Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do certain groups of MMO players feel the need to force their gameplay on others?

Comments

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Because everyone should play the ONE TRUE WAY unless they want to be hand held WoW kiddies! Right?
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Why does a game have to be completely lacking in a given type of content for you to enjoy it?  As long as the particular kind of content you dislike is segregated in it's own area, which you are under no obligation to enter, what is wrong with simply enjoying the rest of the game until it stops being fun, and then moving on to something else?  Why do you have to be able to enjoy all of a game in order to be able to enjoy any of it?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There are two examples I can think of that get people really riled up.  One is requesting a PvE server in Darkfall.  The other is talking about the PvE continent released in UO.  I can't really think of an example of a PvE game adding PvP and people getting upset because most games include PvP in some fashion, even if it's instanced.

I think it's important to note that players can't really force their game play on other players.  Only developers can do that.  However, players can get really upset when developers allow additional game play options to other players.  I would say that players get really upset when developers suddenly restrict game play options from players, but this doesn't seem to happen.

So the question is, why do those players get so upset?  Why did all those UO players get so upset that more people started playing UO after the release of the PvE content?  Why do Darkfall players get so upset when someone suggests a PvE server, aside from being tired of hearing about it?

Are there any other examples of changes like this that have actually happened?

You missed one of the big ones. 

Consider new game X,  not much information about new game X but a lot of people are excited about it and build up their expectations that this new game X will be "the one". Discussion starts about some feature that may or not be in new game X (often PvP, particularly OWFFAPvP) and the fervent few divide into two or more feuding factions and the war begins.

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Why does a game have to be completely lacking in a given type of content for you to enjoy it?  As long as the particular kind of content you dislike is segregated in it's own area, which you are under no obligation to enter, what is wrong with simply enjoying the rest of the game until it stops being fun, and then moving on to something else?  Why do you have to be able to enjoy all of a game in order to be able to enjoy any of it?

The underlined section implies a particular class of playstyles sometimes referred to as MMO tourists.  If I play one game, and one game only, for a period of years then providing content for one playstyle comes at the expense of additional content for another playstyle in that game.

• Nzscorpion80Nzscorpion80 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    If you don't like the way the game is designed don't play it, quite simple. Don't moan because the game is not made the way you like to play games etc, what pisses me off if gamers trying to get developers to make it the way they want, etc pve only cyrodil lol piss off & play a pve game if ya don't like pvp simple.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• avatarairavatarair Member Posts: 58

Nobody is under any obligation to do anything in MMOs. That doesn't mean most of us don't feel obligated to do things.

If I played ESO I would feel obligated to participate in PvP to reach my maximum end-game potential for PvE. That breaks the game.

And the reason I want sub MMOs is because I am not an MMO hopper. If I play a game, I'm signing a part of my soul away. That thing I just decided to play, I WILL play for the next years of my life, and support monetarily and be an active part of the community way after I stop having fun with it. I don't play MMOs, they are an important part of my life.

Originally posted by craftseeker

The underlined section implies a particular class of playstyles sometimes referred to as MMO tourists.  If I play one game, and one game only, for a period of years then providing content for one playstyle comes at the expense of additional content for another playstyle in that game.

I would argue that it's simply a sign of mental health.  It makes sense when you "finish" something to move on to something else.  When you finish reading a good book, do you immediately turn back to page one and read it again?  And then again?  And again?

There is not one themepark MMO ever created where you can play for years without repeating content.  When you reach the point where the only content you have left is content you already played, and the only reason to play it again is some mindless gear treadmill, how is rational to keep going instead of spending your time on something you haven't experienced yet?

And then there is the logical flaw with what you are saying; the assumption that if there is less of content X, there will necessarily be more of content Y.  If content X is popular, then failure to add more X will eventually result in the players who care about it quitting, which means less revenue, which makes it less likely that there is additional content of any kind.  Games with AAA budgets need large audiences, and you don't get large audiences by emphasizing one content type and ignoring all the rest.

