Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

1234568»

Comments

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

This has to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read.  It should not take you 20 hours to know whether you like a game or not.  I should catch you from the get go.  Would you sit through a 20 hour movie if the first 3 hours were shit?  I know I sure as hell wouldn't.  

If the menu's and UI is clunky then that is poor research on their part as there are tons of games with great interfaces OR great add-ons that make the default even better.  If combat is dull and looks like the original EQ's jittery animations then it is poor production work.  Some people can look past things like this, others cant.  This game has had more controversary around it than any other MMO of recent history regarding the love/hate.  That in itself should say a lot.

• ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,206

Agree, the game shall be fun from the beginning. For me there are many missing points in ESO. It's not open world, no free PvP, no 1vs1 PvP tournaments, no PK, no property system, no mounted combat, no heroes, no guild wars, no wars for raids, spots or loot, and etc. In fact ESO is not a MMO, it is RPG in online mode, but if I want RPG I will play Skyrim or better Gothic 2. Yes for me Gothic 2 NoR is better than TES, sry. So I'm not a huge fan of the series :) And that's why I can see why ESO is so controversial. It's not about ESO, which is just one more themepark RPG like GW2 /in fact it's far better than GW2/, it is about TES. People want Skyrim, but in a MMO world, and they are disappointed because ESO is not so good looking, has less functions, and it is not a MMO game.

• TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Originally posted by ikcin

Agree, the game shall be fun from the beginning. For me there are many missing points in ESO. It's not open world, no free PvP, no 1vs1 PvP tournaments, no PK, no property system, no mounted combat, no heroes, no guild wars, no wars for raids, spots or loot, and etc. In fact ESO is not a MMO, it is RPG in online mode, but if I want RPG I will play Skyrim or better Gothic 2. Yes for me Gothic 2 NoR is better than TES, sry. So I'm not a huge fan of the series :) And that's why I can see why ESO is so controversial. It's not about ESO, which is just one more themepark RPG like GW2 /in fact it's far better than GW2/, it is about TES. People want Skyrim, but in a MMO world, and they are disappointed because ESO is not so good looking, has less functions, and it is not a MMO game.

Are you joking? It's not an MMORPG because you can't PK everyone on sight, and there are no "tournaments", or guild wars? Seriously? So, then, FFXI isn't an MMORPG? Everquest I and II aren't MMORPGs? WoW, for that matter, isn't an MMO because it lacks PKing on PVE servers, no current property system, no mounted combat, or guild wars?

Sounds what you want is a FPS bro.  ESO is not a FPS.

Nor is it entirely a sandbox (and even sandbox MMORPGS don't necessarily have to have all those elements either - SWGs, for example).  It's a themepark with some sandbox elements done in a way that doesn't directly copy WoW or it's predecesors (or those many clones that came directly after WoW and literally copied and pasted the UI, graphic engine, character themes, raid tiers and PVP set up).

MMORPGs don't have to include PKing, sports, tournaments, wars for raids (what does that even mean?),  property systems (though ESO has housing in the works), mounted combat (very few MMOs have true mounted combat, and it hardly makes or breaks a game or makes it NOT an MMO) and the world is fairly open. (in fact, I despise the circus atmosphere of "sports" and flashy mechanics in such mmos)

But it is still very much an MMORPG, no matter what your weird definition of that is.

Oh, it is simple. If you can put hundreds or thousands players in one area, at the same time, and every one of them has something to do in the game, this game is a MMO. But if you cannot, or let say, you can put up to few dozens, so it is not a MMO, it is some kind of a limited multiplayer, no matter how developer calls it. So, yes, there are few real MMORPGs. After I played L2 and fought in battles with more than 2000 other players, games like GW2 or ESO look like demos for me, sry.

And the raid war is a war for a raid boss. I mean if there is some huge, cool boss with great drop, two or more guilds fight to kill it.

Almost missed it. About property. It is not only houses, but castles, fortresses and even land. So property system in a MMORPG has a real economic meaning, it is a part of the money flows and the market of goods. I mean such a things like furniture, auctions for clan halls and other assets, sieges, taxes, crop and etc.

Do you feel like you never played MMORPG in fact :)

Oh, it is simple. If you can put hundreds or thousands players in one area, at the same time, and every one of them has something to do in the game, this game is a MMO. But if you cannot, or let say, you can put up to few dozens, so it is not a MMO, it is some kind of a limited multiplayer, no matter how developer calls it. So, yes, there are few real MMORPGs. After I played L2 and fought in battles with more than 2000 other players, games like GW2 or ESO look like demos for me, sry.

They may look like demos to YOU in your very strange view of what an MMO is, but the actual definition of an MMO is thus:

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) mixes the genres of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games, possibly in the form of web browser-based games, in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

Can you play and interact with a large number of players in ESO, who are logged in at the same time as you?

Uhm, yep.

Even in GW2 you can do this, and trust me, I'm no fan of GW2, but it IS an MMORPG.

Dozens in an area at one time? I'm pretty sure each layer of the megaserver can support more than a few dozen people at any given time. More like hundreds. It doesn't matter if you battled 2000 people in L2 or not - L2 is not the only 'true' MMORPG on the market. There are many. Just because you don't like them or the scope they cover does NOT make them less of an MMORPG.

