Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NEED SUPPORT] Made a post on TESOnline's Facebook page.

LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

This is a direct link to the discussion: https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrollsOnline/posts/757934384216597?comment_id=8282609&offset=0&total_comments=1¬if_t=feed_comment

I'm concerned with the flow of the narrative during the beginning experience of the game since this new PTS release. Apparently the NPCs interact the same way. This would mean Razum-Dar still comments about your fall from Coldharbour even though you just traveled form mainland.

So here is my idea to smooth out the narrative flow. A re-imagining. 

Your first death in mainland is not your actual death but rather that bloody mudcrab, or whatever murderous NPC you underestimated, knocked you out cold. This makes you perfect for harvesting and SCENE:

You're being dragged by some of Mannimarco's devout until we arrive at the ritual ceremony where you are placed. You're clearly going in and out, lucid one moment and darkness the next until you spot the dagger dangling over you, Mannimarco's icy grip upon it. Down it comes and "whoosh" ..swirls of darkness cloud your vision until it clears and you find yourself in the Coldharbour Prison. The story continues on until you do indeed fall out of the sky and greeted by the Cheshire smile owned by none other than Razum-Dar (because you chose the Aldmeri Dominion, right? riiiiight?). Things proceed as they did previously before the PTS change up until the point in which you return to the mainland. 

There you might be greeted by either a NPC you interacted with previously before your sacrifice or just some NPC that happened to find your belongings you previously carried. They are returned to you.

Don't want to die to progress the story? Of course, you're too awesome for that! Well, you could stumble upon the sacrificial ceremony and be taken by force. If any of them grab you, you're as good as Molag Bal's next shriven pet. 

The story progresses smoothly from there. Everyone still remembers the feats you accomplished before your vacation to Coldharbour. 

But what a ride that would be, right? And how very Elder Scroll-sy!

/Discuss!!

Please go there and discuss this. If you really think this would promote a better narrative flow then show your support otherwise offer your constructive criticism!

I presented this to TESOnline in a Facebook PM and they told me that they cannot accept suggestions through private interactions because of legal reasons (I'm guessing involving their shareholders) but to post on their page and try and gain support for the idea...

So that is what I am attempting. 

You can also discuss and upvote the Reddit post here.

Thank you!

Comments

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    This would be pretty rad, Im going to have to agree with you

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk

Thanks!

I presented this to them in a Facebook PM and they told me that they cannot accept suggestions through private interactions because of legal reasons (I'm guessing involving their shareholders) but to post on their page and try and gain support for the idea...

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Well keep at it, its a fresh idea and would make the story a lot easier to follow from the beginning. Not everybody is interested in the story, but with an IP like TES I think a lot more people would appreciate an idea like this then most of the MMO's that are out today

If we can bolster this too that would be great:

The Reddit discussion is here.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Aulliwyn
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk

Thanks!

I presented this to them in a Facebook PM and they told me that they cannot accept suggestions through private interactions because of legal reasons (I'm guessing involving their shareholders) but to post on their page and try and gain support for the idea...

Having been in the industry even for the short time I was, I can tell you that the legal reasons are "Intellectual Property" If they were to act on your idea that you so willingly handed them, you could actually turn around and sue them for using your idea later. 

Unless they have documentation showing they had discussed that very idea before you brought it up, then they would be screwed. Not that you would sue them for making a better game with your idea, but only because it would open the door so that you would be able to. 

Not so nice guy!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Maybe a year ago, they could have added this, but not 3 weeks before release

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Doriangray1Doriangray1 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Maybe a year ago, they could have added this, but not 3 weeks before release

Don't mean to be pessimistic. Your Idea is nice, but he ^ has a point. I prefer to play a game that has as less glitches as possible at this point. While the extra content would be nice, I have a lot more to look forward to...Aka Dark Brotherhood... :D… On an entirely emotional level, I think your idea is great. However, from a logical standpoint, I think we need to keep our requests within reach… 

Rubber duck is incapable of hate.

