Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who thinks star citizen will be a beast?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by free2play

So if you agree, why did you open with 'Show me the game that will blow EVE out of the water'?

Read OP maybe...?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by DocBrody

how can SC blow Eve out of the water when both are different genres.

SC = action packed space sim

EvE= more a space RTS

You will need to ask Sgel. Maybe he can offer some links to this conspiracy to bring down EVE. I'm guessing  it's one of those fabricated forum battles that crop up, kind of like any game that has hype is a WoW killer though I am sure no game designer in the history of gaming ever though, Gee I need to make a WoW killer, the last thing on the agenda for SC was to 'bring down EVE'.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

EvE= more a space RTS

You will need to ask Sgel. Maybe he can offer some links to this conspiracy to bring down EVE. I'm guessing  it's one of those fabricated forum battles that crop up, kind of like any game that has hype is a WoW killer though I am sure no game designer in the history of gaming ever though, Gee I need to make a WoW killer, the last thing on the agenda for SC was to 'bring down EVE'.

SC will certainly get almost every Eve player that wished Eve was an actual combat sim. Weather they are playing Eve or not.

I'm sure SC will do an absolutely absurd amount of sales. It will probably not shut down Eve though.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I've invested in this game as well, and I don't think it will be competing with Eve and I have my doubts about Star Citizen as a true MMO. The more I look at the development of Elite, I feel thag game could to much better in that segment.

Eve does not focus on the 1 to 1 dogfighting, it focus on bigger pictures with massive fleetfights and area control, and does its thing well.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by shinkan

I've invested in this game as well, and I don't think it will be competing with Eve and I have my doubts about Star Citizen as a true MMO. The more I look at the development of Elite, I feel thag game could to much better in that segment.

not correct, Star Citizen has seamless instancing with a scaleable limit of 100 player ships visible at one place and is server based, with instances seamlessly merging as you travel along.

Elite is peer to peer like World of Tanks and is limited to 32 players at a time, Elite is like Call of Duty multiplayer.

Star Citizen will have a persistent universe, so that is much more of an MMO

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by sgel

Could someone please show me a video of this amazing game that's going to blow EvE out of the water?

I don't mind if it's in progress.. just something that shows potential other than words from the developers mouth.

I saw the dogfighting video and it looks horrendous ;/

Also, how will their engine work with thousands of players in one battle?.. if that's not possible, then why are you even talking about competing with EvE?

I am sorry but you cant compare EVE with SC,they are different games & genres.EVE is MMORPG,SC is SP+MP+co-op and more benchmark than game in reality.

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

I am sorry but you cant compare EVE with SC,they are different games & genres.EVE is MMORPG,SC is SP+MP+co-op and more benchmark than game in reality.

He isn't comparing EVE to SC, read OP...

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Could someone please show me a video of this amazing game that's going to blow EvE out of the water?

I don't mind if it's in progress.. just something that shows potential other than words from the developers mouth.

Also, how will their engine work with thousands of players in one battle?.. if that's not possible, then why are you even talking about competing with EvE?

Can you name some elements that Star Citizen the "Benchmark" will be missing?

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

EvE= more a space RTS

I was quoting the original poster. Please try and keep up.

..Cake..

Lawless space should feel pretty much like sandbox MMO, since it will be player driven conflict there.

Don´t forget Bengal carriers, space stations and territory to fight over. Also player organizations (guilds) are already up and running.

Lawless space should feel pretty much like sandbox MMO

You mistake PVP for sandbox.

Originally posted by Gdemami

No, I said player driven conflict = sandbox MMO

implies

Player driven economy

Player driven ownership of persistant territory, stations, etc.

Player driven combat

if you want to call that PVP, fine, then sandbox MMO implies PvP

Everyone knows Themepark MMOs are an NPC show mostly on rails.

The oppposite of Sandbox MMOs

• Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by shinkan I've invested in this game as well, and I don't think it will be competing with Eve and I have my doubts about Star Citizen as a true MMO. The more I look at the development of Elite, I feel thag game could to much better in that segment.
    not correct, Star Citizen has seamless instancing with a scaleable limit of 100 player ships visible at one place and is server based, with instances seamlessly merging as you travel along.

Elite is peer to peer like World of Tanks and is limited to 32 players at a time, Elite is like Call of Duty multiplayer.

Instancing in Elite will also be seamless. The games seem very similar in this aspect.

I think one big difference will be that Elite's enormous universe will be a mainly NPC-driven simulation, so vast that players only affect it, but can never be the main driving force (not enough people in the world even if they all played it). Whereas in Star Citizen the players will be able to directly drive the economy and territory in a more condensed and hand-crafted affair, and with more players per instance.

