Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Themepark needs to close.

I'm sorry but it's time for something new.

[mod edit]

The Themepark is something that World of warcraft has made iconic in the mmo industry. It's almost as if it is impossible for there to be a mmo that is made without this design. Why is this you might ask? It's simple, game publishers are afraid to take chances anymore, they see the only way for them to regain their profit is to base it on the "themepark" or "World of warcraft" formula in order to gain sells. This has plagued the mmo industry for far too long and has severely reduced the amount of unique and innovative mmo's that we used to see on the shelves.

Before WoW there was, City of heroes, Final fantasy XI, Dark age of Camelot, Everquest 1 & 2, Star wars galaxies, Lineage I & II, etc.. Different designs, different gameplay elements, different endgames. 

After WoW there was, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW.

A change needs to happen. 

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

So, since *you* don't like a certain style of MMO, they should NOT exist for those that DO like them?

Wow... The entitlement is strong in this one.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

So, since *you* don't like a certain style of MMO, they should NOT exist for those that DO like them?

If there were any options other than themepark, old school and  Darkfall I would agree with you.  But there aren't any options, currently, for people that like MMO's with risk vs reward and consequences for your actions.

There appear to be some in development but that doesn't do much good for people that don't like linear quest hub themeparks. 

Edit:  Forgot about EVE.  If it had mildly acceptable combat I wouldn't have forgotten it.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

I'm pretty sure there are many others who share my opinion.

Don't bring the "You" argument into this.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Nice how you ignored the part of his post referencing the millions of people who enjoy the game type you are arguing shouldn't exist.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I think themeparks generally have become somewhat stale which I think would have been a better title to your thread than they need to close. That said there have been some changes to them, SWTOR really pushed the boundaries of cinematics as far as MMO standards are concerned, GW2 popularized dynamic quest, Tera was a step up in combat. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but the point is they aren't as stale as they are often made out to be.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I would like to see an MMO without quest or at least the quests don't give you experience.  Even if the game had no death penalties or forced grouping and a gps, I would still prefer it to having to follow a string of quests around.  It would also save the developers a lot of money as they won't have to sink tuns of cash into story and quests.
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

I think really the problem is that there aren't many different ways of implementing "quests systems" in MMORPGs and that MMOs these days are mainly centred around combat - so these leave very few options (considering, as you were saying, that most companies aren't ready to take a risk either - which I understand in a way).

The "messiah" GW2 attempted to change the way questing is done, but most people shrugged.

As for the closing of "themeparks", given how insipid TV is on average when it want to cater to the masses, I wouldn't expect video games that want to cater to the masses to be much more appealing (lowest common denominator).

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    You dont' need to close a themepark to open a sandpark.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

You could always stop playing MMOs...since there never has been a good sandbox and the definition is so blurred that I doubt one will ever be made. Please don't say Eve...please!

The one game that always makes me hope they get close to would be EQ. Might just be me, but the world there seemed so open and cruel to the weak and unaware.

:P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Other than UO, EQ1 and games of that age, the rest all came near or while WoW was already in development. 

EQ2 -within a month of WoW

SW galaxies, L2 (NA), and City of Heroes only a year before, while WoW was in full development. 

They had a vision, took a chance and made it big. Fluke or no it is where it is today by attracting alot of fans.

It can be argued that everything following WoW in terms of themeparks are attempts at riding the coat tails of WoW's success and failing to dethrone the giant. It's irrelevant.

The players ultimately dictate what's popular and eventually change genres of games to where they are now.

When gamers stop playing the next iteration of COD because the game actually becomes worse than its predecessors, then the devs will try something else. If they get sales, why bother? They make something for the fans no matter how some may dislike it.

We aren't force fed anything that we aren't willing to eat...even those with lower self control.

Originally posted by askdaboss

I think really the problem is that there aren't many different ways of implementing "quests systems" in MMORPGs and that MMOs these days are mainly centred around combat - so these leave very few options (considering, as you were saying, that most companies aren't ready to take a risk either - which I understand in a way).

The "messiah" GW2 attempted to change the way questing is done, but most people shrugged.

I think GW2 was a good start but I don't think it went far enough. I think there is room to improve the general concept of dynamic/world changing or whatever you want to call those type of quest and I am hoping that EQN will do just that but time will tell.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Lets ignore the fact that the WolW themepark was hugely successful for some very good reasons.  You're tired of it?  That's fine.  Offer an alternative that's technically feasible, and will attract millions of players.  Next, tell me why it's better than simply chasing the cash-shop-ftp craze that's already proven to make boatloads of money in the short term.

You make me like charity

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

The Themepark is something that World of warcraft has made iconic in the mmo industry. It's almost as if it is impossible for there to be a mmo that is made without this design. Why is this you might ask? It's simple, game publishers are afraid to take chances anymore, they see the only way for them to regain their profit is to base it on the "themepark" or "World of warcraft" formula in order to gain sells. This has plagued the mmo industry for far too long and has severely reduced the amount of unique and innovative mmo's that we used to see on the shelves.

Before WoW there was, City of heroes, Final fantasy XI, Dark age of Camelot, Everquest 1 & 2, Star wars galaxies, Lineage I & II, etc.. Different designs, different gameplay elements, different endgames. 

After WoW there was, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW, WoW.

A change needs to happen. 

Themeparks exist like they do in RL...people enjoy them, and they're best enjoyed with more friends and family.

