Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I liked SWG and TR is this game for me?

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by Holyavenger1
    Unless it has changed, I think The Repop is going to have a large portion of the map that will contested PVP areas. For me, that was a serious no go. I was super stoked for this game, but I no longer follow it. I used to enjoy PVP a long time ago, but I no longer like gankfest zerging like the PVP of today. But, I digress...

They clearly said about 1/3 open pvp on regular servers. Here : https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features/pvp-overview

As I said, I don't follow it anymore so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the link. 

Any chance this kind of proportion would sway you back into following it more closely? :D

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

How about just bringing SWG back instead?

Wow that game looks dated, lol!

Dated or not, it will always be my favorite game due to the fact that you could do/be anything you wanted to. If you participated in everything the game had to offer, you didn't get bored. It had what so many mmo's of today lack....choice. You could do combat until you got bored and then you could do space. When that became boring, you could craft using the best crafting system ever. When that bored you, you could PVP. When that became boring you could decorate your many houses. When that became boring you could farm rare crafting items. I could go on and on with things to do. No other mmo has options like that.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Unless it has changed, I think The Repop is going to have a large portion of the map that will contested PVP areas. For me, that was a serious no go. I was super stoked for this game, but I no longer follow it. I used to enjoy PVP a long time ago, but I no longer like gankfest zerging like the PVP of today. But, I digress...

They clearly said about 1/3 open pvp on regular servers. Here : https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features/pvp-overview

Any chance this kind of proportion would sway you back into following it more closely? :D

Nope. I want PVP on my terms. And, I am really big into crafting and I don't like being ganked in contested areas while collecting crafting mats.

• Proudsoul1Proudsoul1 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Nope. I want PVP on my terms. And, I am really big into crafting and I don't like being ganked in contested areas while collecting crafting mats.

I will never understand WHAt people want. PvP on your terms then its not PvP its something else. People complain about instances they want open world but they also want all PvE ???? The games arent "Real" enough but ..I dont like being killed by other players???? I want to be able to do what I want but you cant do what you want??? Heres the thing you DONT want a Sandbox game you want WoWs PvE servers or any other themepark game it has all you want. PvP on your terms, you can Craft and collect without being bothered and you dont have to worry about other people ...please go play a themepark game on  a PvE server if you dont understnad games like This or Archeage.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Proudsoul1

I will never understand WHAt people want. PvP on your terms then its not PvP its something else. People complain about instances they want open world but they also want all PvE ???? The games arent "Real" enough but ..I dont like being killed by other players???? I want to be able to do what I want but you cant do what you want??? Heres the thing you DONT want a Sandbox game you want WoWs PvE servers or any other themepark game it has all you want. PvP on your terms, you can Craft and collect without being bothered and you dont have to worry about other people ...please go play a themepark game on  a PvE server if you dont understnad games like This or Archeage.

I just want a game like SWG again. The Repop like any other indy sandbox think forced pvp is needed. All they had to do was copy SWG pvp and we would have a winner. Well almost the auction house is a killer too.

I don't understand where you see forced PVP there. They said all tiers would be both in PVE and PVP zones.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

The typical 'go play WOW' come back.

SWG was  a sandbox and didn't force PVP on players.

I like how people think sandbox by default mean full loot open pvp.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

Our PvP sometimes is slightly misunderstood as to what it is going to be and not going to be. 

Each faction has about 1/3 of the landmass of the game. As long as you are in your faction's landmass you are completely safe and can join in optional PvP with the other faction if they enter your land (via what we call going active military). These are fairly large chunks of the game and all resources required to enjoy the PvE aspects of the game will be available in the PvE safe zones in the game.

The contested area is based on faction rules (we have 2 core factions, they are always hostile with each other) and then what we call the 3rd faction, Rogue. Rogue factions can choose alliances with other players. However, the alliances if you want to be peaceful require bilateral (both agreeing) agreement, where declaring hostile intentions require unilateral (one side triggering it) to change it. Many players are of course interested in the Rogue faction due to the levels of control there (both for peace and for war) so we should see a variety of factions coming forth from that. Player cities are in the contested areas and large enough player cities can build transit lines to the PvE hubs so players can safely come/go from the cities as long as they are not being sieged. Our primary goal is to provide engaging and entertaining open world PvP in the contested zones as well as some flash point battles over resources and the every once and awhile siege of the cities. Sieges also require a small metric ton of resources gathered and come at a high cost of crafting and resource consumption to start.

