Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me with my internet speed? Should I get a better wireless PCI adapter card?

SarphonSarphon Member Posts: 13

Connecting to my modem via wire is not possible at the current time

The PCI card that I have installed right now is http://www.ebuyer.com/343318-tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-pci-express-adapter-tl-wn881nd

Should I upgrade to a £30 one that has faster speeds (450mbs)

I constantly have 2 bars and it's just starting to disconnect a lot. I'm only a couple of rooms from the modem.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

You should stay away from PCI Wireless cards. There is all sorts of EMI interference inside your case, and to adjust the antenna position your adjusting your entire computer. Unless you have a laptop/tablet where the antenna is built as part of the case design, using an internal WiFi device in a desktop is a poor idea.

Go with an external device - preferrably a WiFi Bridge. A bridge requires no drivers, uses your existing Ethernet card in a computer, is chainable via a simple hub/switch to allow multiple computers to use the WiFi connection with a single bridge, can connect devices that only have ethernet to WiFi and don't have WiFi internally (old Xbox 360s, SmartTVs, etc) and is external to your computer so you can position it for the best signal without having to haul around your entire desktop.

Barring a bridge, USB adapter that you can move separate from your computer is the second best option - you can put it on a USB extension and move it around until you get the best signal.

All that being said -- try just changing your WiFi parameters on the router - just changing the channel your operating on will likely clear up your problem

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

And so you see the problem with wireless connections:  they're intrinsically unreliable and prone to all sorts of interference.  "Two rooms away" might be the entire source of your problems.

300 mbps is blazing fast as Internet connections go.  The problem is the "up to".  Will "up to 450 mbps" be any better than "up to 300 mbps" when we know up front that neither will deliver anywhere near its claimed speed?  Maybe it will be better.  Maybe it will be worse.

If you can't run an ethernet cable but want a decent network connection, then you may want to look into powerline.  I don't know if it will work for you, but if it does, it will be a lot better than wireless.