Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For people who say WildStar looks like WoW or should be more realistic looking

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I suggest you reconsider your comparison. It's look is actually based on Pixar/Disney style. Don't believe me? Check out what a redditor noticed about Treasure Planet.

The game is built around a design created by current Disney artist, Cory Loftis (see his blog here). Cory's most recent work has been on Wreck it Ralph and Frozen.

The best way I've found to describe the reason Carbine went with a more "cartoony style" is illustrated in the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Some games are built within the rules and laws of the "real world" part of the film while other games are built within the "Toon Town" rules of the film where anything can happen and it makes sense.

I certainly have respect and enjoy realistic games like AOC or ESO, but for the world and premise of WildStar, the cartoon style made more sense. While WoW's style is certainly more cartoony that AOC or ESO, it's certainly not Disney or Pixar based.

EDIT: My apologies. I forgot which forum community I was on when I posted this. For the minority of you out there that appreciated what I was trying to explain, thank you. To the rest: enjoy your eternal game hopping and dissatisfaction.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

I can respect those that can handle the art in Wildstar. However, the art is so intolerable to me that I won't even give the game a chance. They couldn't pay me to play the game.

I don't need full realism like The Elder Scrolls, but I can't tolerate the level of cartoony that WildStar is going with. 

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I think that is a bit of a strech/over-analyzing. They went with "cartoony," graphics, AKA "stylized," graphics, because it has a significantly longer shelf life AND fits the game's humor. Have you seen AoC lately? Realism doesn't age well (much like real life).

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah the artwork and world are cohesive and beautiful, but the fools that keep saying it looks like WoW and needs to be realistic only care that in their shallow minds, cartoons are for kids, and not an art style.  

Obviously there are thousands of examples to the contrary, but you can't have an educated discussion with someone who just keeps shouting that cartoons are for kids. Its like arguing with a toddler.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by timidobserver

I can respect those that can handle the art in Wildstar. However, the art is so intolerable to me that I won't even give the game a chance. They couldn't pay me to play the game.

I don't need full realism like The Elder Scrolls, but I can't tolerate the level of cartoony that WildStar is going with. 

While I would not say Wildstar should look more realistic, that it is not is one of the  reasons I am not considering playing it.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

I'm in the same boat.  I would be embarrassed playing the game.

I couldn't tell you why, but I feel like being an adult and playing a game that has the graphics of children's games would just make me feel ashamed.  Almost on par with playing one of those sex MMOs like Scarlet Blade.

Wildstar to me looks like an MMO for children.  Like those ones that 5 and 6 year olds play in web-browsers now.

Could be the best game of all time...and I'd never be caught dead playing it.

• blazehammerblazehammer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    the problem ins't only how it's look, but how it's play...
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by svandy
    I think that is a bit of a strech/over-analyzing. They went with "cartoony," graphics, AKA "stylized," graphics, because it has a significantly longer shelf life AND fits the game's humor. Have you seen AoC lately? Realism doesn't age well (much like real life).

I agree

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Mr. Frost said that Saturday morning cartoons among other things were the inspiration for their art style.
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I never thought the character art was WoW-like.  Some of the environments, to me, look like copy / paste from Burning Crusade.

I don't dislike them.  BC is a personal favorite.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by indef

I'm in the same boat.  I would be embarrassed playing the game.

I couldn't tell you why, but I feel like being an adult and playing a game that has the graphics of children's games would just make me feel ashamed.  Almost on par with playing one of those sex MMOs like Scarlet Blade.

Wildstar to me looks like an MMO for children.  Like those ones that 5 and 6 year olds play in web-browsers now.

Could be the best game of all time...and I'd never be caught dead playing it.

being an adult does'nt mean you have to shy away from kid stuff.. alot of us enjoy watching cartoons for example and there's nothing wrong with that.  

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I've never had a problem with Wildstar's visual aesthetics.  In fact, I actually quite like them.  I am an animator/illustrator myself.  It's hard not to appreciate good design when you see it.

My problem with Wildstar is it plays very similarly to WoW.  While I guess some people view that as a strength... I'm just done with that.  I'm tired of it.

ESO offers enough new material to warrant my interest.  And... it looks pretty good aesthetically as well.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Wildstar went that route, cause it is much easier, plain and simple.  Its the Blizzard model.  Realism fades before the game even launches, while the cartoonly look stays stylish much longer and is easier to produce

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Wildstar went that route, cause it is much easier, plain and simple.  Its the Blizzard model.  Realism fades before the game even launches, while the cartoonly look stays stylish much longer and is easier to produce

Depends on the realism to stylized ratio. I mean you can have realistic aesthetics with touches of stylization to keep it sharp over time... I mean people keep saying ESO is realistic but it actually a mix.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Stylized is fine, WildStar looks worse than WoW and that is an issue with me.

EQN is the game that looks like Disney and that looks better than WildStar or WoW.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Stylized is NOT the issue I have with the graphics.  The devil is in the details, and the devil just ain't visiting WS.

