Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do you tab target or is it like a fps?

frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41

hi guys what i wanted to know is do you tab target like in wow and most mmo's

or is it aiming like a fps.

me and my friends live in Australia and if you need to aim like a fps we wont be  competitive with the lag we will have.

Comments

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

it goes both ways..

they seem to have normal tab target mechanics and what they call action mode..

They claim that action mode will be played as a FPS.. but i really need to see this first hand tho..

there are no serverside projectiles calculated. everything is done clientside i believe

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I fail to see how a game can be both tab target and have REAL action combat (like a FPS, where the is no mouse pointer, and you have much greater camera control with the mouse, along with a reticule for aiming).
  • MeechaMeecha Member Posts: 30
    In a Q&A yesterday they stated the FPS mode is more like a soft targeting, it is not going to be exact. So if you are missing the target slightly, you will still get a hit. It seems like both action mode and tab targeting have advantages and disadvantages depending the situation.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    It's going to be a balancing nightmare, considering their heavy emphasis on territorial PvP (i.e. PvP that matters).
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Im hoping for something like Neocron had. This game reminds me alot of it anyway. Lots of things  seem very similar even though it was 15 years ago.
  • MMO-BPMMO-BP Member Posts: 21

Here's the lowdown on Action Mode:

- It is a client side only feature, the server treats everything like RPG Mode. You still have special abilities, timers, etc. What action mode does is translate your actions client side into a target and an ability used and then it sends that to the server. As such it will not introduce any additional lag. It's basically the same thing as clicking the 1-0 buttons while you have someone targeted to the server.

- Action Mode will rotate to face wherever you move your mouse, it plays like first or third person shooter. 

- Left Mouse button is a Normal Action, Right Mouse is a Momentum Based Action (higher quality but consumes Momentum). There is also a rebindable Defensive action modifier that can be used for blocks, defensive maneuvers, etc. 

- You can hold the mouse down to fire continuously.

- If you open up a window it brings you back into RPG mode until that window is closed (by hitting the close button or escape), and then returns you to Action Mode.

- To compensate for moving targets there is a soft-targeting system. The client side calculation makes a determination on what you were trying to hit. If you hit multiple targets.

- The ability chosen is chosen automatically based on your clicks, the style of click (AoE, Suppressing, Single Target, Multi Attack, Head/Arm/Leg Shot), etc. It does this based on a tiered system. If you perform an AoE it first looks for AoE abilities that currently not recharging. If it finds one it uses it, going from the most powerful to the least powerful. If you hit someone in the Head it will look for Head Shot abilities. If you have none available it moves down to the normal body shot abilities instead.

- Timers are set up so that it will automatically create cycles of your abilities. 

- The last target you fired at is saved in action mode. Which allows you to still click your action keys to perform abilities on it as if you were in RPG Mode. So for example if you shoot at an opponent, and then click the 5 key which you may have bound to toss a grenade, then it will toss a grenade at the mob you last fired at. 

- There is a default Attack ability that all weapons have. When it can not find any other ability it defaults to Attack.

- Line of Sight is required in both Action Mode and RPG Mode. You can not shoot through other players.

- It automatically detects Friendly and Hostile players/NPCs. If you perform an action on a friendly player it may try to buff or heal instead if you are able to.

- You can switch between Action and RPG Modes, and between First and Third Person at any time. 

- From our experience it is easier to move around, dive, roll, seek cover when in Action Mode. This makes up for the chance that you may miss a moving target. Though it's really just a preference since you can switch at any time.

- There is also a hover targeting mode for RPG Mode players which uses RPG style controls and movement but will switch your target to whatever is underneath your mouse.

• frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    thx guys :)