Niche games can afford to be narrow, but generally speaking they lack the necessary funds to achieve the same level of polish on their content as do AAA games, even when they dedicate all their resources to a more limited range of options.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Robokapp

OP, asymmetric warfare is not possible with rules of consent. the victim won't ever consent.

basically there cant be a consentual victim. the concept makes no sense.

what you end up if you eliminate victims is  a battleground.

Simply put those who like asymmetric pvp need to impose it on those who don't. or else asymmetric pvp is not possible.

There can most certainly be a consentual victim. Well you may not call it a victim, but there are definitely many people who seem to consent to being killed in PvP, and often at that. They accept that outcome because they like it when the shoe is on the other foot as well.

Originally posted by Nzscorpion80
    If you don't like the way the game is designed don't play it, quite simple. Don't moan because the game is not made the way you like to play games etc, what pisses me off if gamers trying to get developers to make it the way they want, etc pve only cyrodil lol piss off & play a pve game if ya don't like pvp simple.

Yet another person with this argument, a lot of us would love to "piss off & play ..." unfortunately the game does not exist.  So the alternative is to find the closest thing and argue for changes that would bring it "close enough".  BTW there are as many PvP players that do this as PvE players, perhaps more.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by avatarair

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Because MMOs are complex things and letting certain players just have what they want because they THINK it'll be convenient and fun, undermines the rest of the game for the rest of the players.

How so?

How does it undermine the game? How does making more people happy undermine the game?

Is this one of those fictitious cases where a group of players can only be happy if the other group is unhappy? Because those types of dynamics have never existed in humanity.

They have it's called a zero-sum game, and is what happened 90% of the time in history,

on another note Age of Conan covers 8 out of 10 of what u seek, and also idk how u people aren't noticing it, but there is a really simple reason why games are going further and further away from how u want them to go, and that is the target demographic which is getting younger and younger, ...

I would argue that it's simply a sign of mental health.  It makes sense when you "finish" something to move on to something else.  When you finish reading a good book, do you immediately turn back to page one and read it again?  And then again?  And again?   

If you stop enjoying your relationship do you give up on it or do you try to fix it?

Originally posted by Nzscorpion80

This is literally the definition of selfish. 

I thought we all learn that sharing is caring.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The day where new MMOs are coming out all the time to suit all types of playstyles is when I'll be happy but right now the genre feels so shallow to me in the upcoming year. 

With hundreds of MMOs currently available covering countless playstyles and plenty more in development, if you can't find an MMO that caters to your playstyle, the problem isn't MMOs. 

Agreed.  There are no shortage of MMO's no matter what your play style is.  The counter on this site reads, Games: 642.  

?? Really?  Pardon my ignorance but despite searching for a couple of years now I have yet to find a game that meets my desired playstyle. Given your wide knowledge of the topic can you please point me at the titles that meet my requirements.

• No PvP, none at all
    • No SciFi themes I want a high fantasy game without gadgets and gizmos
    • No twitch play, with a 300ms lag and aging reflexes twitch play has no interest for me
    • Content and game mechanics geared towards players who want to play 40 hours a week for several years in the same virtual world.
    • Open world play not endless repetition of the same 5 dungeons
    • Exclusive first person view point
    I would love to see your list of games that meet that list released in the last 5 years.

That seems to be the point.  The person never thinks it's them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

If you stop enjoying your relationship do you give up on it or do you try to fix it?

I find the argument that it makes more sense to compare playing a MMORPG to a romantic relationship than to compare it to reading a book, well, more than a little creepy.

The Force shall free me.

It totally depends on how the other person feels.  Things could get nasty with restraining orders, death threats and such.

There is no such thing as the perfect MMO or relationship because everything is in a constant state of change.  We all grow at different rates.  I'm not the same gamer I was 40 years ago.  We just do the best we can with the choices we have. Give and take.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

There is not one themepark MMO ever created where you can play for years without repeating content.  When you reach the point where the only content you have left is content you already played, and the only reason to play it again is some mindless gear treadmill, how is rational to keep going instead of spending your time on something you haven't experienced yet?

LOL, no it does not make sense to "turn back to page one and read it again?  And then again?  And again?" but it does make sense to prefer to read a 10,000 page epic rather than 1,000 10 page short stories.

