Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW 2013 Revenue is 977mil$ (By SuperData)

World of warcraft 2013 microtransactions Revenue is 213mil$ (By superdata)

In superdata twitter (january 16th)

WOW 2013 Subscription revenue + 2013 MTX revenue (21.8%) = 977mil$

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Thanks for the info though. That puts yet another fail on superdata's portfolio.

Still waiting on someone paying the $5,000 paywall for the meaty bits of data.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If this number is true and considering the other years of higher revenue,does the game look like a game worth supporting with those kind of numbers?

With that kind of money Blizzard could license the best engine on the planet ,be it the Unreal 4 or Cry Engien or whatever,they could license Physx and any otehr version,they could hire a team, to completely revamp the textures and port the game over to a better engine and still make more money than OTHER games.

Point is they COULD improve the game to 2014 standards but don't need to,they have a following that will keep giving them money no matter what.It also proves that although Blizzard could upgrade the game substantially,they don't care to give back to their supporters,they rather leech them than be FAIR.I said and still say the same things about CCP and Eve online,why support developers who obviously don't show the same love back to the players?

They are more than happy to take your money but give back,they look the other way.You would also THINK with that kind of revenue coming from the players,they might actually add content for FREE,well it actually wouldn't be free the players are making them millions!!.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

WoWs total revenue is no higher than 805 or 912 Million if you take in deferred revenues. Thats by now official.Estimating WoWs anual revenue, after 3/4 of the year was already officially released by Blizzard and the last 3 months of the year have not seen any major events, is not really a hard feat.Even a simple linear extrapolation (not respecting seasonal fluctation) would put me at an 804/950 Million USD NON-GAAP/GAAP estimate. An error of 0.1%. /  4.16% after a Minute of work.For superguesswork.com though it seem to be. These wannabe "researcher" are off by 21.36 %/ 7.12% (even when 3/4 of the work was already done) by effecitvely declaring them at 977 USD saying 213 Million are 21.8% of the total.Take their poor guesses with a grain of salt.Thanks for the info though. That puts yet another fail on superdata's portfolio.
    You've were saying this in the NCSoft thread and you were asked for proof or links but gave none.

Are you going to finally offer some kind of proof to your claims?

Why should we believe you as opposed to a data collection website with contacts in the industry?

Originally posted by Xiaoki

WoWs total revenue is no higher than 805 or 912 Million if you take in deferred revenues. Thats by now official.

Estimating WoWs anual revenue, after 3/4 of the year was already officially released by Blizzard and the last 3 months of the year have not seen any major events, is not really a hard feat.Even a simple linear extrapolation (not respecting seasonal fluctation) would put me at an 804/950 Million USD NON-GAAP/GAAP estimate. An error of 0.1%. /  4.16% after a Minute of work.For superguesswork.com though it seem to be. These wannabe "researcher" are off by 21.36 %/ 7.12% (even when 3/4 of the work was already done) by effecitvely declaring them at 977 USD saying 213 Million are 21.8% of the total.Take their poor guesses with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the info though. That puts yet another fail on superdata's portfolio.

You've were saying this in the NCSoft thread and you were asked for proof or links but gave none.

Are you going to finally offer some kind of proof to your claims?

Why should we believe you as opposed to a data collection website with contacts in the industry?

Contacts behind a $5,000 or $4,000 pay wall?

So who's trying to blind who?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

WoWs total revenue is no higher than 805 or 912 Million if you take in deferred revenues. Thats by now official.

Estimating WoWs anual revenue, after 3/4 of the year was already officially released by Blizzard and the last 3 months of the year have not seen any major events, is not really a hard feat.

Even a simple linear extrapolation (not respecting seasonal fluctation) would put me at an 804/950 Million USD NON-GAAP/GAAP estimate. An error of 0.1%. /  4.16% after a Minute of work.

For superguesswork.com though it seem to be. These wannabe "researcher" are off by 21.36 %/ 7.12% (even when 3/4 of the work was already done) by effecitvely declaring them at 977 USD saying 213 Million are 21.8% of the total.

Take their poor guesses with a grain of salt.

