Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So these are the classes?

joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Warrior - Tank/DPS
Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
Medic - Heal/DPS
Engineer - DPS/CC/Heal/Tank/Do the dishes/Go grocery shopping/ Did I miss anything?
Stalker - DPS/Tank

So basically, most of the classes...can welll...do everything?

Tell me...why in the hell would I play a Spellslinger over a Medic? Or better yet, why don't I just play an Engineer and be amazing at everything?

Why can't a Medic JUST heal? An Esper JUST do CC and dome DPS? A warrior JUST tank? A Spellslinger JUST do DPS?

What is with these game developers making a "lets just make 6 classes that can do everything!"

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

/facepalm

Get your facts straight then we will talk.

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139
    Wow dishes too?
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by joejccva71

Warrior - Tank/DPS
    Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Engineer - DPS/CC/Heal/Tank/Do the dishes/Go grocery shopping/ Did I miss anything?
    Stalker - DPS/Tank

Tell me...why in the hell would I play a Spellslinger over a Medic? Or better yet, why don't I just play an Engineer and be amazing at everything?

Why can't a Medic JUST heal? An Esper JUST do CC and dome DPS? A warrior JUST tank? A Spellslinger JUST do DPS?

What is with these game developers making a "lets just make 6 classes that can do everything!"

Don't play it then bro - you can watch everyone else having fun and playing it on twitch instead. 

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by GlacianNex
    /facepalmGet your facts straight then we will talk.

I just watched two videos on the classes and there are FOUR healers out of SIX total classes.

What's your point?

• PrimaltarianPrimaltarian Member Posts: 4

Because maybe you enjoy the playstyle of a Spellsplinger over a Medic. Maybe you want to tank but do not want to play an Engineer or Warrior, you like the stealthy aspect of the Stalker. At the end of the day allowing multiple classes to fill multiple roles allows people freedom to choose how they want to play the game and have fun. At the end of the day isn't that why we play these games?

Originally posted by Primaltarian
    Originally posted by joejccva71 Tell me...why in the hell would I play a Spellslinger over a Medic? Or better yet, why don't I just play an Engineer and be amazing at everything?  
    Because maybe you enjoy the playstyle of a Spellsplinger over a Medic. Maybe you want to tank but do not want to play an Engineer or Warrior, you like the stealthy aspect of the Stalker. At the end of the day allowing multiple classes to fill multiple roles allows people freedom to choose how they want to play the game and have fun. At the end of the day isn't that why we play these games?

Tell me, name a few other MMO's that have already been released that have gone with this class system method? Do you know what they are?

I can give you hints if you like..

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Loved playing the...

Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Engineer - DPS/CC/Heal/Tank

.........in Beta.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thats crazy speculation you got going on there! Didn't know Engineer could do all that, you know since they are marked as a tank/dps roll and not heal at all... 

Though maybe you got some secret we don't that points them to all be like that, which Im curious to see where you saw anything. :)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

I just watched two videos on the classes and there are FOUR healers out of SIX total classes.

What's your point?

Watch them again.

Engineer is Tank and DPS, Engineer is not a Healer.

Like the other guy said "get your facts straight"

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    You have to specialize in those particular roles, the roles are not really the same.  For example medic dps is more built on debuffing defenses thus allowing more dps in a group setting,  while spellslinger is more of a straightforward approach when it comes to dps.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    So are the classes like GW2 with no certain "roles" or is this an allegedly WoW clone ?
  • AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

OP, youre missing some important details. The classes dont play the same, even if they have same roles. Its like comparing a bow and a gun. They both shoot something and kill something, so why have guns! What differentiates them are their abilities and how they are supposed to be used. Also remember that each class can have only 8 primary abilities active at any given time. So while a Spellslinger and Esper are both ranged dps and healers, they do not play the same. Spellslingers abilities for the most part allow them to move while attacking. Esper abilities for the most part make them stationary while attacking.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

What's your point?

Well if you ever played WoW, and compared a paladin healer to a druid healer for example youd know that while they can both tank, dps or heal, they dont do it the same way and arent useful in all situations equally. You wouldnt want a group of just druid healers or just paladin healers as their healing abilities are not the same and are instead designed to compliment each other, not have one make the other obsolete/pointless.

• RoweinRowein Member Posts: 44

I assure you. I will not be dong dishes. They should have a special addition for those that hate choice. They should have one roll per class. One race per faction. One color shirt per faction.

It could come with a different name.

Maybe they could call it.....Hmmmm...WOW? Yes that's it. let's call it WOW.

Meanwhile I'll play this version.

Rowein

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I think the OP is looking for more clarification on how "good" and different each particular class is at each role. I, in particular, would like to know how healers/healing styles compare, but I don't think that has been 100% established yet as class changes are an ongoing thing. Hopefully there won't be a "best" healer, just different healing styles. I'd discuss further, but I'd be breaking the NDA. If anyone could give more insight, that would be great, but I wouldn't recommend it~
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

So it's bad for classes to have different builds that can do different tasks?

MMORPG fans are a miserable lot.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    So it's bad for classes to have different builds that can do different tasks? MMORPG fans are a miserable lot.

Please think before you post.

Dedicated healers gives a healing class more VALUE. If there are FOUR out of SIX classes that can heal, then it doesn't really have value. This is the EXACT path SWTOR took and that game had merging servers and a f2p model within 2-3 months of release.

