Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Shutting Down July 31, 2014

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Condolences to those that still played the game.

It had a lot of good aspects to it.  SOE really failed to support it for most of the years it was out, so I guess it's not surprising that it dwindled away.  Even F2P couldn't save it.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Sad news. I hope they'll find a way to save at least Diplomacy somehow... I've checked back into the game rarely, but I always loved that system, it's great fun. Crafting too.
  • MalanthiusMalanthius Member UncommonPosts: 13

I was one that got burned by this game. Still have my collectors box to prove it! Funny thing is I just went back to give it another try. Now it's going away again. Figures...

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Yeah I figured they would be eliminating some games with the announcement of their all access pass getting re-priced.

But looks likes its going to be EQ everywhere all the time from here on out.

So basically that 're-price' for the 'all access' is basically going to amount to a typical 14.99 (for a F2P game) to have access to the new game and the decade old ones.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    Originally posted by iridescence

This sucks. From what I've seen it's still one of the best themeparks out there and was on my list of games I am planning to give a proper playthrough to (guess I'll have to hurry up now).

I really think it is a game that deserved more players than it has, especially when I think of all the junk MMOs that have way more. But I guess the launch problems and the lack of expansion or update from SOE killed it.

If Mr. McQuaid would make his KS just to buy back Vanguard, fix it up and relaunch it I'd be way more likely to donate

Themeparks? You kidding me?  Vanguard was the closest thing to a sandbox as there is.  No game compares to it.  I feel like I got socked in the stomach hearing this sad news.  Many sleepless nights, many wonderful memories during that time of my life. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

R.I.P Vanguard.

Blood Mage was my absolute favorite class to play.

The game music was amazingly beautiful, especially in Thestra. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjf28axkyk)

While I enjoy the game from time to time, the chunking issues were always a problem for me, as well as the slow-paced combat and the horrible character models/animation.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Some of the best classes I've ever seen in an MMO and one of the largest seamless worlds, too.  I wish they would make a Vanguard 2.  This is one I hope they learn from, to be honest.  They meaning all of MMORPG developers.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

It ran a hell of a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

^ this, I totally agree. I'm quite surprised it lasted this long.

+1, more suprising that it lasted this long than taht it's being shutdown.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Sad to see it go, but mildly surprised that it lasted this long actually. It just never recovered from the launch fiasco.

The Diplomacy system was one of my all time favourite MMO activities, really was unique. I doubt we'll see the likes of Vanguard any time soon, if ever again. It's a real pity that the original vision was never completed, but then again, it was very ambitious.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    While I feel bad for the fans, I don't think we can reasonably claim that SOE shut it down prematurely.  When I played briefly, I once tried to look for a group for something with a level in the teens.  There were five players online within five levels of me, total, on the entire server.  That could nearly be taken as the definition of a dying game.  For SOE to give the game another four years beyond that point is quite a lot.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    We all knew it would happen, it's been limping along for years now. I have been checking back in to play at least every 3-4 months and every time I played it I felt angry that it wasn't supported enough and thinking what it could have been. Had some great times with this game but it's time for it to go. To me Vanguard will always feel a lot like one of those relationships you really wanted to work but it wasn't going to happen. I will remember it fondly though and plan to log in with my Blood Mage (Best class ever btw) to say goodbye.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

R.I.P. Vanguard

My fondest memories were from closed beta.

It was the type and scale of an MMORPG that I always wanted. It's really too bad that it didn't have the time it needed before release.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Personally I think this is being done to shift resources to Pantheon, but that's just me.

Anyways, for those who loved Vanguard, please please come on over and help Pantheon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I had some fun times in this game. But at some point I started to realise how update pace slowed down and just superficial fixes were applied.  One of those MMO's with an engine that seems broken to the core.

I won't miss it. But too bad for the people who are still enjoying it :(

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Well i guess we all have one less good MMo to play. 

The loss of vanguard is a big blow to us that want a good Hard Mode MMo and there are so few of them left. 

