and everything on your body drops to the ground. That is realism. You're not going to see anything close to that in H1Z1, what you're going to get is a zombie themepark with none of the risk, danger, excitement, and competition of DayZ Epoch. You probably won't  be able to custom build bases, and you probably won't have realistic military gear and game systems to play with either.

On top of everything else, you're going to have to pay $50 and $10-15 monthly fee to be subjected to the corporate pile of crap which they will call a zombie game.

Get DayZ Epoch for $6 and you can build and play a realistic and dangerous zombie game indefinitely without a subscription.

[mod edit]

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by sempiternal

What a bunch of foolish posts.

If anything what you will get from a large corporation will be anything but 'real' because they always cater to the lowest common denominator merely for profits rather than realism. You will get a dumbed down zombie game that will be as unrealistic as possible, because the masses are scared to die or lose anything in a game.

You will ever see anything commercial that will ever compare to DayZ Epoch. What you will get is a WoW game with a zombie skin, practically guaranteed. So, I laugh at your foolish comments. Even DayZ Standalone promises to be very watered down compared to DayZ Epoch.

DayZ Epoch is open PvP and full loot. When you die, you start over and everything on your body drops to the ground. That is realism. You're not going to see anything close to that in H1Z1, what you're going to get is a zombie themepark with none of the risk, danger, excitement, and competition of DayZ Epoch. You probably won't  be able to custom build bases, and you probably won't have realistic military gear and game systems to play with either.

You guys are victim of mass marketing.

On top of everything else, you're going to have to pay a $50 and $10-15 monthly fee to be subjected to the corporate pile of crap which they will call a zombie game.

Get DayZ Epoch for $5 and you can build and play indefinitely for only $5.

Calm down. No need to get upset.

HIZI is years away from release. However, one thing is certain that it is not a themepark.

I believe in quality product and Day Z Epoch doesn't look like one.

I am perfectly calm, why would you assume I'm upset?

I'm just telling you how it will be. Mark my words.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I am perfectly calm, why would you assume I'm upset?

I'm just telling you how it will be. Mark my words.

Ok your words have been marked oh wise one.

I've been playing MMOs since the very beginning, so I am in fact very experienced and wise, thank you very much. This is just the way things are. Games developed purely out of passion, like DayZ Epoch, are often excellent, while games developed purely for profit are often piles of crap.

What a bunch of foolish posts. You guys are victims of mass marketing.

You will never see anything commercial that will ever compare to DayZ Epoch. What you will get is a WoW game with a zombie skin, practically guaranteed. So, I laugh at your foolish comments. Even DayZ Standalone promises to be very watered down compared to DayZ Epoch.

On top of everything else, you're going to have to pay a $50 and $10-15 monthly fee to be subjected to the corporate pile of crap which they will call a zombie game.

Get DayZ Epoch for $5 and you can build and play a realistic and dangerous zombie game indefinitely for only $5.

Don't be a sucker.

Well let me look at SOEs track record for me and then lets see if I'm a sucker. EQ1 was by far the number one game for me I have played in my MMO Experiance. I also played vanguard thru all the bad parts because the game was huge open immersive, and for me better than 95% of the crap that is released today. EQ2 while I was amped up for turned out to be a let down. But I came back to it years later and had a good time there. Planetside 2 is an absolute blast to play. The only game of theirs that I have played I didn't care for much was DCU, and it wasn't terrible. 

So you call me a sucker when I am amped that a company that have put out at least 2 of my top 3 games then ya.. I say you got it wrong. .. I trust SOE a lot more than an indie dev team with limited to no resources. I have tried my share from teams like that and usually walk away unimpressed of feeling like i wasted my time, thinking it might be good.

Well, it all depends upon what you expect out of a zombie apocalypse game. You mentioned you will wait for a real zombie MMO, but you're not going to get a real one from SOE. If you're just looking for another adventure game similar to EQ, but with a zombie theme, then I'm sure that's what you'll get. And, maybe you're the type that will enjoy that.

But if you're looking for a more realistic survival game, based upon a military simulator like Arma 2, where your actions have real benefits and consequences, where you are truly competing with other players, and where you can craft and construct custom buildings any way you like, you're going to be greatly disappointed with SOE's zombie game.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    But.... DayZ is just a bad game.... Like DA2 level of bad.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

DayZ Epoch is not DayZ. They are two very different games. DayZ is more of shooter, while DayZ Epoch is more of sandbox. There are no player built buildings and there is very little crafting in DayZ.