That's how/why WoW is successful -- you don't play WoW by yourself, you play with others you know. You stay playing WoW because those you know play it.

Other MMOs don't stress playing together as much, which in turn doesn't keep players in the game playing.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

The problem isn't theme parks, it's conservative quest creation.  Unfortunately, the two have become synonymous.  The patterns used in generic quest creation leave quests existing only as a means of propelling you forward, not existing as interesting content in and of themselves.  It can be argued that the 'typical themepark priority system' (read: rush to endgame) is the problem and I'd be more inclined to agree, but again...that's not something that is the fault of it being a themepark, its the fault of players having been trained to follow the fastest, most efficient quest/xp route.

So while themeparks do have these problems, they're not endemic to themeparks by default.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

The one game that always makes me hope they get close to would be EQ. Might just be me, but the world there seemed so open and cruel to the weak and unaware.

I can understand not liking a game, but why would you ever wish for one to be closed?  Think of all the people playing and enjoying it.  Think of how they would feel if their game was suddenly sunset.  Do human beings even develop empathy anymore?  I know it develops late in males (late teens), which may be a large part of what we see on this site..  Or have we just devolved even further?

EQ may now only be a shadow of its former self, but it's still a decent game.  They've (unfortunately) removed most punishing mechanics now.  I don't play any longer and haven't seriously played for years.  But I would never wish for it to be closed.

As for the topic, how absurd.  As was stated already, there's no need to close a Themepark in order to open a Sand-X.  I'm personally tired of the "standard" themepark as well, but there's no need to rain on anyones parade in order to obtain what you desire.

Originally posted by Acidon

I can understand not liking a game, but why would you ever wish for one to be closed?  Think of all the people playing and enjoying it.  Think of how they would feel if their game was suddenly sunset.  Do human beings even develop empathy anymore?  I know it develops late in males (late teens), which may be a large part of what we see on this site..  Or have we just devolved even further?

EQ may now only be a shadow of its former self, but it's still a decent game.  They've (unfortunately) removed most punishing mechanics now.  I don't play any longer and haven't seriously played for years.  But I would never wish for it to be closed.

I don't think he meant he wishes EQ to be closed but rather wishes a game to be like EQ, close to being like EQ, Again, I may be wrong here and misread. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by DMKano

There are many others - thats not the issue.

Read your title - its an absolute statement - it leaves no room for any options - this is always bad - you are saying close all themeparks.

What about games that have some some themepark elements - I mean who is the authority on what is themepark anyway.

Exactly If anyone brought the "you" argument it was the OP when he/she decided they could decide for everybody what kinds of MMORPG should be made.

Also fetch and kill quests existed in CRPGs and Muds long before the first MMORPG was made and still exists in them now.While new ways of presenting quests and/or new ways of motivating players to play are great and appreciated those times when they actually work,I'm fine with traditional quest mechanics and that would never be a deciding factor in my buying into any rpg.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm starting to hate questing after 10 years of it. Now I usually just grind mobs or dungeons to lvl characters. But by no means does that mean themeparks should die. It's a good thing there's more things to do than just quest in a "themepark." Anyways, many things you can do in sandboxes you can also do in themeparks, besides real sandy sandboxes like ones that allow you to alter the terrain like minecraft.

I think many sandboxes get boring even faster than themeparks. In all of those pre wow games you listed you essentially end up doing the same thing endlessly... not exactly the best alternatives to themeparks.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

No.

There's a reason why themepark design is popular.

Sand boxers do not know what they want. Always bickering and can never agree. When a developer attempts to make a 'sandbox' MMO. It usually always deemed 'not sandbox enough' or it doesn't have mass appeal. It is why it will always be a niche genre for the MMO scene. There's a reason EVE online is the most popular sand box MMO to date.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

No 

There's a reason why themepark design is popular.

Sand boxers do not know what they want. Always bickering and can never agree. When a developer attempts to make a 'sandbox' MMO. It usually always deemed 'not sandbox enough' or it doesn't have mass appeal. It is why it will always be a niche genre for the MMO scene. There's a reason EVE online is the most popular sand box MMO to date.

You can make a similar argument for themepark players. Visit almost anyone of their forums and you'll be hard pressed not to find disagreement and bickering, especially when it comes to new features or a new game. Than you have all the people who are flocking from themepark to themepark in the search for something new. The only way themeparks seem to remain viable in the present is by changing their business model. Even WoWs subs (down to almost half their peak now aren't they?) have been on a downward trend for awhile now and even WoW has started offering more and more micro-transactions.

I don't think they are going away anytime soon, nor should they, but people aren't willing to pay what they used to for them (atleast in the form of a sub) and they aren't sticking to them for very long. Themeparks are also more expensive to make and maintain as fresh content needs to be constantly delivered. Take those two things combined and I think it is obvious why a giant like SOE is trying something relatively different with their most iconic and beloved MMO IP that they've ever possessed.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

There is virtually only ONE style of MMO that exists anymore. Anyone who likes that style has over a dozen MMOs to chose from. If you don't like that style, your choices become very limited. A WoW style MMO is fine, as long as there are more choices.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

I don't think he meant he wishes EQ to be closed but rather wishes a game to be like EQ, close to being like EQ, Again, I may be wrong here and misread. 

^Winner winner chicken dinner!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Variety is good. Yes stop making them, there are plenty. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

^Winner winner chicken dinner!

Yay for me! image  Mmmm chicken...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Apparently not enough to justify the development costs.