" The extinction of Rubber Ducks will bring forth the end of our days. "

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    It's not like the "issue" even bothers me.   I never read all the npc claptrap anyway since it has no bearing on gameplay whatsoever.  I've played in two Betas, have 4 characters between the levels of 7 and 16 and and although I must have encountered him/her have no idea who Razum-Dar is, not do I care.
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    It's not like the "issue" even bothers me.   I never read all the npc claptrap anyway since it has no bearing on gameplay whatsoever.  I've played in two Betas, have 4 characters between the levels of 7 and 16 and and although I must have encountered him/her have no idea who Razum-Dar is, not do I care.

Why doesn't "I do not care about lore" not equal "so I will not respond to a post that is heavily devoted to lore and smooth narrative flow"?

WHY?!

Yes, I understand the time constraints. Really..I shouldn't have to express how DERP-DEE-DERP such statements are...but if you want to Herp your Derp go ahead...

I just want to get the word out to keep an eye out for this...and if you happen to care about the 'elisitist lore geeks' position that narrative is just as (if not MORE) important as gameplay mechanics (aka button mashing like some brain dead meth addict) then pay attention to this concern. If changes are not made then voice those concerns LOUDLY to Zenimax.

By the way you 'Herp-Dee-Derps'...TES games have always been a story game first and a combat game last. The depth of the lore FAR outweighed any of the mechanics.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Why doesn't "I do not care about lore" not equal "so I will not respond to a post that is heavily devoted to lore and smooth narrative flow"?

WHY?!

Yes, I understand the time constraints. Really..I shouldn't have to express how DERP-DEE-DERP such statements are...but if you want to Herp your Derp go ahead...

I just want to get the word out to keep an eye out for this...and if you happen to care about the 'elisitist lore geeks' position that narrative is just as (if not MORE) important as gameplay mechanics (aka button mashing like some brain dead meth addict) then pay attention to this concern. If changes are not made then voice those concerns LOUDLY to Zenimax.

By the way you 'Herp-Dee-Derps'...TES games have always been a story game first and a combat game last. The depth of the lore FAR outweighed any of the mechanics.

Yes, the lore in this borderlines cultism if used in that way. It is so deep that it is almost to much to try and understand. I have played many hours on Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but didn't really understand the depth of what the games were truly about.

So in preparation for ESO, I have spent the last couple weeks learning as much as I can from the internet, and still haven't scratched what there is to know. The best learning aid I have found is Shoddycast's Elder Scrolls Lore Series. It is easy to listen to and gives a lot of great information.

edit: And I do like your idea OP, but it is a bit to late! Like someone else said, it would have been great idea a few months ago.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

<snip>

You really don't take criticism or jokes well, do you?

It's a great idea, and I hope you get something moving forward, but no need to bite and retort at every obstacle in your way. Have some tea and think good thoughts.

Originally posted by whisperwynd

It's a great idea, and I hope you get something moving forward, but no need to bite and retort at every obstacle in your way. Have some tea and think good thoughts.

but honestly I'd rather drink on my Hendrick's Gin and lash out at every slack-jawed yokel that gives a counter arguement!

;)

Honestly I am presenting myself far more aggressive than I am. I am passionate...this is true. However, I have strong preferences to what I deem as a constructive critique.

And stating the obvious as far as 'time constraints' just nips my whiskers! :p

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

but honestly I'd rather drink on my Hendrick's Gin and lash out at every slack-jawed yokel that gives a counter arguement!

;)

Honestly I am presenting myself far more aggressive than I am. I am passionate...this is true. However, I have strong preferences to what I deem as a constructive critique.

And stating the obvious as far as 'time constraints' just nips my whiskers! :p

lol  Nothing wrong with a little passion. Truth be told, I'm all for some 'shaking' things up, it gets things nudged towards positive change (usually). I'm less driven to be vocal (the wife is definitely not like me), and vote with my wallet. image

Wish you luck with your endeavor.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Perhaps a better use for your narrative talent, and even in this example, would be to use them as part of a resume to apply for game writing jobs and quest design jobs. Lord knows these companies need more cohesive and comprehensive writers who can present smooth narrative.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by Dauntis
    Perhaps a better use for your narrative talent, and even in this example, would be to use them as part of a resume to apply for game writing jobs and quest design jobs. Lord knows these companies need more cohesive and comprehensive writers who can present smooth narrative.

