Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did R5 just do an NGE on us?

avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
So I logged in last night to find all my carefully crafted gear not usable anymore. And in the printer I could only refine sifted earth (even though I have thousands of raw resources). A lot of people are very upset over this. I will stay away from the game for a while and see how it all pans out (it's too buggy now anyway). In any case I enjoyed playing the now old Firefall a lot and hopefully this mess will all get straightened out.

Comments

• MaxZnortMaxZnort Member Posts: 19

Let's see:

1- Speed was nerfed. Carrying a crashed thumper part it's so slow motion that it's ridiculous and laughable. Not fun.

2- Research requirements are so high that will take years for anyone research everything. Not fun

3- Crafting was nerfed. Now players have to choose a specialization and within it it's only possible to craft some of the frame items (weapons or abilities or the others - jumpjets, servos, HKM). Not fun

4- Only viable way to get resources is through thumping. Missions, tornados, invasions, and all the other events only give low quality resources and in very low quantities. Not fun

5- Horizontal progression is gone. not fun

6- Player segregation has started with veteran players going to the high areas, where the high quality resources are now, and with no incentives to go back to the low areas. well, now there's low and high areas... not fun

I could continue but it's enough.

Answering the question of your post: yes. What came to my head when I played for the first time after the patch was: NGE.

----------------------
    Have fun

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by MaxZnort

Let's see:

1- Speed was nerfed. Carrying a crashed thumper part it's so slow motion that it's ridiculous and laughable. Not fun.

There was little to no frame progression in this respect. Servos where ignored because movement was ridiculously fast.  They needed to tone down base speed so that players would have both a sense of frame progression, and so open world PvP wouldn't be a clusterfuck of everything moving so fast nobody could hit anything  Carrying a crashed thumper is suppose to be ridiculously slow, thats like 95% of what that event is about.

2- Research requirements are so high that will take years for anyone research everything. Not fun

No.  It really doesn't and people need to actually start playing the game and stop repeating this nonsense.  I've earned probably 30-40k research points just playing casually since the patch, and I didn't even have any prior gear to salvage.

3- Crafting was nerfed. Now players have to choose a specialization and within it it's only possible to craft some of the frame items (weapons or abilities or the others - jumpjets, servos, HKM). Not fun

This is how most good markets in an MMO work.  Being able to do everything stagnates the market and reduces player interaction.

4- Only viable way to get resources is through thumping. Missions, tornados, invasions, and all the other events only give low quality resources and in very low quantities. Not fun

They give Crystite which you can buy resources with on the marketplace.

Not progressing was not fun. 

6- Player segregation has started with veteran players going to the high areas, where the high quality resources are now, and with no incentives to go back to the low areas. well, now there's low and high areas... not fun

This is your only correct response.  I agree that high end resources need to be spread out more.

Answering the question of your post: yes. What came to my head when I played for the first time after the patch was: NGE.

The real answer is, No.  It's a gross exaggeration and doesn't fit the profile because Firefall actually is becoming a deeper game as a result of the changes.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Its hard to say. I cant really say the changes were "bad", they are most certainly different. But i can tell you this for a fact: Its not fun for me anymore.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MaxZnortMaxZnort Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Draemos

Let's see:

There was little to no frame progression in this respect. Servos where ignored because movement was ridiculously fast.  They needed to tone down base speed so that players would have both a sense of frame progression, and so open world PvP wouldn't be a clusterfuck of everything moving so fast nobody could hit anything  Carrying a crashed thumper is suppose to be ridiculously slow, thats like 95% of what that event is about.

Yes, it should be slower than the overall movement as it was before the patch, but not that slower. You may found it fun but I don't. And the crash thumper event is an example. And the problem with the sense of frame progression is a false problem at least to me. As it was, I had that sense. As I progress I could run faster and jump higher. And you know that if you were playing with a frame with tier 3 equipment and start progressing a new one you notice the difference. There weren't great difference between a stock and tier 2 equipment but that allowed to participate in events with veterans players(invasions for example) early in the game. Nerfing movement just made things harder and that's the easy solution: hmm, this guys are eating the content to fast. Instead of 2 minutes to climb that mountain let's nerf their movement abilities so it takes 10. It's more fun...

No.  It really doesn't and people need to actually start playing the game and stop repeating this nonsense.  I've earned probably 30-40k research points just playing casually since the patch, and I didn't even have any prior gear to salvage.

So, with your 40k RP per week you'll need 360 weeks to research all the frames equipment to tier 4. I'm not counting researching thumpers and so on, just frame equipment. Math below:

(16frames)x(9modules/frame)x(100kRP to research to level4)=14400kRP at 40K per week=360 weeks=6,92 years

This is how most good markets in an MMO work.  Being able to do everything stagnates the market and reduces player interaction.

If I want to play economy I return to EVE. And there was a lot of player interaction. And being able to do everything IS FUN! FUN remember, FUN! Games are fun, not economy and markets and bla bla bla, it's just fun.

yeah lots of crystite... Again, the market, the economy, bla, bla, bla... It's not fun!