I find the argument that it makes more sense to compare playing a MMORPG to a romantic relationship than to compare it to reading a book, well, more than a little creepy.

Well of course you'd side with you comparison =P the fact is, how important are games in your life? Are they a hobby, or an integral part of your life? every job I've had involved games, I met my fiance in an MMORPG, my best friends I met in MMORPGs- so this is likely why I have a different outlook.

It totally depends on how the other person feels.  Things could get nasty with restraining orders, death threats and such.

If the relationship actually mattered I think there'd at least be an attempt by both parties to salvage it.

Well of course you'd side with you comparison =P the fact is, how important are games in your life? Are they a hobby, or an integral part of your life? every job I've had involved games, I met my fiance in an MMORPG, my best friends I met in MMORPGs- so this is likely why I have a different outlook.

If the relationship actually mattered I think there'd at least be an attempt by both parties to salvage it.

Not if the other person really wanted to get out or we're right back to court orders, calling the police, living in fear of a stalker.

• Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Its simple really. Ever watch the cartoon: Make Love, Not Warcraft?

No matter what there will always be tides in the sea and wind that blows against you. These are true for gamers and games as well. There will be the threads to hold the fabric of what we all know together in many situations. I never get offended by them any more, what I do is say: "did you pay for my game?" no then Shut the fuck up. Then I proceed to remind them why I am: "Balls Made Of Steel".

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Did you really just compare a relationship with an MMO?

And how exactly does a player, fix, an MMO? His analogy was correct.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The day where new MMOs are coming out all the time to suit all types of playstyles is when I'll be happy but right now the genre feels so shallow to me in the upcoming year. 

With hundreds of MMOs currently available covering countless playstyles and plenty more in development, if you can't find an MMO that caters to your playstyle, the problem isn't MMOs. 

Agreed.  There are no shortage of MMO's no matter what your play style is.  The counter on this site reads, Games: 642.  

?? Really?  Pardon my ignorance but despite searching for a couple of years now I have yet to find a game that meets my desired playstyle. Given your wide knowledge of the topic can you please point me at the titles that meet my requirements.

• No PvP, none at all
    • No SciFi themes I want a high fantasy game without gadgets and gizmos
    • No twitch play, with a 300ms lag and aging reflexes twitch play has no interest for me
    • Content and game mechanics geared towards players who want to play 40 hours a week for several years in the same virtual world.
    • Open world play not endless repetition of the same 5 dungeons
    • Exclusive first person view point
    I would love to see your list of games that meet that list released in the last 5 years.

That seems to be the point.  The person never thinks it's them.

... but you said "no matter what your play style is." I defined a play style and your response is ... what exactly?  

You seem to be unable to provide an example of a game that meets that play style and have instead resorted to some sort of personal attack. Nor have you provided a game that meets the criteria set by avatarair.

LOL, no it does not make sense to "turn back to page one and read it again?  And then again?  And again?" but it does make sense to prefer to read a 10,000 page epic rather than 1,000 10 page short stories. 

The total amount of content provided in any themepark MMO you care to name is insufficient to play for years without repeating content.  So even if a game did devote all of it's resources to just one content type, you still wouldn't be getting your 10,000 page epic, and regardless of what the length did end up being, you would still have to repeat it if you wanted to play for years without taking breaks.  Devoting yourself entirely to a single game is an inefficient way to consume content.  

If we throw out the premise of the "one game to rule them all" that you play for a decade, then what argument is left for limiting games to a single content type?  Why doesn't it make more sense to play a game for what you enjoy, then move on to another game and play it for what you enjoy?  The amount of total enjoyment you get out of playing just the parts you like of ten different games for a year each is probably more than you can even theoretically squeeze out of a single game over ten years, no matter how much you start out loving it, because everything gets old eventually.

The Force shall free me.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Try being someone who enjoys MMORPGs, but hates instances. Then tell me it's hard to find a game to play.

Not if the other person really wanted to get out or we're right back to court orders, calling the police, living in fear of a stalker.

Well I said both parties if it mattered.

And I said try to salvage it, not push boundaries. You can do one without doing the other (both ways)