I never figured I had talent. I'm flattered though. I'm just very passionate about RPGs. 

edit: Unfortunately my resume would be rather short. I don't have a repertoire. I am flattered. :)

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

They're shortening the Cold Harbor intro for a reason. Some people like long intros, many do not. I hate how they keep trying to drag these "personal stories" into MMORPG's. Look at you, the hero, same as the other heroes. If you were a real hero you would be able to forge your own destiny and not have some NPC (Razum-Dar) drag and push you along. I wish there was an option to skip the Cold Harbor portion entirely. Hell...I wish there was a way to join the side of the Daedra so I could reap the souls of people like you who try and force people into these cookie-cutter paths.

As a side note...please stop trying to campaign for this idea of yours. Even for a "fan-fiction" style attempt at armchair game designing it is weak at best.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by DaveyCole

They're shortening the Cold Harbor intro for a reason. Some people like long intros, many do not. I hate how they keep trying to drag these "personal stories" into MMORPG's. Look at you, the hero, same as the other heroes. If you were a real hero you would be able to forge your own destiny and not have some NPC (Razum-Dar) drag and push you along. I wish there was an option to skip the Cold Harbor portion entirely. Hell...I wish there was a way to join the side of the Daedra so I could reap the souls of people like you who try and force people into these cookie-cutter paths.

As a side note...please stop trying to campaign for this idea of yours. Even for a "fan-fiction" style attempt at armchair game designing it is weak at best.

There's no harm in someone campaigning for something they believe in. She is making efforts that could very well add an  amount of logic and enjoyment to some players. In addition, she does no harm to anyone. Certainly she does no harm to YOU. So while the rest of your comment is fine, there was no need for your closing statement other than to be mean and petty. Internet anonymity  for the lose.

Every comment I've read of yours has been ugly and bitter so I'm not surprised here and am so over it.

I've endorsed ideas (loosely) like yours as well. I know; look how well they went. However, keep in mind the main story in all TES games never allowed you to side with the big baddie. Why should they change it here? I have tried for months on their forums and in feedback that they need to have the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild at launch. It's simply not what I'm asking for here.
  • DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Digna

There's no harm in someone campaigning for something they believe in. She is making efforts that could very well add an  amount of logic and enjoyment to some players. In addition, she does no harm to anyone. Certainly she does no harm to YOU. So while the rest of your comment is fine, there was no need for your closing statement other than to be mean and petty. Internet anonymity  for the lose.

Who's being anonymous? I use my real name. In fact, you could probably find me at a convention without a problem. What are you planning, to beat me up? You probably actually could because I don't get physical with people. There are laws against such things, so you'd probably win but you'd end up in jail or something. I am stating my opinion, that the idea is weak. Because it is. You die...then you end up in Cold Harbor? That's the grand plan? So some guy is out there trying to complete a quest or fight a boss...he dies, and now he has to deal with some other storyline that pulls him away from what he's trying to do? No thanks. If you're going to campaign for something, at least think it through.

Every comment I've read of yours has been ugly and bitter so I'm not surprised here and am so over it.

I've endorsed ideas (loosely) like yours as well. I know; look how well they went. However, keep in mind the main story in all TES games never allowed you to side with the big baddie. Why should they change it here? I have tried for months on their forums and in feedback that they need to have the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild at launch. It's simply not what I'm asking for here.
    Maybe I am bitter. That's just my personality I guess, so there's no reason to get personally offended by it. Don't hate the gray sky in winter. Endorsements aren't favors. If you have a good idea, I'd be on board. TES games don't allow you to side with the bad guys? Maybe not the primary boss but I distinctly remember having the ability to either kill Paarthurnax or let him go. I could also complete Daedric quests. Besides, starting as some form of prisoner is the Elder Scrolls modus operandi. It's how they work character creation into the game, and you are not told exactly what happened just before the game starts.