We are primarily trying to walk that very thin line of providing a game PvP players will be interested in and allow PvE players to enjoy the PvE aspects of the game and partake in PvP activities if they so choose.  We recently added the tournament system in for testing that is something similar to a much more structured dueling system where players can start their own tournaments and even can have other players sponsor the tournaments with winnings, etc. These will be available out in the persistent world for players to gather and enjoy and will be an optional available in player cities as well that are large enough to house one. They make for good structures and fair PvP activities so players can better learn how to do PvP as with most open world PvP games it isn't always going to be fair.

We also will be having a hardcore server that is more PvP and local economy/banking/transportation oriented for players more interested in that style of gameplay. The Normal server has no looting while the Hardcore server has looting. Both will have item decay as well as things degrade and death causes some of it as well.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I am quite convinced that the planned PVP system is going to divide the community into pvp and pve players. With the typical resulting forum drama every time an update is released. The devs will also have to chose what content to add to the pvp areas or to the protected areas or at least what the difference will be. Both of which will be contested by supporters of the opposite team (PVP vs PVE).

It also doesn't make sense imo. If you are going to create a skill system where you can build a toon around crafting skills, having forced PVP areas with great resource loot, is just a bad idea. It will lead to gankers hunting crafters to grief.

A flag system like in old SWG would make way more sense in a crafting oriented game. Let the crafters with good combat skills participate in PVP if they want, but let other crafters play as some kind of civilian if they want.

I also wonder where the player run cities will be? Contested areas? If so, lol.

But meh, it goes always the same. First Fallen Earth now this. Wish someone would create a new SWG.

Originally posted by someforumguy

I am quite convinced that the planned PVP system is going to divide the community into pvp and pve players. With the typical resulting forum drama every time an update is released. The devs will also have to chose what content to add to the pvp areas or to the protected areas or at least what the difference will be. Both of which will be contested by supporters of the opposite team (PVP vs PVE).

It also doesn't make sense imo. If you are going to create a skill system where you can build a toon around crafting skills, having forced PVP areas with great resource loot, is just a bad idea. It will lead to gankers hunting crafters to grief.

A flag system like in old SWG would make way more sense in a crafting oriented game. Let the crafters with good combat skills participate in PVP if they want, but let other crafters play as some kind of civilian if they want.

But meh, it goes always the same. First Fallen Earth now this. Wish someone would create a new SWG.

Given that :

• Every tier and features (except player city control) is available in both PVE-only and PVP-enabled zones;
    • Within the PVP-enabled zones, there can be PVE-only safe-havens in the form of player cities;
    • Most content they produce is dynamic, iterative and distributed (i.e. it can pop and evolve anywhere zonewise);
    • There are no classes or faction or races limitations to actual gameplay styles (i.e. anyone can have any skills);
    • They actually also have a flagging PVP system ala SWG's /declare;
    • The PVP level of entry is lower than in SWG.
    I do not think you have to worry too much. This is the spiritual successor to SWG you're looking for.

At any rate, you can drop by and take a look once if launches : it is going to be F2P.

See ya around :)

• Originally posted by Holyavenger1 Nope. I want PVP on my terms. And, I am really big into crafting and I don't like being ganked in contested areas while collecting crafting mats. I don't understand where you see forced PVP there. They said all tiers would be both in PVE and PVP zones.

This is indeed not the game for you and never will be, pvp is a important part of the game and territorial conquest. Is better if you move on and play/wait for something else.

Back on topic, i will play in the hardcore server with full loot, finally i find a decent ffa pvp game where death matter something and give me a feel of battle.
    However i don't know if split the community in normal and hardcore server is a good idea in the long term, well time will tell.

And about zergers and gankers, well is a mmorpg and mmorpgs have to be played with friends and other people, people who always complain are people who tend to play mmorpgs alone but play alone in a sandbox = secure failure.
    To be successfull in these games the power of the guild is mandatory.

One for all, and all for one.

Originally posted by kdchan

Originally posted by Holyavenger1 Nope. I want PVP on my terms. And, I am really big into crafting and I don't like being ganked in contested areas while collecting crafting mats. I don't understand where you see forced PVP there. They said all tiers would be both in PVE and PVP zones.

This is indeed not the game for you and never will be, pvp is a important part of the game and territorial conquest. Is better if you move on and play/wait for something else.

