Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Shutting Down July 31, 2014

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Kilsin
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Copy paste of every shut down SoE game... I feel bad for the fans. You're not going to find a replacement any time soon.

No but we can cancel our subs and ask for refunds and then put that money towards an MMO that caters to the EQ/VG type of players Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, the more money pledged the more chance of keeping it away from companies like SOE that mismanage and destroy our favourite games.

So going to throw all the blame on SOE. While also trying to get people to give money to the person. That is just as much to blame if not more so. For Vanguards shortcomings. So he can attempt to make another MMO in the same style with less income then before. Classy.

As was said before. There are alot of people saying "poor Vanguard'. When none of you bothered to support it. Did you really think SOE was going to dump money into it hand over fist. With people unsubbing left and right. It's the same thing with the sandbox crowd. You don't support what's there because it doesn't fit your perfect image, or has a few faults. No serious investor is going to jump onboard if you don't bother support what is there. Waiting around for your idea of perfection just means in the end you'll be left with nothing.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049

If not for SOE Vanguard would have never even have seen the light of day and now you are all blaming SOE. Well good luck finding games you want when you do not even support the ones you like because of subs and so on. One day when every game you like is gone you will learn to support them while you can.

Chamber of Chains
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    So long Vanguard... I'll miss my boat trips to unexplored islands and that sense of adventure sourly missing from today's mmos. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

It ran a hell of a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

It is sad for those who actually did play and pay. It always is.

SOE never took this game seriously. Why would you expect players to?

If SoE never took it seriously why did they spend so much time trying to get it playable?  Why toss away so much $$ into something you arent serious about?

People have this very incorrect recollection of what happened.  Game launched -> awful sales due to word of mouth/beta state -> quickly dropped below 50k -> SoE spends 18 months debugging, fixing, adding content -> subs down even further, below 25k -> SoE finally gives up until they tried it f2p years later

There was nothing to indicate to SoE "hey if you actively develop the game more people will come!".  In fact there was 18 months of evidence against it.   

• rjjii1980rjjii1980 Member Posts: 4
    This game was supposed to be my replacement for EQ1, as EQ2 did not fit the bill.  It started so horribly that it just wasn't playable, but it still had a feel to it that you were actually "in" the game world as opposed to moving an avatar around a fake world.  Even though I probably didn't play it a grand total of 30 hours, this one makes me really sad to see it go.  I hoped for its success and had decided I would come back to it if it ever went F2P, but in all honesty it went F2P way too late and when I did log in it didn't feel worth the effort.  The short period of time I did play it I made some good memories, as being a lowbie gave me the same feeling I had when I was killing beetles outside the gates of Freeport, scared to death of an orc or skeleton walking up on me and wiping me out.  To anyone supporting SOE, I say to you, this game was DESTROYED by SOE.  What game do you know of owned by a major game developer that has gone YEARS without updates?  SOE killed Vanguard.  They had the opportunity to make it work.  WoW did not kill Vanguard.  Other games have succeeding in the timeframe of Vanguard tanking.  LotRO came out nearly the same time as Vanguard, and perhaps struggled to compete at first but it cut out its own player base and is still going strong.  Vanguard got NO love from its owner.  R.I.P. Vanguard.  Hopefully you can at least go out gracefully.......
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I and my fr

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

How convenient what with them pushing their "Next" game and all...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

Who loses more when a developer says there's no money in old school mmos. The devs who make another kind of game, or the guy who wants a game no one will make ?

The game is already made but didn't get the support it needed from the developer.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by syriinx

If SoE never took it seriously why did they spend so much time trying to get it playable?  Why toss away so much $$ into something you arent serious about?

People have this very incorrect recollection of what happened.  Game launched -> awful sales due to word of mouth/beta state -> quickly dropped below 50k -> SoE spends 18 months debugging, fixing, adding content -> subs down even further, below 25k -> SoE finally gives up until they tried it f2p years later

There was nothing to indicate to SoE "hey if you actively develop the game more people will come!".  In fact there was 18 months of evidence against it.   

The game never had the proper support/development staff it needed. Whatever SoE did was too little too late.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 425

This game was like the city of Detroit now. The bones and structure of a massive world, but nothing filling it in. Half done content, empty space where it looked like they meant to put something in but ran out of time/money.

The game had buckets of potential, but the brutal launch drove too many away. Some came back, but it was really too little too late for it to really recover. 

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

Late to the party, but still very sad to hear this.

I loved Vanguard since I watched my first "Let's Play" on Youtube. Such a great game, and I've never regretted a dime spent on it.

I'm afraid the days of open world games are at an end. Ryzom might be my new home after this.

And to everyone with their "I'd Come Back to Vanguard But..." posts, I guess that's one less thing you have to worry about.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Gonna miss my lvl 50 Bard :(

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by kakasaki

Or some of us played it for years but moved on to other games. Still sad to see and old friend pass away. No need to be a jerk about it...

