Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Elder Scrolls Online: An Alternate Opinion

Comments

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

Sorry ,but it seems like you never played the Beta. It does seem like however, you were relayed information, of a haters experience of the Beta, who exaggerated negativity and made things up. 

If the quest system sucks in ESO, then it also sucks in every single Elder Scrolls game, most RPGs, and most all MMOs including the upcoming Wildstar.

If only there were other game genres and other MMOs, that carried a non traditional formula when it comes to questing, that catered to people of different tastes.... wait a sec.

Just because you don't like the formula doesn't make a game bad, it just means it's not for you.

That's like saying, someone if wrong for having the favorite color green, why green fails, that you love the color yellow and why yellow is better. No the color green is not bad for people who like the color green, yellow is not better, it's just your favorite.

"What tastes like purple?"

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by akathos
    I am under NDA, but this title is going to hold my attention for a long time, for an MMO... it's hooked me...hint: push past level 10. Then you'll know.

So much this.  I love open worlds and it doesn't get any better than this.  I find awesome stuff and loads of side-quests in the most unlikely places and it's always a thrill.

I don't understand the negativity surround this game at all.  But then, I gave this game a sincere chance and didn't quit before I got started.

I have also more than done my part with bug reports and feedback, which makes me feel good about all the time I've spent in-game over the last couple of betas.

First time in a long time that I'm like, "Holy crap I leveled again?" .. Immersion is strong.

• Merlin73Merlin73 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Stellus
    I was really put off by not being able to quest with my friends. If the person is not on the same part of the quest you're on, the game forcibly excludes them from the area you enter altogether. They can't just tag along, they can't help, and they aren't even visible. Just a floating arrow. So disappointing. That is NOT an MMO.

According to a dev comment (can't remember where I read it) this is due to phasing and they are implementing a way around this. Due to the NDA on BETA I can't confirm or deny if that was already implemented in game. But the way it may work is like channel switching in Aion where you join your groups quest phase.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by TdogSkal
    Originally posted by orbitxo

well written.

-you explained the starter zone perfectly!

-Free 2 play sayers need to calm down - it would not work for this game.

- the game feels alot like 'elder scrolls' on the solo instances. but a bit odd seein  tons of players gathered around one quest giver.

- we will see where this goes...

This game will be Free 2 play within 6 months of Release.  That is all but written in stone.

The game will not last as a p2p, it does not have enough features that keep p2p.

No, seriously F2P will NOT work for this game, everything is already built in for in game gold... there's nothing to sell left but retcons and some clothing.  BTW, I hear PVE beta area already has close to 90 hours of gameplay per faction and that's just to what, lvl 15, 20?  So they aren't going to run out of content too quickly.

• GrimmRoethGrimmRoeth Member Posts: 5
    How hard would it be for them to add in the standard MMO UI controls for those of us that find WASD difficult due to a handicap?
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I got my guy up to level 11 and the combat starts to feel pretty good, at-least with my bow templar.  You start to fight multiple enemies and have to juggle them with various abilities (knockbacks, CCs, etc) while balancing your resource pools(stamina/magic) and also watching their animations so you can dodge and block at the proper times.  I see a big difference in the ability of players to handle mobs by how they load out their skills and utilize them... it's not quite as brain dead as most MMOs and you can get yourself in trouble pretty quick if you screw up.  I can only imagine the second weapon at 15 makes it that much more entertaining.

I'd still like for the combat to be given a little more feel of impact, but structurally it gets pretty good.  Just like most MMOs, it matures and grows into itself as you level up.

I'll definitely be playing the shit out of it at least until I consume all the storyline content and questing.  After that, I have no idea if the PvP and group PvE will keep me interested... but I have no doubt its worth the $60 +$15 as long as the questing content lasts(which is more than I can say for most games).

And F2P would be a damn catastrophe and pretty much shit on the future of the game.

I quite liked the writeup. While I disagree with some of it and hold a more positive impression of the game overall I thought this was one of the more balanced and reasonable reviews. Most of what I'm hearing elsewhere is "wahah it's not Skyrim!". Here at least there was some MMO focussed commentary and discussion of things like the rather poor animation quality.

Without breaking the NDA and saying anything concrete about it the game - I personally quite liked the Beta experience comparatively to other MMO Beta's I've participated in but I get why it's not everyone's cup of tea.  

