Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat annimations and immersion

Personally i love the annimations of the force powered mellee classes, and how the weapons connect..

the strict range classes also work okay...

but my little scoundrell bounty hunter just cant convince me.... He is allways on the move which makes many of his attacks, espescially the melee attacks look bad, which gives me a hard time to immerse in the class, despite the fact that mechanic wise its my favourite class...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally i love the annimations of the force powered mellee classes, and how the weapons connect..

but my little scoundrell bounty hunter just cant convince me.... He is allways on the move which makes many of his attacks, espescially the melee attacks look bad, which gives me a hard time to immerse in the class, despite the fact that mechanic wise its my favourite class...

Try Operative then? Same mechanics but with the best story (Imperial Agent) in the game. Operative also carries a rifle for normal attacks + vibroknife for melee which looks more legit imo.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Try Operative then? Same mechanics but with the best story (Imperial Agent) in the game. Operative also carries a rifle for normal attacks + vibroknife for melee which looks more legit imo.

Never played the opperative, and need to do the story anyway as its a must... Gonna try and see for myself if it feels better, thanks..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm sorry if this comes across as a troll, but I could not stand playing Imperial Agent for more than half-an-hour:

1) Diving for cover in the preset positions was immersion-breaking.

2) When you move, your upper body twists right round to shoot at targets behind you - another immersion-breaking bug.

3) The briefings come across as absolute gibberish - too much new information is introduced too soon. I was not given any emotional reason why I should care for the mission either way.

4) Who the hell were all those people shooting at me, and why were they shooting at me? I was supposed to be an under-cover secret agent!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

You should not let the game force you to the nearest boulder or cover. Choose it yourself I think you can turn that off not to mention it can send you plunging to your death if the boulder is too close to the cliff and your trajectory to get there sends you off .It happened to me and I fell into some elites like that. It was so stupid they would never have noticed me if not for the silly cover mechanic forcing me to a boulder right next to the big angry elite.

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58
    Agent is fun, pretty much my last class story, did them all. yes better animations would be great I just don't see them making it priority 1 for some time if ever to smooth them out.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I'm sorry if this comes across as a troll, but I could not stand playing Imperial Agent for more than half-an-hour:

2) When you move, your upper body twists right round to shoot at targets behind you - another immersion-breaking bug.

3) The briefings come across as absolute gibberish - too much new information is introduced too soon. I was not given any emotional reason why I should care for the mission either way.

4) Who the hell were all those people shooting at me, and why were they shooting at me? I was supposed to be an under-cover secret agent!

1) Already answered.

2) Yes, that's a bit wierd looking but nothing major.

3) You are a cold top of the line agent. If you ever asked for an emotional reason during any briefings you would be probably sent to the lockups they send their agents to in Nar Shaddaa. You are there to do the job not for sentiments.

4) They were shooting at you because you walk in the middle of a local gang war. I am guessing you spacebar through every conversation and then wonder why shit happened. Undercover doesn't mean a stealth agent. You will be walking in broad daylight and if you are in the middle of a war zone, people will shoot at you.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

1) Already answered.

2) Yes, that's a bit wierd looking but nothing major.

3) You are a cold top of the line agent. If you ever asked for an emotional reason during any briefings you would be probably sent to the lockups they send their agents to in Nar Shaddaa. You are there to do the job not for sentiments.

4) They were shooting at you because you walk in the middle of a local gang war. I am guessing you spacebar through every conversation and then wonder why shit happened. Undercover doesn't mean a stealth agent. You will be walking in broad daylight and if you are in the middle of a war zone, people will shoot at you.

ohh I was just about to respond to this as well when I saw this... spot on

In addition to #4, you are an Imperial Agent, much the same way that James Bond is an MI agent. Kinda funny that I see people trying to kill James Bond at every turn.

Personally I think the whole "James Bond" just sort of defines everything about the IA...and answers many of the questions about the story. If you do not like Bond, then you are not going to like IA, then again Wife only likes certain bonds, but loves the operative class.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I played an operative to level 15 and its annimations feel much much more fluent then the Bounty hunters mellee stuff.. Thanks for the advise...

And i am sure that i am going to love the story too..

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

So many new people playing and you know this because they think strength is for heavy armour even when they are a trooper or bounty hunter class and when you explain they are boggled. Been happening a lot lately and all the questions people asking in Dromund and Coruscant about crafting and stats only solidifies that lately many new players have started this game. Just the weekend had 127 players in Dromund Kass.

People are nice too willing to go out of the way to help with heroics. I like the community and I agree there are some people who spam and talk trash but that is there in every game but overall more nice than bad people.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

It could be that im playing a female sourceror....but have you noted how Andronikos guns fires when he holsteres them, effectively shooting himself in the pocket?