Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nProtect GameGuard is bad news + List of Games it's on. Updated 03/03/16

BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
edited March 2016 in General Gaming

I know some of you like me have issues with nProtect Gameguard for various reasons. I personally won't put it on my PC due to past experiences and the issues it has caused.

nProtect Gameguard is an anti-cheat root toolkit developed by INCA Internet. GameGuard hides the game application process, monitors the entire memory range, terminates applications defined by the game vendor and INCA Internet to be cheats (QIP for example), blocks certain calls to Direct X functions and Windows APIs, keylogs your keyboard input, and auto-updates itself to change as new possible threats surface. It's known to cause pc instability which includes common BSoDs, deletion of harmless files and drivers, such as one for gaming keyboards/mice(example: Logitech G510 and G710+), anti-virus and firewall programs. 

Since GameGuard essentially works like a rootkit, players may experience unintended and potentially unwanted side effects. Since the game's process cannot be stopped from the task manager, if the protected game has an infinite loop or hangs in any way, it is effectively impossible to close without logging out or restarting the computer. This is even more frustrating since GameGuard checks if it is already running on the game's launch and does not permit the player to start a new instance in such cases.

nProtect GameGuard is not like other anticheat programs out there. If you decide to remove the game, Gameguard will stay in your system as there is no uninstall feature. Some of the .dlls will be removed with the game but some will be hidden in your system. You have to manually uninstall them which includes editing the registry. Being there is in fact .exe files left in your system it can run when INCA decides to and it can still scan your system memory and keystrokes. For those that argue that the Gameguard rootkit can't run without the game running or being in their pc, this is false. 

I figured I would compile a list of games that I have seen and read about that have Gameguard. If you know of any games not listed please post and I'll be happy to update the list. I'm hoping that after learning about Gameguard that the MMORPG.com staff would consider including whether a game has nProtect Gameguard with it when they list a game due to the huge issues and concerns there is with the program.

4Story

9Dragons 

Albatross18

Alliance of Valiant Arms

ArchLord

Asda Story

Asda 2: Evolution

ASTA: The War of Tears and Winds - NEW

Black Shot

Blade & Soul  - NEW

BOTS 

C9: Continent of the 9

Cabal Online 

Cal Ripken's Real Baseball

Chronicles of Spellborn

City Racer - NEW

Club Audition

Counter-Strike Online 

Cronous

Dance! Online

Dark Arena

Dekaron (2Moons)

Deco Online

Digimon Battle

Digimon Masters Online - NEW

Digimon RPG

Divine Souls

Dragonball Online

Dragonica Online

Drift City 

Dungeon Fighter Online 

Elite Lord Of Alliance (ELOA)   -  NEW

Elsword

Emil Chronicle Online

Exteel

FIFA Online 2

Fiesta Online

FlyFF 

GameCampus dot com - All games from this site use Gameguard.

Gersang

GodsWar Online

Grand Chase

GunBound

Gunster

GunZ: The Duel

Heat Project

Hero of the Oblelisk

HeroesGo

Huxley

Hyper Relay

Jin online

Karos Online

LA Noire - NEW

LaTale

Legend of Edda

Legend of Mir 3

Lineage II

Lost Saga - NEW

Luminary: Rise of the Goonzu

Lunia

Luna Online

Mentin 2

MLB Dugout Heroes

Monster Hunter Frontier

Mosiang Online

M Star Online

Mu Online

Navy Field

NosTale

OZ World

Pandora Saga

PangYa

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst 

Phantasy Star Online 2

Phantasy Star Universe 

Priston Tale  

Priston Tale 2

Prius Online

Project Torque

Ragnarok Online 

RaiderZ

Rakion 

Rappelz 

Ran Online

Red Stone

Return of Warrior

Rohan Online (English Version of Rohan: Blood Feud)