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh
    I was more than willing to give TESO a fair shot, but the fact they've gated areas off due to levels? Early in the game or not? No, I am -so- sick of linear, railroaded MMOs. Dump me in a world and let me go. Why is it that games 10+ years old can do this but these new MMOs have to gate everything off and lead you around by your nose?

Because these days, the console kiddiez would rather have their disks/drives loaded with graphics and glitz rather than gameplay.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Damedius

If you want to be negative about ESO. You shouldn't be grasping for straws.

You should just point out what is probably going to be the biggest flaw at launch.

Since it's a Bethseda game, it's probably going to be a bit of a bug filled mess at launch.

But it's not really a Bethesda game, it's a Zenimax online game, but you're not wrong about the bugs.

• ninjagrannyninjagranny Member Posts: 25
    One poster above did mention something important  in that the weapons armour and clothing were relatively "realistic" - there are no garish clothing or wow sized weapons or flouro Armours .. yet . With any MMO pounds count and eventually  they will bow to the kiddies and allow stupid clothing weapons and armour ( they even have in IP restricted games like LOTRO) but currently  noone looks stupid , which is great.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Why hello more:

"I love elder scroll games so I LOVE elder scrolls online!!!"

eyes clenched shut, fingers in ears, while they say "LALALALALA I'm not listening!!!"

types of impressions/reviews..

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I Don't think i have ever seen a SOLID mmo like this recieve such critism and nit picking. These reviews are really starting to get old .... 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    It is most frustration to have beta testers muzzled. All testers can do is listen to others.
  • LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Not a bad game from what I have seen. It might be worth the box price or the sub with a free download but definitely not worth both IMO.
  • LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by tmr819

Any game with a decent character creator is a plus but, from what I've read, the opening/tutorial story line is the painfully generic and over-used: "you were dead but now -- ta-da!!! -- you're alive again, and you have to go save the world!"

First impressions count for a lot with me, and leading off with such a tired and familiar "epic tale" trope is a major negative for me.

actually the opening actually makes sense for once.  You do not just login to a game standing in the woods naked like nothing happen.  It all makes sense

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by tmr819

Any game with a decent character creator is a plus but, from what I've read, the opening/tutorial story line is the painfully generic and over-used: "you were dead but now -- ta-da!!! -- you're alive again, and you have to go save the world!"

First impressions count for a lot with me, and leading off with such a tired and familiar "epic tale" trope is a major negative for me.

I can see you obviously have mistaken this game for another, failed to listen/read if you did play, have a visual/auditory or combination perceptual problem, word finding difficulty, (etc...) , believed the wrong person, or you have a negative intention here. 

Good day sir.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34

No holy trinity no thank you to EQN. I tried that with GW2 and it was a mess.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by erikkennedy

Either you didn't really play this game, or its already changed significantly since you have. Almost everything you said about the starter zone is incorrect, and I just finished it myself yesterday. I didn't feel like I was running erands, I felt like I had to find and help all of the villagers before the Covenant attacked and killed everyone. There were lots of other real people running around, and I even got friend requests. I was able to immediately start crafting. The chat box was so busy I had to work hard to ignore it.

There are still some bugs. I'm sure some of the things you were looking for will be implemented. It just seems like in an effort for you guys to find a differing opinion, what you did instead was something ignorant.

I agree with this.. This article needs to be deleted and the writer demoted to toilet scrubber for such obvious rubbish.

Originally posted by perran7691

There is a thread on reddit by a long time beta tester.  He confirms the game definitely uses the trinity for group content.  It's not a hard-line trinity where the tank tanks *everything* and the healer is dedicated purely to healing.  It's more along the lines of the tank tanks the biggest nasty in the room, and the healer uses their magika pool to toss out heals while doing damage with their weapon.  But you definitely need a tank, and you definitely need a healer.

Originally posted by thunderC
    I Don't think i have ever seen a SOLID mmo like this recieve such critism and nit picking. These reviews are really starting to get old .... 

The Secret World?

Originally posted by thunderC

It is getting kind of silly.  The only thing about the game that's actually a little suspect is the floaty feel of combat... everything else is really well done.  People are holding it to a standard you don't see in other MMOs.

Originally posted by perran7691

I don't mind not having the holy trinity as such but there need to be clearly defined group roles IMO. GW2 lacked this. Everyone was basically a DPS spammer with some survival clickies. There's no group coordination in that just zerg. 

