Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyrodiil, nothing but huge empty map.

JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i spent most of this past weekend's ESO beta in Cyrodiil, just trying to figure out if this is what i want as far as pvp goes. after all pve gets kind of boring for me pretty quickly, and i very much like to spend a lot of my time in pvp zones. 

despite my best efforts to like it, i just can't help it but to be completely bored of it. Nothing but hours and hours of running around in a mostly empty map....a few dungeons that i couldn't enter, a few "elite mobs that i couldn't fight, some very sporadic wildlife......it just boggles my mind how empty it feels......the biggest "danger" i could find, besides players, was fish in deep water, (which by the way i absolutely hate as a mechanic ). i mean i can't do anything in the water....AND anything deeper than 4 feet has carnivorous fish that hits harder than most mobs....really? really? how about instead you make everyone unable to swim like Aion did....just so lame.

Anyways back on the map issue. sure if i want pvp i can go on the big X on the map and join the zergs smashing endlessly into each other, but the rest feels completely dead and frankly useless. like an endless background of grass and trees. 

on top of that there were many, many spots where i felt i was being funneled either by deep water, fortress walls, or endless unscalable cliffs. it just did not feel interesting, instead it felt restrictive and annoying. i mean if you have huge long cliffs at least make a few spots where, with a little effort you can climb up. give people some options. 

If this is all i have to look forward as far as pvp goes in ESO i'm afraid i'm already bored of it only a few hours in to it. 

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Have you tried playing in group? Like running from one keep to another with 30 or 40 people around you?

I can imagine it gets boring when you do it alone, in fact nothing in the PVP zone is designed for solo play. 

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    It reminds me of Shadowbane. Its designed for guild PvP. Also you seem very concerned about the lack of PvE in the pvp zone for someone who doesnt like pve.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

It would be nice if they did add more solo-capable objectives that effected the map far less significantly but effected the map none the less. This can make for some exciting small encounters. As it stands, it is enough for some to just be in a space where you are possibly in danger of being stomped to the ground at any second. 

But yes, most of the excitement lies with the large group bombarding the castles. The siege weapons are pretty cool too. I enjoy dumping hot oil on top of people trying to set up battering rams.

How awesome would it be to utilize the catapults as a travel device? Fling people over the walls! Offer them a temporary no damage from falling effect. 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Have you tried playing in group? Like running from one keep to another with 30 or 40 people around you?

I can imagine it gets boring when you do it alone, in fact nothing in the PVP zone is designed for solo play. 

Not 100% true. There are five small towns (that echo towns from Oblivion), like Bruma.  Each of these has repeatable PVE quests, skyshards, and more.  There's plenty of small-group, solo stuff.  But in a live campaign, you'll need to be careful.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Not 100% true. There are five small towns (that echo towns from Oblivion), like Bruma.  Each of these has repeatable PVE quests, skyshards, and more.  There's plenty of small-group, solo stuff.  But in a live campaign, you'll need to be careful.

I agree...

tough i would have loved to see some more PvE mobs in Cyrodill, i have great memmories of training mobs on Other people inDAoC PvP

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Your full of crap, there are tons of stuff to find in Cyrodiil,   towns with  quests , dungeons, caves, ruins ayleid ruins  etc etc . tons of lore books to find, dark anchors,  lots of random things out in the wilderness just like oblivion. You say you spent hours exploring , i dont belive it for a second  sound like you spent 30 min's  at most .

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Hi, Level 21,  I had 7 non-war quests in PVP that I didn't even start except picking up.  I frickin had to sneak through the middle of a werewolf village for a Skyshard, it was either that or "Deep Water" to get there... yeah the fish need to stay actually, it makes trying to circumvent the bottleneck bridges more risky.  People on Aureil's Bow Campaign know the infamous Alessia Bridge holdouts.  One of the actual quests that I did do involved me sneaking through a town trying to complete a collect produce sacks mission while 3 enemy players ran around and I had to avoid guards, I was a sorcerer in heavy armor.. so it was a little nerve racking to say the least..