Rohan: Blood Feud 

ROSE Online 

Rumble Fighter

Seal Online

Saga

SD Gundam Capsule Fighter

Shaiya

Shot Online

Silkroad Online

Soldier Front

Soul Master

Spell Born

Street Gears

Sudden Attack

TalesRunner

The Chronicles of Spellborn

Trickster

Twelve Sky

TwelveSky 2 - Rise of the Sky Clan - NEW

Uncharted Waters Online

WolfTeam

War Rock

WonderKing Online 

Xiah online

Xiah Rebirth

Ys Online

Post edited by BrokenSilence on

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I won't put any of those games on my system because they aren't any good. Not because of gameguard.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Anyone know any other games not listed here that use nProtect GameGuard?

Added information about Gameguard and also added to the list of games.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I wanted to play Audition USA a bit again after a long absence. Gameguard won't let me - it identifies me as evil cheater cause I'm using a logitech mouse with hotkeys.

Hmm sure gives me a huge advantage over other players when I have emoticons on buttons in a rythm game...

PS: Grunty is right though

Gameguard is used by shitty companies for shitty games. I played some of those on your list and all of them had plenty of cheaters. Gameguard only blocks obvious modifications such as the hotbuttons but it doesn't stop "hacks" with actual bad intentions.

Harbinger of Fools

Originally posted by Dakeru
    I wanted to play Audition USA a bit again after a long absence. Gameguard won't let me - it identifies me as evil cheater cause I'm using a logitech mouse with hotkeys.

Hmm sure gives me a huge advantage over other players when I have emoticons on buttons in a rythm game...

PS: Grunty is right though

Gameguard is used by shitty companies for shitty games. I played some of those on your list and all of them had plenty of cheaters. Gameguard only blocks obvious modifications such as the hotbuttons but it doesn't stop "hacks" with actual bad intentions.

I can't say all the games on the list are shitty games, I think there are like 2 or 3 I played long ago I had fun on that are on the list. Gameguard is just a bad program and some developers know that now and that's why some went to other anticheat programs like X-Trap. There are a lot of companies out there that just want to stop hackers and cheaters, which is a good thing. It's not that the anticheats don't do what they are supposed to, it's the fact the hackers come up with new hacks faster than the anticheat programmers can update.

Do you know of any other games that use GG that aren't on the list?

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Crossfire is the most played game in the world so i don't think it counts as shitty :)
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

While the system sounds bad and i thank you for warning me about it,.. i found zero games on that list that even remotly interest me. Let alone sound good enough to put their name into google.

So,.. thanks anyways. Reasuring that my decission to not play the crap games is a good one i guess ;)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

@Chaotic

No, the games I played were all part of Alaplaya/Pro7 and were killed one by one.

I don't think X-Trap is that much better btw.

Originally posted by 13lake
    Crossfire is the most played game in the world so i don't think it counts as shitty :)

I've never even heard of the title so my guess is, that it's not #1 as you claim.

Harbinger of Fools

Originally posted by Dakeru
    @Chaotic

No, the games I played were all part of Alaplaya/Pro7 and were killed one by one.

I don't think X-Trap is that much better btw.

Originally posted by 13lake Crossfire is the most played game in the world so i don't think it counts as shitty :)
    I've never even heard of the title so my guess is, that it's not #1 as you claim.

Xtrap I haven't encountered any issues with and it doesn't seem to leave anything running on your pc when the game shuts down. I believe you can uninstall it like most programs under the uninstall window via control panel.

