Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ditching WoW for FFXIV?

Any thoughts on this? 

Are the games identical? What are some differences?

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Well Final Fantasy 9 is a single player PS1 game....

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    that was a decent game, finished it about 13 years ago
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Ah roman numerals....its a lost art :P

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

-FF is definitely more brutal and absolutely unforgiving in it's hardest dungeons.

-Has a bit slower and more strategic combat.

-Much better graphics, but still runs like melted butter.

-Much more involved and complex crafting and gathering

However

-PvP is an afterthought currently (they are working on some kind of open pvp zone or something)

-Not nearly as much content

-Large patches but very spread out

But to be honest the real reason you should play FF, Chocobos.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Son0fZeus

Any thoughts on this? 

Not sure as to what you are looking for here, if you are asking is the transition is worth it? Then, I think so yes. But that is me, you might have a different preference all together. 

Final Fantasy 14 is a good game, it doesn't of course have the level of content that WoW has but it looks like they are trying to reach one big update every quarter, last quarter with patch 2.1 actually added quite a bit to the game. 

Now, they have a system to where you can do everything on one class, something I didn't personally do as it requires a lot of grinding, I have a sub that allows me to make many characters and as such that is what I did. So I have a level 50 Paladin and a level 50 Bard on two completely different characters and races. 

Now, the questing experience for the majority is wonderful, quests and NPC's with meaning and purpose to really draw you into the game. A great Final Fantasy based story that continues every patch. 

Dungeons and Raiding holding some level of difficulty rather than the zerg fest I find with WoW's LFR system...

Really not sure what you are going for here, but the best answer would be to pick the game up (its cheap) and use the first month free as a trial to see whether you get on with it. You'll either jump ship and play Final Fantasy like I did, or you'll return to WoW. Either way, for the price of the game you'll get your money's worth of entertainment should you decide to go back to WoW. 

If you have any specific questions I'll try and answer them as I was being very general here. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Any thoughts on this? 

FFXIV has much better graphics but does about everything else worse.  Well being able to play every class on the same character is also nice but that's about it.  If you're a huge Final Fantasy fan you might like the FF setting, but since you haven't played FFXIV by now I'm assuming you're not that much of an FF fan.

The combat is terrible, the problem is that they copied a lot about the WoW classes where you have a simple rotation or priority queue the problem is they increased the gcd to 2.5 seconds without actually making the classes anymore complex, in some cases less complex so there is a huge amount of downtime between when you can use skills.

crafting has a nice mini game but the items you create are far less useful or valuable than the items you can crafting in WoW so that's kinda a bust.

People talk a lot about the story in FFXIV but it's hardly any better than what you get for story in WoW's quest grind, and trying to compare FFXIV's story to SWTOR's is like comparing a children's book to a novel.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Why would one ditch WoW for WoW?
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by reeereee

Any thoughts on this? 

FFXIV has much better graphics but does about everything else worse.  Well being able to play every class on the same character is also nice but that's about it.  If you're a huge Final Fantasy fan you might like the FF setting, but since you haven't played FFXIV by now I'm assuming you're not that much of an FF fan.

The combat is terrible, the problem is that they copied a lot about the WoW classes where you have a simple rotation or priority queue the problem is they increased the gcd to 2.5 seconds without actually making the classes anymore complex, in some cases less complex so there is a huge amount of downtime between when you can use skills.

crafting has a nice mini game but the items you create are far less useful or valuable than the items you can crafting in WoW so that's kinda a bust.

People talk a lot about the story in FFXIV but it's hardly any better than what you get for story in WoW's quest grind, and trying to compare FFXIV's story to SWTOR's is like comparing a children's book to a novel. LOL

I think your post in the XIV thread would suffice oh yeah I have to add.

Ugh... sorry about that I need to pay more attention when almost the identical thread shows up in two different spots.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Uhhh the lack of honesty....

FFXIV has roughly zero to do at max level. Endgame wasn't even an afterthought, it was a distant memory. If you want a game that will last FFXIV is probably one of the worst choices. If all you care about is graphics and Chocobo's then sure, this games a slam dunk =P

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146

The biggest differences are:

1 All classes on one character

2 Crafting is more in depth

3 Lots of dynamic events

4 Story is more in depth

5 And of course a FF setting

6 Oh and end game is harder IMO

2. Crafting is an endless grind which turns out to be pointless

3. Dynamic events are about as dynamic as GW2, only done because quests don't give you enough xp to level secondary classes

4. Story is forced onto you and is significantly lower quality than typical FF

6. End game is based around not standing in telegraphed red circles, which is more difficult than it sounds due to some of the worst coding to ever exist in an MMO

Sounds about right. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Does FFXIV have a more enjoyable journey than WoW ? WoW can get seriously repetitive way too fast.

Originally posted by Eighteen16

The biggest differences are:

1 All classes on one character

2 Crafting is more in depth

3 Lots of dynamic events

4 Story is more in depth

5 And of course a FF setting

6 Oh and end game is harder IMO

2. Crafting is an endless grind which turns out to be pointless

3. Dynamic events are about as dynamic as GW2, only done because quests don't give you enough xp to level secondary classes

4. Story is forced onto you and is significantly lower quality than typical FF

6. End game is based around not standing in telegraphed red circles, which is more difficult than it sounds due to some of the worst coding to ever exist in an MMO

Sounds about right. 

The funny thing is that made the content way more challenging than than it would have normally been and really slowed down progression for a lot of non-elite guilds and allowed their somewhat limited end game at launch to last a lot longer than it would have otherwise.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Count me as one that ditched WoW for anything else after 3 years and a couple comebacks...

Really doesn't matter why except I was bored. No Xpac could bring me back either.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Any thoughts on this? 

Well, if you like games that 2.5-3 second global cool downs, in their combat system, then you may like FF XIV. Other wise, I'd give it a pass. I like the graphics and lore in FF, but I really hate their combat systems GC.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Any thoughts on this? 

Yes i did and then i came back. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney