Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like card games but hate deck building :(

ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I got excited when I first started playing. I thought if I played a basic deck, I was only paired with other people playing basic decks. After 2 matches, I ran into a custom deck and was smashed.

I really like card battle games, but I don't like finding combinations of cards. I know a lot of you enjoy that aspect, I don't. I just like playing the cards. I know I can copy other people's decks. It feels cheap though.

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Yep it's starting to happen to me too it's very annoying.

A moment you are dueling vs people of equal level of cards then out of a sudden every person you duel has rares, legendaries or whatever the purple cards are called.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I could probably get into deck building over time. Still I wish I could play basic vs. basic until I get bored and become more familiar with all of the cards.

Since you get matched against custom decks, you pretty much have to jump right into deck building if you want to be competitive.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Elapsed

I could probably get into deck building over time. Still I wish I could play basic vs. basic until I get bored and become more familiar with all of the cards.

Since you get matched against custom decks, you pretty much have to jump right into deck building if you want to be competitive.

You're matched up against decks you can't win against. This is to frustrate so you by packs to make your deck better.

The alternative is to grind for months until you either get the cards you need or enough dust to make them. The people that got into beta early and those that spend money have a huge advantage.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is a good and bad.

Yes there are people been playing since day 1 and have really good cards.The good is that there are a lot of players,so eventually you will match up against someone else not spending money...like me :P

I feel this is a must in design,Blizzard needs to keep it free enough or que ue times become long then players will get tired and bored.

Right now deck building is actually simple because every deck basically is a one trick pony.Your first option is to unlock all the freebie cards.Then you get free gold ,albeit VERY little when you win a certain amount of games ,like every 3 wins can get 10 gold.to get one pack that would mean 30 wins,ya a lot,not like Blizzard is going to give you a totally free ride.

I have played quite a few games,lost a lot but imo i usually lose to superior decks.Anyhow my point is to make it simple for the OP,i have found that the Mage ,Warrior and maybe Rogue are the easiest and most consistent to play.

My personal gut feeling is that the Mage freebie deck is the best of all the freebie decks.

Basic start...Load your deck with spell modifier cards,they can turn a 1 damage card into a 2/3/4+ damage card.You do want to add some charge cards to ping some quick damage and or to remove troublesome creatures.I have been down 30-1/2 with this deck and come back to win,because the later it goes ,you can really unleash some spell modifiers that can wipe your opponents board clean.

I guess my offering to strat is to be "patient",you can wipe 2/3/4/5 of his minions in one swipe,so don't toss your creatures out if they can be easily removed before they become effective.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChillyLionChillyLion Member Posts: 1

I know what you mean about copying other peoples Decks, but that's how I learned to build.  Their are some interesting Ideas.  One was a Warlock who increased the cost of cards while using a minion that lowered his, causing the opposition not being able to play high cost cards like Deathwing or Mountain Giant.  But I admit I do enjoy building decks, especially when they turn out to be good.  It's pretty easy, have an idea for how you want to win and pick you deck off that with what you got.  So I built a Mage deck and this is what came out;

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/mage#4:2;30:2;44:1;56:2;131:1;176:1;213:1;221:1;274:1;346:1;388:2;434:1;479:2;489:2;522:2;545:2;589:2;595:2;659:2;

It does cost 460 dust to fully copy it.  But filling in for the ones you don't have, I would consider cards to make up for the ones you can't get.  Here is what I would replace the ones that cost  Dust to make:

Sunwalker -> Lord of the Arena

Auctioneer-> Darkscale Healer or a 5 mana Taunter

Mogu'shan Warden and Ancient Mage-> any combo of Gnome inventor or Sen'jin Shield Masta

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice-> Acidic Ooze

Faerie Dragon-> Novice Engineer.

I built the deck based on building Spellpower and using spells to clear the battlefield when I need to.  So far I've managed to go 5 wins and 0 loses to date.  Like I said at the start:

"It's pretty easy, have an idea for how you want to win and pick your deck off that with what you got."