Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Expansion Preview

2»

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

hope they hire someone with better artistic sense to revamp the visuals some day

and i'm not talking about changing it conceptually or to move away from the gritty feel. I'm saying whoever modeled, animated, and textured the game were hacks. Not to say there isn't parts of the game that do look nice, just most of it is meh aesthetically

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Devourers.
  • PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Inspired by the article I downloaded it.. again... and remembered that I did try it out a few months ago but couldn't get past the third character level because of the horrifyingly claustrophobically close fov.

I suppose it's just me but I'm used to seeing more than just a few feet in any direction. Why do I have an impression that all the devs working on this title have severe near-sightedness? And no, it's not "standard" fov for arpgs - it's much closer. I spent huge amounts of time playing D2 and its viewport was much further back. It annoys me to no end and completely breaks the immersion for me - as I said, in real life I'm used to seeing stuff more than just a few feet away. In this game I feel like I'm groping in a tight claustrophobic space, and not in a good way - not because the game is intentionally claustrophobic but because of the limitations of  design - and that is not a good space for a game to be.

Until they fix this (and I doubt they'll bother) I'll pass this title. And it's a shame since from all what I hear it's exactly what I was looking for since D2... But I really can't get past this - due to this issue i find the experience of playing deeply unpleasant on an instinctive level.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

All my characters stalled in the mid-70's as I am one of the many unlucky type players that other people can't understand exist. Therefore, I have no 5-link gear and had a grand total of zero exalts drop - which means I can't afford to buy anything from another player either.

While others have screenshots of bank pages full of exalts, they (of course) think the drop rate is "fine". Yes, it is fine if you are blindingly lucky and wealthy, and it's objectively crap if you're not. So that's that, no reason to log in cause I can't progress, can't buy anything, all I can do is just farm for dozens of hours hoping to finally get lucky.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by DMKano

With D3 2.0.1 patch - its hard to go back to PoE. 

d3 ? what is this  lol ppls still play d3?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Yohanu

Yes, let's ruin yet another economy by introducing centralised trade. No thanks.

There is nothing wrong with an AH, but it is an ARPG, and I would argue that an economy doesn't belong in the first place.  

In fact, it is the sole reason why POE is completely underachieving.   

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by DMKano

With D3 2.0.1 patch - its hard to go back to PoE. 

I tried it. Lasted 3 hours before it boiled down to what made it crap in the first place. Dull combat,  simple and dumbed down skill system, unfair game mechanics (attacks that you cannot avoid by player skill? boooooring), and same old unimaginative item affixes.

Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Yohanu

Yes, let's ruin yet another economy by introducing centralised trade. No thanks.

There is nothing wrong with an AH, but it is an ARPG, and I would argue that an economy doesn't belong in the first place.  

In fact, it is the sole reason why POE is completely underachieving.   

There is everything wrong about Auction Houses. Some of us actually LIKE working hard to trade and make profit. It is called Metagame, and it is something most new games sorely need.

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355

Once they allow me to zoom out a little more, I will play this game.

Alas, they ignored my request since early closed beta.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Such mini-expansions free every 4 months

Quite a deal compared to D3 RoS.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Love this game, can't say enough for the developer, GGG. They've really set the gold standard in regard to non-p2w cash shops.

In regard to the trading issue, if you set up a WTS  thread on the official websight, it will show up on poe.xyz.is , which essentially scrapes and cross indexes all relevant items that a prospective buyer is looking for. It even verifies that all items are not sold and still in the buyer's inventory if you ask it to.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This could be such a great game if the combat wasn't so flat and boring. Such a shame they were never able to get that to feel good.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Such mini-expansions free every 4 months

Quite a deal compared to D3 RoS.

Very true

• SzczepanXSzczepanX Member UncommonPosts: 40
    If it comes to game system, this game is good. But combat is bad. Diablo 3 does the combat ten times better. Path of Diablo please!
  • lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32

Love POE, however, here are a couple of issues I have found and would like to talk about.

1. The extensiveness to which you can customize mix and match abilities/passives is incredible,

but none of it matters, because whatever you put points into will be useless by the time you get to endboss, unless you build in specific way, which defeats the purpose of open system completely.

If I am given a Choice in a game, top allocate point here or there, that I get from a level up. Then Every choice that I make should be viable in a videogame. If I throw one hundred points at the most basic stat increase points, it should be as viable as trailing to get to that Special Passive.

But it is not. There are only a number of specific builds that work, and if you deviate from the predetermined 'path' your character will be gimped.

2. They have explained the reasons behind the 'rubber-bandy', 'clunky', 'de-syncy' combat:

"It's due to the amount of calculations and hit detection algorithms that have to be run, every time the player swings at an enemy or vice-versa, as, unlike in D3, it is possible to Truly dodge a skillshot or attack, instead of it locking on to the player and then throwing a chance dice".

This is all well and good, but even with that goal in mind, the devs could have Implemented the system in a better, less taxing way from the get go. Also, in my opinion, don't try and over-complicate something that does Not need overcomplication, if this is meant to be an Action RPG, where combat is meant to be fast and Fluent, then why break that system, just because you want to make something more complex than it needs to be. Just about every player, including veterans who are of course used to it now, agree that this is the biggest flaw, that clearly stems from poor thinking and designing in the first place. D3's combat might be less complex and look like a shortcut algorithm wise, but it's combat is undeniable fun, despite other glaring problems, D3 engine is by far smoother, because they made it simpler, took shortcuts, like skill lock etc. So, as this is not just a personal gripe, but that of many players, and you are a f2p studio, how about changing up some algorithms and putting the changed build on a public test server to gauge player numbers/reactions. You can always bring it down, afterall, it's a test server.

3. The FOV and camera angles as has been pointed out by many, many players. It is a personal issue to many people, there fore there are many who are fine with the way it is. Solution would be to allow a simple control of zoom with scroll, and to zoom a bit further out, this would let players set their own preference within a certain boundary (that is a bit bigger than the current one).

In conclusion, I realize, that it is hard to pull the devs away from some code they are already working on currently and you are limited for time and budget. However, considering how highly requested and talked about the 'features' (for lack of a better word) mentioned above have been by some of the player-base, the community at large, and ridiculous amounts of people for whom those are game-breaking enough to not continue playing or not even bother trying your otherwise wonderful game, it would be a big oversight on your part, to not address those at some point in the future, or at least draw up some plans for doing that and share that with people. You might be surprised at the outcome.

• demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63

sucky patch made , to frustrate and waste your time even further by ruining your gear with vaal gems , its not just positive stuff .Waste of time and effort

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Did the update launch?

Originally posted by demodar

sucky patch made , to frustrate and waste your time even further by ruining your gear with vaal gems , its not just positive stuff .Waste of time and effort

Exclusively positive stuff would be make it goddamn awful. If there's no risk, there's no reward.