Wow, so you're actually working with Blizzard and getting information from Blizzard on the spending habits of their American, Europpean, Chinese and South American players?  Tell us how you did it!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Estimating WoWs anual revenue, after 3/4 of the year was already officially released by Blizzard and the last 3 months of the year have not seen any major events, is not really a hard feat.

Even a simple linear extrapolation (not respecting seasonal fluctation) would put me at an 804/950 Million USD NON-GAAP/GAAP estimate. An error of 0.1%. /  4.16% after a Minute of work.

For superguesswork.com though it seem to be. These wannabe "researcher" are off by 21.36 %/ 7.12% (even when 3/4 of the work was already done) by effecitvely declaring them at 977 USD saying 213 Million are 21.8% of the total.

Wow, so you're actually working with Blizzard and getting information from Blizzard on the spending habits of their American, Europpean, Chinese and South American players?  Tell us how you did it!

Well, I think that's the point, not quite sure out Superdata.com got a hold of this information, I find it hard to believe Blizzard would actually share this with them, they've got no incentive to do so, hence I would say the information they publish is more based on guessing and extrapolation than anything else.

How does it compare with the published financials that Blizzard puts out? (might be what they use for the extrapolation if the details aren't there)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

His guess is good as anyone else, unless they're willing to pay the $5,000 fee for the REAL data superdata claims to have. Then contacting the publishers they claim to be working with to verify the claims.

I just read the official financial report of ActivisionBlizzard for their 2013 annual revenues.

But given the shape of the responses in this topic to some "simply" quoting official industry data against third party estimates they strongly believe to be based on relevant industry data because they failed to read the definition of superdatas pool of sources, I am not certain anymore if I can call reading "just" a simple feat anymore.

No, really, tell us how you did it.  Since annual revenues give numbers for Activision Blizzard and not World of Warcraft, I'd be really interested in the method you used to calculate WoW's earnings.  There are certainly "subscriptions" that can be tabulated, but then they have a lot of subscription earnings on consoles, so "subscriptions" is apparently not limited to World of Warcraft style $15 a month subscriptions.  Are they even counting Asia's players in those "subscription" earnings?  What are the assumptions you are making since you do not have a complete picture?

We have a good idea of what Super Data did.  They were given a sample of customer information from Blizzard.  They have a good idea of the percentage of the population their sample represents, so they can calculate it from there with a margin of error.

So what did you do?

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301

Revenue != profit. 

What are their expenses?

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If this number is true and considering the other years of higher revenue,does the game look like a game worth supporting with those kind of numbers?

With that kind of money Blizzard could license the best engine on the planet ,be it the Unreal 4 or Cry Engien or whatever,they could license Physx and any otehr version,they could hire a team, to completely revamp the textures and port the game over to a better engine and still make more money than OTHER games.

Point is they COULD improve the game to 2014 standards but don't need to,they have a following that will keep giving them money no matter what.It also proves that although Blizzard could upgrade the game substantially,they don't care to give back to their supporters,they rather leech them than be FAIR.I said and still say the same things about CCP and Eve online,why support developers who obviously don't show the same love back to the players?

They are more than happy to take your money but give back,they look the other way.You would also THINK with that kind of revenue coming from the players,they might actually add content for FREE,well it actually wouldn't be free the players are making them millions!!.

They have already upgraded the graphics and are now releasing updates for character models and also release free content patches inbetween big expansions.

Game is 9 years old i suggest its time jump off the hate bandwagon. WOW is one of the few MMOS which is worth every cent in monthly subscription. The game is already is upto standard for a 2014 MMO that is why you see so many other MMOS still tryign to copy its features. ESO with its phasing system for example.

