Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

245678

Comments

  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540

    Why do folks here get all upset about someone not liking the game after they tried it for a little bit?

    If someone hates TESO after only playing it for 5 minutes, its their choice, let them be.

    Same thing happens with every game, there are folks who will hate any game and quit after a really short period of time.

    And that is fine.

  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    OP you aren't missing anything. Zenimax's hype machine is working really well right now. As we have seen in the past, hype leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the show :)

    DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by FearU

    A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

    As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

    The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

    The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

    Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

    None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

    So you have 5 basic complaints.

    setting, quests, controls, skills, sub

    That's all I needed to know. The rest is all emotional chatter. I take it you either liked PVP, Dungeons, and Crafting or didn't even try them.

    I started typing up a big rebuttal but I think it will be wasted energy because you aren't returning and I see a lot of emotion in this post that I greyed out so your mind isn't open. You have a decision. Be happy in the game you choose but if you frequent this forum when I'm trying to enjoy the game just to remind me you dislike it, I will destroy your points for staying in our faces trying to ruin things :D

     

    Rebuttal for a personal taste???

    Why?

    If someone doesnt like brussel sprouts after tasting them for the first time would you write a rebuttal?

    I am at a loss here.

    People's tastes in games are very different - someone hating Teso (or any game) is normal, its their personal preference.

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by FearU

    (...)

    The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

    (...)

    What a lack of memory you all have. But seriously, did you ever used skills in a game? Forgeting about that, it's not only lack of interest, i think it's a bigger issue

    :)

    image
  • Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165
    [mod edit]

    image
  • NeuroDeusNeuroDeus Member Posts: 6

    A game needs to grab you by the balls as soon as you start playing. That does not mean if its difficult and you lack any knowledge about the game you will shun it but features and the allure of playing the game should do that. One example is SWG which was extremely hard to learn and had a steep learning curve but it made you want to learn to play the game.

    I found it boring, bland and the combat system a bit simplistic. I played a rogue kind of character and I found the 'third hand' when using an ability wierd. 

    Sorry to say I had this pre-ordered and I cancelled it. I had so huge high hopes of playing a good brand new mmo this year but it seems it is not going to happen.

  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by DMKano

    Why do folks here get all upset about someone not liking the game after they tried it for a little bit?

    If someone hates TESO after only playing it for 5 minutes, its their choice, let them be.

    Same thing happens with every game, there are folks who will hate any game and quit after a really short period of time.

    And that is fine.

    It is fine but it doesn't need to be repetitive. There have been a slew of people who come here over and over to tell everyone over and over what they didn't like. It makes it hard to have interesting conversation about things when every 4th post is "ftp in a year" "sucks".

    It's the vested interest that bugs me - there are hundreds of games on these forums, if you are returning to one you don't like to sully it - that's an emotional issue that needs working out beyond this forum. Spread out the hate, is that a lot to ask - go tell the other 200 games you don't like them to, don't let ESO be a pet project like it stole money from your grandmother.

    I am not aware that OP has posted this before - if he keeps posting the same post over and over again, you have a point.

    People posting once about their likes/dislikes is fine imo, there should be no limit on players saying if they enojoyed it or not.

     

  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354


    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by DMKano Why do folks here get all upset about someone not liking the game after they tried it for a little bit? If someone hates TESO after only playing it for 5 minutes, its their choice, let them be. Same thing happens with every game, there are folks who will hate any game and quit after a really short period of time. And that is fine.
    It is fine but it doesn't need to be repetitive. There have been a slew of people who come here over and over to tell everyone over and over what they didn't like. It makes it hard to have interesting conversation about things when every 4th post is "ftp in a year" "sucks".

    It's the vested interest that bugs me - there are hundreds of games on these forums, if you are returning to one you don't like to sully it - that's an emotional issue that needs working out beyond this forum. Spread out the hate, is that a lot to ask - go tell the other 200 games you don't like them to, don't let ESO be a pet project like it stole money from your grandmother.


    The same could be said about the positive posts. How many times do we need to read that the game is great and that it's the second coming for MMO's? ESO is a hot topic right now, and thus, it will be posted about more than the 200+ other games on this site, for good and bad.

    And I'm calling it now...ESO stole money from many peoples grandmothers :P

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

    So basically you are saying due to your lack of knowledge, interest and patience (as you clearly havent spent a lot of time with the game), this game sucks?

    [mod edit]

    It wasn't exactly like GW2 so.....of course it sucks!

  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,540
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by FearU

    A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

    As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

    The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

    The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

    Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

    None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

    So you have 5 basic complaints.

    setting, quests, controls, skills, sub

    That's all I needed to know. The rest is all emotional chatter. I take it you either liked PVP, Dungeons, and Crafting or didn't even try them.

    I started typing up a big rebuttal but I think it will be wasted energy because you aren't returning and I see a lot of emotion in this post that I greyed out so your mind isn't open. You have a decision. Be happy in the game you choose but if you frequent this forum when I'm trying to enjoy the game just to remind me you dislike it, I will destroy your points for staying in our faces trying to ruin things :D

     

    Rebuttal for a personal taste???

    Why?

    If someone doesnt like brussel sprouts after tasting them for the first time would you write a rebuttal?

    I am at a loss here.

    People's tastes in games are very different - someone hating Teso (or any game) is normal, its their personal preference.

    Rebuttal for the points in yellow - they have counter arguments like C opens all panels. Their complaints are basically this - things are different, I didn't figure it out quickly, I give up. How can you utter that it's not easy then say it's generic? How can the two sets of words be the same. If it were generic it would have been easy because generic would have been seen repeatedly. What's not intuitive about E for interact and R for use/accept, it was in Skyrim and it's near WASD. What's not intuitive about C for character, I for inventory, P for party, G for guild - the only tougher ones are K for skills and L for PVP but there are only so many keys.

    I think they didn't give it a chance because I've learned those things already but I'm ok with other people playing other games I just don't want to hear about it constantly - ya dig? It's bad sportsmanship.

    They hate based on emotion also and I don't work that way. That's why I greyed out the portions that were personal and based on emotion and didn't even talk against them. I wanted them to know that they came with expectations and even above I've pointed out how the controls are not foreign to Skyrim. How can the setting be generic when it's the same maps they ported over from the other games. If anything they are near identical.

    That's enough. I'm going to go play and let it all fall.

    It seems to me you are getting overly defensive, as if you are taking some random dude dislike of TESO personally.

    The reasons why OP didn't like it are irrelevant IMO, when people don't like something, I say let it go, its their choice.

    Just my 2c.

     

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

     What is with this supposed obligatory time frame people are saying is necessary to determine if a game sucks or not?

    I've played just about every supposed AAA title game ever and one thing is constant...if it sucks, it sucks...it will suck at the start, at the middle, and at the end. Now it may be improved on and eventually become a good game ( FF14 a good example).

  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858

    IMHO the entire deal is if you don't like ES games you won't like ESO. 

    For me Skyrim was amazing, but for the first few hours, probably about 10, it was confusing and I wasn't sure of what to do. After that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had with an PC RPG. ESO is clearly the same way. People don't know what they are doing and just giving up and saying the game is no good. Stick with it and see if it turns out amazing.

    People who don't like the interface and the controls, are clearly not fans or haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls games.  The game has to stay somewhat structured to the origial games for it to be a part of the franchise. 

    If the controls seem clunky, well that is how they have been throughout the series. It is an in your face game where you can play in first person for gaming immursion, or scroll to third person for the situation. Changing this to a more generic WoW/Rift control system would destroy the feel of Elder Scrolls. The game itself runs smooth and feels perfect imho.

    This game isn't Skyrim, it isn't Oblivion either. Look at the differences from Morrowind to Skyrim, they are remarkable. On that note, you can not honestly believe the same engine that runs Skyrim can handle hundreds of people battling in the same area. Get the idea of ESO being Skyrim out of your head, its not and can't be.

    If you are a fan of Skyrim remove it from your brain before playing ESO. ESO has major elements of Skyrim but it is impossible for it to be on the same level. On the other hand when you play Skyrim, think of ESO. Whenever I have played Skyrim I have always wanted to play with friends and family, well now I can. The races, lore, and the Lands of Nirn are all there and it is going to be amazing to me discovering it with others.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

    don't buy it if you don't like it.

    the game does not suck,it does not blow me away but its fun.

  • DewBaahDewBaah Member Posts: 16
    The game is exactly what I expected it to be and all I want is more of it.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by crasset15

    Agreed. I'm going to pass on this game as well. It has the majority of the bad features that I predicted it would have.

    First person mode + no auction house are the two big benefits in my eyes, but the rest of it is just ugh. The adventure zones have low detail, they feel unrealistic. After the high standard that skyrim has set with its extremely detailed landscapes, it is just painful to play this game, because it is vastly subpar in level of detail. The roads feel like they are painted onto the terrain with a brush, the vegetation is lackluster, trees are used more sparsely to improve performance, I could go on and on. Visually it just isn't up to the standard.

    Archery is boring and takes no effort to use, since arrows are infinite and even if you do miss, they will home in on the target.

    There is no content in aventure zones besides the rifts or whatever they are called, the quests, and gathering. Just an all-around themepark clone. It's a shame so many people will buy this. Because if this is successful, some developer somewhere will make his game just like this one. Cycle repeats.

