Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New proof that people love challenging games..

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is currently a game on ipad and android named flappy bird and its frustratingly hard..  And everyone is playing it.

so now bring back the challenge to the mmos both in single player as in groups parts...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just try it on your phone or tablet, its totally free, its low quallity graphics.. And its frustratingly hard...  Then you know what i am talking about....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Indeed. However, I don't see it'll last for long. 

Dark Souls is also challenging, but still people aren't too fond of it. A lof of complaining too.

• 9Prejudice9Prejudice Member Posts: 30

I'm not sure a mobile time-waster game can be directly correlated to full-fledged MMOs. People (most) play Flappy Bird during their free time like while waiting for the bus or something. For MMOs, people take out a portion of their time specially to play the game. 

What I mean is, most people don't take mobile time-wasters like Flappy Bird too seriously and they are there mostly for the social (score comparison with friends) aspect of it. In fact, Flappy Bird doesn't give you a score you have to reach in order to get some gear that will give you a permanent bonus to your character. Each Flappy Bird game lasts seconds, if not minutes, depending on how good you are.

On the other hand, if people play an MMO, they expect to be rewarded for their effort.  I would believe that it's a minority group who want to do two-hour dungeons and encounters that are as difficult as Flappy Bird. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Don't confuse your tastes with everyone's tastes.   There's a market for various different styles of game, hairshirt tough to superglide easy.  

The secret to getting more of the type you want is convincing the folks who produce them that they'll do well if they make the style you like. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Hairshirt tough to superglide easy.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Idk, if it's anything like angry birds or that other endless runner birdgame (also cute graphics), then the trial and error gameplay grates too much for my liking.

A few quality alternatives would be:

Eliss Infinity

Threes!

Have a look if you have a smart device. They're decent mobile time-wasters. Maybe flappy bird is too, but just saying not my kind of frustrating. I find Fifa frustrating at first due to the touch controls but after too many hours I can crack the controls and actually do some complex gameplay and you get that challenge vs skill dynamic.

That's probably what's missing: Skill with challenge? If challenge is too low your skill is not being engaged. If skill is too low even if the challenge is high then it's just frustrating.

Guild Wars, Age of Wushu, maybe these are some good egs of skill in mmorpg games? Idk. Anyway maybe the above suggestions will be of interest. Good discussion.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I don't think anyone has ever challenged that people wouldn't like challenging games. Instead, what actually constitutes as challenge is debatable. For example, some posters think the amount of grind and tedium promotes challenge whereas others think death penalty plays an important role (for the record, I disagree with both).

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

nah, i don't think that flappy bird game is an evidence why people love challenging games.

i mean, i think that sh*t was just hype as fkc by god knows who and, well, people just rode the hype train.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I don't think anyone has ever challenged that people wouldn't like challenging games. Instead, what actually constitutes as challenge is debatable. For example, some posters think the amount of grind and tedium promotes challenge whereas others think death penalty plays an important role (for the record, I disagree with both).

Exactly my thoughts. never understood why people would think grinding for 6 hour is a challenge, Maybe a challenge on  your patients, or the one the developers always think, more damage + more hp = challenge. I would say a challenge is something that make you sit there and think, go through all the options at you disposal to overcome an obstacle. Remember the old games where you had to hit a boss only 3-4 times, but you had to do a series of things before you could hit them?

Gonna leave this video here. i keep posting it, but it explains the topic so well.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    There is currently a game on ipad and android named flappy bird and its frustratingly hard..  And everyone is playing it. so now bring back the challenge to the mmos both in single player as in groups parts...
    The problem with what you are saying is that a vast proportion of mmo players already think today's mmo's ARE challenging...

Games have gotten easier because gaming has become mass market and the "masses" aren't very skilled or intelligent from what I've seen in mmos that have dungeon finder tools.

You will have to live with the fact that you're an exceptional player and what challenges you would just infuriate the masses.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I do like a challenge and that is why I often take on Heroic 4's on my own in SWTOR to challenge myself to make it exciting but I do not like chaos mechanics. I dislike games that rely on twitch targeting or FPS because being a bit older my reflexes suck and although I enjoy strategy and planning I do not like having to rely on my reflexes because that will doom me.

I also enjoy games where people work together but they have roles they need not be traditional roles but can like in City of Villains use other types of roles like buffer,debuff,crowd control and damage with hardly any healing but the classes still have roles. Games that let each player play how they like and just make sure they look after themselves lack the cohesion necessary to make the content they are doing interesting, this I preface well okay afterword with the caveat as IMHO so please don't come down on me like a tonne of bricks.

Chamber of Chains
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Always love when people call mobile games time wasters. As if to imply no games are a waste of time. ??

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well I have always enjoyed a good challenge in a game.. I hate games being so easy i can play them when sleeping.. but still I want to have fun when I am playing a game so it does not need to hard.

The thing is we all find different things fun.

For me in mmorpgs its open world full loot games... I like the challenge that comes with those and i enjoy playing them.

Others enjoy and find a challenge in wow boss raids or whatever..

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Jafotron
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Exactly my thoughts. never understood why people would think grinding for 6 hour is a challenge, Maybe a challenge on  your patients, or the one the developers always think, more damage + more hp = challenge. I would say a challenge is something that make you sit there and think, go through all the options at you disposal to overcome an obstacle. Remember the old games where you had to hit a boss only 3-4 times, but you had to do a series of things before you could hit them?

Gonna leave this video here. i keep posting it, but it explains the topic so well.

Sure there was grind, but that doesn't mean the combat wasn't challenging.  The mobs were a lot harder.  Trying to take on an even con in Everquest usually meant death unless you were one of the classes with abilities that allowed creative thinking.  EQ required patience, but it also required a lot of strategy.  If you couldn't come up with an effective strategy you wold level backwards instead of forwards.  I maintain that having no death penalty means you can just continually go in and attack something over and over until you get lucky.  You couldn't do that in a game like EQ.  Your strategy had to be a good one.  As someone mentioned Dark Souls is a pretty hard game and I enjoyed that a lot.