I just don't have fun doing the same thing 1 zillion times: kill a rat, sell the loot, buy a new sword, kill a cat, sell the loot, buy a new sword, kill a dog, sell the loot, buy a new sword, kill a cow, sell the loot, buy a new sword,..., kill a dragon, sell the loot, buy a new sword,..., I'm bored. But you find it fun, it's ok

This is your only correct response.  I agree that high end resources need to be spread out more.

You should check again: 1 - Movement speed was nerfed? yes. 2 - See the maths above. 3 - Crafting was nerfed? yes. 4 - The only way to get resources is from thumping? yes. 5 - Horizontal progression is gone? yes. 6 - You agree with me.

So, I see 6 correct facts that you didn't say that are false. You just disagree with me if they are fun or not, so don't say this is my only response correct. You like the changes and for you the game is more fun now? Cool, keep playing, have fun. For me it's not.

The real answer is, No.  It's a gross exaggeration and doesn't fit the profile because Firefall actually is becoming a deeper game as a result of the changes.

There's not a real answer. Again, you assume that what you like is correct and that what the others like isn't. About the NGE thing, I came here to start a thread asking if someone else had the same NGE feeling I had with the new patch. Well, the op was faster than me.

Deeper games? There's a lot of deeper games out there. I don't care if it's deeper, superficial, with great economy, graphics, lore. I just care for one thing: Is it fun to play? Before the patch I had fun playing Firefall, now I don't. I solve this as I always do: START MENU->Red5Studios->Uninstall Firefall.

Anyway, I have to thank red5studios for 6 months of great fun play.

----------------------
    Have fun

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

Remember, the game is beta and subject to change until release.

In my opinion, these recent changes were all for the better and very much needed.

I hope you figured out how to maximize your salvaging profit when salvaging all your old equips (using the Salvager addon)

Best wishes

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    It keeps sounding more and more like they need a wipe.
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    same happened to me, I logged in after having months off to find all my gear wasn't any good anymore, and most of the things in my back pack were grey, I already had a feeling of been there and done that when I leveled suits first time around, so I logged back out again, and continued my search for a game to play.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The crafting nerf doesn't sound fun at all. I want to be able to learn and do whatever crafting I want. That was fun for me. I've not been playing for a while so I think I'll wait for a while before I reinstall and check the changes out. It sounds like they may have some polishing work to do.

Remember where you're getting your info from...drama queen island isn't a very reliable source.

If you're a vet player and had ANYTHING researched to tier 4 they gave you all 4 lines of crafting. So long term player were not screwed around. If you're a new player the market is a viable way to get things you can't build so is a guild ...with other people in it.

The changes to the crafting and progression are good for the game. Like always though firefall needs content more than anything. Something they just don't seem to want to work on.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

The amount of times they have had to re-structure and rebuild this game is absurd.

Don't get me wrong I think Firefall is a good concept and overall a good idea, but good god did and have they lacked focus. You can't blame the community being upset over certain aspects as there have been so many overhauls it opens the gate for criticism as players can see what it could have been as opposed to what it is.

It would be good if they could actually make up their mind about the direction and build of their game. It's pretty amazing and frustrating to see them constantly flop around like a fish out of water. As much as I liked the initial idea of Firefall the frustration of watching them develop it has reached its peak.

I would say Firefall is like being on a date with someone that cannot decide what they want to eat and they keep asking you and still can't decide.....forever......and ever.....................................................until the end of time.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

Here is what you do - patch the game enough that enough people hate it, then when you abandon ship not as many people are angry, in fact people are happy, because the last time they played, all they remember was how bad it was. 

And that's how you get a smooth exit - see it's easy to mess things up.

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

To anyone returning to the game:

1. Download Salvager addon CLICK HERE

2. Save every piece of gear you find, don't salvage until you can bulk salvage

3. Complete daily missions as the first thing you do when logging on (1 red bean per daily mission)

4. Save up 10 red beans and buy VIP for 1 day (I usually do this once every 2 weeks)

5. Use the Salvager addon (/salvage) to bulk salvage every piece of gear you've accumulated

We get a massive bonus for salvaging more and more at once, and VIP gives a 50% crystite bonus.

Have any questions? Contact me in-game: Teleste

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

Let's see:

I could continue but it's enough.

Absolutely truth

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Originally posted by Draemos

Let's see:

all your answers are wrong.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The crafting nerf doesn't sound fun at all. I want to be able to learn and do whatever crafting I want. That was fun for me. I've not been playing for a while so I think I'll wait for a while before I reinstall and check the changes out. It sounds like they may have some polishing work to do.

Remember where you're getting your info from...drama queen island isn't a very reliable source.

If you're a vet player and had ANYTHING researched to tier 4 they gave you all 4 lines of crafting. So long term player were not screwed around. If you're a new player the market is a viable way to get things you can't build so is a guild ...with other people in it.

The changes to the crafting and progression are good for the game. Like always though firefall needs content more than anything. Something they just don't seem to want to work on.

Your last paragraph has been the main contention point from the beginning, they keep tweeking and changing the same thing time after time after time and never finish.