Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No "Traditional" Open Beta for ESO

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by MyBoot
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

When I was young I was dumb enough to believe the line about trickle down economics. That by supporting the institutions, the initiatives of the wealthy, that the rest of us further down the economic chain would benefit from their increased spending and ambitions. We garnered the inevitable results. It became like feeding a horse. We fed it through the mouth and by the time it trickled down to the rest of us all worthy substance was gone and we were left with a big stinking pile of poop good for nothing but fertilizing their new ambitions to cash in on what little the rest were left with.

Regrettably, it seems to prove true even in our gaming but at least we are left with kickstarters to counter the flow, steal a little fertilizer for ourselves, with a garss roots movement to create things worthy for the rest of us once more.

I think somebody needs a hug ?

Or maybe a Ring of Mara? Lol

There Is Always Hope!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/737

"We will not be holding a traditional open beta, but if you sign up to participate in the ESO beta prior to launch and are eligible per our Terms of Service, you will get an invite to a future beta event. We will be holding several very large beta sessions that include beta key giveaway promotions before the game launches."

Does that mean that Zenimax can keep the NDA intact till launch day? Anyone recall the last time, in recent history, an AAA MMORPG that did this (i.e. skip the open beta step entirely)? Does this seem odd to anyone as well?

It's not normal..

But, from what I've experienced, they have nothing to hide.  Which is even more odd, to be honest.  I'm not worried though.  I like what I see.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    How is this any different than any other open beta?  They said you will get in if you sign up.  Dont you have to sign up or register for open betas always?  You have to do that to log in to the game.  Unless there are open betas where you dont have to register or sign up.  If that is the case then they just want to Lead Capture which is the most basic sales technique.  Every company does it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by flguy147
    How is this any different than any other open beta?  They said you will get in if you sign up.  Dont you have to sign up or register for open betas always?  You have to do that to log in to the game.  Unless there are open betas where you dont have to register or sign up.  If that is the case then they just want to Lead Capture which is the most basic sales technique.  Every company does it.

This IS and open beta this weekend in everything but name... the unusual part is keeping the NDA during an open beta... there will be 100's of leaks... guaranteed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its different from any other beta, in that it will be under NDA..

On the other hand, they promise everyone access to the beta that signs up, and thats more then a lot of betas..

Why keep NDA up till release? as thats what it probably says, maybe its to protect their main asset, the stories from spoiler websites..  which would be a good enough reason for me.

Anyway... they need to be more open in communication as to why they take these decisions, because their current way oif things certainly hurts the game and the company.  They are new to AAA+ MMO´s and they need to see that it requires totally different communication with their customers then a single player game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by MyBoot
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

When I was young I was dumb enough to believe the line about trickle down economics. That by supporting the institutions, the initiatives of the wealthy, that the rest of us further down the economic chain would benefit from their increased spending and ambitions. We garnered the inevitable results. It became like feeding a horse. We fed it through the mouth and by the time it trickled down to the rest of us all worthy substance was gone and we were left with a big stinking pile of poop good for nothing but fertilizing their new ambitions to cash in on what little the rest were left with.

Regrettably, it seems to prove true even in our gaming but at least we are left with kickstarters to counter the flow, steal a little fertilizer for ourselves, with a garss roots movement to create things worthy for the rest of us once more.

I think somebody needs a hug ?

Or maybe a Ring of Mara? Lol

I will settle for champagne.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by skyline385
    And P.S. OP, they are removing the press NDA this weekend and even the regular people playing will not have any watermarks so tons of them will be sharing stuff whether they remove it for the regular people or not.

And I bet you anything there won't be a negative review from any of these press events because they single handedly choose who to bring.

Not having an Open Beta puts a big onus on the game from a veteran MMO player's perspective.  If this didn't do it then I don't know else will show this game is little more then a cash grab.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    And P.S. OP, they are removing the press NDA this weekend and even the regular people playing will not have any watermarks so tons of them will be sharing stuff whether they remove it for the regular people or not.

And I bet you anything there won't be a negative review from any of these press events because they single handedly choose who to bring.

Not having an Open Beta puts a big onus on the game from a veteran MMO player's perspective.  If this didn't do it then I don't know else will show this game is little more then a cash grab.

I like how you ignored the post where i write about their confirmation that they will remove the NDA before launch. They are also holding a Beta where anyone can participate and judge the game for themselves. But keep thinking what you want, facts are too mainstream apparently.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by azzamasin

So because the press reviews might be skewed, it's a cash grab? How about you try the game yourself. Keys are freely available. There will be so many people playing in the upcoming, and future events, that they're practically open beta in all but name. If you don't like what the press reviews write, I'm 100% sure you'll be able to find information from other players, who don't comply with keeping quiet. Or, again, you could just grab a key yourself and try it.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    Called it a cash grab long time ago, doesn't really need more proof. Fanbois of course only see this as a good sign.
  • KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its different from any other beta, in that it will be under NDA..

On the other hand, they promise everyone access to the beta that signs up, and thats more then a lot of betas..

Why keep NDA up till release? as thats what it probably says, maybe its to protect their main asset, the stories from spoiler websites..  which would be a good enough reason for me.

Random thought:

It's an attempt to keep the closed-beta atmosphere during the final testing process, while drawing in something closer to open-beta numbers.  

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's probably all part of some devious Marketing Strategy.

Telling people they can't talk about it is the best way to get them talking about it ! image

But mainly, I'd guess it allows ZOS to control the flow and direction of game-related info and hype "in the public sphere". Game review sites will love them for it.

