Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is the point of having to wait every day for them to send me an email so I can log in!

zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

wtf is the point of having to wait every day for them to send me an email so I can log in!

With their fucking confirm IP address shit, every time I go to start the game I get this pathetic message saying I need to confirm my IP address via waiting for them the send an email with a non clickable link that I need to copy and paste in to the browser to go to their site to confirm my IP address!

This feature is [pointless as IP addresses can be faked any hacker with half a clue can do it!

I tried submitting a support request asking how to turn it off but all they did was demand info that they already have, server name, char name etc!

Does anybody know how to turn the shit feature off?

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

You should be able to rememeber the network.  

I doubt your ISP have that many network to remember.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Every major MMO uses this. It saved my GMail account too once when someone from China tried to access and Google blocked it because it was not from any of authorised or nearby locations. The same day my Blizzard account got hacked (i didn't have the authenticator enabled). I was able to recover both because of it. Just click on "Remember this" and if it still persists, avoid turning off your Router as the dynamic IP reset might be causing it unless it's your ISP resetting your IP. It's worth it in the end.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by zasten

With their fucking confirm IP address shit, every time I go to start the game I get this pathetic message saying I need to confirm my IP address via waiting for them the send an email with a non clickable link that I need to copy and paste in to the browser to go to their site to confirm my IP address!

This feature is [pointless as IP addresses can be faked any hacker with half a clue can do it!

I tried submitting a support request asking how to turn it off but all they did was demand info that they already have, server name, char name etc!

Last time I received one of those emails (and it was like 5 months ago) the link was clickable.

Any hacker with half a clue can also steal your email address and your password so might as well ask Anet to just disable those.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Thanks!

So, no way to stop this crap then!

I already have a dozen ip addresses saved on their list and no sign of it ending!

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Thanks!

I already have a dozen ip addresses saved on their list and no sign of it ending!

Knowing that now, perhaps write their Support instead of going enrage in another Forum which has nothing to do with the whole thing?!!!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Thanks!

One extremely simple way is to use the free Google Authenticator. Then you can tell it to remember that network and you won't have anything get in the way again.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Also:

How do I use the Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication System?

The E-mail Authentication System is designed to help keep your account secure. If you were denied access when trying to log in to the Guild Wars 2 game client or official website, please check your email for a notification from us. If the log-in attempt came from you, follow the link in the email and select Remember this Network.

Here are the steps you should take to protect your account using the Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication System:

1. Log in to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2.
    2. Click Send to send a validation e-mail to your e-mail address.
      • You will be sent an email with a link to verify the e-mail address.
    3. Follow the link in the email and select Remember this Network.
      • Note: A link from us will lead to our domain, *.guildwars2.com. Do not click a link that leads elsewhere.

When you receive an e-mail indicating that someone is attempting to log in to your account, you can Allow AccessDeny Access, or Remember this Network.

• If you choose Deny Access, access to your account will be blocked.
    • If you choose Allow Access, access will be granted on a one-time basis.
    • If you choose Remember this Network, you will receive an e-mail only when a log-in attempt is made from a new IP address.

Please keep the following in mind when deciding how to respond to a login attempt:

• You should never approve a login attempt from an unknown network, as it could be from someone attempting to log in using your username and password. Instead, change your password through Account Management.
    • Always be on the lookout for phishing attempts that try to direct you to malicious websites. Remember, the official Guild Wars 2 domain is *.guildwars2.com.  Please be aware that we will not send emails that state that your account will be terminated if you do not respond or send emails that state that an account has been compromised (unless we are responding to a player). E-mails of this type are most likely malicious in intent. For more information about phishing attempts, click here.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Also:

The E-mail Authentication System is designed to help keep your account secure. If you were denied access when trying to log in to the Guild Wars 2 game client or official website, please check your email for a notification from us. If the log-in attempt came from you, follow the link in the email and select Remember this Network.

Here are the steps you should take to protect your account using the Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication System:

• Note: A link from us will lead to our domain, *.guildwars2.com. Do not click a link that leads elsewhere.

When you receive an e-mail indicating that someone is attempting to log in to your account, you can Allow AccessDeny Access, or Remember this Network.

• If you choose Remember this Network, you will receive an e-mail only when a log-in attempt is made from a new IP address.

Please keep the following in mind when deciding how to respond to a login attempt:

• You should never approve a login attempt from an unknown network, as it could be from someone attempting to log in using your username and password. Instead, change your password through Account Management.
    • Always be on the lookout for phishing attempts that try to direct you to malicious websites. Remember, the official Guild Wars 2 domain is *.guildwars2.com.  Please be aware that we will not send emails that state that your account will be terminated if you do not respond or send emails that state that an account has been compromised (unless we are responding to a player). E-mails of this type are most likely malicious in intent. For more information about phishing attempts, click here.

I know all this shit!

How do I turn it off?

It is a stupid idea to continue to add ip addresses to the system as 1: From my isp I am forced to get a new ip address often, even if I do not want one. 2: it is unlikely that I will ever get the same ip address once it has been replaced by a new one. 3: IP addresses can be faked anyway so relying on them is not a fail safe way of preventing account theft.

I need to turn this crap off because it is a waste of time!

Also:

I know all this shit!

How do I turn it off?

It is a stupid idea to continue to add ip addresses to the system as 1: From my isp I am forced to get a new ip address often, even if I do not want one. 2: it is unlikely that I will ever get the same ip address once it has been replaced by a new one. 3: IP addresses can be faked anyway so relying on them is not a fail safe way of preventing account theft.

Use the Authenticator. Problem solved.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Also:

I know all this shit!