Megaserever can hold thousands of players in fact, but you cannot play with all of them, you can play with up to few dozens in every limited area of the fragmented world. So ESO or GW2 are not MMORPGs even by your definition. I can play with some other players in every multiplayer game, and I doubt a chat system makes MMO :)
    Megaserever can hold thousands of players in fact, but you cannot play with all of them, you can play with up to few dozens in every limited area of the fragmented world. So ESO or GW2 are not MMORPGs even by your definition. I can play with some other players in every multiplayer game, and I doubt a chat system makes MMO :)

Uhm, I'm PRETTY SURE I saw more than a "Few dozen" people running around in the areas outside the starter zones. So unless you have some hard facts to back up your weird insinuation that ESO isn't an MMORPG (and nowhere in the definition does it state you have to be able to play with ALL THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY THE GAME - NO MMO allows this. That's why there are separate servers or server layers, so by your definition, L2 isn't an MMORPG either), you might as well just admit you have your own skewed vision of what an MMORPG is, and it doesn't fit the general definition or consensus of what an MMORPG -actually- is.

You can argue that ESO is an MMORPG that pushes solo play, or that the megaserver isn't a good idea, or you just flat out prefer some open PVP PKing paradise MMO, but the definition of MMORPG is many players online at once playing the game that can interact with one another. Can I interact with many players in ESO? Yes I can. Is it online game with massive amounts of people playing at once? Yes it is. Is it an RPG? Yep.

So what does that make it kiddo? MMORPG. Dur.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Why are you blatantly lying?

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Videos I've seen have had hundreds of players on screen with little to no lag.

Not sure what cave you were hiding in.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Why are you blatantly lying?

Probably because the guy watched a video of or played the starter island/Coldharbor and assumed the entire game was like that.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,035

I would like to turn this around and ask which MMO lets you play with thousand players at the same time in the same area? There is always some restriction going on. It also depends a lot on the kind of MMO. The most I have seen at the same time (in a freaky lagshow megabattle ) was in EVE.

As for the megaserver thing. It has one big advantage. Because the community is not divided over many different servers, anyone can play with anyone. Regardless of how many players fit at once within the same zone.

For a player it doesn't really matter most of the time. You are rarely doing anything where having 1000 players around you would be a fun thing. In most MMO's the server would just die or your fps would drop to 0.

• RamsayRamsay Member UncommonPosts: 10

It's a console port - what you expect?

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Ramsay

It's a console port - what you expect?

/me raises an eyebrow

Huh?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by st3v3b0
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

This has to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read.  It should not take you 20 hours to know whether you like a game or not.  I should catch you from the get go.  Would you sit through a 20 hour movie if the first 3 hours were shit?  I know I sure as hell wouldn't.  

If the menu's and UI is clunky then that is poor research on their part as there are tons of games with great interfaces OR great add-ons that make the default even better.  If combat is dull and looks like the original EQ's jittery animations then it is poor production work.  Some people can look past things like this, others cant.  This game has had more controversary around it than any other MMO of recent history regarding the love/hate.  That in itself should say a lot.

Yer right...but it DOES take that long to post an opinion about a game. So the point stands.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I give a game 3 hours to give me a good first impression...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

I give a game 3 hours to give me a good first ipression...

So, you are a fan of speed dating.

I give a game 3 hours to give me a good first ipression...

That's the problem with you and other so called "gamers"

It takes far more time to review a game. It's all fine and dandy that you can decide for yourself that a game isn't for you. That's why they used to make demos. It's a whole other potato to come to a gaming site and spout your illegitimate crap that others may take as truth.

If you haven't actually played the game....which means you took more than a day to play, then STFU on these forums...PERIOD

Edit - My new motto ^

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

I read OP's post but not the whole thread.  Tried the last 2 open beta's but couldnt motivate myself to try last weeks beta.

I tend to agree with OP.  UI is bad.  Game is boring.  $60 + $15/mn for this game is too much.  F2p game like neverwinter has better UI than this.   SWTOR beta got me to buy the game and we know what happened to SWTOR.  This game couldn't even get me to play for free. 

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by kkarrabbass
    Originally posted by Thorqemada I give a game 3 hours to give me a good first ipression...

Well, the first Impression is usually done in the very first momments of a date, not after 3 hours.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by kkarrabbass

Originally posted by Thorqemada I give a game 3 hours to give me a good first ipression...

Well, the first Impression is usually done in the very first momments of a date, not after 3 hours.

Well, it is a delusion of very young edge. With some bad experience, and few years later you might find even 3 hours not long enough. Of course it is if you are capable of learning from your mistakes.

Hundreds of players in one area of ESO? Are you joking? Even in sieges in Cyrodiil there are dozens, but not hundreds. And comments about videos, c'mon, play it and than say how it works. Have you ever seen hundreds of players at one place? I mean all of them on your monitor? It is massive. I think you are talking about this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5I6VK0PwTY But there is not even one frame with more than few dozens of players. Where do you see hundreds? So from ZeniMax talk about sieges with more than 200 players. Maybe it will be possible in ESO, no matter it is not a big thing really, but right now, there is no way to put more than few dozens players together in this game.