How is that being a jerk? You don't support the game. It's not worthwhile for them to keep it open. Yet, we see a lot of posts here how the game is great, game should be made like this, but no one puts their money out to support it. I would say the lamenters who no longer support it are the jerks.

It's not that black and white. The reason a lot of people left the game was of unfullfilled promises and patches who broke the performance. It's happened sooooooooooooooo many times, and no matter how good the game is, eventually you get tired of lies. At least that's my impression why many left.

I think most people understand the game couldn't be very profitable, BUT BUT what angers most people I think is all the feckin promises and lack of communication. For example when the game went years without updates, not a single god damn word. If they just came around and said, listen up this is what we'll do, just let the game run without updates. People would KNOW what to expect. Instead they try this half assed relaunch with f2p and promise everything but deliever barely anything.

Lies lies and more lies, half truths and very little communication. And you blame people for leaving the game? If you really haven't paid any attention to the game and development you shouldn't make assumptions like that.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

I see there are some having a go at SOE.To me that's having a go at the wrong people.On release this game was a total mess and SOE pulled it from the gutter.

Could they have invested more? yeah sure.But has far as the game goes in was unplayable at release and because of SOE I got 2.5 yrs playing this game and loved every minute of it.

So it seen nearly 7 yrs.If you had thought back to release I don't think anyone would have thought it would have lasted that length of time.It did pretty well lasting has long as it did.Time to move on and I get the players are pissed off.Iwould be as well.There was only one way this game was  heading and that was for closure.

To all players of Vanguard I am deeply sadden that you cannot play the game anymore but surely you knew this day was coming especially with Landmark and EQN on its way.

Not to mention that SOE have known for a long time they are shutting this game down.Especially since brad and the others left SOE to start on Pantheon.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Who loses more when a developer says there's no money in old school mmos. The devs who make another kind of game, or the guy who wants a game no one will make ?

The game is already made but didn't get the support it needed from the developer.

Didn't Microsoft pullout during development and Sony bailed the game out?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Sad to see one of the best MMO worlds go.  Also the crafting and classes are great.  If there was a way to release this as a more sandbox driven game (thinking more Darkfallish with player cities to fight over and no quests) I think it could have grabbed a niche audience.  But shoehorning a cheap themepark formula just didn't work.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Shame about Vanguard, WAR, Detroit and Pistons. Man wtf is this world headed to??? Is there no more american dream O.o?

This sucks ass! I feel horrible after reading this because soon we won't have any true MMO but these singleplayer games with added lobbies for dungeons/PvP that call themselves "MMORPGs" these days. I am just...going to sleep. This. Is. Too. Much!

But logically speaking, it was expected. I am amazed it lived this long actually...

Rest in Asuryan's peace, Vanguard! You are going to be remembered!

Ain't this the truth! The reason I loved Vanguard was cause of the open world dungeons, now I have the choice of a thousand crap games with instances. Luckily it seems there are projects on the horizon, but for now people that like open world MMO's are pretty much up the creek at this point.

WoW truly has killed the genre and until that disease game is unpopular we will never see a mass resurgence, only niche. This genre in general sucks nowadays.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     Shame to see it go.  I played it quite a bit last year.  Only so much you could do in the game though, since very little has been added.   Still, some of the most interesting classes and a very interesting world. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I guess that works if you only look at each game as a stand alone and never use any history to judge what gets developed next. No developer does this, but...you could.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I am going to try and play some before it goes under.  One of the best games I have ever played.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Even if Vangaurd had a poor launch epic amount of bugs and few could play it on max setting you guys have to admit it had many good aspect that few if any MMO these days has, such as crafting mini games, card games, plenty of races and classes, huge world to explore.

Sad to see it it go.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by syriinx

The game never had the proper support/development staff it needed. Whatever SoE did was too little too late.

So basically you are saying Sigil sucked.  We know this.  SoE is mostly blameless here.  SoE did what no other developer would have even attempted, they tried to fix Sigil's mess.  But they didnt get the support from players so they stopped.

Yes, SoE in theory could have added more staff (though its not like the staff was small during the time SoE was working on it) but they went far above and ridiculously beyond what anyone else would have done and only had red ink to show from it.  Game developers arent charities although players seem to expect them to be.

It amazes me that there are people who place significant blame on SoE for VG.  They werent perfect (no MMO developer is remotely close to perfect), but the game certainly did not fail because of SoE.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

It amazes me that you think that way and my impression is the opposite. The reason many people eventually left was due to broken promises. If you do some research and or was around to see what soe actually communicated, you would see all that they promised would come. Yet we saw almost nothing of the sort. We also saw years without any development. Still you claim people should stick around, and that soe did more than expected and that the players are to blame for not playing?

Why would you trust and play the game when soe never delieverer what they said? An absolutely absurd view!!!

I bet if soe just communicated more, and was more upfront on what was coming, or the lack of updates. People wouldn't be so shocked and angry that the game was going away. They lied and lied, and painted a brighter picture time and time again with empty promises.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    R.I.P vanguard , gonna miss my psi , blood mage , monk and paladin.