Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final review after 2 months of sub

cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Pros:

One of the best games out there for raiders with very few bugs.

Great storyline that gets you to max level.

Great animations and (Some) voices with story.

Animations are good and not overdone like some korean MMO's.

Good crafting concept

Cons:

After you finish the story leveling a second char is SUPER boring, just go grind Fate's.

World is very theme park, no reason to go out of the main city ever. Just Queue for a raid/dungeon.

End game is weekly raid A, weekly raid B, finish a couple hard mode dungeons, thats it.

I am sick of doing the same thing 47. time, end game gets old very fast. No feeling of a real world

All characters at max level are EXACTLY same, same armor set, same talents, ( you cannot pick talents, all same for all classes)

Crafting system is very good but no point in crafting...go grind dungeon few times buy any item you want. Do some raids and buy much better items than you can ever craft.

CAP- You got a cap on how many dungeon tokens you can win each week so you cannot collect all set in 1-2 weeks and keep paying a sub so you can wait 5-6 more weeks to collect all set pieces (if not raiding). I was off last week from work and cant do more than 7-8 dungeons for mythology tokens, need to wait 1 week for reset...

FINAL VERDICT:

Fun game to kill 1-2 months while waiting for the next thing. Great storyline to follow, but once it is done the game gets old. The new added dungeons/raids wont help with the useless theme park world. Couldnt get warmed up to my character because i look exactly the same in the same exact armor every other person wears, not to mention same exact skills/talents.. I will not sub when sub ends, moving on to the next one.

Comments

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    it was like this since 1.0 the game is fun for 1-2 first month when everything to you is new. after that its get boring with heavy grind
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Lack of vision is clear with ARR.

Garuda

Garuda HM

Garuda Extreme

Garuda OMFGWTFhurrdurrdurr

Hard = Takes longer = amplify the grind factor by 1000.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

OP's post is very narrowly defined. 

The game is designed to be played in small bits... not "content devouring" like the OP want it. If you log on for 2-3 hours a day, this is what you can usually accomplish:

Daily:

6 daily beastmen quest

1 high level random dungeon

1 low level random dungeon

1 guild heist

Gather your daily treasure map and complete it

Once a week you also want to:

Possibly run CT or other endgame raids. 

One night a week raid Coil

Not to mention, level other classes by doing Fates and Leves ( ie repeatable quests)

The OP also complains about doing the same thing over and over. Well EVERY game is doing the same thing over and over, especially games where you have to level another character to get a class to higher level. At least in FFXIV it is the same character. 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by free2play

Garuda

Garuda HM

Garuda Extreme

Lack of vision = using limited resources efficiently? Who would've known!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by fs23otm

OP's post is very narrowly defined. 

The game is designed to be played in small bits... not "content devouring" like the OP want it. If you log on for 2-3 hours a day, this is what you can usually accomplish:

Daily:

6 daily beastmen quest

1 high level random dungeon

1 low level random dungeon

1 guild heist

Gather your daily treasure map and complete it

Once a week you also want to:

Possibly run CT or other endgame raids. 

One night a week raid Coil

Not to mention, level other classes by doing Fates and Leves ( ie repeatable quests)

The OP also complains about doing the same thing over and over. Well EVERY game is doing the same thing over and over, especially games where you have to level another character to get a class to higher level. At least in FFXIV it is the same character. 

FFXIV is in dire need of some fluff activities like pet battles or something of the sort. Leveling your chocobro and FC housing are both tedious and enormously un-fun grinds. PVP is a decent distraction from the repetitiveness of standing in town queuing for instances, but team deathmatch on the same map loses appeal pretty quickly.

I really wish crafting wasn't almost 100% useless as I think it's easily the best feature of the game and I could really sink my teeth into it if it wasn't such a waste of time. I feel like there isn't a whole lot to do if I don't feel like grinding instances. I could have spent weeks messing with the layout of a FC house, but we all know how that turned out.

Hopefully 2.2 brings in some more fluff. 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by simsalabim77 

FFXIV is in dire need of some fluff activities like pet battles or something of the sort. Leveling your chocobro and FC housing are both tedious and enormously un-fun grinds. PVP is a decent distraction from the repetitiveness of standing in town queuing for instances, but team deathmatch on the same map loses appeal pretty quickly.

I really wish crafting wasn't almost 100% useless as I think it's easily the best feature of the game and I could really sink my teeth into it if it wasn't such a waste of time. I feel like there isn't a whole lot to do if I don't feel like grinding instances. I could have spent weeks messing with the layout of a FC house, but we all know how that turned out.

Yes because pet battles are such a small feature.  Just ask  Blizzard who did it with largest MMO dev team ever probably.  It only took them what 10 years?  Chocobo will get better when you can have it out and be in queues IMO.  IT will just your companion while your out and about while waiting which is how it should have been from the start.  Housing prices are stilling going down and people have to remember it's a FC house not a personal house.  No one is forcing you to buy a million gil house by yourself.  You're supposed to raise funds with your FC and smaller ones it will take longer yes but the large ones shouldn't have to much trouble if every member just gave 100k gil which isn't even that much.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by NetSage

Yes because pet battles are such a small feature.  Just ask  Blizzard who did it with largest MMO dev team ever probably.  It only took them what 10 years?  Chocobo will get better when you can have it out and be in queues IMO.  IT will just your companion while your out and about while waiting which is how it should have been from the start.  Housing prices are stilling going down and people have to remember it's a FC house not a personal house.  No one is forcing you to buy a million gil house by yourself.  You're supposed to raise funds with your FC and smaller ones it will take longer yes but the large ones shouldn't have to much trouble if every member just gave 100k gil which isn't even that much.

