Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Originally posted by Iselin

A race which BTW, all of us were prepared to live without until 24 hours ago. It has only inexplicably (who the f**k ever plays a damn imperial in any ES game?) become a highly coveted item simply because not everyone gets it. 

Hey now, I always play an Imperial.  They tend to get the best (only) bonuses to speechcraft in the single player games.  At this point it is just personal tradition, I'll play one even if they have the worst racial skill line in the game.  That said, I love this Imperial Edition.  It gives me something I wanted anyway, in a collector's edition I was already planning to buy, win/win.

I knew there was one of you out there somewhere image

I always play a caster or thief... Imperials are pretty blah for either of those choices.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

As I said in my previous posts.

It's gonna be a hell worse than swtor.

hahahha

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Star Trek Online did this 4 years ago.

Buy lifetime sub = get an "exclusive" race. "exclusive" because 50% of the population played that race.^^ NOT THAT EXCLUSIVE AND UNIQUE.

The price of the lifetime sub was around 150€, so I guess about the same amount you would pay for a CE.

I don't get why someone would rage about not be able to play Imperial. Its not like they are giving you a cool/unique race. Its just HUMANS, the most common race in every MMORPG. Most races look almost the same anyway.

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

Orc = humans with green skin and ugly faces

Nord = humans with the height scale set to max

Dark Elf = humans with darker skin and pointy ears

High Elf = humans with green/yellow skin and pointy ears

Wood Elf = humans with pointy ears

Khajit = A UNIQUE RACE

Argonian = A UNIQUE RACE

Overall you have only 2 really unique races, which are Khajit and Argonian. Everything else are slight variations of the human race, you wont even notice when they wear a frikkin helmet.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Buy lifetime sub = get an "exclusive" race. "exclusive" because 50% of the population played that race.^^ NOT THAT EXCLUSIVE AND UNIQUE.

The price of the lifetime sub was around 150€, so I guess about the same amount you would pay for a CE.

I don't get why someone would rage about not be able to play Imperial. Its not like they are giving you a cool/unique race. Its just HUMANS, the most common race in every MMORPG. Most races look almost the same anyway.

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

Khajit = Hariy human with a cat head

Argonian = scaly human with a reptile head

Overall you have no unique races. Everything are slight variations of the human race, you wont even notice when they wear a frikkin helmet.

there ya go buddy.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Margulis

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

They're not charging extra for an entire race, they're charging $20 for a collector's edition. That CE, instead of just having the usual fluffy stuff that you outgrow by level 10, has something more durable this time: a mount and an entire race.

A race which BTW, all of us were prepared to live without until 24 hours ago. It has only inexplicably (who the f**k ever plays a damn imperial in any ES game?) become a highly coveted item simply because not everyone gets it.

The value of it isn't the point.  It's the whole message being sent by the developer.  It's the flip-flopping.  The lying and deceit.  Pay locking content in a P2P game.  If it was just a skin, maybe it wouldn't even matter, but it's not just a skin.  There are racial skill lines involved, as well as crafting styles that will encompass an entire crafting system.  

it really doesn't matter how many times I say this, people just can't comprehend certain things and never will.  I really need to stop frustrating myself with the incompetence of others.  I'm hungry, making food is a much better use of my time.

Originally posted by DAS1337

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

They're not charging extra for an entire race, they're charging $20 for a collector's edition. That CE, instead of just having the usual fluffy stuff that you outgrow by level 10, has something more durable this time: a mount and an entire race.

The value of it isn't the point.  It's the whole message being sent by the developer.  It's the flip-flopping.  The lying and deceit.  Pay locking content in a P2P game.  If it was just a skin, maybe it wouldn't even matter, but it's not just a skin.  There are racial skill lines involved, as well as crafting styles that will encompass an entire crafting system.  

it really doesn't matter how many times I say this, people just can't comprehend certain things and never will.  I really need to stop frustrating myself with the incompetence of others.  I'm hungry, making food is a much better use of my time.

Don't be so sure people don't understand. What you're saying is very simple. And it's also very emotional with loaded terms like "lying" "deceit".

What it is is totally unexpected shit that we didn't need or want 48 hours ago.

They're gating it to keep the aberrant player numbers--the Imperial deserters and alliance defectors--low...good on them: I don't want a shit pile of Imperials everywhere or many Orcs in my Aldmeri Dominion.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I find it so odd how you always argue with me about cash shops and nickel and dimeing players. Yet you are ok with them locking an entire race by a pay gate which is something you would only usually see with a F2P game which you hate so much.

Whether or not the race is popular or not doesn't really matter. It's content that really shouldn't be locked in a P2P game.

Well it only validates my reason even more on why I think this game is absolute garbage. But hey .. people LOVE garbage in this day and age. Go figure.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Randallt3mp

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

Overall you have no unique races. Everything are slight variations of the human race, you wont even notice when they wear a frikkin helmet.

there ya go buddy.

If khajjit and argonians and "normal" humans are the same race, can they have babies together? I always wanted to, you know, check. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I find it so odd how you always argue with me about cash shops and nickel and dimeing players. Yet you are ok with them locking an entire race by a pay gate which is something you would only usually see with a F2P game which you hate so much.

Whether or not the race is popular or not doesn't really matter. It's content that really shouldn't be locked in a P2P game.

Well it only validates my reason even more on why I think this game is absolute garbage. But hey .. people LOVE garbage in this day and age. Go figure.

You thought the inevitable Collector's Edition was going to be the same price as the standard? Good one!

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by sacredfool

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

there ya go buddy.

If khajjit and argonians and "normal" humans are the same race, can they have babies together? I always wanted to, you know, check. 

