Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think your game has a big world? Wait until you see this.

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

From a Massively article, there is a game engine currently in alpha that doesn't render cities, or hundred mile long islands and call them continents, it renders planets.  As in Earth sized planets.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/31/the-outerra-seamless-planet-rendering-engine-will-blow-your-mind/

The video was also linked to in the article.  From the video, it sounds like you can download the demo and fly around the Earth, and you can also fly around Middle Earth.  Each of these worlds is rendered from being able to see a blade of grass to being able to see the planet in orbit and see it from edge to edge.  I haven't checked to see if you could render a disc world on the back of a giant elephant, but that would be cool.

And again, the video doesn't show up.  Here's a link.

http://youtu.be/XucxLLCqXqc

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

That's awesome. I'd definitely love to see something done with this in an mmo sphere.

Have a sandbox type MMO where terrain destruction can come into effect, in addition to creating star ships and reaching other planets. Geez, that'd be awesome.

Like Galaxy of Fantasy from mass effect. Lol.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Lyrian

That's awesome. I'd definitely love to see something done with this in an mmo sphere.

Have a sandbox type MMO where terrain destruction can come into effect, in addition to creating star ships and reaching other planets. Geez, that'd be awesome.

I thought about a planet sized sandbox too.  Ridiculously awesome.  I haven't read into the details of what they're doing though, so the world itself may not be something that can be sandboxed very well.  For instance, if it's generated procedurally, keeping changes to what's generated procedurally would eventually overwhelm the system.  Now, if they can change the underlying data set quickly and easily?  That might do it.  No idea what kind of servers that would take though.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Nothing new really, the technology has been around for nearly a decade now. First article for a planet rendering game engine goes back to at least 2006.

http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?10044-New-game-engine-renders-ENTIRE-PLANET!!!

With that said there is an MMO, name escapse me ATM, that has been in development for awhile using an engine that does this.

Originally posted by Sinsai

Nothing new really, the technology has been around for nearly a decade now. First article for a planet rendering game engine goes back to at least 2006.

http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?10044-New-game-engine-renders-ENTIRE-PLANET!!!

With that said there is an MMO, name escapse me ATM, that has been in development for awhile using an engine that does this.

Ah.  The difference here is that this company put their videos on Youtube, so people can actually see what's going on. :-)

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I thought about a planet sized sandbox too.  Ridiculously awesome.  I haven't read into the details of what they're doing though, so the world itself may not be something that can be sandboxed very well.  For instance, if it's generated procedurally, keeping changes to what's generated procedurally would eventually overwhelm the system.  Now, if they can change the underlying data set quickly and easily?  That might do it.  No idea what kind of servers that would take though.

It would be a big struggle and might be out of scope for the next few years until prices come down to justify creating a 'super computer' type server. This would definitely be a type of game that would need to share a single mega server instead of having multiple shards. You'd probably need to have a very very big portion of your budget going to that server I imagine.

I wonder how many equivalent square km the engine can handle?

I think a project like this is definitely possible, but it would need to have a high budget for infrastructure alone...

Here's to hoping right?

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    F#CK YA!  Ive been looking for a Dark and Light replacement for a long time and this does that and then some!  I would love to see a MMO come out where everyone starts out on one area of an entire planet and spreads out, building cities and expanding.  Food and water would be needed, nights are dark.  Talk about exploration!!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    well we all know they've been working on how to make game worlds smaller.... nice to see someone actually trying to make them bigger.
  • cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

actually its completely different you linked a forum post with no content, op linked a video actually showing something.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Pair that Earth Size virtual world with:

• Pikko Server like technology for hosting hundreds/thousands of players in any given area.
    • Procedural generation to make the base world itself
    • Voxel like interaction with player world building
    • A story-bricks like AI with motivated NPCs
    • Plus Oculus Rift in mind from the start
    and watch the petri dish go.

I think there is definitely room for such a game in our mmo market.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

The MMO in development I know of was "Infinity: Quest for Earth". Was striving to not only generate whole planets but also have space on a dimensional scale that would make it seem very real in scope (not 1:1 but much grander and more realistic than STO or JTL was).

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/241/Infinity-The-Quest-for-Earth.html

• elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by adderVXI
    F#CK YA!  Ive been looking for a Dark and Light replacement for a long time and this does that and then some!  I would love to see a MMO come out where everyone starts out on one area of an entire planet and spreads out, building cities and expanding.  Food and water would be needed, nights are dark.  Talk about exploration!!