My advice is to bring up you big map and take a good look over it somewhat zoomed in, that way you can see all the buildings and structures that don't have icons until you find them.  Pick something interesting on the map and go in that direction.  I found so much stuff it was silly.  Also... I ALMOST soloed one of the elite mobs... so very close.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've had about 2 hours of PVP fun. From what I experienced during that time, everything looked focused on large scale combat, simply because of lack of anything else, as described by OP.

I should have mentioned that I was sharing my experience based on what I saw.

The zone is large enough, nothing wrong with giving everyone something...as long as everyone can be brutally murdered :-)

When you say live campaign you mean around the larger objectives I supose

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

As in this great post from Jyiiga:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/406633/Something-I-have-not-experienced-in-PVP-for-a-long-long-time.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    This post confuses me because there are things to do. Now those things are limited in a solo encounter by design. Think about it. You want to encourage group content because you don't want hundreds of players running around doing their own thing solo style instead of group content. That's what will break PvP.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

With the  rather short stint I spent in Cyrodiil, I've seen giants, a mammoth, and saw a large group of enemies fighting a Daedric Titan. 

And ALOT of warfare, wasn't bored at all.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

-did you try the scouting missions ?

I found they lead to the discovery of many other quests.

Yes...the Cyrodiil area is huge.That size lets you go...explore...adventure.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

The level 50 patrolling Troll that came up from behind and splattered my brains all over the ore i was trying to mine begs to differ.  He was out there hehe :)

There's plenty to do in Cyrodiil, most has been mentioned before me though :(

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I actually went into the zone to check out the PvP.  When I arrived it the front line it was EPIC.  I rode all the way up from the rear so I could get a sense of scale...and it was MASSIVE.

So we proceeded to push back the aggressors down this massive hill after thwarting their attempt take a farm.  Must have been like 200 people fighting.  We pushed forward and before I knew it we were flanked and cut off from the main group at the top of the hill.  I went down and immediately headed back when ..ooo..shiney happened.

I started ridging back up and I kept finding quests, and odd things which kept leading me other places.  I never made it back to the battle....

I did spend the next 4 hours exploring..

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Gravarg

The level 50 patrolling Troll that came up from behind and splattered my brains all over the ore i was trying to mine begs to differ.  He was out there hehe :)

There's plenty to do in Cyrodiil, most has been mentioned before me though :(

Sounds slightly more fun than the time I attacked an enemy NPC just to have the whole damn village go full werewolf on me.  I think I saw that troll... and ran like a little b!t(h. 

The goblin with the neon green flower turrets that shot radioactive looking birds at my was probably even more unexpected.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Yes, clearly the map is completely empty.

You can tell because there's some space in between the pile of icons in the middle of the map. There really is just nothing to do.

I'm sorry, but for someone who has spent an entire weekend in Cyrodiil (and apparently has found nothing but deep water), you really must not have been looking.

Again, refer to the map linked above. The map is literally COVERED with stuff. Even if you disable all the crafting nodes people have found, it's still extremely full. To the point where there really isn't much room for other things.

So, here is what you've overlooked:

PvE

- Dungeons. I know you said you tried a couple you couldn't get into? But there are ~20+ public dungeons in Cyrodiil (the torch icons). Individually they aren't huge, but there's a ton of them. You can find players around them and inside them, and the enemies aren't pushovers either. As a downleveled player it's very difficult to solo through them without dying.

- Quests. There's tons of quests sprinkled all over Cyrodiil. A few of them send you literally travelling across the map. There are also numerous quest 'HUB's, of repeatable quests. Including a few NPC-driven towns (like Bruma).

- Skyshards. Theres tons them around Cyrodiil. I forget the exact number, but I think it's around 30-45 of them in total.

- Caves. Similar to the dungeons, but you don't need to zone in.