Guess the Easy Mode Generation MMo's is well on its way to dumbing us all down.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by kakasaki

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

It is sad for those who actually did play and pay. It always is.

Or some of us played it for years but moved on to other games. Still sad to see and old friend pass away. No need to be a jerk about it...

How is that being a jerk? You don't support the game. It's not worthwhile for them to keep it open. Yet, we see a lot of posts here how the game is great, game should be made like this, but no one puts their money out to support it. I would say the lamenters who no longer support it are the jerks.

Well shit. Y'all took the words right out of my...fingers? Exactly what I was thinking.

FINALLY. She's being put out of her misery. 

Waiting on more games to be put out of their misery.

Shall I toss out my VG box or hold onto it? Hmm...

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Having spent the best part of 2.5 yrs playing this game I am deeply saddened but not surprised.Time to move on I suppose.I grieve for all the players of this wonderful game.its just a shame it got such a bad launch.hope all the players head off to something new.personally I,m keeping an eye on pantheon.At least brad isn't a quitter and I hope he gets it right this time.a last word from me is I wish all players of vanguard the very best.not to mention all the other games that are closing as well
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I was playing it though in a "play a few hours a week here a week there."

oh well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Sad news - so many players will never get to experience what a real mmo crafting system with depth can be like.  Or other things like non instanced world, diplomacy, ship building and sailing, fishing with real depth, etc.  Sad
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

It is sad for those who actually did play and pay. It always is.

Well, it's not as simple as that.

People want old-school in a game that's well-funded, well-supported and consistently updated. It's hardly a case of "give us anything. As long as it's old-school, we'll take it". The support still needs to be there.

This is why Eve Online continues to grow and thrive. It's a MMO built on more old-school concepts/ideals, and it continues to do well, because it's a solid game with solid production values (even if controversial at times).

Much as I love Vanguard, and have played it on and off since its launch (well, since Beta, technically), it would be dishonest (IMO) to deny it's been on borrowed time. I (and others) could look past its flaws, because it did a number of other things so well. However, it launched in pretty bad shape and has had an uphill climb ever since - especially in a genre whose players are as unforgiving as MMORPGs.

SOE did jump in and decide to give it more love later in its life, but I think it was too little too late. That needed to happen much earlier on, and with much more conviction and action.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by bbethel

Well i guess we all have one less good MMo to play. 

The loss of vanguard is a big blow to us that want a good Hard Mode MMo and there are so few of them left. 

Guess the Easy Mode Generation MMo's is well on its way to dumbing us all down.

Vanguard wasn't remotely hardmode.  It wasnt even forced grouping, it was a pretty solo friendly, not too difficult game.  The difference being there was the option for more challenging content and the dungeons were wonderful.

People will blame SoE (which is ridiculous) or blame the players (more fitting, but still not right) but the real blame is on the VG coders from Sigil that created a horrible game based on great ideas.  The performance was always poor, and you have to think the supposed seamless design was a big hindrance here and maybe zoning instead of chunking would have made things smoother.   Also it has the ugliest characters in any AAA mmo.  Just using the character creation with those hideous clothes is enough to put people off.  And the odd looking anthromorphic races that looked like humans with wolf heads thrown on them and no tails.  There were a lot of great things about Vanguard, but it just always felt off.  Still sad to see it go.  

SoE is making the right move consolidating.  It still has 4 actively supported MMORPGs (EQ, EQ2, PS2, DCUO) which are all quite different from each other with 5a and 5b on the way.  And yes, I would bet lots of money that eventually Pantheon will be SoE but they cant afford it right now.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Personally I think this is being done to shift resources to Pantheon, but that's just me.

Anyways, for those who loved Vanguard, please please come on over and help Pantheon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

SOE has nothing to do with Pantheon, at least now, and hopefully it stays that way.

SOE has never done anything positive for the MMORPG's it sticks its greedy mitts into.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Gutted....that's all I can say. Gutted.
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Where will the hundreds of players go now?