Yeah, I was going to make the Dark and Light comparison too. The game was crap but the world was amazing. Would love to see that in a good game.

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58

We have space engine which procedurally renders universes and planets it pretty cool and also I-novae Technology

Many more on the horizon as also unity 3D which is my choice for game development has it as well as Pantheon is being made with unity 3D I think with the same concept for it's world generation but don't quote me on that since Brad McQuaid hasn't specified directly but the middleware has the capability for sure.

That is why you must watch the industry because after such a long wait the technologie is there for entire worlds and even universes to be built for us to explore and play in, pretty exciting!

I have organized some links you might be interested in, i'm in no way trying to promote these but provide information.

1. SpaceEngine http://en.spaceengine.org

2. I-Novae Engine https://www.inovaestudios.com

3. Outerra http://www.outerra.com

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    This does look pretty awesome. Reminds me of Stephenson's T'Rain.

Of course, I've heard you can make a great game or a great engine; these folks have an engine. I wonder what the limitations are.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Yeah... Infinity Quest for Earth has been doing this since at least that long. This particular tech demo is from 2010.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

It would be a big struggle and might be out of scope for the next few years until prices come down to justify creating a 'super computer' type server. This would definitely be a type of game that would need to share a single mega server instead of having multiple shards. You'd probably need to have a very very big portion of your budget going to that server I imagine.

I wonder how many equivalent square km the engine can handle?

I think a project like this is definitely possible, but it would need to have a high budget for infrastructure alone...

Here's to hoping right?

According to the developers, it handles as many square kilometers as there are on the Earth, whatever that is.  Not sure about how many square kilometers they can keep loaded for X number of players at a time though.  More players is going to mean more stuff being juggled.  Having a planet sized world isn't super great if you've only got 10 players.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    I've always been a big proponent (for personal reasons) that size doesn't matter...
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Yeah... Infinity Quest for Earth has been doing this since at least that long. This particular tech demo is from 2010.

Bren

They are finally having a Kickstarter sometime in 2014.  Infinity has been in development for-freakin-ever.  It will be cool if they actually get beyond the demo stage. :-)

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

From a Massively article, there is a game engine currently in alpha that doesn't render cities, or hundred mile long islands and call them continents, it renders planets.  As in Earth sized planets.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/31/the-outerra-seamless-planet-rendering-engine-will-blow-your-mind/

The video was also linked to in the article.  From the video, it sounds like you can download the demo and fly around the Earth, and you can also fly around Middle Earth.  Each of these worlds is rendered from being able to see a blade of grass to being able to see the planet in orbit and see it from edge to edge.  I haven't checked to see if you could render a disc world on the back of a giant elephant, but that would be cool.

And again, the video doesn't show up.  Here's a link.

http://youtu.be/XucxLLCqXqc

http://www.me-dem.me.uk/  Demo can be got through here.  Just downloaded and just from starting it it looks nifty.  gonna go walk around virtually lol.

Edit - awww its not a demo of the middle earth game, but the tech demo.

Edit Edit - http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=1491.0 terrain data for middle earth project

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

very amazing.

I am ready

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

If you go to Outerra's site you have this

progressive download of data

If you ever wondered why this aren't used commonly here it is. It's hard to send 1MB/sec data to a million users worldwide let alone the 10Mbps data connection required on the players end (10Mbps based on EQ:NL recommended requirements which does something similar). I hope even EQ:NL have some optimisations in mind because their recommended Internet requirement is quite ridiculous.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    A "mine is bigger than yours" thread.  Love it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Would be pretty neat for a rts or tbs style game. MMO.. Not sure. If the world is to vacant that would be no fun.  What kind of pc  would be needed to use it for a rts or tbs type game with AI, players or both?
  • Big world? Two words: Elite: Dangerous.

• Oran1Oran1 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    wow! holy cow O_O so when they using this on a game! :P
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Thats for all the people who always say that technology isn't advanced enough for a "real world" mmorpg.

We've seen these videos of great world-engines for years. Showing spacecrafts flying from one planet to another, through open space, the various planet's spheres, approaching ground and landing on them -all seamless.

What we get is games with age old crap engines providing 7fps in a open world scenario, objects popping into your face at 20meters (both Rift), fog of war artificially restricting the view (ESO) or the silhouette of a 2D mountain ridge painted on a skybox (Wildstar) as long distance view.