Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fate of Pantheon?

seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
I was just curious what will be the fate of Pantheon.  It appears that the kickstarter is going to fail.  I have not had time to research what is next for the project but I was looking forward to playing this as they kept releasing more information.  Can any point me towards what they have planned for the project. 

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by seldin
    I was just curious what will be the fate of Pantheon.  It appears that the kickstarter is going to fail.  I have not had time to research what is next for the project but I was looking forward to playing this as they kept releasing more information.  Can any point me towards what they have planned for the project. 

They have already been setting up post Kickstarter funding and are considering publishers and other investors.  It's one of the reasons the Kickstarter hasn't been doing well lately, because they have been focusing their attention elsewhere.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I'm assuming this game will just die before it even begins.  Can't ignore the Kickstarter numbers...only a couple thousand people pledging a few hundred K for a game that would take tens of millions to make...
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Giffen
    I'm assuming this game will just die before it even begins.  Can't ignore the Kickstarter numbers...only a couple thousand people pledging a few hundred K for a game that would take tens of millions to make...

depends - for boardgames i've seen kickstarters resurface

example:

Kings Armory - 1st kickstarter failed,  raising 26k of 72k goal   (39% funded)

the 2nd try succeeded raising almost twice the 49k goal          (184% funded)

http://www.kicktraq.com/search/?find=the+king%27s+armory

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Giffen

It doesn't take tens of millions to make an MMO. it only cost WoW 5 million to produce and older MMO much cheaper than that. The fact is large companies are going way to far over budget for these game and have a less than good quality to show for their investment.

Do some more research before assuming the price it takes to make a product. I can point out countless games that didn't require tens or hundreds of millions.

WoW cost 63 million to make. http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/15/world-of-warcraft-cost-63-million/

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by seldin

They're doing their own Kickstarter-esque thing from their own website with similar perks: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts/750645

The 400k already pledged won't migrate of course though. So they'll be starting from scratch. Meaning a lot of momentum garnered through press, Reddit AMAs, forum visits and etc. will be lost. I'm sure as well some will be discouraged to pledge due to the Kickstarter failing.

But for those actually wishing this'll come to fruition, there'll be the above at least.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Seems like the market have spoken.

Now ofc 800K is a fart in space of the costs involved with a large scale project like this. But it might be hard to get real investors aboard if the KS does not take flight, It would point to a weak market and a high risk of any return being eaten.

After all investors use metacritic as a tool to gauge how well a game does.

This have been a good conversation

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I wouldn't begin to think that the developers of this game would rely solely upon the funds raised by Kickstarter campaigns.  If i was in there position, before i even launched a kickstarter campaign i would have some development revenue already set in stone.  I would also use KS revenue as a supplement to the primary fund.  Guaranteed > Non-guaranteed.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by AIMonster

They have already been setting up post Kickstarter funding and are considering publishers and other investors.  It's one of the reasons the Kickstarter hasn't been doing well lately, because they have been focusing their attention elsewhere.

The lack of interaction with backers/potential backers, from the Pantheon team, from the beginning has been pitiful. It's clear they had no clue how to run their kickstarter and instead of fighting to the end they gave up weeks into it. Taking that as an indication to how they will be with Pantheon, I will be leave it in the rear view and forget about it. They clearly aren't focused and determined enough.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by tawess

Now ofc 800K is a fart in space of the costs involved with a large scale project like this. But it might be hard to get real investors aboard if the KS does not take flight, It would point to a weak market and a high risk of any return being eaten.

Was the highlighted sarcasm?  They most certainly do not.  They go by sales figures.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by AIMonster
    Originally posted by tawess

Was the highlighted sarcasm?  They most certainly do not.  They go by sales figures.

It was partially sarcasm... Partially the fact that any game that does not reach a 80:ish+ on MC is considered a flopp.. I am going to see if i can find the " " but that was what it boiled down to. Then there is also that rumour that studios get a "you must reach the reviewscore or you don´t get all your money"-clause in their contracts... =)

But yes it was mostly a little =P to the whole mess that is the relationship between entertainment products and the people that fund them.

This have been a good conversation