Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Decide...

mentalnekomentalneko Member Posts: 18

I'm slowly realizing that I'm done with FFXIV at this point, having done just about everything except the hardest boss battle at the moment. So I've been searching around for a game that has an actual time investment involved, that I can enjoy and get really sucked in to. Currently the games on my radar are EQ1, Asheron's Call, FFXI, and EVE.

I'm already playing EQ1 but the mercenary system really rubs me the wrong way. No one really seems to even want to group at all at the lower levels so it seems almost pointless to be an MMO until you hit 60. I've already played XI to about lvl 40ish a year ago, and they just implemented a similar system that allows soloing. I've also dabbled in EVE, and while I enjoyed it it's not necessarily what I'm wanting out of an MMORPG.

I like seeing my efforts growing my skills, rather than my skills passively advancing. If I throw in more time I'd like that time to be rewarded in something that isn't just money. However, I've yet to play AC. I've seen some videos, and it looks like it could be enjoyable, and checking the forums it does seem like there is a stream of new people playing the game.... However I don't know how vocal the community will be early on.

I'd rather not have a similar incident to when I tried out Anarchy, in which I leave the starting zone and the world became barren and void of players. I enjoy grinding, and exploring, but I can't stand an MMO that feels like a single player game due to the fact that MMOs are inherently bad games. Which is why I'd like to feel like I'm playing more of a virtual world than a game.

I've also thought about Darkfall but everyone says it's dying.

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Off the wall suggestion but I dabbled in Wakfu right after quitting FFXIV and it has some of the things you're interested in like skill advancement and more virtual world with their environment system, however I'm not sure there is a lot of grouping at lower levels, the combat is very different than a traditional mmo, and the graphic style is very reminiscent of RO, which is not something everyone will be into.
  • mentalnekomentalneko Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Off the wall suggestion but I dabbled in Wakfu right after quitting FFXIV and it has some of the things you're interested in like skill advancement and more virtual world with their environment system, however I'm not sure there is a lot of grouping at lower levels, the combat is very different than a traditional mmo, and the graphic style is very reminiscent of RO, which is not something everyone will be into.

I played it in beta a bit, and for a tiny portion the other day. I played Dofus a LONG time ago, and enjoyed it up until I hit the P2P wall. I'm just not too much of a fan of having all of these quests directing me where to go though. I feel compelled to do them, but am also bored by them at the same time. I might give it another go here in a bit though.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • mentalnekomentalneko Member Posts: 18
    I tried playing more Wakfu, and once again the quests really killed it for me, but that's my own issue with questing in general. I rarely read quest text due to the fact that I've adapted to bee lining through them, and the fact that quests don't really even feel worth the read for that matter. Trecking through this odd grid world that looks like an odd top down mess of animated minecraft throws me off since top down games already throw off my vision a bit, and the messiness doesn't help. I'll prolly keep dabbling in on it as the combat isn't bad, but would most likely be better in a group as I remember Dofus was.