Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder if people at blizzard sit back and laugh everytime

DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

everytime a new MMO comes out with the same lame ass quest system as wow. I bet they sit back and say thank you to these companys for making a stop gap expansion for their customers to go spend a couple months in untill they come out with a new expansion. then all the sheep will come running back to wow.

i mean nothing " new " really comes out its all the same BS quest hubs and same BS instanced zoned crap people have been playing for ever now.

arnt you guys tired yet of running from quest hub to quest hub doing the same thing you have done in every mmo since wow?

Comments

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i feel like mmo industry reached the limit and they dont have any creation left.

they had to run in a railway made my previous developer.

maybe 1 day we'll see something new, but i scare that i'm not even exist on earth untill that day. darn

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I dont mind quest hub to quest hub, IF they give other options.

Why cant they do a story line chain quest, and quest hubs, and random encounters, and public quests, and dynamic events, and locations just to mindlessly grind?

Because theyre lazy.

Because they have to justify to themselves and the investors where every dollar spent is going.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

i feel like mmo industry reached the limit and they dont have any creation left.

maybe 1 day we'll see something new, but i scare that i'm not even exist on earth untill that day. darn

There are new idea's every day.

But the majority of people out there are stuck in their ways (THANKS WOW!) and hate change.

So innovation is shunned through fear (that or they are too stupid to understand how the new stuff works and so don't try it).

Ultimately only when WOW is dead and buried will the genre have a chance to grow again.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

i mean nothing " new " really comes out its all the same BS quest hubs and same BS instanced zoned crap people have been playing for ever now.

arnt you guys tired yet of running from quest hub to quest hub doing the same thing you have done in every mmo since wow?

Aren't folks tired of pewpewpewing in the latest PvP implementation in yet another MMO, too?

Seriously, if folks don't like questing don't quest. But it's not even that, it's blaming questing on not getting to level 512 in 2 minutes. Then blaming end-game for not getting you all the loot in 1 minute. Then arguing after that, then no one else can be as elite.

I think games need to come with psychotherapy at this stage, truly. o.O

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

If the folks from blizzard want something to laugh about, all they have to do is to look at themselves.

After all, it is them who repeat the same worn out stuff over and over for years now.

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

BEHOLD WoW the Great Innovator!! 

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Blizzard  has been laughing for years now.

There's one basic flaw in the competition.  Nobody can out do Blizzard on a WoW like themepark, because the people who do like WoW are already playing it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

There's one basic flaw in the competition.  Nobody can out do Blizzard on a WoW like themepark, because the people who do like WoW are already playing it.

and i think blizz is very aware of MMOs are not trending anymore. Sure, they will put out more wow expansions, but i doubt they will make another MMO any time soon. There are CCG, and MOBAs to make before they will get back to a MMO, if they ever.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

and i think blizz is very aware of MMOs are not trending anymore. Sure, they will put out more wow expansions, but i doubt they will make another MMO any time soon. There are CCG, and MOBAs to make before they will get back to a MMO, if they ever.

I imagine this is why they scrapped their previous direction on "Titan" to rethink it, even if it wasn't a full blown mmorpg but anything similar to one. I seriously doubt MMOs will ever be as popular as they were when WoW attracted millions of previously non-mmo gamers around 2005-2007. It's quickly falling back in to the niche genre I remember playing with Ultima Online and Asheron's Call (same time as Everquest, but I didn't play it back then). I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but it is for these companies that keep trying to release another WoW.

I'm ready for the dust to settle and get back to a good classic online rpg with some friends who just want to explore and quest together. I thought I might've found it with FFXIV until I discovered I completed every quest in the game within a few months, and endgame dungeons start to require twitch-level reaction times. It was so close though... I'd love to find a MMO similar to it with an endless amount of quests and more traditional rpg dungeon exploration/combat/grouping.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

It is much worse than that.

Blizzard has now cross server technology that put players from different realms in ONE world play.

To those that thought this was the holy grail of ever populated worlds, they went further already as announced last week ...

In the latest news Blizzard is now introducing ...cross server instances... without loading screens in WoD. The new open world PVP zone in WoD will use it first. Players will enter that world zone without loading screens across several realms play. So players will not even notice anything while the system will balance world PvP across servers.