Rumor has it that the Aldmeri Dominion is experimenting on exactly that at their concent... err, laboratories.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by trisox

my biggest issue with it arent the preorder CE items themselves.

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

Just my to cents, opinions are welcome! :)

QFT!

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by trisox

my biggest issue with it arent the preorder CE items themselves.

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

Just my to cents, opinions are welcome! :)

QFT!

Except for the part in red that's not even remotely a "T"?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I paid an extra 40$ in Asheron's Call to get to play Viamontian

I paid 40, 40, 40 to play Pandas, Goblins, Worgens, Blood Elves, and Draneis

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    The mount is where it's at.

You thought the inevitable Collector's Edition was going to be the same price as the standard? Good one!

Please point to me where I said that o.o?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by TdogSkal It is unacceptable to release a game and a DLC on the same day

How can you not see that flaw in your rasoning?

If people pay for day 1 DLC, it is apparently acceptable.

Same goes for OP.

Your ship has sailed. Zenimax can "get away with it" because people do pay for those things, they do accept such business models, they are fine with. You are not? Well, bad for you...

There... in red for you. The $20 extra for the CE is what I assume you're referring to as locking content and putting an entire race behind a pay gate. You either really don't understand how Collector Editions work or you're pretending not to... I'm betting on door #2.

It's just another CE with stuff... good stuff  as CEs go for a change.... and that's all it is.

But as you say, you think the game is absolute garbage, so it's not surprising that you would try to spin the CE perks the way you have.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    blablabla

there ya go buddy.

Thanks dude for fixing that.

But srs, just compare the characters models in the next beta and you will get what I mean. Some MMORPGs excel at creating distinctive races. ESO is not one of them. They did a good job with Khajit and Argonian, but everything else is just the same shit. That is why I dont get it why someone would rage about something that trivial.

There... in red for you. The $20 extra for the CE is what I assume you're referring to as locking content and putting an entire race behind a pay gate. You either really don't understand how Collector Editions work or you're pretending not to... I'm betting on door #2.

It's just another CE with stuff... good stuff  as CEs go for a change.... and that's all it is.

But as you say, you think the game is absolute garbage, so it's not surprising that you would try to spin the CE perks the way you have.

I understand CEs just fine. They usually don't include things that are normally a major part of the game, such as a race. Especially since we are talking Elder Scrolls. They usually include exclusive items, outfits, exp, ect.

So yes .. I do understand it just perfectly fine. It seems you on the other hand will back this game up no matter what they do, because you are stubborn. They are doing something you specifically hate. We have had arguments about F2P games doing this kind of crap.

Yet here you are supporting that crap. What is the difference? In F2P .. it's during the game in cash shops, in ESO it's before the game launches instead. [mod edit]

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Your poverty pisses me off!

When you buy a box of cornflakes in the supermarket and get an extra pack of Rice Pops for buying the bigger box, or if you buy a car and get certain pay-configurations on top for choosing the more expensive version, absolutely no one is argueing. If this very traditional business model is used in online games, people start moaning, complaining and try to make a shitstorm out of it.

Get over it. This is how the world works and in this case it is only a few bucks. If you want something special, you have to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then you better start to work for it or simply begin saving for it.

Originally posted by Asariasha

When you buy a box of cornflakes in the supermarket and get an extra pack of Rice Pops for buying the bigger box, or if you buy a car and get certain pay-configurations on top for choosing the more expensive version, absolutely no one is argueing. If this very traditional business model is used in online games, people start moaning, complaining and try to make a shitstorm out of it.

Get over it. This is how the world works and in this case it is only a few bucks. If you want something special, you have to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then you better start to work for it or simply begin saving for it.

Difference is, when you pay extra for more, you tend to get ... things that are not standard. Keyword, standard.

A race in a game that has been part of the series for some time all of a sudden costing extra when in the past it was standard is not good. Unique Mounts, pets, items ... are all not standard. A well known race that is suppose to be part of the game is standard.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Difference is, when you pay extra for more, you tend to get ... things that are not standard. Keyword, standard.

A race in a game that has been part of the series for some time all of a sudden costing extra when in the past it was standard is not good. Unique Mounts, pets, items ... are all not standard. A well known race that is suppose to be part of the game is standard.

In the past?  Do you mean in the prior Elder Scrolls MMO, or the prior single player game focused on a three faction conflict?  And by "supposed to be part of the game" you mean that prior to the collector's edition announcement people thought we were going to have playable Imperials?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

I love reading threads like this first thing in the morning, it gives me hope the world isn't filled with dumb, self-entitled, whiney little bit&^%'s.....oh wait!

Personally I couldn't care less that they put an imperial skin as part of the collectors edition bonus, how many of the 'more outraged than at murder and war!' people would have even played imperial anyway? I'm willing to bet very few..... I am however abit disgrunted that the standard digital (and retail) edition is £49.99, for a sub game to have a box price this high is abit off.

Taking that into account, and my personal experience of the most important aspect of any game, the gameplay, I will still be buying this though. Even if I only ended up playing for two months its still cheaper than two months worth of any other form of entertainment.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Ive worked in customer service catering 30 years ago and supermarket customer service a few years ago and I can say you are utterly wrong.

People do complain. They complain at length about hidden costs and buyer manipulation. They complain to their partners, their children, to you and keep complaining as they walk out the store. NOBODY likes the paygating or hidden cost mentality. They dont want te Rice Pops - they want more bloody cornflakes for the extra price not a product they never had interest in. They demand to know why the car isnt built with all the extra's at one price - why the hell did they take the entertainment centre out just to make us pay to put it back in?

So re-orient your thinking - the complaints have been going for decades. The buyer hates these cross marketing and upscaling tricks. The problem is people with money just dont care and dont listen.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Sir, you are the perfect model of F2P player