I don't know what else you want from Blizzard maybe a cure for cancer?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

If this number is true and considering the other years of higher revenue,does the game look like a game worth supporting with those kind of numbers?With that kind of money Blizzard could license the best engine on the planet ,be it the Unreal 4 or Cry Engien or whatever,they could license Physx and any otehr version,they could hire a team, to completely revamp the textures and port the game over to a better engine and still make more money than OTHER games.Point is they COULD improve the game to 2014 standards but don't need to,they have a following that will keep giving them money no matter what.It also proves that although Blizzard could upgrade the game substantially,they don't care to give back to their supporters,they rather leech them than be FAIR.I said and still say the same things about CCP and Eve online,why support developers who obviously don't show the same love back to the players?They are more than happy to take your money but give back,they look the other way.You would also THINK with that kind of revenue coming from the players,they might actually add content for FREE,well it actually wouldn't be free the players are making them millions!!.

I would imagine porting over WoW to a new engine would be way more work then that. Your would be looking at a process that would take several years worth of work. No matter how many people and how much money to throw at a project, there are points where more money and people hinders a project and doesnt help it.

You then have to look at the long term goal. Is it really worth the time, money, effort to put into something that is going to take several years before it becomes a reality. All the while its going to slow down the current output of content as your going to have to continuely port the new content from the old engine to the new engine (revamp, bug fix, ect. while your at it)

In the end World of Warcrafts massive amount of content is what will prevent it from ever seeing a massive graphics upgrade. They will keep pushing the current engine to its limits and thats really about it in that department. It's taken them almost a year just to update the character models. Could you imagine having to go through 8+ years of graphics and content updating it all. Yeah its not going to happen.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

and not 1 cent came from me. :P

jk, good on them for being able to still make that kind of money 10 years after launch. 

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I think that's the point, not quite sure out Superdata.com got a hold of this information, I find it hard to believe Blizzard would actually share this with them, they've got no incentive to do so, hence I would say the information they publish is more based on guessing and extrapolation than anything else.

How does it compare with the published financials that Blizzard puts out? (might be what they use for the extrapolation if the details aren't there)

Superdata is actually pretty clear about how they do what they do.  They get information on a subset of players from each of the developers and publishers they list on their "About" pages.  They would not be saying they got such information from developers and publishers unless they actually were doing so.  Blizzard has enough money to sue them into literal non-existence for saying they are receiving proprietary information when they weren't.

From the subset of players they do have information on, they are calculating what the numbers were be if those players represented the entire population of players.  I doubt they are trying to use Blizzard's public financial information, since it breaks things down by platform and region, but not by game, and the definitions used there are a bit fuzzy.  For instance, Activision Blizzard gets a lot of revenue from Wii subscriptions.  What does that even mean?  It's certainly not WoW subscriptions.  Their financials just aren't made to be reverse engineered like that.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by plat0nic

Revenue != profit. 

What are their expenses?

I haven't looked at their financial statements but you probably can't extract the information that is specific to WOW unless they made a specific disclosure which I doubt. But their overall profit margins look EXTREMELY good.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

I just read the official financial report of ActivisionBlizzard for their 2013 annual revenues.

But given the shape of the responses in this topic to some "simply" quoting official industry data against third party estimates they strongly believe to be based on relevant industry data because they failed to read the definition of superdatas pool of sources, I am not certain anymore if I can call reading "just" a simple feat anymore.

and you never explained how you extracted the numbers that you did....... and you completely dismiss things with no knowledge based on your conjecture. Maybe it is you with the agenda. Those numbers get posted across the internet by multiple gaming journalists. I would hope that they would do some due diligence before posting an article. They seem satisfied enough with the credibility of the company.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I don't get why people put so much time and effort into defending World of Warcraft or trying to "destroy" World of Warcraft.  

I'm guessing the people defending it are very, very lonely and want to feel like they are part of a "winning team", while the people wanting to destroy it lost a loot roll in a dungeon 5 years ago.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I don't know what else you want from Blizzard maybe a cure for cancer?

Still won't be enough for some!

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

If you really believe that it is just graphics that make a game then you seriously misunderstand games and gamers let alone the amount of development that would have to go in to a change such as that.

Also, what is with this sense of entitlement? How many other companies that you pay money to time and time again actually give you anything of any value in return for your continued custom? If you think that any customer loyalty scheme is giving you anything at all in return for your custom and isn't just a way to control where you decide to spend your money you are probably also of the mind that you can actually beat the casino's at their own game as well.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.