How do I turn it off?

it sounds to me like you need to find a stable IP ddress most people dont ahve this issue, and while yes wile a IP address can be faked first they have to know which account to match the IP address to so unles your telling people your info this sint even a issue.

for real this is on your end not thiers. 

and this is comeing from someone who dousnt like guildwars 2

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Squeak69

Also:

I know all this shit!

How do I turn it off?

it sounds to me like you need to find a stable IP ddress most people dont ahve this issue, and while yes wile a IP address can be faked first they have to know which account to match the IP address to so unles your telling people your info this sint even a issue.

for real this is on your end not thiers. 

and this is comeing from someone who dousnt like guildwars 2

Kind of an odd problem anyway, most Internet Providers have their own IP ranges, that never change, it sounds like the OP is using multiple internet providers, which is the only way i can think of short of using a 'proxy' which if thats the case, then might have to stop using a proxy anyway, shouldn't need to worry about hiding your own IP address to play a game, unless their trying to bypass regional locking, which, while a pita, seems to be something people have to deal with these days. As for the rest, if an authenticator is available, its in their own best interests to make use of them. Saves on complaining about things they can't change because games companies are trying to ensure their accounts are not compromised, despite the best efforts of the players involved image

Another update and another failure to allow my ip address on their end!

Fucking pathetic shit has me near rage quit time, how fucking long do i need to fucking wait for this fucking pathetic email to arrive so I can go and verify my fucking pointless never ending change of ip addresses!!!

Fucking 2 hours before it turns up!

2 hours before I can play, pity I no longer have time to play it!

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    i have not had this issue and i use to play at a LAN cafe. you have to confirm your new location ONCE if you make sure to check the box. It is not that big of a deal. some times i have to send the verification email a couple times so it will get there within 15 mins. And in all my time on GW or GW2 i have not seen anyone else with this same issue unless your like my friend and have a IP changer then that's just your own fault.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Another update and another failure to allow my ip address on their end!

Fucking pathetic shit has me near rage quit time, how fucking long do i need to fucking wait for this fucking pathetic email to arrive so I can go and verify my fucking pointless never ending change of ip addresses!!!

Fucking 2 hours before it turns up!

2 hours before I can play, pity I no longer have time to play it!

well... that escalated quickly.

• MoarDotsMoarDots Member Posts: 40

Why is OP raging on a forums that is unable to provide him any support whatsoever?

It's not ArenaNet's fault. The system is there to protect you. It's not fail-safe, but there's no such thing as a fail-safe security system.

The fact that you're constantly getting harassed by the system means that you need to speak to your ISP or find a way to obtain a stable IP, or use the authenticator.

It's your problem, not theirs.

• ErindalErindal Member UncommonPosts: 54

I wonder why nobody asked him HOW can that said "hacker" "faken" IP address. Please explain why that said "hacker" didn't "faken" mmorpg.com's (for example) ip address yet, or root dns servers' ip addresses then and took over the whole Internet?

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by Erindal

I wonder why nobody asked him HOW can that said "hacker" "faken" IP address. Please explain why that said "hacker" didn't "faken" mmorpg.com's (for example) ip address yet, or root dns servers' ip addresses then and took over the whole Internet?

It is doable but...

I wonder who would care to hack the GW2 account of a whiny kid who NEVER managed to connect to the game anyway and who possesses nothing, no gold, no item of worth.

Actually - if what OP says is true - they might as well let a hacker play the game on their account since at least someone would make use of it!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    By now I'm more curious about what ISP he's using that is changing the IP range with every reconnect, and which email provider that needs two hours to deliver a message.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    By now I'm more curious about what ISP he's using that is changing the IP range with every reconnect, and which email provider that needs two hours to deliver a message.

I have to authenticate every time I play GW2 because my ISP uses dynamic IP's. You have to pay extra for a static IP. It's not much of an issue for me, though, because the email arrives within a minute and it's become habit.

OP, which email provider are you using? I'm having no issues on gmail. Perhaps switch email addresses and see if the problem persists? If you can get rid of the delay in receiving the email then authenticating each time shouldn't be too much of a bother, unless you log out and log in multiple times per day.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

don't want to be funny but I uninstalled my GW2 and now a am waiting for ESO.

maybe you should cut your losses and buy ESO if you had GW2 for a while.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

There isn't one.

I remember when I first played at launch, I was one of the 17,000 (something like that) people who got hacked because of Arena Net.  Don't remember if it was a security flaw or what. I was level 40, game was getting boring and left. That just made me leave about 10 levels sooner. 

But yeah, there is no point to being sent a email and there is also no point to playing this game. Not being a troll, I get you like it.

Just suggesting you move on and play someone else (doesn't have to be a MMO) like many others have.  

"What tastes like purple?"

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Contact the game support, they should be able to turn this feature off for you.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/238721-i-want-to-disable-email-authentication-how/

Oh you definitely can disable email authentication, with the help of Support.

Contact the team by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I do the email authentication daily for SWTOR . If you disable and your account gets hacked will they blame you ?

Chamber of Chains
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by MoarDots

Why is OP raging on a forums that is unable to provide him any support whatsoever?

It's not ArenaNet's fault. The system is there to protect you. It's not fail-safe, but there's no such thing as a fail-safe security system.

The fact that you're constantly getting harassed by the system means that you need to speak to your ISP or find a way to obtain a stable IP, or use the authenticator.

It's your problem, not theirs.

It looked to me like quite a few ppl have told him how to resolve the issue, he is just blatantly ignoring them or just so obtuse that he will never solve a problem 99% of GW2 players sorted out usually within a few days.

Also whats MMORPG.com done to deserve all the foul language and attitude from the OP, this isn't Arenanet.