Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the best model for any mmo to take (imo)

dosengandosengan Member UncommonPosts: 49

ok as is often discussed on these forums there are a few well known models

- buy to play (buy the client and don't pay a sub) , 

guild wars 2 (also has a cosmetic shop wich seems to be doing well)

- pay 2 win 

i think i could list a million of these but it comes down to the more u spend the stronger u are.

(seems to be hated by nearly evrybody)

- sub based (often also buy to play)

for example world of warcraft , people prefer this model often becouse of the time spend ingame vs rewards structure

but there is 1 model alot of companies seem to overlook , a model that is very successfull and has proven itself quite a few times

the "pay to dress" (cosmetic) shops

a few successfull games (and platforms)

- league of legends

- dota 

- path of exile

- (and manny other games i can't think of right now)

all of these games are doing well for themselves , are free to play AND offer no advantages over free players making them very popular for competative players and accessible to all .

the cosmetic system is in my opinion the best system to have .  it speaks to peoples vanity and even online we all want to look the best we can. some people don't care about their looks and don't spend anything while others spend insane amounts balancing eachother out.

(i excuse myself for the typo's i probably made :p)

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Thing is even if an MMO starts "pay to dress" temptation will always be there to add more things because companies always want to maximize their profit. DotA and LoL have tens of millions of players and the player base in those hyper-competitive games would go nuts if they tried to sell anything non-cosmetic in the cash shop. MMO players have shown themselves much more accepting of that sort of thing.

Path of Exile allows players to customize very rare weapons to put in the game for a couple of hundred bucks a piece. That's where they make a lot of their money. I don't know if an MMO could get away with something similar (I doubt it).

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Tera clearly has the best model where the cash shop functions as an RMT, you regularly hear shouts buying of selling the cash shop currency vs. in game currency.

Look at FFXIV, it's p2p yet flooded with RMT bots/hackers, they wouldn't be there if people weren't buying currency.  If people are going to buy currency anyway you might as well capture those funds and use them for future game development rather than just lining the pockets of Chinese hackers.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,458
    Originally posted by reeereee

Tera clearly has the best model where the cash shop functions as an RMT, you regularly hear shouts buying of selling the cash shop currency vs. in game currency.

TERA had a great F2P model but last time i checked you could enchant / improve your gear with real money so.... no, TERA now has an awful model. If EnMasse and BlueHole fixed that already then good. If its still there then shame on them.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,298

It really depends on the game.

For straight F2P I prefer how Rift, Tera, and Neverwinter are set up.

But B2P GW2 style is my favorite model. You get the entire game open. The world is huge and the cash shop is fairly minimal.

Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• dosengandosengan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    i agree with the custom weapon part , tho i must add that the item will become available to evrybody at the same time . also the "custom" weapons will be balanced by the dev team so its not like they can make themselves an all powerfull item :)! (unless it nerfs them into the ground on other areas :D)