Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Games Armor Mechanics

Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I played through Skyrim and am playing through Oblivion right now.  I also dabbled in Morrowind a bit, but it's combat was a bit too clunky for me.

The way armor increases in Elder Scrolls games is that it increases when you get hit.  I'm not sure if that is the case in the MMO (even having played it for a few hours), but it's a horrible mechanic.  In many cases you have to get hit intentionally to raise the armor skill you would like.  It's not even realistic.

A more realistic approach would be to have skill increases simply for attacking while wearing said armor.  Getting accustomed to moving and attacking while wearing said armor is what would make you more skilled in it.  If people needed to be hit by an enemies weapon to increase their skill in using armor then they would be dead. 

This mechanic is horrible boring because the skill usually goes up fairly slowly.  It's why I usually play a mage in ES game that doesn't use anything but cloth armor (no skill associated with it).

The ES games generally haven't had the best leveling/skill leveling system ever.  Skyrim is probably the best they have done so far.  Oblivion isn't terrible, but it's annoying at times.  Especially the way attributes increase when leveling up.

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

someone answered this for me yesterday:

Originally posted by Arataki
    The more pieces of the same type you wear, the faster it levels. ESO has a hybrid leveling system. You get flat exp. That number is applied to your overall level, and it is also applied separately to each "skill" you are currently using.

So you will come across situations where you hand in a quest by talking to someone, and your Heavy Armor levels up. It not quite "exp = damage taken" equation Skyrim used for armor.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by arieste

The more pieces of the same type you wear, the faster it levels. ESO has a hybrid leveling system. You get flat exp. That number is applied to your overall level, and it is also applied separately to each "skill" you are currently using.

So you will come across situations where you hand in a quest by talking to someone, and your Heavy Armor levels up. It not quite "exp = damage taken" equation Skyrim used for armor.

I guess the question is then what raises the armor skill.  Is it getting hit in combat?  I noticed that when I leveled up certain skills would increase automatically.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by arieste

I guess the question is then what raises the armor skill.  Is it getting hit in combat?  I noticed that when I leveled up certain skills would increase automatically.

I think that a certain number of points are applied to the skills you have slotted, as well as the weapon and armour you have equipped.

I'm not sure how it works when you unlock the second weapon and skillbar at L15 though.