Tldr: the competition always ran 4 years behind their expensive new technology. It is like trying to sell a new cell phone while the market leader is 4 years ahead in implementing newly added on line technology already.

While other new MMO's try to sell a few new ideas, Blizzard has such a huge advantage in server technology the ideas run out of steam after seeing Blizzard's newest technology. 

Pet battles in the open world without loading screens ? Farms or constructed Garissons going cross server ? Now instances that are integrated in the open world without loading screens ...

Good luck to the competition. They'll need it.

Originally posted by IrishChai

I imagine this is why they scrapped their previous direction on "Titan" to rethink it, even if it wasn't a full blown mmorpg but anything similar to one. I seriously doubt MMOs will ever be as popular as they were when WoW attracted millions of previously non-mmo gamers around 2005-2007.

Even this site is covering a broader set of games.

I doubt MMORPGs will be popular again as the heyday of WoW. But that is ok ... there are plenty of better, more fun (to me) games to play. In fact, i would prefer ARPGs to MMORPGs anyday.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by sportsfan

In the latest news Blizzard is now introducing ...cross server instances... without loading screens in WoD. The new open world PVP zone in WoD will use it first. Players will enter that world zone without loading screens across several realms play. So players will not even notice anything while the system will balance world PvP across servers.

Nothing new in that, players have been experiencing it since Cata with CRZ.

It's not bug free (fly over Wintergrasp or the area before Dalaran with Icecrown/Crystal Forest/Storm Peaks merge and feel the stuttering and witness the lockups). Plus, the hell I experienced with it (and my guild) attests they were working with the tech before WotLK was even over (and before their hardware upgrades).

What gets me is it's been an open secret, and other publishers gazed right over it for almost 4 years now. Do they have some "gentleman's agreement" to not spy on each other or something? lol

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

They might. Does it matter to us as gamers? I doubt it. We choose what we want to play and when (unless some get bullied to play or forced into it as labor). 

Maybe if I was an investor and saw my money grow, I'd laugh too. As it is, I could care less. image

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I imagine this is why they scrapped their previous direction on "Titan" to rethink it, even if it wasn't a full blown mmorpg but anything similar to one. I seriously doubt MMOs will ever be as popular as they were when WoW attracted millions of previously non-mmo gamers around 2005-2007.

I doubt MMORPGs will be popular again as the heyday of WoW. But that is ok ... there are plenty of better, more fun (to me) games to play. In fact, i would prefer ARPGs to MMORPGs anyday.

That's why I had high hopes for the MMOARPG hybrid, but I was disappointed with Marvel Heroes and Drakensang. Maybe 'disappointed' is the wrong word for Marvel Heroes as I thought it was great except I have no interest in the Marvel universe setting. I think I've played a couple others but they were so forgettable they aren't coming to mind. I want to see a high quality MMOARPG in a traditional fantasy or scifi setting.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

WOW wasn't the first to do these things fyi.

Why do they keep making cars with 4 wheels?  They are stupid people who cant come out with a new car that has 5 or 6 wheels.  Maybe the 4 wheel car works so well no one has a desire to create anything else at the moment.  All of today's cars are just clones of the original car the model-a.  Or wait a minute no one drives the model-a any more cuz its old and not worth using. 

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Maybe the problem isn't the MMO industry?  Maybe the problem is with the masses that the MMO industry is trying to cater to.

500 channel's and nothing on

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by laserit

Maybe the problem isn't the MMO industry?  Maybe the problem is with the masses that the MMO industry is trying to cater to.

500 channel's and nothing on

MMOs are alive and profitable - this idea that they are in this massive slump is not accurate. It's true they aren't super creative - but with their high cost they want to go with what works. It's similar to the movie business. They could make a 200 million dollar action movie about 3 gay men. That might be 'creative' - but that doesn't mean its a good idea. Developers don't lack creativity - the publishers are just risk averse.

• urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    you do realize wow was not the first mmo...nor the most original..alot of the ideas from came from everquest..ultima online...kings quests and so forth...the opinion that wow is the greatest mmo is just that..an opinion..like many others...to say one game has conquered the gaming market ..and as for the grind ..the same run-of the mill questing....to make it short ..there is no real way to do it other then kill or gather type quests....maybe like in gw2 you can craft your way to the top...but that takes a long time....the mmo has hit the ceiling...as far as the questing goes....now if someone comes up with and original way  of leveling  a toon...then they will change the gaming spectrum for some time to come....but thats not going to happen..t least not yet.....an as for the tiredness....lot 's of folks like the theme park based...a structure format of questing....a pure form of it ..so until that magic day comes..i say quest on..!
  • infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Not a post to rip on WoW...

Wow has always had the appeal of being a simple, hand holding experience and was the main reason they grabbed such a huge market share. EQ2 was released at the same time and IMO had much better concepts, problem was open world vs instance and the fact EQ2 had much, much harder progression (which they eventually dumbed down). 

Just the idea of having to retrieve your corpse in EQ2 vs the re-spawning in WoW was a "hassle" beyond the casual gamer. Death penalties being steeper, and content being more challenging from the start, and inferior world and UI design is what a big difference. Add in the AH vs Player sold as another "much simpler" means of economy. 

I could never play WoW myself for any stretch of time because it offered no challenge besides grind. Even crafting was nothing more than a grind of nodes and a grind of mass production of things I could not use.  Get to end game and grinding the same dungeon over and over...meh. 

Companies trying to grab market from the casual, wants their hand held, groups of gamers are going to fail constantly...because learning a new game and it's mechanics are going to always have a level of difficulty they are not looking for...less difficult is why they enjoy WoW in the first place. 

That's why I had high hopes for the MMOARPG hybrid, but I was disappointed with Marvel Heroes and Drakensang. Maybe 'disappointed' is the wrong word for Marvel Heroes as I thought it was great except I have no interest in the Marvel universe setting. I think I've played a couple others but they were so forgettable they aren't coming to mind. I want to see a high quality MMOARPG in a traditional fantasy or scifi setting.

Marvel Heroes is a decent game. I play it precisely because it is a marvel setting and you can play captain america instead of some made-up-no-one-cares-about captain "justice" or some knock-off. I wish they have more polish like D3 though.

Drakensang suffers from low budget production. No one does ARPG as well as blizz. But some other stuff like PoE, and Van Helsing are good games and have their own charm. I do want to see a ARPG in the sci-fi setting. There is no good one so far.

BTW, you should try out Van Helsing .. it is very polished (as good as Diablo, just smaller) and it has a steampunk-ish setting. I enjoyed that game very much.

There is one issue with a MMOARPG though ... there is very little need for a persistent world in a ARPG. The core is basically small group co-op combat. If MH do away with their public zones, i doubt i would even notice.

nah .. the problem are those who don't belong to the masses the MMO industry is catering to.

The industry, and the mass seem to be coexisting benefiting from each other (one side get fun, one side get money) without much problems.

The problems are those who don't like it and want to impose their fun over the masses. I wonder why they are not getting anywhere.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Blizzard isn't laughing at anyone. Only the fans get excited about size. Investors like rising profits and growth. So while Walmart might be a huge company its not nearly as sexy as finding the next WhatsApp. Blizzard isn't trending - its just milking its IPs. Companies like that are worried - not laughing. It doesn't matter how big they are.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

nah .. the problem are those who don't belong to the masses the MMO industry is catering to.

The industry, and the mass seem to be coexisting benefiting from each other (one side get fun, one side get money) without much problems.

The problems are those who don't like it and want to impose their fun over the masses. I wonder why they are not getting anywhere.

I can agree with this, and being one of the people not in the masses it does suck that new MMOs arnt fun to me. I still play Asherons Call wich is in my opinion way more advanced than most mmos out today. and i love it. but as far as the main stream masses choice of whats fun " quest hubs " gather or talk to npcs for xp " that is not fun to me, i would rather grind mobs all day than act like i work for UPS.

But i see what you mean, the MMO industry is catering to a crowd of people and i guess im just not part of that and thats why i allways feel like when i try these new games they arnt fun.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

But i see what you mean, the MMO industry is catering to a crowd of people and i guess im just not part of that and thats why i allways feel like when i try these new games they arnt fun.

May be you should try other genre or even other types of entertainment. There are always fun things to do.