Just wanted to throw this out there about Crossfire.. the game is probably one of the biggest F2p games out there. It's actually a huge Fps game, it's fun but GG is on it. And holy smokes.. Crossfire pulled cash than League of Legends, World of Tanks and WOW in f2p purchasable items. That's crazy.. almost 1 Billion dollars last year. Cudos to Crossfire. And they removed Gameguard, so I'm going to remove Crossfire from the list.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Never had a problem with GG or NP. Sorry I cant share your terror.
    edited November 2015

EDIT
    edited November 2015
    This is a pretty old post but I've updated the text and added and removed some games. If you know of other games that run this pos please post. Thanks.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I know some of you like me have issues with nProtect Gameguard for various reasons. I personally won't put it on my PC due to past experiences and the issues it has caused.

nProtect Gameguard is an anti-cheat root toolkit developed by INCA Internet. GameGuard hides the game application process, monitors the entire memory range, terminates applications defined by the game vendor and INCA Internet to be cheats (QIP for example), blocks certain calls to Direct X functions and Windows APIs, keylogs your keyboard input, and auto-updates itself to change as new possible threats surface. It's known to cause pc instability which includes common BSoDs, deletion of harmless files and drivers, such as one for gaming keyboards/mice(example: Logitech G510 and G710+), anti-virus and firewall programs. 

Since GameGuard essentially works like a rootkit, players may experience unintended and potentially unwanted side effects. Since the game's process cannot be stopped from the task manager, if the protected game has an infinite loop or hangs in any way, it is effectively impossible to close without logging out or restarting the computer. This is even more frustrating since GameGuard checks if it is already running on the game's launch and does not permit the player to start a new instance in such cases.

nProtect GameGuard is not like other anticheat programs out there. If you decide to remove the game Gameguard will stay in your system as there is no uninstall feature. Some of the .dlls will be removed with the game but some will be hidden in your system. You have to manually uninstall them which includes editing the registry. Being there is in fact .exe files left in your system it can run when INCA decides to and it can still scan your system memory and keystrokes.

I figured I would compile a list of games that I have seen and read about that have Gameguard. If you know of any games not listed please post and I'll be happy to update the list. I'm hoping that after learning about Gameguard that the MMORPG.com staff would consider including whether a game has nProtect Gameguard with it when they list a game due to the huge issues and concerns there is with the program.

2Moons (revision 1222)

4Story

9Dragons (revision 1057)

Albatross18

Alliance of Valiant Arms

ArchLord

Asda Story

Asda 2: Evolution

Black Shot

Blade & Soul  - NEW

BOTS (revision 1057)

C9: Continent of the 9

Cabal Online (Some other versions use XTrap)

Cal Ripken's Real Baseball

Chronicles of Spellborn

Club Audition

Counter-Strike Online (Asian market only)

Cronous

Dance! Online

Dark Arena

Darkeden (2Moons)

Deco Online

Digimon Battle

Digimon RPG

Divine Souls

Dragonball Online

Dragonica Online

Drift City (revision 1205)

Dungeon & Fighter

Elite Lord Of Alliance (ELOA)   -  NEW

Elsword

Emil Chronicle Online

Exteel

FIFA Online 2

Fiesta Online

FlyFF (EU: revision 1122)

GameCampus.com -(All games from this site use GameGuard)

Gersang

Grand Chase

GunBound - GIS (revision 1292) - Europe (GOA, revision 1204)

GodsWar Online

Grand Chase

Gunster

GunZ: The Duel (Some versions are with XTrap)

Heat Project

Hero of the Oblelisk

HeroesGo

Huxley

Hyper Relay

Jin online

Karos Online

LaTale

Legend of Edda

Legend of Mir 3

Lineage II

Luminary: Rise of the Goonzu

Lunia

Luna Online

Mentin 2

MLB Dugout Heroes

Monster Hunter Frontier

Mosiang Online

M Star Online

Mu Online

Navy Field

NosTale

OZ World

Pandora Saga

PangYa

Phantasy Star Online 2

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst (PSOBB)

Phantasy Star Universe (PSU)

Priston Tale[3] (English version is running X-Trap)

Priston Tale 2

Prius Online

Project Torque

Ragnarok Online (bRO: revision 1059)

RaiderZ

Rakion (revision 1140)

Rappelz (All Regions)

Ran Online

Red Stone

Return of Warrior

Rohan Online

Rohan: Blood Feud

ROSE Online (revision 1127)

