Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Rift linear?

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
The class customization and F2P have caught my attention, but I'm worried that the gameplay will be like most MMORPGs where you start in area A, do all those quests, go to area B, rinse and repeat.  Is there any freedom for what areas you go to and what quests you do?

Me

Her

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It is standard quest hub from point a to b. You can mix it up yourself a little by doing Rift events, instant adventures, and dungeons. But the main bulk of the leveling experience lies in quest hub to quest hub

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,537
    Originally posted by fivetigers
    The class customization and F2P have caught my attention, but I'm worried that the gameplay will be like most MMORPGs where you start in area A, do all those quests, go to area B, rinse and repeat.  Is there any freedom for what areas you go to and what quests you do?

yes it linear, nothing new here

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,294

The zones are tiered and it is essentially a linear experience. You can do a variety of things as you level. You don't have to do one thing to level, but you're going from 1 to 60 and gear is progressive.

One way things are open is that you can lower your effective level. There is a restrictive band, but say you're level 50 and you want to play in a level 25 area. You can turn your level back down to 25 and fight the content as if you were a level 25 character. You're actually likely much more powerful than a true level 25 character though as you will have your level 50 skills and gear, but your effectiveness is scaled back. It can still make the content challenging as you can adjust it a bit above or below the monster level as desired.

There are also alternate activities such as crafting, collections, and dimensions to participate in. So it's not entirely about leveling and gear progression.

The game is heavily raid-centric. That is the gear progression is based and balanced around raid gear. You can get nice gear outside of raids and there are unique mounts, pets, and appearance gear outside of raids. However, the best gear, with a couple token exceptions, is going to be found in raids. You can enjoy the rest of the game without that, but I thought it important to point out.

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    its linear like wow but lacks wow's large zones with hidden rares until you get to storm legion zones where the game actually does open up quite a bit. Each zone has achievements and rares to chase but its only a few and you can pretty much complete every zone objective unless its a grind objective in a matter of a couple of hours.