- Dark Anchors. These are also sprinkled all over the map, and they happen often. You can't really solo them, but if you get a group together they are a ton of fun. I've even had a few PvP battles centered around them.

- Elite Monsters / Bosses. Some of these are found near the bridges to the Imperial City. For example on the western bridge I found some Imperials trying to fight a Balrog & some daedric deamons. I wanted to jump in and fight, but then I thought better of it. There's also at least one dragon that's been found. I even found the Ice Troll King near Bruma. He kicked my arse.

PvP

- Large Scale battles. You see a keep on fire w/ swords on it. You head in that direction. 9/10 times you will find yourself in the thick of a huge fight. Provided you don't wait around 20-40minutes to get there.

- Medium Scale battles. There are dozens of smaller objectives to be taken. Take some buddies & capture them! There are repeatable PvP missions that often take you deep into enemy territory. And doing so without dying is nothing short of thrilling. The run back makes you really want to avoid dying, and doing so deep in enemy territory can be a big challenge. They tend to attract friends when you kill them =/.

These can also be achieved by forming gank groups (which a lot of people have been doing). Or going after PvE objectives like Dark Anchors, in enemy territories.

- Small Skirmishes. Too laggy, or too 'zergy' in the large fights? Simple. Go to any of the 100+ PvE objectives in an enemy territory. Camp their sky shards. Sneak up to a quest HUB and look for solo players. This happens A LOT. I've had pleanty of duels in Cyrodiil doing exactly this.

** Again, not to be rude, but I just don't see how someone can spend 2-3 entire days in Cyrodiil and completely MISS all of the above. You can literally have all scales of PvP from the small (1v1) to the large (100v100v100) in Cyrodiil, provided you're using you're head and going to the areas with the combat you want to partake in. If you don't like the large fights, and want smaller ones DON'T go to an enemy's keep / scroll-room alone looking for a fight. It's an objective literally that entire alliance covets and is willing to defend. You will be lucky to find a 1 on 1 fight doing that. Go for smaller, more personal objectives. If you want larger fights, well those aren't really all that difficult to find.

I'm sorry, but complaining that Cyrodiil has nothing to do, is a bit like going to a Super Market and complaining that there's nothing to eat. The map's literally flooded with content.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Boreil
    Your full of crap, there are tons of stuff to find in Cyrodiil,   towns with  quests , dungeons, caves, ruins ayleid ruins  etc etc . tons of lore books to find, dark anchors,  lots of random things out in the wilderness just like oblivion. You say you spent hours exploring , i dont belive it for a second  sound like you spent 30 min's  at most .

This^^^^^. Either that or during the stress test you were phased out so that you weren't able to see anyone or any NPCs...yea..thats probably it lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I've had about 2 hours of PVP fun. From what I experienced during that time, everything looked focused on large scale combat, simply because of lack of anything else, as described by OP.

The zone is large enough, nothing wrong with giving everyone something...as long as everyone can be brutally murdered :-)

You have got to be kidding.

I am not sore with you personally, so don't take this as an insult, but Player's expectations about MMOs are out of whack.

So this isn't directed at you Jazz.be.

It is a MMORPG, it's going to take many hours of exploring to tap all the goodies in the zone...even the shallow MMOs do.... and I know this already from my experiences in other MMO PvP areas that are open world. Two hours wouldn't even be scratching the surface would be my guess.

If I were to play test TESO and go into the open world PvP areas I would spend at least 12 hours, maybe the whole weekend before I gave a review here, and my review would be considered insufficient. I have play tested other MMOs for only a few hours and I have kept my feelings and observations to myself because I had not spent enough time in those MMOs to do them justice as far as a review here is concerned.

*and*.... I don't even like how the made TESO so I won't trash it here (I wanted Skyrim Online with RPG features just add multiplayer and actual arrows and damn those that say it can't be done), I'm one of those who chose NOT to play it and even I would give the Devs more respect and try out the zone for at least a weekend or more.