Pet battles isn't that out of the question, FFXI had that feature and also a feature that lets you play as a monster. First of all the chocobo companion content needs fleshing out though as you said.

It's funny how people bitch about the time investment required for a vanity house when the other option is for everyone to grind endgame gears for years like back in the early 2000's. Or we could have the players with too much time bitching about grinding for achievements like in other games.

XIV's approach is the perfect middleground (even if the execution was not perfect from the get-go) and I guess it'll take people a while to realize it. For people with too much time, it's better than grinding achievements while avoiding the situation where these people have the best gears because they have the most time to play. Now we need some other vanity stuff like pets for no lifers to grind and that's it.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by NetSage

I'm not expecting them to add this stuff right away, but I feel like the game currently needs something. 

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

The problem is the world is so empty and useless. No point ever going outside a city when you are 50. The few dailies are pointless, crafting is  useless. At 50 the game turns into log in, do your weekly raid, logoff, if you finished your raid already and also already leveled up a few alts to 50 you dont login for the rest of the week anymore.

They started faction reputation grinds like WOW in 2.1, but nothing there except another fancy looking mount.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by cagan

The problem is the world is so empty and useless. No point ever going outside a city when you are 50. The few dailies are pointless, crafting is  useless. At 50 the game turns into log in, do your weekly raid, logoff, if you finished your raid already and also already leveled up a few alts to 50 you dont login for the rest of the week anymore.

They started faction reputation grinds like WOW in 2.1, but nothing there except another fancy looking mount.

The world is zone base with wall paper pasted on the wall. there is ocean but its picture, you cant jump into it and swim like in WOW or other game. that why there is no point to going outside except for event or minning.

also the game was originaly designed to heavyly keeping people grind. from 1.0 its take people like 1 min to kill a mobs.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by remsleep

Same can be said of every themepark with repetitive end game content.

Once you are done with all the rides, its time to leave the park.

Nonsense. I have been playing WOW and EQ2 for almost 7 years now. Not all MMOS are like that. both these games make lvling alts a lot of fun and provides longevity to game. FFXIV on the other hand does not.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

For your cons your first two items are mutually exclusive:

After you finish the story leveling a second char is SUPER boring, just go grind Fate's.

World is very theme park, no reason to go out of the main city ever. Just Queue for a raid/dungeon.

No reason to go outside the main city ever and having to grind FATEs can't happen together.  Also you aren't forced to grind FATEs, there are dungeons that cover every level from lvl 15+

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Nonsense. I have been playing WOW and EQ2 for almost 7 years now. Not all MMOS are like that. both these games make lvling alts a lot of fun and provides longevity to game. FFXIV on the other hand does not. IMO

There fixed that for ya.

Huh? everything said here is personal opinion. Should i do the obvious and start putting IMO tags before and after every sentence i write?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Nonsense. I have been playing WOW and EQ2 for almost 7 years now. Not all MMOS are like that. both these games make lvling alts a lot of fun and provides longevity to game. FFXIV on the other hand does not.

Both games have 1000x more rides than FFXIV, so not nonsense at all, as not every themepark has the same amount of content.

In scope FFXIV is a tiny game with way fewer zones than EQ2 and WoW. Also class system in FFXIV is very flat and restrictive in comparison.

Bottom line you kept playing because you still like the rides, some folks can do the same ride for 200 times and still have fun with it.

Some are done after the first time.

Your personal experience does not invalidate the point however.

At release both WOW and EQ2 had more areas to explore and alternative leveling paths. Forget about added 7 years of content.

Even GW2 at release makes FFXIV look small and insignificant in terms of content that is provided for alt leveling. In FFXIV you go through same areas and same fate grinding / dungeons. There is no variation. Agree or disagree but OP is right on the money about this.

So my personal experience says not all MMOS are like this which was the original point of argument. I have never played more small and boxed in MMO like FFXIV before.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by cagan

Pros:

One of the best games out there for raiders with very few bugs.

Great storyline that gets you to max level.

Great animations and (Some) voices with story.

Animations are good and not overdone like some korean MMO's.

Good crafting concept

Cons:

End game is weekly raid A, weekly raid B, finish a couple hard mode dungeons, thats it.

I am sick of doing the same thing 47. time, end game gets old very fast. No feeling of a real world

All characters at max level are EXACTLY same, same armor set, same talents, ( you cannot pick talents, all same for all classes)

Crafting system is very good but no point in crafting...go grind dungeon few times buy any item you want. Do some raids and buy much better items than you can ever craft.

CAP- You got a cap on how many dungeon tokens you can win each week so you cannot collect all set in 1-2 weeks and keep paying a sub so you can wait 5-6 more weeks to collect all set pieces (if not raiding). I was off last week from work and cant do more than 7-8 dungeons for mythology tokens, need to wait 1 week for reset...

FINAL VERDICT:

Fun game to kill 1-2 months while waiting for the next thing. Great storyline to follow, but once it is done the game gets old. The new added dungeons/raids wont help with the useless theme park world. Couldnt get warmed up to my character because i look exactly the same in the same exact armor every other person wears, not to mention same exact skills/talents.. I will not sub when sub ends, moving on to the next one.

I played it for a little longer then 2 months but i'm casual lol :P

but all your cons are why I stopped playing honestly..

I'm waiting for the repop and hoping for the best :)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by free2play

Garuda

Garuda HM

Garuda Extreme

They won't go beyond extreme and with each new major patch they add a new primal with hard and extreme modes.

Tell that to FF11

They had like 'Prime Avatars' that they added in well after the fact, with extremely hard prime fights...

They can always go back and reuse more content, it's what SE does best.