I'll wait and see what EQNext offers before judging. As for TESO I believe it has the trinity still from all the press reports.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204

Foreword:  I know I'm probably stepping over the NDA line here, but I really want this game to succeed.  First time that's ever happened for me.  So it makes me incredibly frustrated to see all this press hate when it seems like they either spent less than ten minutes playing, or were playing an entirely different game than I was.  I cannot, for the life of me, understand the hate.  It's like everyone wants it to fail.  So here's me, doing what I can to fight the fire.  Sorry Zeni, but NDA be damned, I don't want to see your creation fail <3.

=============================

First off:  If they were immersing players in the entire world all at once, there'd be endless complaints about people getting overwhelmed by a deluge of features rather than a progressive introduction.

Second:  It's not a coincidence that every person who has written a negative review seems to have selected the Aldmeri Dominion to start in.  Zenimax seems to have put the Dominion starting island in as an afterthought, focusing most of its attention on Morrowind (understandably so... but it's rather sad considering how wonderful the Covenant's starting area/NPCs are, with Ebonheart not far behind.)  Wish I could expand on this... but until the NDA goes down...  My suspicions here are reaffirmed by the amount of positive feedback found in game in those two areas, vs the feedback on the Dominion side.  Really wish reviewers would actually try out multiple characters and play for more than a few hours before passing judgment on this game.

As for the socialization... Scot sums it up quite well.  ESO, as advertised, provides all the social tools anyone could want in an MMO.  Its graphics, while not photorealistic (duh it's an mmo,) are on par with Skyrim's (which means it has the best graphics of any mmo to date.)  It's scenescapes are incredible.  It's not as revolutionary as it might've been, but it's certainly the best thing I've seen hit the market in years.  People need to stop judging it for what it -might- have been, or what they wanted it to be (generally ludicrous expectations,) and judge it for what it actually is, and compare it to every other mmo on the market right now (which it seems to smash on every front.)

Lastly, as others pointed out, these reviews seem to have been written up ages ago, sitting in some dusty storeroom to await the lifting of the press NDA.  The chat was absolutely hopping (even in the Dominion zones.)  I had countless guild invites and group invites.  Quests were far less linear than other mmos, and many even had choices that made -significant- impact on future quest lines that I've never seen done so well in any other MMO.  There are less choices than in SWTOR, but the choices definitely have a more lasting impact.  Choosing to save a couple characters on the starter island ended up with them showing up repeatedly over the next ten levels (with no indication of it stopping,) in order to help me out with future quests.  From reports by friends, I know you could choose to not save them and they'd never impact you later.

@Immodium -- It's a Zenimax game.  And it has less bugs and better animations than any TES product prior.  It's actually fun to play without mods  (whereas I absolutely cannot stomach other TES games pre-mods.  They are, however, my favorite games once I've added 150 or so mods.)

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

the PvP & RvR is where is game is going to shine.

anyone criticizing this game so far, is probably not a PvP player.  If your looking for a solo questing game, this probably isnt it.  You want to to be in some hard core battles, sieges and raids, then you will love it.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by MikeB

I was a lot more worried about this on Friday. I even wrote a blog about it. But I've been going through a lot of the feedback here and on other sites and there is a very clear trend of opinion shift for a lot of people who made it through the starter area and saw the rest of the game over the weekend. That's not to say everyone will be this way, ESO isn't for everyone, but thankfully it looks like a ton of people gave the game a real chance.

The in-game chat I read over the weekend was very positive.  I think those that actually took advantage of the Beta weekend finally had a chance to see for themselves if they'd like it or not.  Having a free trail before launch certainly gave me a lot more information to go on.  Nothing beats tromping around and going for a test-drive.

I was watching some YouTube serie about the beta weekend earlier today, kinda skimmed through it, but I begun to pay attention to the chatbox in the game and there were quite a bit of cheers or just discussion about the game, I cant recall seeing any doom and gloom or tears on the chat.

Also I got a way better look at the game compared to the press "first 2 hours vids", and based on that I must say it definitely does not seem like a bad game, it's absolutely not a Skyrim clone if someone was honestly expecting that, but all things considered it got me a bit excited about the game for the first time properly (might have to do something with low expectations).

If they'd manage to polish off some of the comedy animations, and a bunch of other things people keep repeating about, for the launch, I dont think it would be bad at all. I dont see the game as a proper mmorpg for long time play, but the game might even be a 3 monther for me, instead the usual 2 weeks to 1 month. Need housing and proper sandbox features to get past 3rd month tbh :P