I think something went wrong with the quotes, I didn't say that. But I agree :)

JC and Josh made clear several times that the game is being divided in 3 sections, 1/3 of which is contested and the other 2/3 half and half to each faction. In those faction areas, PVP is purely consensual and cannot be forced. The map is also rather large and each section will contain the full contingent of all tiers; this means someone can enjoy the full range of the game without ever being exposed to PVP.

There are several posts here explaining that and on their website as well :

1. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/738/view/forums/post/6442254#6442254
    2. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6461054#6461054
    3. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6459407#6459407
    4. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6459361#6459361
    5. And on their website, quite a few details : https://therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features

Given that :

• Every tier and features (except player city control) is available in both PVE-only and PVP-enabled zones;
    • Within the PVP-enabled zones, there can be PVE-only safe-havens in the form of player cities;
    • Most content they produce is dynamic, iterative and distributed (i.e. it can pop and evolve anywhere zonewise);
    • There are no classes or faction or races limitations to actual gameplay styles (i.e. anyone can have any skills);
    • They actually also have a flagging PVP system ala SWG's /declare;
    • The PVP level of entry is lower than in SWG.
    I do not think you have to worry too much. This is the spiritual successor to SWG you're looking for.

At any rate, you can drop by and take a look once if launches : it is going to be F2P.

See ya around :)

I don't see how it's the spiritual successor to SWG. It has forced pvp, player cities only in forced pvp area and an auction house. Those three things are enough changes to make it not a spiritual successor to SWG. 

I can't do what I did in SWG with my architect without being subject to pvp.  In SWG I had a house in a player city that sold items that people had to come to my place to buy without any pvp.  In Repop the play cities are in a contested area and subject to pvp.

My player shop is pointless for you can just buy the stuff from the auction house. The small fee is not going to keep people from buying from the auction house. Why would they travel to a contested area when they could get their product from the AH instantly and avoid pvp.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

@Greymantle: Players will be able to build homes with vendors in open world housing, which is not in contested areas. There were in fact Auctions in SWG with the benefit to not using them being a discount, which is also how it will work in Repop.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Only PVP is a mistake, a game like that could benefit by having PVE solo servers and have a PVP style similar to SWTOR. That would make this game a success.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

I don't see how it's the spiritual successor to SWG. It has forced pvp, player cities only in forced pvp area and an auction house. Those three things are enough changes to make it not a spiritual successor to SWG. 

I can't do what I did in SWG with my architect without being subject to pvp.  In SWG I had a house in a player city that sold items that people had to come to my place to buy without any pvp.  In Repop the play cities are in a contested area and subject to pvp.

My player shop is pointless for you can just buy the stuff from the auction house. The small fee is not going to keep people from buying from the auction house. Why would they travel to a contested area when they could get their product from the AH instantly and avoid pvp.

Incorrect you are not forced to PvP you can spend 100% of your time in PvE

Player cities will be subject to PvP sieges that is correct.

SWG had a auction house

You can have a house in the PvE zones with a vendor

Player cities in The Repopulation are based around an attack/defense game, sure it is different to SWG but the game does not claim to copy SWG completley - as a PvE player you can still do many things that you could in SWG but if you want to be able to do everything SWG ever had exactly the same then I do not think you will ever find that game

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

It actually wouldn't be so bad if those like you who seem to want to be a crafter also learned the other half of your 'profession'.... TRADE. I'm hoping that someday games get smart and put some of the most badass mobs all over the place where the best harvesting mats are just so that crafters have to pay for bodyguards or learn what trade is. It's not the PvP you hate, it's doing any real work.

EDIT:

Adding to that thought of the mobs trampling all over the top mat nodes, I say make them hard as hell to kill, and worthless for grinding and loot so that they're not being farmed thus giving these poor crafters an easy way out.

Also, for those that so loved the way SWG did PvP: It sucked. Especially if there were any 'crafters' on the field. They'd just run and hide in their house and logout. =P

Originally posted by JC-Smith

@Greymantle: Players will be able to build homes with vendors in open world housing, which is not in contested areas. There were in fact Auctions in SWG with the benefit to not using them being a discount, which is also how it will work in Repop.

First SWG had a auction house but it had a 3k cap. The only items that were on the auction house were newb stuff. The crafted economy was all on player run vendors that you had to travel to if you wanted the item. The Repop will have a auction house like any standard thempark MMO that you can purchase items from without travel to player shops.

Your so close to what SWG was all about yet so far. The social community from the crafted economy / player shops was huge in SWG and I don't see it working in Repop because of the pvp and auction house. This is my opinion and I hope you prove me wrong. Good Luck with your game we need a winner in the sandbox MMO world.

Originally posted by delta9

SWG had a auction house

Player cities in The Repopulation are based around an attack/defense game, sure it is different to SWG but the game does not claim to copy SWG completley - as a PvE player you can still do many things that you could in SWG but if you want to be able to do everything SWG ever had exactly the same then I do not think you will ever find that game

How can you say your not forced? If I'm in a player city and it gets attacked how am I not forced to pvp? As I said above the auction house in SWG  had a cap of 3k which you only put newb items for sale.

Originally posted by Datawarlock

It actually wouldn't be so bad if those like you who seem to want to be a crafter also learned the other half of your 'profession'.... TRADE.

We had trade in SWG for players had to travel to player shops which created social contact and future trade. I did some of my best trade after I made contact with players at my shop. In Repop most will just buy from the auction house and not bother with travel to player vendors.

I'm hoping that someday games get smart and put some of the most badass mobs all over the place where the best harvesting mats are just so that crafters have to pay for bodyguards or learn what trade is. It's not the PvP you hate, it's doing any real work.

You think the mobs in SWG were easy? I had to get my wife many times to help me with placing my harvesters because of nests in the area.

EDIT:

Adding to that thought of the mobs trampling all over the top mat nodes, I say make them hard as hell to kill, and worthless for grinding and loot so that they're not being farmed thus giving these poor crafters an easy way out.

Also, for those that so loved the way SWG did PvP: It sucked. Especially if there were any 'crafters' on the field. They'd just run and hide in their house and logout. =P

What is wrong if players don't want to pvp? Why should you be allowed to force me to play the way you want to?

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

Video Games are not real life...Im not trying to "work for something" or "risk/reward" my day away....I want to have fun...I want to build knowing someone won't come along and destroy it.  PVP is an infection on any game and it's proven to be a very small minority's niche.  

I will never understand why these devs refuse to make a PVE server unless they live in fear that the PVP server will be emptied out the minute there is a PVE server.  

There are so many damn PVP centric games out these days (every MOBA, AA, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Rust, DayZ...etc)...with plenty of kiddy cry zerges to go around...why do Devs feel the need to implement this crap into really good MMORPG's???  Does it make their job easier??  Im lost.  

Why don't they just stop making MMO's altogether and just make Call of Duty retreads all day?

Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

I will never understand why these devs refuse to make a PVE server unless they live in fear that the PVP server will be emptied out the minute there is a PVE server.  

This sums it up well. I got a private message from someone that works on The Repop and they said that they don't want to add player cities to the PVE side of the game in fear of nobody would pvp. You could use the same answer for a pve server.

I sent a reply of why force players to do something they don't want, to enjoy something they do. I got no response from my reply.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

This sums it up well. I got a email from someone that works on The Repop and they said that they don't want to add player cities to the PVE side of the game in fear of nobody would pvp. You could use the same answer for a pve server.

I sent a reply of why force players to do something they don't want, to enjoy something they do. I got no response from my reply.

It's really sad too because I REALLY looked forward to this game...now it will be just another desolate wasteland of griefers....don't companies want to make money???  

It's perplexing.  There is a survey they have though and I would tell all the PVE lovers to fill it out and say NO to open PVP.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

This sums it up well. I got a private message from someone that works on The Repop and they said that they don't want to add player cities to the PVE side of the game in fear of nobody would pvp. You could use the same answer for a pve server.

Simple answer: It's THEIR game, their money, their development time, their vision.

You want to play another WoW clone, there's hundreds to choose from. If you don't like the options, go kickstart your own and then try to build it and see how fast you cave when you get a forum full of whiners that want you to spend your work and money to cater to THEM.

Originally posted by delta9

SWG had a auction house

How can you say your not forced? If I'm in a player city and it gets attacked how am I not forced to pvp? As I said above the auction house in SWG  had a cap of 3k which you only put newb items for sale.

You're not forced to go or partake in the player city feature of this game, and that's the only aspect of things which you will miss as a non-PVPer. And yes, AH is not the same, and so are other feathres. So yeah, its not a SWG clone, it is inspired by it and the closest thing you can find in today's MMO landscape.

I also wish they would change their mind about having a global AH, but on the flip side, to travel for so many minutes only to find a vendor in a completely empty town... That sucked and didn't help community in the slightest; only the odd/exceptional vendor run would actually put you in relation with other players. I wish there would be middle-ground they could find.