Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: The NDA Lifts

Comments

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    The tutorial needs to be optional after one character goes through it. Hell, I would happy if they made it optional altogether. You gain a level after killing 2 skeletons...

Linear, uninspired and a bit boring the first time for me, but it served its purpose, emulating the Kingdoms if Amalur intro.

Going through the second time was a race to click any dialogue option, or world/item interface to get it over as quickly as possible. Useless.

The game itself grew on me as I played. I ignored quests and just explored and crafted for a lot of the time. That system works for my

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Wasn't really hooked until I finally died a few times around lv 7 or 8.  Groups of 3+ were actually dangerous to my characer.  I played a few different class/race/weapon/armor combos over three betas.  Many have a different feel.  Hell I can see playing the exact same combo and still having a very different feel, depending on what skills you pick and how you decide to morph said skills.

I wasn't sure after first weekend, but the other two weekends just drew me in more and more.

I will be playing.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Awesome!  Each beta I played a toon to level 5 and had a blast.  TESO is going to be a great mmorpg!

Sz

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    There is something truly sad about people admitting to playing for like 5 minutes and deciding the game sucks. But, considering those same people were probably the folks repeatedly asking where Makrik's wife was, I think we dodged a bullet...
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

NDA lifts so I can say few things:

- Boring and grindy quests

- Boring and grindy crafting (very grindy crafting)

- F2P in less than 18 months

- Zergy PVP with no courage to do it right. 3 pre-defined alliances... why????? Why not allow people to organize themselves?????

And the courage to ask for purchasing fee and monthly fee at the same time??? Yeah... profiting on the people who (like myself) have grown up with elder scrolls. Sorry folks, I will not be ripped off based on my sentiment towards the past.

I understand some of you want to believe that this is a good game but the sooner you realise this is fake the sooner you can move on towards something that really rings your bells.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Like many I expect this game to eventually go FTP, but I have pre-ordered and plan to absolutely savour this game until all the ftp douchebags enter in a few years time.

I'm happy to pay $225/year for this privilege.

I may well be the last person to hit L50 from the ones that pre-order, but I'll explore every blade of grass and have a ball doing so.

TS Eliot  was wrong, April is not the cruellest month, April gives us ESO (it will be April 1st in Australia) and Game of Thrones S4. You beauty.

My one qualm with the game at this stage is lock-picking for people with 300 ping. Its not fun. I've asked that the time you get to do the lock-picking is proportional to your average ping but in reality I don't expect them to fix it. Good to hear that the red outline can be turned off.

Cannot wait for my Norn Templar to get started.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• neilcc55neilcc55 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Zenimax/Bethesda made a big step forwards with fallout3 and skyrim. This is a BIG step backwards. The people responsible should be shot.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Handing over money for this subpar product is like corporate welfare. If you must purchase it, I recommend that you at least opt for a monthly subscription. The countdown to server merges and f2p will be fast.
  • silverhazesilverhaze Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by junzo316
    Ii just didn't work for me.  I felt bored and I had trouble focusing my attention during the "tutorial" stages.  It felt like Rift to me in that sense, where the game just doesn't grab you and pull you in.  I felt it was like a chore logging in to the rest of the beta.  The game seems to run fine, and doesn't seem overly complicated.  The animations felt a bit clunky to me as well.  Anyway, I think this game is a pass for me.  I enjoyed Skyrim, but this seems like it strayed a bit too far from that in my opinion.

I feel almost the same. Got bored within days. This is a pass for me aswell, unless i win a key from mmorpg (lol). It's not sandbox enough for me. To many boring quests. Not enough freedom.

I got the feeling, that the next traditional MMO which is really trying to bring what i'm looking for might be "the repopulation".... ESO for sure is not. 

!hasta la victoria siempre!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Machination

It's going back to the great basics of what had been lost to us and making some improvements along the way. It does such a great job of blending theme park and sandbox elements into a seamless hybrid without all the world jarring elements that a sandbox game can bring. 

It's easy to make the mistake of dismissing how this opens up later on. Some fail to realize that not all people jumping into this are MMO vets and need to have that walk-through tutorial. So, just pull up your proverbial big boy pants and you'll be fine. 

Also, it's simply amazing to me that paying for something makes it less fun but then have it free and weeeee, you're having a blast, hehe. Like having a monetary psyche magically makes that much more fun. Absurdity ensues. 

