Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Hate

Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

So since the stress test weekend has finished I have seen nothing but bitching from players / testers / children... but what I want to know is why the hate.

1 - Is it the game style? If so what did you think it would be given what we (by we I mean the non Closed beta players) already new about Wildstar it was no surprise that the game play is like it is, so why you suddenly feel necessary to bitch on it?

2 - Is it the graphics? - I accept that the 'cartoony' styled graphics are not to everyone’s taste, but again see point 1?

3 - Is it the fact it’s hub to hub questing with linear learning trees? What were you expecting, what from the dev blogs and comments had led you to think it was any different

4 - Was it all buggy / slow / glitchy? - Well guess what it’s in closed beta, surprisingly this is what you get, I have made many comments in game to players about x/y/z not working at whinging, well that’s what a closed beta is, Sorry boys and girls, but closed / open beta isn't an open invitation to power level and expect everything to work in game like it should

5 - A N Other? - What else did you not like, but not just why did you not like it but what did you think it would be anything different?  

this isn't looking for a reason to bitch / whine / say game x/y/z is better i'm geniunaly trying to find out why the hate for a game that seems to me to be what it said it would be

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Because hate is IN right now ... I also dont understand the hate, as you said, Wildstar is what it said it will be.

BUT WHERE IS THE LOVE ? Wildstar is great :)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Because people need to berate something to affirm their own choice. You see it all the time in sports (not to mention primary school) and wildstar is easy to hate as it is pretty much a reharp of any complaint used against WoW from style to the fact that it is a themepark.

Best to not bother about it. It has no real impact on the game.

This have been a good conversation

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Quazal.A
    So since the stress test weekend has finished I have seen nothing but bitching from players / testers / children... but what I want to know is why the hate.1 - Is it the game style? If so what did you think it would be given what we (by we I mean the non Closed beta players) already new about Wildstar it was no surprise that the game play is like it is, so why you suddenly feel necessary to bitch on it?2 - Is it the graphics? - I accept that the 'cartoony' styled graphics are not to everyone’s taste, but again see point 1?3 - Is it the fact it’s hub to hub questing with linear learning trees? What were you expecting, what from the dev blogs and comments had led you to think it was any different4 - Was it all buggy / slow / glitchy? - Well guess what it’s in closed beta, surprisingly this is what you get, I have made many comments in game to players about x/y/z not working at whinging, well that’s what a closed beta is, Sorry boys and girls, but closed / open beta isn't an open invitation to power level and expect everything to work in game like it should5 - A N Other? - What else did you not like, but not just why did you not like it but what did you think it would be anything different?   this isn't looking for a reason to bitch / whine / say game x/y/z is better i'm geniunaly trying to find out why the hate for a game that seems to me to be what it said it would be

I'm neutral on this game, But i can't elaborate on any points of the weekend "marketing" beta because of the NDA.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    I recommend reading the plethora of other threads as every possible reason to love/hate any game are fully covered in astounding detail already ;)
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

It was the combat that killed it for me actually.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Because hate is IN right now ... I also dont understand the hate, as you said, Wildstar is what it said it will be.

This, and because some people might view that there is a rivalry between Wildstar and TESO though why I don't really know (see the TESO vs. Wildstar threads that have been posted ad nauseum). As far as gamestyles go, they offer different things, so again I do not understand why it has to be one vs. the other.

Most of the hate seems to be framed by this "rivalry" though there are a few people who have tried it and genuinely did not like it (boring start areas apparently, and too much like WoW). I honestly don't know if one can really give much weight to these opinions though because of the NDA being in place. I would rather the NDA be lifted and find out more details before judging whether I buy it or not.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Yeah I'm not sure why the hate. Hate is a strong word. The thing about Wildstar imo, is if its gonna be your first ever MMORPG....you are in for a treat. It'll be a great experience. But like most of us, we have been around the block so to see another AAA game come out that offers nothing new that is not already out and expect a subscription for it is a little crazy.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    The hate is normal when 2 mmo's that have potential to be great to have hate wars on this site.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

There are at least 3 categories of critics.

1) the bandwagoneers, coz hating is cool. Easy to identify by having accounts with <10 posts and writing a page long essay with CAPS LOCK stuck on. Haters gonna hate.

2) critics who honestly tried the game and ended up being disappointed for some reason. These folks should just move on. Maybe they try to dissuade people from playing, so that the next game that they think is actually great can get it's critical mass of players sooner. But if Wildstar is really as terrible as they think it is it'll bomb in a month and players will move on to what the critics think is the next best think since sliced bread.

3) honest feedback on what people liked or disliked. For the most part, unless this is about fairly limited or superficial things, this is pretty pointless. Wildstar won't adopt WoW like wallpaper of actionbars at this point. It won't change the cartoony look. Housing won't get axed, the time spent on it miraculously refunded and spent on redeveloping feature X.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

So since the stress test weekend has finished I have seen nothing but bitching from players / testers / children... but what I want to know is why the hate.

1 - Is it the game style? If so what did you think it would be given what we (by we I mean the non Closed beta players) already new about Wildstar it was no surprise that the game play is like it is, so why you suddenly feel necessary to bitch on it?

2 - Is it the graphics? - I accept that the 'cartoony' styled graphics are not to everyone’s taste, but again see point 1?

3 - Is it the fact it’s hub to hub questing with linear learning trees? What were you expecting, what from the dev blogs and comments had led you to think it was any different

4 - Was it all buggy / slow / glitchy? - Well guess what it’s in closed beta, surprisingly this is what you get, I have made many comments in game to players about x/y/z not working at whinging, well that’s what a closed beta is, Sorry boys and girls, but closed / open beta isn't an open invitation to power level and expect everything to work in game like it should

5 - A N Other? - What else did you not like, but not just why did you not like it but what did you think it would be anything different?  

this isn't looking for a reason to bitch / whine / say game x/y/z is better i'm geniunaly trying to find out why the hate for a game that seems to me to be what it said it would be

Combination of 2 things mostly:

1) These forums in particular are notorious for people bitching about absolutely EVERYTHING, regardless of how good or bad a game actually is.

