Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext F2P, too pricey?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

They charge as much as a small console for their EQ Landmark game, which is still a game in a beta stage, how do they think they are going to get a large player base for EQNext with those kind of prices?

I've never seen a game that is so expensive, even most collector's versions of games aren't that expensive.

How can you ask $100 for a game in beta??

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    That's for Everquest Next: Landmark. There's no price been mentioned for Everquest Next.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Darwa
    That's for Everquest Next: Landmark. There's no price been mentioned for Everquest Next.

I doubt EQNext will be any cheaper, since that is supposed to be their main game. They're obviously hurting for cash.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    So you're taking the price of one game and attributing it to the price of another unrelated game even though at one point both games are going to be released as free. I'm not sure I get the point.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    EQNext and EQNext:Landmark are both F2P at release.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I don't see how this is a bad thing as long as It's beta.

People are obviously willing to pay, so it allows them to make some money before the game releases as a free to play.

They could just not have the game available for play at all if they decided to.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

$100 is a weird definition of F2P.

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

Originally posted by CalmOceans

It definitely would be if it actually did cost $100. Since it will not cost $100 and will actually be free, the F2P definition fits well.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Founders packs are for people who want to support the games business model and play a little bit earlier.

By supporting the model, your money is supposed to go to future development and the like.. that's generally how founders packs should work.

I doubt i'll be buying in but I can see why people are keen.

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Nothing is ever 'free'.

You will pay, or have a lesser experience. Your choice.

Originally posted by Raven322

Nothing is ever 'free'.

So then a lesser experience is free.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

The game hasn't been released yet. That money is pretty much to get into Alpha. If you want to say it's too much money for Alpha then I think that's great. Saying it's too expensive to play for F2P and the game hasn't even released yet isn't being honest.

The game will have a large chunk of funding from people that are too impatient to wait and see how it turns out when it actually releases. I am okay with that. Also, I don't consider this crossing a line at all and I am heavily biased against Free to Play MMOs in general.

Originally posted by Robokapp

Nothing is ever 'free'.

So then a lesser experience is free.

yup. guess i'll form my impression of the game based on the lesser impression.

That's pretty much the entire point of the model. You get an impression of the game based on what you have seen for free. You then make a decision about whether to stay for free, leave or drop a few dollars here and there to get a better experience and support the game you like.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I spent $20 on Landmark because I wanted to support the company. Doubt I will ever spend another cent on it though. Just like I spent $20 on PoE even though it was free. I played LoL and Hearthstone without every spending money. F2P is as free as you want it to be. I got plenty of enjoyment out of every free game I've played and if I decided I really liked the game I will usually drop $20 just to support them.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

If you haven't seen pre-order prices similar or worse, you might be new ...

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    And so you will get what you asked for. Just try not to complain too loudly when you don't like it.
    And so you will get what you asked for. Just try not to complain too loudly when you don't like it.

I'll just not play if I don't like it. And I didn't ask for anything.

• Frost_WraithFrost_Wraith Member Posts: 13
    I think you fail to realize that this is if you want access in alpha and beta. Please do some research before you state that one has to pay as much as a small console. 
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

what people paying now is just like kickstarter fund in many other game. i would careless about what people paying for what they want.

what we truly need to see is how much freedom we get in their F2P. if it like SWTOR, then its a good bye. but if we have full access to game while they only selling cosmetic or very minor support in game, then i dont mind either.

we have a choice to buy it or not and we still have access to the game . that what F2P is. however, i dont trust any big name company either. just wait and see.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

F2P = Demo

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Wanna play before release you gotta pay.  Else you wait for release and not have to pay.  Having Founders pack is par for the course for F2P games and is an industry standard.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Don't see how it's any different then buying a CE or a standard version of any other game. The P2P enthusiasts just try to find anything to support that paying for a game then 15 a month is worth it by taking jabs at other games that are just doing tactics to get people to quit bugging to alpha/beta test while making extra money like any MMO company would do unless they are hiding their game like Zenimax is with ESO. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Nothing is ever 'free'.

QFT

Also, the difference between the packs and F2P is time.  The packs are worth it to those that want what they offer, just look at the list of items and perks.

Not worth it? No worries, it will be free after a time and the items would not be magnetized a different way so whatever SoE does decide to monetize will apply to both those that bought the packs and those that didn't.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    The game is free to play. They only charge if you want to be in Alpha or Beta.
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

well, thing is, in sub $15 a month, if you dont sub, you dont play.

but in F2P if u dont pay, at least you can still play, 

another thing is , you dont push to play. with sub, if you dont play that month, you lost $15. but in F2P if you dont play , you dont lost, you only spend money on thing you want to buy. and you have option to stop at anytime you want.

• TOPProtoTOPProto Member Posts: 7

having brought a founders pack, the reasons i brought are these

1. to support SOE - i loved Planetside 2 and believe in the EQ L product

2. to get the 4 closed beta keys

3. to be involved in the early stages of the game development - the devs and the alpha community are very openly comicating about whats good/bad and ugly at this stage of the alpha

a bunch more reasons too but those are the main ones.