If it hadn't been done better elsewhere, I would say you have a point.  BUT, it's been done better elsewhere.  Age of Conan is an example of how to do a tutorial and starter zone right.  Granted, it let us down after you left the starter zone, but that's another topic.  A tutorial is fine for newbs, but needs to grab you.  ESO's tutorial is horribly boring as is the Starting Areas due to lack of giving the player previews of things to come.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    I felt the same way since my first Beta invite. These last couple of Beta's though have been so good. The game is so polished, after the few crashes from over load of servers it really cleans up and no lag ever. I can't wait to play!
  • ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

well took forever to get a key.than i downloaded,that took forever,than it PATCHED,and the patch was half as big as the game.that was first problem,they did  not even post a patched version. 35gb of down load on a metered service thanks. 10gb for the patch. than i played the game,yes its beta,they can make an announcement when they take servers down,2-3 times it went down,no clue as to why.

the game play was okay,i hate the fact they give you all these skill than so oh wait you can only use 5 or so,pick your best one you like and well forget the rest.

the quests were the only saving grace of it,found them interesting and thought out.i will pass on it though as a major part of the game is the pvp part,why do i want to pay for a full game and only use half of it.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I used to be really really hyped for wildstar, and ESO wasnt anywhere on my radar, I havent been following it at all.  After playing the betas, that has completely reversed.  ESO is probably the first game in a long time where I didnt even care that I was leveling, I was just happy playing the game.

Wildstar im on the fence about right now.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    So many people have underestimated this game but the facts are this game is an Elder Scrolls game but also a new innovative MMORPG, Zenimax has done it right and most of the haters who now played for longer than 1 hour realize how stupid they were haha.

Apparently the people trashing this game after the last beta didn't realize a few hours isn't enough to learn much of anything when starting an MMORPG, play for a week to a month than you have enough time to see if its bad.

Mystery Bounty

• jacker1991jacker1991 Member UncommonPosts: 191

Originally posted by MysteryB
    So many people have underestimated this game but the facts are this game is an Elder Scrolls game but also a new innovative MMORPG, Zenimax has done it right and most of the haters who now played for longer than 1 hour realize how stupid they were haha.

Apparently the people trashing this game after the last beta didn't realize a few hours isn't enough to learn much of anything when starting an MMORPG, play for a week to a month than you have enough time to see if its bad.

LOLS!

[mod edit]

So, this is what MMORPGs have been reduced to, so sad.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Every MMO I've ever enjoyed grabbed me and blew me away in the first hour of play.  It shouldn't take a month or more to see if you like a game.  It SHOULD take a month or more to see if you enjoy mid to elder gameplay in said MMO.  Big difference.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    No raiding. Says it all.

Pass

No raiding.  Says it all.

Buy.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    5is plenty and since at lvl 15 u can switch weapons with ease u have a second hot bar with different abilities giving u 2 different roles (weapon decides role) and 10 abilities :P

I agree with this. I personally do not miss the WoW/EQ2/Rift style of having 3(sometimes more) hotbars filled up to the brim with more abilities than even necessary. Hell, at least when I played rift, most people in end game PvE/PvP had a few macros set up because managing dozens of abilities at once is boring as hell, and setting up the macros so you can use just a few buttons was way more efficient, and ultimately more fun. 

So for me, I'd rather have two sets of 5 skills + 1 Ultimate any day with a large number of skills to choose from for a more specialized set up, than dealing with stacks of hotbars or setting up macros any day.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    No raiding. Says it all.

Pass

Not true mate. Reading this review from a long term Beta Tester: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/02/eso-isariis-comprehensive-review/ then there will be somewhat of Raids. But perhaps not in the Traditional way as we know them. Look here where it says:

"Adventure Zones - These are ESO‘s take on traditional raiding, and designed with groups of twelve in mind. Unfortunately little is known about them at this time, other than that one will allegedly be in for launch. If that’s truly the case, I’m hoping we’ll be able to get our hands on it soon."

I think atm it is hard to keep track of all the tidbits some of us looking for. So much to read across the Internt atm image

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    For reals? Okay, listen up. THE STARTER AREAS ARE ONLY ON RAILS AND BORING IF YOU STAY ON THE TRAIN. Run off and check out things that appear on your compass and you will find stuff you would not have been led to. Unless you're in the Daggerfall Covenant, there's not much outside of the quest line in the starter islands compared to the Aldmeri Dominion. Which is pretty fucking stupid.
  • Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I know I am wasting my time typing this but whatever. The "lack" of abilities people keep complaining about is completely a non factor. Whether you play WoW, Rift, or LOTRO you always end up not using more than 5-8 skills on average. You find the skills that do the most damage while maximizing your abilities the most. Even in games like Rift, where you may us 10-20 skills, you resort to macros in order to have that down to a manageable number, like 3-6. This has been in MMOs since forever, and it is nice to have the skill bar shrunk. Does it make more sense to be staring at/managing your bars, or watching the action play out on screen? There is much more that goes into this game than the amount of skills you have, such as picking how to evolve said skill. Better yet, do you evolve the skill or do you expand your skill library and replace a skill you have come to enjoy, or do you go for the less damage AOE route vs the mass damage single target? This game does a great job of actually giving you the choice of playing how you want to play, not the illusion of it with 50 skills to choose from, when everyone chooses the same 5 to play with anyways.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Can someone make the case for $225 for the first year, in a market with many, comparable F2P fantasy MMOs?

