Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

weapon/armor and how skills work with them?

zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

So say i want to be what would be a more traditional paladin-like class, do i need to have the healing staff on or i cant heal? or do i just need to use the staff/ learn the skills then i can attach them to my bar while i use sword/shield?

I would get that healing while not using a staff would be weakened, but is that how it is? Is the amount so drastic from the weapon passives that its pointless (same question if im using offensive magic)

Im really hoping people can build sort of hybrid and still be quite usefull. I still have my doubts this game can be a good middle ground with still needing some roles (tank/heal/dps) but letting people go off the beaten path a little. Ive seen how it ended up when everyone can do everything with GW2...its a dps mess and bored me to tears. Not sure how dungeons/party stuff is gimped for the sake of a group of pure DPS run in and they try to make the game work so that can happen...lordy i hope they dont.

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

A templar can heal natively without a restoration staff. There's also a skill line called "Undaunted" that contains a lot of restorative skills that are meant to be used in parties. According to the Ask Us Anything at least. The Templar's skills should not be affected by what weapon you're wielding. Only restoration staff skills should require you to use the said weapon.

I believe they also said that dungeons can be really tricky without having at least one of each from the holy trinity.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    well thats good to know, im still hoping they do a good balance between sort of needing rolls and knowing people wont all be pure builds. GW2 killed for me the notion that "everyone can do everything"...which really means DPS zerg fest everything.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by zanfire
    well thats good to know, im still hoping they do a good balance between sort of needing rolls and knowing people wont all be pure builds. GW2 killed for me the notion that "everyone can do everything"...which really means DPS zerg fest everything.

In cologne we were started off at level 7 or something so we could play around a bit. I played a nightblade and from my experience it seemed as if there were several valid builds. Kind of similar to WoW talent trees except that every "Talent" was also an active skill.

I didn't get to experience much of them but they all seemed to be rather diverse and viable. Whenever I died I felt as if it could have been prevented if I had used more stealth or if I had taken the Syphoning tree instead.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Templar also has some light/holy/whatever blasting stuff skill tree.  Don't know how any of them work but  I assume you coat your shoe in light energy and break your foot off in a boss's @$$ Paladin style