I've seen indie games with more details.  Most everything in WS is made with sharp angles.  Hardly anything is actually round.  It's not HD, meaning it gets pixelated close up.  Saying this game looks like WoW is an injustice to WoW's updated graphics.  I can handle the art style, what I hate is the lack of details.  Also as another poster mentioned, the environments have a tendency to look almost identical to WoW....except lacking in details and more squared.

But what does it matter, the devs have said many times they are copying WoW and like it when people say the game looks and feels like WoW. 

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Originally posted by Notimeforbs

I've never had a problem with Wildstar's visual aesthetics.  In fact, I actually quite like them.  I am an animator/illustrator myself.  It's hard not to appreciate good design when you see it.

My problem with Wildstar is it plays very similarly to WoW.  While I guess some people view that as a strength... I'm just done with that.  I'm tired of it.

ESO offers enough new material to warrant my interest.  And... it looks pretty good aesthetically as well.

I too am a graphic designer and animator, and I agree, Wildstar's art is quality stuff, and I also agree that the game alas has too many dated features, that overshadow the newer ones. I loved WoW back in the day, but my tastes have changed, and I have noticed I get sick of an mmo much faster if it feels too much like ones I have moved on from. ESO doesn't feel WoW like to me, and the colour palette is less offensive.

Originally posted by Ender4

Stylized is fine, WildStar looks worse than WoW and that is an issue with me.

EQN is the game that looks like Disney and that looks better than WildStar or WoW.

Again, I agree 100%, the problem is Wildstar's engine renders things in a flat manner, making the game mimic classic 2D animation (which is good) but unfortunately also closely resembles the cheap WoW clones Asia keeps churning out (which is bad) and even though the art style and animation are far superior I can't shake that cheap feel. EQN uses are far better shading system, that makes the models and props look more like Pixar or Dreamworks animation, which is not something easily done at this point.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    My biggest problem with realistic graphics is animations. It's never done right and it almost always turns me off a game. Why does everything need to be so smooth and seamless in real life! Damn you motion!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    My biggest problem with realistic graphics is animations. It's never done right and it almost always turns me off a game. Why does everything need to be so smooth and seamless in real life! Damn you motion!

Wow, lots of great posts on this thread, yes one of the reasons for stylized mmos is you can stylize or simplify the animations to match, but realistic proportions need high quality animation, an issue for ESO unfortunately. They should have gone for all motion capture as FFXIV:ARR did.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I have no problem with the art style. It reminds me of Titan AE, and I love that movie. My problem with Wildstar is, while playing, I was not having fun... like at all. Made it to level 11, and just couldn't bring myself to continue. I was uninterested and bored. The game fails to grab me at all.

Unfortunately, all the game does is make me want to watch Titan AE.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Azzras

Stylized is NOT the issue I have with the graphics.  The devil is in the details, and the devil just ain't visiting WS.

I've seen indie games with more details.  Most everything in WS is made with sharp angles.  Hardly anything is actually round.  It's not HD, meaning it gets pixelated close up.  Saying this game looks like WoW is an injustice to WoW's updated graphics.  I can handle the art style, what I hate is the lack of details.  Also as another poster mentioned, the environments have a tendency to look almost identical to WoW....except lacking in details and more squared.

But what does it matter, the devs have said many times they are copying WoW and like it when people say the game looks and feels like WoW. 

You summed up my Wildstar impressions really well.  I don't have a problem with stylized games.  I found the artwork quite lovely in WoW.  It was a world I wanted to explore and could spend many hours immersed in the environment.  Unfortunately, I found the style quite jarring in Wildstar.  I also found the lack of details a real turn off.  I wasn't inspired to spend time in the world exploring.  Additionally, I actually suffered from some sensory overload with all the bright colors, exceptionally busy environment, telegraphs galore.   

It all comes down to personal preference at the end.  I prefer my realism.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Art style is fine.. The big issue for me is NcSoft. Period.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I am glad that it stays firmly to the left side of the uncanny valley.  The temptation is there these days to try for the right side, but the capacity just is not there yet to achieve that reality in an MMO without compromising other factors that make a game fun to play.
    Originally posted by Tygranir

I have no problem with the art style. It reminds me of Titan AE, and I love that movie. My problem with Wildstar is, while playing, I was not having fun... like at all. Made it to level 11, and just couldn't bring myself to continue. I was uninterested and bored. The game fails to grab me at all.

Unfortunately, all the game does is make me want to watch Titan AE.

Surprised you got to 11, "bored" is the word I hear a lot with this one, wasn't expecting that. As to Titan AE, yes, very reminiscent, I've been saying for awhile I would prefer if they just made a Wildstar animated series or movie, they could even crowd fund it as Wakfu did. Much prefer that series from the game.

"I am glad that it stays firmly to the left side of the uncanny valley.  The temptation is there these days to try for the right side, but the capacity just is not there yet to achieve that reality in an MMO without compromising other factors that make a game fun to play."

Indeed, people overestimate what mmos can do at this point, they forget they were barely 3D 10 yrs ago.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Azzras

You must have played something different than I did.  Granted, I did have the audacity to turn the graphic settings up.  There was a curved lamp post that I zoomed in on and there was no pixilation at all.

As for your last statement, that is false.  If they indeed said they wanted to copy WoW they are failing REALLY hard.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars