Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion frowning on 1.0 and US / EU beta countdown to launch starting March 2014

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This is really a recap of what has been happening in the past couple weeks.

Trion devs traveled to Korea and are now in communications about what US / EU customers actually want in their sandbox game.  Trion wants this game to deliver, and deliver hard.

MMOCulture also did an article (http://www.mmoculture.com/2014/02/archeage-latest-game-progress-update-posted-by-trion-worlds/)

Some quotes from them:

Trion Worlds apparently got wind of the recent 1.0 update dispatched in the Korean server, which led to mass uproar from the community over there. Concerns were made across, and Trion Worlds and XLGAMES will continue to share information and data.

Finally, Trion Worlds will be at Game Developer’s Conference in San Francisco in March, “which will officially begin the drumbeat to beta and beyond.

From Trion's webcast I believe they are sincerely trying to work with XLGames to find a nice non-P2W, non-grind solution.  I have a huge amount of faith, seeing as how Rift has a nice model.  AA is said to be the same model as Rift, or very similar.

The original update from Tion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7nyvfhyp34

It's long winded...

But Trion says the Beta countdown for ArcheAge begins at their March conventions!!!  Hell yeah!

HELL YEAH!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Trion are an awesome bunch and i can't think of anyone better for handling Archeage except maybe Carbine but they aren't publishers, just a studio. During the short time i played Rift, i had several interactions with the Devs who are very friendly and interact a lot with the community, not to mention the awesome F2P model they have.

If Archeage Korea can solve the Patch 1 issues then Trion will definitely help this game prosper in NA/EU.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I just don't see the NA/EU version getting many updates if they're going in a dramatically different direction than the Korean version.
  • SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Nice cast, thanks for the link.
  • MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by reeereee
    I just don't see the NA/EU version getting many updates if they're going in a dramatically different direction than the Korean version.

Agreed. It would be hard to brach off from the creator of the game and set it's own standard.

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

What do you mean by the same model as RIFT?

The curren F2P model or the past P2P one?

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

Trion said several times in their livestreams that they can't obviously copy-paste rift model into AA.

At this point it's all speculation as what we know is that:

1) Trion likes the rift model

2) They can't copy-paste it in AA.

An educated guess would be f2p with preemium sub, and cosmetics in the cash shop (pretty much like mail.ru atm); i'd say possibly bag expansion too.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

At least they are handling the payment model with care.

It can make or break this title.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by MMO-Relic

Agreed. It would be hard to brach off from the creator of the game and set it's own standard.

How on earth is this going to work in the long run ?

The publisher of AA in Russia claim to be essentially running their "own implementation" of AA. Now Trion intend to do the same ? So there will be different versions of the game running in diferent regions in the world ? We're not just talking about different languages here, it's different feature sets and different monetization schemes and other significant things. This is not going to end well...

And we now have an announcement about the start of the countdown to the start of the NA beta ?

ROFLMAO...

That's quite possibly the worst case of PR-spin I've ever seen in the gaming industry !

It's actually worse than Bioware's famous "announcement of an upcoming announcement" !

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Countdown to a beta for a game that's been out for over a year with the same claims of change that every US publisher claims for their game which, if even exists, is unnoticable or unwanted by the playerbase. Just seems like a huge waste of time and money. It seems Korean developers are just better off opening their scripts to people so they can just google translate them. Cause in the end, that's all these publishers are worth. 
  • An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
     The publisher of AA in Russia claim to be essentially running their "own implementation" of AA. Now Trion intend to do the same ? So there will be different versions of the game running in diferent regions in the world ? We're not just talking about different languages here, it's different feature sets and different monetization schemes and other significant things. 

I belive the Japanese AA has been running it's own version for a while now, and has different plans from korean AA (anyone correct me if i'm wrong).

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by MMO-Relic

How on earth is this going to work in the long run ?

The publisher of AA in Russia claim to be essentially running their "own implementation" of AA. Now Trion intend to do the same ? So there will be different versions of the game running in diferent regions in the world ? We're not just talking about different languages here, it's different feature sets and different monetization schemes and other significant things. This is not going to end well...

And we now have an announcement about the start of the countdown to the start of the NA beta ?

ROFLMAO...

That's quite possibly the worst case of PR-spin I've ever seen in the gaming industry !

It's actually worse than Bioware's famous "announcement of an upcoming announcement" !

Indeed. 

Let's take a look at Blade & Soul. NCSoft have stated that there will be only 2 versions of the game, which are the original (Korean) and foreign (CN, RU, JP, TW, etc ) version. Future foreign releases will be based on the CN version. I think the NA version will also using the CN build (if it ever released).

I guess 2 is okay and normal in most mmorpgs, but making 3 different models will require a lot of work from the developer.

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

I really hope Trion doesn't go with the themeparkization of 1.0

I'm enjoying Archeage on russian servers a lot now, can't recall the last time I enjoyed a tab target mmo like this. It's the sandbox features that drive me on, most definitely. If they make it into a themepark, I won't even be trying it.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    "Countdown to beta" begins in March. We'll be lucky if we're playing in English by Christmas. There is still a long road ahead before we get a NA/EU release.