2) This is what happens when you have a community (not necessarily you personally), who has consistantly gone into other game's forums, bashed their games, and talked up how great WildStar is. In particular, I've seen a lot of people fail to own up to the fact that the game plays nearly identical to WoW. People are so scared of the 'WoW-clone' stigma, that they will use every justification to convince themselves (and others) that their game of choice is different.

[mod edit]

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Yeah the hate is baseless really, they dont like it so what the only way that it effects those of us that do is we get a better in game community. So Wildstar FTW yo.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Yeah hate is trending worldwide right now.

[mod edit]

P.s. I have lost faith in the gamer community when it comes to actually knowing what they want to play, people these days live with to many illusions and delusions for any of these products to really work. And if they don't have illusions or delusions they have to few of those and are unable to wield their imagination in a striking manner.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The issue is boredom and marketing.

Those who were disappointment with Wildstar from playing have their experiences which are true for them and need to be addressed, if any of of their criticisms are true for many others then Carbine have a problem.

Comparing the marketing with ESO is fascinating, Carbine in my opinion did everything right, they hyped this up good, with a consistent in style, funny, and informative presentation, whereas Zenimax have done mistake after mistake, I have been left cold by pretty much everything they are done to promote ESO. And then I played both of them....

[mod edit]

ESO on the other hand seems to be far better than Zenimax's bad marketing and financial decisions let on, as an mmo. Its problem is being seen as a watered down Skyrim. And just in case you call "expectations bias" I did not go into ESO expecting crap, I knew Zeni were making the game look worse than it was already, and didn't delude myself into thinking you could replicate the single player games in every way in an mmo. WIth both games I went in with a reasonable mind set, and my brain told me what it found stimulating.

[mod edit]

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70
    This thread is essentially asking people to violate the NDA, I'm not sure why the game's supporters would encourage that sort of thing. 
  • EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

I get some people don't like Wildstar. Myself included, I just didn't like the beta at all. I wanted to, because I have a bunch of openings in my gaming rotation, especially after leaving WoW.

However, any MMO forums, will have tons of complaining, and Wildstar, gets the most praise, over any of the new MMOs out or coming out. Yes even over EQN, due to many concerns I won't get into.

I'm a ESO fan, and loved my time in the beta. Bought three imperial editions, one for myself, and the other two as gifts. I am really starting to think, you are getting Wildstar's hate confused with ESO.

Every ESO column is dominated with a perceived average of 70-75% hate, and usually, some of that hate involved people loving Wildstar and wanting to play it. So I guess, we are reading different stuff.

"What tastes like purple?"

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I have absolutely no reason to hate this game. But I have absolutely no reason to love it either.

I don't plan on playing it, because it just doesn't look like something I would like. But if they offer a free trial, I'll check it out. Buying an MMO I haven't tried? Nope, I've stopped doing that.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204

I'm 90% sure that the worst of the hate is from people who -thought- they wanted another game that copied the WoW formula, then, after playing, couldn't figure out why they dislike the game, not realizing that they burned out on the treadmill a long time ago.  It's the same thing we've seen happen with a number of WoW-like releases.

The fact that most of the haters found themselves really enjoying ESO is more proof of their misconstrued belief as to their own preferences in games.  Wildstar is good for the people that want more of the same, and ESO is the closest thing we have to a decent departure.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

OP the answer is as simple as doing a search for topics with similar headings.

People hate on all MMOs when they first get their hands on them.  I've seen this topic name go by for about every new released game that fit's this site's description.

People love to complain, they feel entitled to do so.

That is why.

• Bonez005Bonez005 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by tawess

Because people need to berate something to affirm their own choice. You see it all the time in sports (not to mention primary school) and wildstar is easy to hate as it is pretty much a reharp of any complaint used against WoW from style to the fact that it is a themepark.

Best to not bother about it. It has no real impact on the game.

Well said, however its difficult to not bother about it since it seems to be a growing trend where if people cry loud enough, the devs discard their vision and make drastic changes because they think a handful of tears means the world for some reason. Gone are the days when the devs made the games and the players played them.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

This is because, when they reach a certain size, communities cannot mechanically be formed by the love for things but rather by hating on (often foreign) things, finding a common enemy, etc.

Now, a month ago or so (previous beta and before) the hate and focus was on TESO. Hating on TESO was cool. Now that the prospects are looking better for TESO (everyone loves lvl 10+, even "Angry Child"), *vistors* of this website (I blame you! Yes, reader... - You - visitor of this website, part of this community) now complain on Wildstar which has fallen from grace.

It was simply the easiest (closest, biggest, most obvious) target now that TESO has become the new messiah. Even a developer fart is currently seen as an "awesome feature" to be argued for in TESO forums.

(No, this isn't Wildstar's fault. It still is the same game it was before, whatever that means... Just that the direction of the wind is changing and the leaves are flying).

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I'm sorry, I would like to apologize on behalf of the ESO forum section.... you see after NDA went up and all the liars and trolls got called out, they went to WildStar.  After WildStar forums will be ArcheAge or EQN, the nomadic mmorpg.com troll is an elusive and mysterious creature.  It will get worse before it gets better, but at least they are still a ways away from launch so they have a lot they can still improve on in WildStar, just try to give constructive feed back.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, the WildStar beta is still under NDA. Please save your game experiences and opinions for after it is dropped.

Edit: further violations were posted after my post. Just locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.