    The amount of hyped up fanboys ingame is also ridiculous. Any criticism will get an insane amount of hate from them. It's sad to see so many people blindly buying into the hype. All I can say is, enjoy another 3 monther.

    Up next, Wildstar! Can I hear a round of applause?

     

    "Its a shame so many people will buy this game"

    Wow it sure would be a shame if someone made money on a game they spent millions of dollars to make, ya that would be simply AWEFULL.  But in ending with "Up next Wildstar", its pretty clear this is a the grass is always greener on the other side post, What are you going to do when Wildstar isn't good enough either, what's up next then?

    Try enjoying what's right in front of you and not just wanting what you don't have yet.  life will be allot more enjoyable.

  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Could not get into it at all. I love TES games, and this is a terrible rendition of it. No TES game should be made into an MMO, it cheapens it IMO. The RvR part was fun for a bit, but it actually made me re sub DAOC, for it s superior.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Could not get into it at all. I love TES games, and this is a terrible rendition of it. No TES game should be made into an MMO, it cheapens it IMO. The RvR part was fun for a bit, but it actually made me re sub DAOC, for it s superior.

    You got all the way to PvP but couldn't get into the game at all? hmmm

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by DMKano

    Why do folks here get all upset about someone not liking the game after they tried it for a little bit?

    If someone hates TESO after only playing it for 5 minutes, its their choice, let them be.

    Same thing happens with every game, there are folks who will hate any game and quit after a really short period of time.

    And that is fine.

    It is fine but it doesn't need to be repetitive. There have been a slew of people who come here over and over to tell everyone over and over what they didn't like. It makes it hard to have interesting conversation about things when every 4th post is "ftp in a year" "sucks".

    It's the vested interest that bugs me - there are hundreds of games on these forums, if you are returning to one you don't like to sully it - that's an emotional issue that needs working out beyond this forum. Spread out the hate, is that a lot to ask - go tell the other 200 games you don't like them to, don't let ESO be a pet project like it stole money from your grandmother.

    I'll go on to add that all over the Internet for the past two weeks there have been plenty of professional reviewers who found the opening levels of the game to be lacking.  Most of those same publications later revised their opinion after more progression and playing PVP. Anyone with interest in the game (and a little sense) would have seen what Angry Joe or PC Gamer had to say before today.

    But what was the reason for the OP? To confirm that all the more articulate better informed professionals are correct?  Thanks.  Not needed, but thanks anyway.

  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Could not get into it at all. I love TES games, and this is a terrible rendition of it. No TES game should be made into an MMO, it cheapens it IMO. The RvR part was fun for a bit, but it actually made me re sub DAOC, for it s superior.

    You got all the way to PvP but couldn't get into the game at all? hmmm

    Well, yes had to try it. If it was worth it on that alone

  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Could not get into it at all. I love TES games, and this is a terrible rendition of it. No TES game should be made into an MMO, it cheapens it IMO. The RvR part was fun for a bit, but it actually made me re sub DAOC, for it s superior.

    You got all the way to PvP but couldn't get into the game at all? hmmm

    Well, yes had to try it. If it was worth it on that alone

    Sorry, to me "not getting into it at all", is just an hour or two and quitting. You would have invested way more time than that if you were in any kind of RvR.

    Dungeons and group content? Crafting different gear? End game? You could have experienced this too. If you are into games just for PvP then probably an mmoRPG isn't what you are looking for.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,298

    I think the game either clicks or for those who can eventually accept it, an acquired taste.

    The game is hardly generic fantasy. Dungeons and Dragons is is sort of "generic fantasy" and it's nothing like that.

    @OP: I hate to say this (really I do) but what level did you get to? The reason I ask, and it's unfortunate, is that the starter area can be rather bland. In the newest build (which you are not playing) they added the ability to bypass it as many people, including reviewers didn't like it.

    The quests open up, you get more puzzle quests, you actually get more dungeons/mines to explore (though not as many as an ES game and from what I've seen so far not as interesting) and it seems that getting past 10 and upward is the "magic" number.

    yes, yes, I know a game should grab you 'blah blah blah" but for many, unfortunately this is not the case.

    I wanted "morrowind online" and the first time I played this (sort of knowing that it wasn't going to be "morrowind online" I was a bit dissapointed. It took several playthroughs and some "letting go" before I found the "magic" in it.

    Get to level 10 and try some realm vs realm if you can do that.




  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

    I've seen folks in here blasting the OP for having tried the game for "a couple of hours" or whatever, when they didn't practice what they're suddenly preaching now. Totally trolling other titles after having tried them for a few hours.

  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

    You aren't missing anything, it is just a bad game. Still better than WildStar but that doesn't take much.

    The MMORPG genre is in an awful state atm.

Sign In or Register to comment.