Come on people... MMOs aren't browser games or console games. If you don't have TIME to play a MMO by spending TIME playing that MMO, then don't play it at all.... or play it but don't give it a poor review without at least giving the MMO the time it deserves.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I was hoping to PvE in the PvP zone for more challenge and hopefully better loot and or distinctive loot that won't drop in the safe no risk PvE world.  Good to hear there are some distinctive PvE mobs, hopefully they will add more to do in the future.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Gotta love it, when people come to this site just to tell badly thought out lies. The hate is strong in this one, too.

Hodor!

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

You have got to be kidding.

I am not sore with you personally, so don't take this as an insult, but Player's expectations about MMOs are out of whack.

So this isn't directed at you Jazz.be.

It is a MMORPG, it's going to take many hours of exploring to tap all the goodies in the zone...even the shallow MMOs do.... and I know this already from my experiences in other MMO PvP areas that are open world. Two hours wouldn't even be scratching the surface would be my guess.

If I were to play test TESO and go into the open world PvP areas I would spend at least 12 hours, maybe the whole weekend before I gave a review here, and my review would be considered insufficient. I have play tested other MMOs for only a few hours and I have kept my feelings and observations to myself because I had not spent enough time in those MMOs to do them justice as far as a review here is concerned.

*and*.... I don't even like how the made TESO so I won't trash it here (I wanted Skyrim Online with RPG features just add multiplayer and actual arrows and damn those that say it can't be done), I'm one of those who chose NOT to play it and even I would give the Devs more respect and try out the zone for at least a weekend or more.

Come on people... MMOs aren't browser games or console games. If you don't have TIME to play a MMO by spending TIME playing that MMO, then don't play it at all.... or play it but don't give it a poor review without at least giving the MMO the time it deserves.

Putting up pointless rants is so much better than giving poor reviews. :o

You're not reviewer, and I'm not reviewer. I'm just a man who shares his experience, and you're a person who's good at ranting

Well I'd rather be a man who shares his experience, even if the experiences are limited ;-)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I was hoping to PvE in the PvP zone for more challenge and hopefully better loot and or distinctive loot that won't drop in the safe no risk PvE world.  Good to hear there are some distinctive PvE mobs, hopefully they will add more to do in the future.

They are still tweaking the loot, but (in the current public beta build), some of the loot you can get in PvP is definitely better than what you find in the currently available PvE content.

Lots of people have been finding purple items, and set items that are crazy good. That said, that is supposed to change once we have access to the full game. So who knows how it will even out.

• SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

OP

-did you try the scouting missions ?

I found they lead to the discovery of many other quests.

Yes...the Cyrodiil area is huge.That size lets you go...explore...adventure.

Yeah, scouting missions are soloable and quite fun.

My DC Nightblade did one, had to go past some enemy strongholds, one of which had people coming from it to attack one of ours so had to avoid the road.

Then I saw 3 Dominion players in the distance and made sure to get out of sight quickly. At one point I passed just south of a group of Dominion and Pact fighting it out with each other. Quite thrilling as I was a potential target to either of them and could have had Dominion reinforcements come up and spot me at anytime.

Then at one point I was hid behind a wall as a couple of enemy players ran past before finally making it to the farm I had to scout (which involved having to stand there a few seconds as my character wrote a report).

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Plenty fun to be had in Cyrodil. Just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGc4_xw4iqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNVzXeS-EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YwhNhpDJrU

Next time, try to find a group to run with.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69

One of the phrases that were popping up in chat was "Running Simulator 2014", problem is unless you pre order horses were insanely expensive as well as a lot of people not putting down forward camps not making life easy.

As for saying it's empty that's not true, in between each triangle of keeps there's usually a town which a few repeatable solo quests and a public dungeon. or some quest that usually leads to a town or quest hub. The only thing is to effectively PvE in Cyrodiil your faction must have control of keeps in the area otherwise you will most likely get steam rolled by large groups rolling through and dungeons will most definitely be full to the brim with the other faction.