Their NDA signup process also builds them a nice database of real email addresses they can do many things with.

If Curse really were given 500K beta keys for this weekend, then it's a "closed beta" in name only. Those keys are freely accessible now to anyone that wants one. Add that 500K keys to the 100K or 200K already issued previously and it's obvious that ZOS are not trying to "hide" anything about the game, they're probably just trying to amplify the hype around it.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's probably all part of some devious Marketing Strategy.

Telling people they can't talk about it is the best way to get them talking about it ! image

But mainly, I'd guess it allows ZOS to control the flow and direction of game-related info and hype "in the public sphere". Game review sites will love them for it.

Their NDA signup process also builds them a nice database of real email addresses they can do many things with.

If Curse really were given 500K beta keys for this weekend, then it's a "closed beta" in name only. Those keys are freely accessible now to anyone that wants one. Add that 500K keys to the 100K or 200K already issued previously and it's obvious that ZOS are not trying to "hide" anything about the game, they're probably just trying to amplify the hype around it.

Unless we get a beta with either sufficient time to get to cap or a free cap char to test endgame content then im out. Same crap happened in swtor. This all reminds me of swtor pre release. I just get this sense they are trying to hide the endgame because its not really finished.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Have you ever heard  of a "forbidden fruit" marketing strategy ?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Knowing everything about games before getting them is rubbish.

I was finished with GW2 before it was even launched because they were so open.

Surprises are good.. even shit surprises are at least interesting and 'surprising'.. that kind of thing stops boredom.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/737

"We will not be holding a traditional open beta, but if you sign up to participate in the ESO beta prior to launch and are eligible per our Terms of Service, you will get an invite to a future beta event. We will be holding several very large beta sessions that include beta key giveaway promotions before the game launches."

Does that mean that Zenimax can keep the NDA intact till launch day? Anyone recall the last time, in recent history, an AAA MMORPG that did this (i.e. skip the open beta step entirely)? Does this seem odd to anyone as well?

Final Fantasy did that and that (Partwise) worked fine.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Vannor

Knowing everything about games before getting them is rubbish.

I was finished with GW2 before it was even launched because they were so open.

Surprises are good.. even shit surprises are at least interesting and 'surprising'.. that kind of thing stops boredom.

This is really true. People cry about games not having the awe anymore but a prime reason for this is also the huge exposure they get these days. Every feature, every map and every dungeon details go out even before you start to play which removes so much of the game out. I personally am trying to stop watching videos like that (even from the devs) and wait till beta or release to get some of the awe of entering an unknown region for the first time.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I just think people need to calm down, grab a beta key that is in abundance, play the beta and see for yourselves if the game is worth playing. I see nothing wrong with a game keeping their NDA up for the duration.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

Stop crying and grab a key from Curse  I had 10 accounts signet for beta and 1 acc with witch I bought pre order,  I had 11 keys   1 for me 1 for my friend gf   and rest I gave away  on forums.

the number of key send this week is huge most people who signed got a key  you can  official call this weekend a Open beta because is not restricted to people that cared to get one. 

In privious test I haven even hear about people geting beta key this time there are for all

Fuck again I waste my time for ...... people

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

You know FFXIV didn't launch that long ago, and for that matter you can simply go over to their forums here and look at all the threads dating during beta to see that all these claims that it had an NDA up until launch is total *&^%$#%^.

You weren't able to post video from the game because they said that violated their contracts with their voice over artists.

So yeah it was totally under an NDA for people who can only consume information via youtube (except the many "video bloggers" who were talking about the game).

You people have no memory at all you can't even get your facts straight about the LATEST AAA MMORPG to be released, and yet all you do all day is sit here and debate about what "experts" you are on the genre and play backseat video game developer.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Well, at least it's a good thing that everyone who wants to test the product before it launches can do so.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Open beta is just a way to play for free anyway, never seen any changes made in a open beta. Which you can technically do now anyway just for smaller time periods. I can see em making more money by not having one.

Hell some of the cash shop free to play games stay in open beta forever :d

• WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by rasiem
    Personally I just don't think they want anyone stealing there ideas. I think there are some new features they plan to implement that they don't want the world to know about just yet and im excited.
    Anyone and Everyone can participate in the Beta as long as they agree to the NDA. Do you really believe all gamers both in and out of the industry are not already participating? Every MMO programmer with even half a mind tries to participate in upcoming AAA MMO's because it does give them ideas...
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Nah I called it. Not a shock, theyre letting everyone in wh wants to get in. So they get the best of both worlds here. Eveyrone sees a small portion of the game and they dont ever have to lift the NDA.

Only major problem with that is guys who have seen stuff past the first few levels cant comment. So they cant alk about whats in those zones past the first ones, what PvP is like with people who have a lot of points, and if crafting is decent.

Basically theyre selling the game on the first 20% of it.

Red flag for sure, and extremely reminiscent of Age of Conan. 

But if anyone is suprised by this at this point then I really dont know what to tell you.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by rasiem
    Personally I just don't think they want anyone stealing there ideas. I think there are some new features they plan to implement that they don't want the world to know about just yet and im excited. I have played in all the betas and I can tell you from being an mmo fan for well over 10 years...They got a gem here and if polished properly will be flawless. There's been way to much hate on this game that is not deserved.

Please stop with this excuse already. all big game companies have people playing the beta so this no open beta thing will only hit casual players who have better things to do than hunt for a beta key - hopefully players will be wise enough not to buy without testing it first or waiting for nda drop.