Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know of any good Old-school MMOs that are currently out?

NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

I personally have gotten tired of these themeparky crap out right now.

I miss the old days of games that were hard and more sandboxy.

I know of a couple that are couple that are coming out out like Pantheon and Camelot Unchained... but are there any decent modern ones ones other than Eve?

Nirrtix
ALPHAs:
-Pantheon
-Shroud of the Avatar
-Camelot Unchained
BETAs:
-World of Warcraft
-City of Heroes
-Star Wars Galaxies
-Saga of Ryzom
-Homeworld
-Starcraft II
-Warcraft III
-Hearthstone
-Star Wars The Old Republic
-Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Comments

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70

When you say good Old-school MMO that brings to mind:

Everquest

DAOC

Atm thats all that comes to mind as its quittin time. Not sure if thats what you meant by old school though.

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    Those two were good in their times... problem is both are shells of a game now. No one plays either anymore. I used to play both actually extensivly.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    How ols school do you want?  Istaria comes to mind.
  • GathamGatham Member UncommonPosts: 8

what about Ultima Online. it has a free trial

crappy graphics,but lot´s to do.building your own house,crafting,questing and what not

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Nirrtix
    Those two were good in their times... problem is both are shells of a game now. No one plays either anymore. I used to play both actually extensivly.

And that's the problem with old school MMO's.  No one will play them because they were crap compared to what they could of been if they did away with all the time sinks and grindy aspects that made them niche.

You'll never see a Triple-A MMO like the old school MMO's, best you can hope for is some indie developer to come along and make a game reminiscent of the old school games.  Problem is the only people that'll play them are the ones currently playing the ones you consider a shell of their former self.  Thereby diluting the playerbase who enjoys that style of gaming even more.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

azz... old-school MMO's were awesome becuase your time felt invested made you feel like you achieved something. Most of those old games do not exist because little kids played the games too. 

WoW used to be fairly difficult (not like EQ or UO) but Blizz took that out too.

I was refering to like EQ mostly...

I know Brad McQuaid is trying to reincarnate EQ1 with Pantheon (with some new tricks of course) but so far there are few old-school MMO's in existance these days. Most seem to be easy mode theme parks. Azz you are right the ones that exist are dying and have so few players you might as well be playing Skyrim. I played EQ1 and EQ2 recently and since I needed companions to "group" with I quit. Why play that way? What fun is that?

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by azzamasin

You'll never see a Triple-A MMO like the old school MMO's, best you can hope for is some indie developer to come along and make a game reminiscent of the old school games.  Problem is the only people that'll play them are the ones currently playing the ones you consider a shell of their former self.  Thereby diluting the playerbase who enjoys that style of gaming even more.

Most modern gamers don't want to spend their lives in one single game, and they don't want to sit around chatting for the next spawn to arrive.

There is a reason why old school MMOs are old school, and the genre progress out of it .. and obviously leave those who prefer old design behind.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Istaria is still around? Need to install it... NOW :)

I am looking for old school games since years, but all I find are rails and silly exclamation matks.

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231
    UO still holds a decent population... if you know where to look.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Try mortal online if your not to afraid of bugs and cry to easy.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Vanguard thru July. AC2?  Also check out Shroud of the Avatar and Pantheon.  EQ And EQ2 still chugging along as is UO and DAOC.