I think it's important to note how Elite markets itself as open world multiplayer game where Star Citizen markets itself as an MMO (for those that want to take part).

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I think one big difference will be that Elite's enormous universe will be a mainly NPC-driven simulation, so vast that players only affect it, but can never be the main driving force (not enough people in the world even if they all played it). Whereas in Star Citizen the players will be able to directly drive the economy and territory in a more condensed and hand-crafted affair, and with more players per instance.

Even though the Elite universe will be huge, that doesn't mean that players won't concentrate on a certain area and thus effect the economy and politics of the region. Eve has a lot of systems, a few permanent trade hubs and many trade hubs that shift around according to alliance deployments. I don't see how this won't be similar in Elite.

Having a huge universe to play with isn't a disadvantage.. it just means that travelling into the unknown and exploring will always be possible.

I'm going to enjoy finding and interacting with nomads and self-exiled players out in the depths of space ;)

..Cake..

• PlumoniumPlumonium Member Posts: 5
    I think it will, this game is so ambitious. I hope they succeed. Good luck teams!
    Originally posted by Axxar

Originally posted by shinkan I've invested in this game as well, and I don't think it will be competing with Eve and I have my doubts about Star Citizen as a true MMO. The more I look at the development of Elite, I feel thag game could to much better in that segment.

Instancing in Elite will also be seamless. The games seem very similar in this aspect.

I think it's important to note how Elite markets itself as open world multiplayer game where Star Citizen markets itself as an MMO (for those that want to take part).

talking about elite is like talking about limit theory or infinity, not real games, more like "space engine" simulators.

Star Citizen will be a complete cinematic experience plus story, motion captured avatars, FPS, housing,  etc. and a space sim on top of that.

apples and oranges

• jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by archeageking

i backed star citizen. Who here thinks this will blow eve out of water?

true sandbox space, i cant wait.

I highly doubt it. Although it has more interesting combat, its flight mechaincs feel rather arcadish and it wil have only like hundred star systems. I would rather bet on Elite as its world is really massive.

You might be right, although i wouldnt pass judgement on a games combat mechanics since its in alpha.

I really have high hopes for this game.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

There's an interesting thread here that is basically making the claim that this game is rabidly defended due to the way in which the money was raised, which has also been a hunch of mine.  It's certainly making interesting internet waves: Jeff Reahard of Massively wrote an article called "Star Citizen's Backlash Effect".

I expect there will come a point beyond which there will no longer be anyone in Star Citizen's target market willing to pay for an unfinished product, and some of those that have will develop a significantly distorted view of this game as to potentially make any objective view impossible.

In short, replacing "a" with "the" in the thread title would bring my view closer to the affirmative.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by archeageking

i backed star citizen. Who here thinks this will blow eve out of water?

true sandbox space, i cant wait.

CS is not a sandbox

this game will have everything I ever wanted from a space sim

massively multiplayer universe -- CHECK

territory control and hardcore PvP star systems -- CHECK

epic PvE missions -- CHECK

space trading, cargo and passenger transporting -- CHECK

player *and* NPC driven economy -- CHECK

capturing ships -- CHECK

mulitcrew ships -- CHECK

epic single player campaign like Wing Commander IV -- CHECK

celebrity voice acting and motion capturing, cinematic cutscenes -- CHECK

procedural generation -- CHECK

Ground based FPS missions and ship boarding -- CHECK

what else could I need, it will have everything and they have the budget, and Chris Roberts is a guarantee for the most epic space

sim one can imagine. This guy is driven by his own goals to make his game a reality.

territory control:  Nope

procedural generation: Nope not at first

Originally posted by Gdemami

No, I said player driven conflict = sandbox MMO

implies

Player driven economy

Player driven ownership of persistant territory, stations, etc.

Player driven combat

if you want to call that PVP, fine, then sandbox MMO implies PvP

Everyone knows Themepark MMOs are an NPC show mostly on rails.

The oppposite of Sandbox MMOs

No playe rdriven economy, 

No player driven ownership of persistant territory, (yes to stations)

Player driven combat?  It will also have PVE combat as well, in fact most of the space is owned by NPC's.  

You really should try and follow the game, that way you understand what it will and will not have.  

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Game sounds like a huge pay to win to me. Never been interested in those. $15k package is just insane.

• MarpacMarpac Member Posts: 5
    Can so one explain me what is so grate about this game.... Im realy strugling to like it ....
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    i just recently started reading up on it, to check out it. seems like a pay to win cash grab style game to me. i'll be avoiding it.
    Originally posted by Salio69
    i just recently started reading up on it, to check out it. seems like a pay to win cash grab style game to me. i'll be avoiding it.

what the hell is pay to win? you hallucinating???

yes please............. avoid it