Well, it all depends upon what you expect out of a zombie apocalypse game. You mentioned you will wait for a real zombie MMO, but you're not going to get a real one from SOE. If you're just looking for another adventure game similar to EQ, but with a zombie theme, then I'm sure that's what you'll get. And, maybe you're the type that will enjoy that.

But if you're looking for a more realistic survival game, based upon a military simulator like Arma 2, where your actions have real benefits and consequences, where you are truly competing with other players, and where you can craft and construct custom buildings any way you like, you're going to be greatly disappointed with SOE's zombie game.

Well I for one can personally attest to the fact that SOE has put out a multitude of different types of games with different types of play styles, so to sit here and claim it's from SOE, and that they can't, or will not make a survival based game that is more realistic is a bit far fetched. Especially when that exactly what they stated that's what they are wanting to do. And I bet they can and most likely will do it better than any indie company can. Yes I have that much faith in them. Has SOE made some mistakes in the past? Sure thing.  However they have also made some of the best games to ever grace the MMO market. At least IMHO

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I know some people that should be pretty excited about this.  They've been generally disappointed with DayZ SA and have still been playing the hell out of the Arma mods.  Hopefully this will get them looking this way again.
  • YatenkaiohuYatenkaiohu Member Posts: 78

Sempiternal;

I am really thankful I caught your post; DLING arma 2/OA as I write. Personally I have been looking for a wasteland Day Z since I played Wasteland 1.5 years ago :P I am just wondering how one secures a base? Doors can be locked or what? This mod sounds really awesome and I'm excited to test it out. 

as for SoE being a decent company I am offended by that!!! my favorite mmo was destroyed by them and nothing has competed with it since. every game has been a perpetual failure; while I wait for the repopulation! I think EQ next could be fun though if its a open world buliding/pvp game with looting options. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Mmm I think will will wait for "Stomping Land" instead.  http://www.thestompingland.com/

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Yatenkaiohu

Sempiternal;

I am really thankful I caught your post; DLING arma 2/OA as I write. Personally I have been looking for a wasteland Day Z since I played Wasteland 1.5 years ago :P I am just wondering how one secures a base? Doors can be locked or what? This mod sounds really awesome and I'm excited to test it out. 

as for SoE being a decent company I am offended by that!!! my favorite mmo was destroyed by them and nothing has competed with it since. every game has been a perpetual failure; while I wait for the repopulation! I think EQ next could be fun though if its a open world buliding/pvp game with looting options. 

You are offended because someone said SOE is a decent company? lol

SOE also has other great games like EQ and EQ2. People conveniently ignore those when it comes to bashing them.

• YatenkaiohuYatenkaiohu Member Posts: 78
    I never saw the glory nor the draw to EQ! DAOC was leaps better for me :P SWG was a mircale and I suppose if anyone is to blame its Lucas arts? Still the day the CU came out I'll never forget until I'm in The Repopulation lol! EQ2 ? As well just reminded me of WoW... Vanguard was cool when it first came out then when SoE bought it the population died on the server I was playing, so I quit that. At any rate I feel like SoE is a lack luster gaming company that doesn't put heart and soul into titles like indie developers, but can the same be said for sister companies like Blizzard?
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I currently play on a epoch server and love it. So much freedom to explore and to create. I got lit up last nite by a AI hummve, and it was a blast to come back and get some revenge.
    As for SOE's new game, I fully expect a WarZ like game. Everything will be nickel-n-dimed. You want more ammo? 1 dollar! Need a cure for that disease? 1 dollar.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• PetuniaDayZServerPetuniaDayZServer Member Posts: 6

I've played a fair few DayZ mods out there and also on the DayZ SA...

I love Epoch! :D

To be honest I've been somewhat disappointed with the stand alone, it just seems to me that the DayZ dev team have been surpassed by the EPOCH mod somehow... I mean, the SA has it's benefits of course, but my hat goes off to VBAWOL and the other EPOCH guys, they've done a pretty amazing job.

I can't wait to see Arma 3 EPOCH... You guys probably know already, but A3 EPOCH is a new mod from the ground up, not based on DayZ... From the footage I've seen so far, it's going to be pretty awesome!!!

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by Yatenkaiohu

Sempiternal;

You are offended because someone said SOE is a decent company? lol

SOE also has other great games like EQ and EQ2. People conveniently ignore those when it comes to bashing them.

Google "John Smedley" and then realize he is still running SOE. I'll wait here.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    Mmm I think will will wait for "Stomping Land" instead.  http://www.thestompingland.com/

Those guys seem to have some good ideas, but judging by how barebones the website is I'd say the game is quite a bit off :p

This discussion has been closed.