Yeah I can.

I base my time usage on doing things I want to do or that have value.

I wouldn't spend an hour in a f2p game (or p2p game for that matter) that I didn't want to play. I don't really like most of the f2p games out so they essentially "don't exist".

I've enjoyed my time in ESO and therefore it's worth my money. Since I am a person who has no problems paying for my entertainment and since $225 isn't a lot of money over the course of a year (I will spend several times that on movies and concerts and will easily spend twice that going to N.Y. for an Opera and hotel and lunch/dinner for just a weekend) I can say that it is a good use of money provided that each month I pay the subscription I feel that I am enjoying myself.

Not sure if that's what you want to hear but "there it is".

That's a great analysis.  I appreciate your thoughtful consideration of the different ESO features and game mechanics that differentiate this game for others, as well as make a case for longevity and re-play.  The way you listed specifics game play elements in ESO and showed how they are beyond any of the F2P games was very well done.  You could have just said something like "well, just because!" or "its only money" and come off as a raving fanboy, totally blind to the mundane.  I am sold!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by elocke

Every MMO I've ever enjoyed grabbed me and blew me away in the first hour of play.  It shouldn't take a month or more to see if you like a game.  It SHOULD take a month or more to see if you enjoy mid to elder gameplay in said MMO.  Big difference.

This.  The starter zone is badly designed.  Going to turn off a lot of players.   I did not get to play much of the beta, I hope the rest of the game is a lot better.  I see a lot of people throwing the "sandbox" word around here, make no mistake this game is a themepark still.

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Can someone make the case for $225 for the first year, in a market with many, comparable F2P fantasy MMOs?

Yeah I can.

I base my time usage on doing things I want to do or that have value.

I wouldn't spend an hour in a f2p game (or p2p game for that matter) that I didn't want to play. I don't really like most of the f2p games out so they essentially "don't exist".

I've enjoyed my time in ESO and therefore it's worth my money. Since I am a person who has no problems paying for my entertainment and since $225 isn't a lot of money over the course of a year (I will spend several times that on movies and concerts and will easily spend twice that going to N.Y. for an Opera and hotel and lunch/dinner for just a weekend) I can say that it is a good use of money provided that each month I pay the subscription I feel that I am enjoying myself.

Not sure if that's what you want to hear but "there it is".

That's a great analysis.  I appreciate your thoughtful consideration of the different ESO features and game mechanics that differentiate this game for others, as well as make a case for longevity and re-play.  The way you listed specifics game play elements in ESO and showed how they are beyond any of the F2P games was very well done.  You could have just said something like "well, just because!" or "its only money" and come off as a raving fanboy, totally blind to the mundane.  I am sold!

He made the case for himself to buy the game, how about instead of asking the world what you want, you tell them what you want. If you don't like the game then fine, don't like it. But don't come in here and crap all over a forum because you can't come up with an intelligent post. You saying the game offers nothing new, and therefore should not be paid for, is no different than someone saying they enjoy a game and are willing to pay for it. Personally I love the game, I am not a huge ES fan, but as an MMO I am having a blast, much more than I have had in any game that has come out in the last 3 years. The active combat, the skill system (evolution), the PvP, the stories being told by each quest, just all of it comes together to make a great game. It isn't a perfect game, and there are still a ton of bugs that need to be worked out, but the game isn't theme-park, and it isn't sandbox, it is a hybrid that is just fun to play. It gives you the opportunity to play the game how you want to play it. Want to run from quest to quest, then do it, want to explore every bit of the world, and pick up all sorts of secrets along the way, then do it, want to play a plate wearing, fireball shooting, back stabbing, potion making, lizard? THEN DO IT. If you don't want to pay for it, then DON'T do it, the choice is ultimately up to you, so YOU need to figure out for yourself, why do YOU want to pay for it. I won't come ask you why I should buy a house someplace, or a car, or anything in my life, so don't ask me why you should spend your money. Ask yourself, how do you want to spend your money.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I only made it to level 10 but I was thoroughly unimpressed by the game. I am also looking for something different than what is already out there and ESO is not that.