Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: Landmark: The Sandbox MMO Begins Alpha TODAY

Comments

• LagKingBongLagKingBong Member Posts: 54
    No PVP yet sir, that is not a feature at launch. Look down the road 6-9 months at the least and/or EQ:N
  • NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    thnx for the info Lag :)

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Keg0413

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

I completely agree. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by xpiher

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

I completely agree. 

Well I for one, would have paid 100 dollars to play teh glory that was minecraft and the amount of ridiculous hours i put into it would have easily justified it. A better minecraft? Fuck yes

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by severius

Looks interesting.  Too bad neither I nor my guild will be giving this a shot.

275 of us, while not the hundreds of thousands that Smedley is concerned about, isn't something to sneeze at, especially with a combined gaming experience of nearly 7000 years lol.  Oh well.  Have fun folks!  

At east until Smed stabs you in the back and tells you that you asked for it. :)

Don't worry champion, Blizzard will sell you sparkle ponies and expansion packs steadily declining in craftsmanship for as long as you like.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I completely agree. 

Not Hundreds... Just $100, At least that is what I paid... But then again I am a long time supporter of SOE and I can afford to do so, and am looking forward to trying this out... Even if it completely blows, What's $100 in the grand scheme... Absolutely nothing.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

I completely agree. 

What a dumb post.  No one is making anyone pay to play.  You can wait for a free beta invite or use the code in PC Gamer.  Or you can wait for the game to be released and play it for free then. 

SOE is a "for profit" company.  Just like every other game company.  They can't make a new game unless they have enough capital to pay their employees while they develope the game.

And this is so much more then a reskinned Minecraft. 

Also, "people" paid many thousands of dollars to get into Alpha.  Each person only paid $60 or $100 each to play. 
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Telil

Dayz 800 000? really? im playing it, theres around 40 servers ranging between 20 and 40 per server.

thats nowhere near 800 000 lol.

Must show how bad Dayz is if that many people have rbought it and already left.

they even pass the 1 million sell.

you know 800k people does not mean 800k player are actually playing at the same time,

dayz and rust according to steam almost get 30k to 50k player playing at the same time, going up and down,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Mavolence

I completely agree. 

Well I for one, would have paid 100 dollars to play teh glory that was minecraft and the amount of ridiculous hours i put into it would have easily justified it. A better minecraft? Fuck yes

Better is subjective. What I foresee is landmark being used to crowd source content to import into EQ:N which is essentially what Neverwinter does. Nothing new to see here IMO, just a new skin on a growing trend to attract games that want to be game designers without knowledge of programing.  Nothing wrong with it at all, just not what I'm looking for in a game.

I'm not attacking the Landmark, I'm just surprised that people paid this much for something that essentially amounts to mincraft. And the more emphasis SOE puts on landmark and the PvE nature of it, the less interest I have in EQ:Next because it shows me that the game won't offer a good player social experience. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by smokeybha

Does it matter which pack I buy? Will the $19.99 one work?

For Beta, yes. For Alpha, need to spend $100.

$60 explorer of 100 dollar trailblaser will get you into alpha.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

"In addition"

"Exciting"

"Interesting"

Way to write a preview there. Your choice of words for this shows that this is a big company game that will be getting big company respect from this site.

Also that video wasn't that impressive. Very bland buildings. Just brightening the video doesn't make me want to run out an buy it.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    With the restrictions to the class and skill system its anything but a sandbox with totall freedom to me...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

You can poke fun that its derivative of minecraft or a 'minecraft with good graphics and massive multiplayer' but you cannot deny how awesome the idea of a minecraft mmo with amazing graphics is to many people.

That being said, they have work cut out for them.  Minecraft was easy to get into, and because of the limits to building in minecraft, it was easy to build something pretty.  In this game, only the most hardcore players will be building beautiful stuff.  That isn't a game killer, but this game certainly wont be for the casual crowd.  And I don't think it is meant to be.  It is an awesome game on its own for many people, but it is also a stepping stone to EQ Next proper, which will be aimed at the masses.

My concern:  This game will be forgotten as development turns more heavily towards the 'full' EQ Next, and the awesome stuff people create will go mostly ignored.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Landmark is not Everquest next or the MMO.  Landmark is the minecraft clone/playground for the Everquest Next technology.

Even SOE press releases call it a "Social building game"   I dont expect to be so mislead from the Editor of  MMORPG website.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by zevian

Landmark is not Everquest next or the MMO.  Landmark is the minecraft clone/playground for the Everquest Next technology.

Even SOE press releases call it a "Social building game"   I dont expect to be so mislead from the Editor of  MMORPG website.

Its Massive  ( maybe its alpha not 100% sure but in theory)

Its Multiplayer

Its Online

ITs just not a MMORPG..but the title did not add the R P G part....just sayin   =)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So is anyone playing this? Is there a NDA or can people talk about it and if so what's the word?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by nilden
    So is anyone playing this? Is there a NDA or can people talk about it and if so what's the word?

As I type 32 more % and then Ill be subject to the NDA  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Its Multiplayer

Its Online

ITs just not a MMORPG..but the title did not add the R P G part....just sayin   =)

When i think of MMO i dont think of Minecraft, or League of Legends, or Starcraft, or even Battlefield.   All of which can be considered Massive, multiplayer, and online.   (farmville, farmtown, various other facebook games also fit the bill).   I appreciate letting us know the Alpha has started, and i suppose its really not the Posters fault for the misleading title but rather Sony, for trying to imply to people this is their next MMO  (or is it MMORPG)  I see so many abbreviations used the same for various online massive multiplayer or role playing games it gets awfully confusing.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Its Multiplayer

Its Online

When i think of MMO i dont think of Minecraft, or League of Legends, or Starcraft, or even Battlefield.   All of which can be considered Massive, multiplayer, and online.   (farmville, farmtown, various other facebook games also fit the bill).   I appreciate letting us know the Alpha has started, and i suppose its really not the Posters fault for the misleading title but rather Sony, for trying to imply to people this is their next MMO  (or is it MMORPG)  I see so many abbreviations used the same for various online massive multiplayer or role playing games it gets awfully confusing.

It's an MMO.  You can have hundreds of players all running around together.  I don't know how you can confuse that with a game like Starcraft...  I think the haters have lost their grasp here.

Does it have hundreds of players  represented in the same area at once?  Yes

Does it have 3D avatars of those player? Yes

Does it have character progression? Yes

Does it have combat? Yes

Does it allow those players to communicate and work together? Yes

It's an MMORPG.  It meets every single one of the criteria.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Well I think I just lost my mind. I bought a Trailblazer pack.
  • deland668deland668 Member Posts: 2
    is anyone playing yet, i havent got apha key yet
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Grats SoE
  • D0csD0cs Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by deland668
    is anyone playing yet, i havent got apha key yet

Yep, it's been up a while now. If you bought a founders pack you don't need to wait for an email. Just go to the forums, there's a link in the announcements section to download it.

• deland668deland668 Member Posts: 2
    thankyou!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by ste2000

I wish I could see more of the rest of the game-play so I can make up my mind on this game

They really show very little on their videos.

Lol I really have low expectations for this game.....Right now this game is smoke and mirrors......I think they are throwing alot of things into the bowl and hoping a great game comes out of it, but I really have my doubts on this one.....They are taking the concepts  of 2 very popular MMOs and trying to sell them to us......Its another example of how gamers will pay for jsut about anything blindly, and I expect in a few months we'll be hearing rumbles from these people of how they were ripped off.