I predict the same fate for Wildstar if it does this class model, which it looks like it.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Dedicated healers gives a healing class more VALUE. If there are FOUR out of SIX classes that can heal, then it doesn't really have value. This is the EXACT path SWTOR took and that game had merging servers and a f2p model within 2-3 months of release.

I predict the same fate for Wildstar if it does this class model, which it looks like it.

Actually your completely missing the point. Different classes, Healer for instance, Heal in different ways. Take rift for example. Healing as a Cleric usually involves casting heals upon a target, where as Mage Healing is completely dependant on doing damage to the boss. More damage = More healing. Just because there are several healing classes doesnt mean they are all going to heal the same way.

If we took the game into One healer, One DPS, and One tank. you would have a very boring game, the style and specializeation would be so extreme that you would only find afew people willing to play anything. Thus completely driving the game into the ground.  While Min Maxing is always going to be a key item in every game, Style and Enjoyment will always take seat ahead of it. Because lets face it, if your dont like how the healing class heals, you wont play it. That being said if your given several options into how you can heal you are more likely to enjoy the role.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    OP sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Warrior - Tank/DPS
    Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Stalker - DPS/Tank

I think i basically like their design..... you either are Tank/DPS   or healer DPS...   Thats okay, meaning everyone can bring something to a party and switch to something meaningfull (DPS is not meaningfull in my book) when the party needs it...

But basically every class has 3 skill lines.. DPS, tanking/healing, Utillity..  and no, these classes can certainly not do everything effectively in a single build... 

Its not an immersively deep MMORPG, its a game that you play for fun, and their classdesign really fits that well.... my only petpeeve is there only being 2 mellee classes and just 6 classes in total...  Its where my personal favourite being a melee healer gets missing in action even before the action has started...  But their general classdesign really fits the type of game they have created...  They are not trying to recreate EQ.... but are trying to make the WoW formula even more fun...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Seriously OP... Please think and READ before you post (and watch the vids yet again). Your buildout determines whether or not you want to play a healer or dps, or tank or dps. 

I hate to bring WoW in this... but... think Druid; you can tank, heal, and dps. You can do all of them at the same time, but you'll want to specialize into one for raids and the like. W* is (god I hate saying this) basically the same; you can specialize into one but if you want, you can change your buildout on the fly and specialize into another (the gear will make the difference too... duh). in WoW you dual spec, in W* you can choose your talents and specialize on the fly. Even with that, your gear is going to make a difference too. Building a healer, you'll want to focus on different stats than a dps (same for tank/dps). 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Seriously OP... Please think and READ before you post (and watch the vids yet again). Your buildout determines whether or not you want to play a healer or dps, or tank or dps. 

I hate to bring WoW in this... but... think Druid; you can tank, heal, and dps. You can do all of them at the same time, but you'll want to specialize into one for raids and the like. W* is (god I hate saying this) basically the same; you can specialize into one but if you want, you can change your buildout on the fly and specialize into another (the gear will make the difference too... duh). in WoW you dual spec, in W* you can choose your talents and specialize on the fly. Even with that, your gear is going to make a difference too. Building a healer, you'll want to focus on different stats than a dps (same for tank/dps). 

Basicallu that vanilla wow..

nowerdays all classes have 2 out of 3 ( druids 4) possible builds..... Effectively creating 3 times as many classes...  And mostly dedicated builds..... The swiss knife classes have left WoW some time ago...  Which is actually a pitty.... No freedom of building that special classbuild anymore...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GrimfateGrimfate Member Posts: 7

Each class has 3 possible i guess builds.

1. DPS every class can dps

2. Support tank/heal

3. Utility

________

So with the magic of combining abilities into limited action set we can get different combinations Ill go with Esper as the example.

Esper if you want a bar full of heals thats cool. If your good at straight healing and keeping your people alive more power to you. The trade off though is that most bosses in dungeons can be interrupted and some need to be to make surviving the encounter possible. With just heals you will have to rely on your fellow teammates to be able to silence/stun/knockdown the boss through its interrupt armor. So it might be nice to take a utility skill just in case. 

No class can tank/dps/heal each class only gets dps/1support.. Like everyone else has said Op do a little more research before you start spewing sewage. 

Oh worth mentioning since healing was what the Op was so butthurt about. Each healing class has a unique style. Medic has to be in the fray and is about zone healing because their heals are short range. Where as the Esper can stand back and drop party wide heals with limited targeting. Also Phant Armor which is awesome. Spellslinger im not sure have not seen much healing from them, but what I have seen is they are long ranged straight line heals. Meaning they can stay back and heal but they have to line up their shots more.

Had to come back and edit....

Utility can include a personal heal or in the Espers case a tanking minion that lasts like 20 seconds. Guess thats why they call it utility. Its not an actual build it is just something you can have if the tank is bad at keeping aggro or your healer cant manage to keep you alive. It wont fill the roll of a tank/healer but it will give them breathing room.

Op troll status::::EPIC

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    @ OP- It appears as though you haven't looked into Wildstar enough yet my friend. Give it a closer inspection and look at it through your own eyes, don't let the backlash from hostile comments persuade you either. I think if you give it a fair look, your assessment of the classes are going to be different than your initial assessment that you posted originally here.