Rumble Fighter

Seal Online

Saga

SD Gundam Capsule Fighter

Shaiya

Shot Online

Silkroad Online

Soldier Front

Soul Master

Spell Born

Street Gears

Sudden Attack

TalesRunner

The Chronicles of Spellborn

Trickster* Twelve Sky* Uncharted Waters Online

Uncharted Waters Online

WolfTeam (revision 1226)

War Rock

WonderKing Online (non-English versions)

Xiah online

Xiah Rebirth

Ys Online

Reads like a list of games that I'll never play.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    The GameGuard list has been updated.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Whole set of BS about GameGuard. Yes, it's a anti-cheat tool that legit players have the most disadvantage of, but you can turn it off on PC start completely so that it only runs when the game runs.

With that, I've played Lineage II since 2005 and only had a few problems with it and my Logitech G11 keyboard because of some updates, as well as my anti-virus software seeing it as a potential threat.

OP not being able to use his G510 and G710+ is utter BS as well. My guess is that he's using the old drivers that were delivered with them and those are badly outdated. Download and install the Logitech Gaming Software (version 8.74.80) and they'll work normally. Heck, the LGS eevn works with FROST (Innova's anti-cheat software that's even more strict than GG).

Only reason for me NOT to play games that use GG is that it's so damn easy to bypass and games using it are flooded with bots...
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Grunty said:
    I won't put any of those games on my system because they aren't any good. Not because of gameguard.
    ^ This....not because of Gameguard.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

edited March 2016
    Reizla said:
    Whole set of BS about GameGuard. Yes, it's a anti-cheat tool that legit players have the most disadvantage of, but you can turn it off on PC start completely so that it only runs when the game runs.

With that, I've played Lineage II since 2005 and only had a few problems with it and my Logitech G11 keyboard because of some updates, as well as my anti-virus software seeing it as a potential threat.

OP not being able to use his G510 and G710+ is utter BS as well. My guess is that he's using the old drivers that were delivered with them and those are badly outdated. Download and install the Logitech Gaming Software (version 8.74.80) and they'll work normally. Heck, the LGS eevn works with FROST (Innova's anti-cheat software that's even more strict than GG).

Only reason for me NOT to play games that use GG is that it's so damn easy to bypass and games using it are flooded with bots...

No where did I mention those were my keyboards and that I couldn't use them. I used 2 examples of mechanical keyboards that have had issues by multiple users. What I stated was -"It's known to cause pc instability which includes common BSoDs, deletion of harmless files and drivers, such as one for gaming keyboards/mice(example: Logitech G510 and G710+), anti-virus and firewall programs." Reading skills are important, use them cause it's very obvious you didn't. You made assumptions and tried putting words in my mouth and also tried to talk down to me. Besides the things I mentioned, you make comments about the subject matter that you clearly don't know about. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2016
    OP, just wanted to make a correction.

Darkeden is not 2 moons. It's a diablo-like mmo.
    Dekaron is 2 moons.

As for the topic itself. I played/tried most of those games. Most  are boring and generic, but i never had any problems with GG, or any other thingy they install.

edited March 2016
    Torval said:
    I use a G700 and F710 with LGS and the controller software. It's not caused me any problems. I haven't had problems with GG, Hackshield, and the others since I had an old Pentium when I played Lineage.

I'm currently playing ASTA on that list with no issues. I don't really like the anti-hack software and think it's pretty useless, but it's not caused me any problems for years now. Maybe people who macro a ton and write advanced macros trigger the issues since the games don't want users to do that.

There are many games on that list that aren't even running anymore and the list has duplicates.

I understand that not everyone is going to have issues with running it. That doesn't mean others won't though. The things I've listed are known issues when it comes to Gameguard though. 

I've only found 1 that I listed twice. The other was Rohan and one is the English version and the other is not I believe.

This list was posted a long time ago and I've been adding to it. If some of the games on the list aren't around anymore, feel free to post which ones and I'll remove them from the list. Also if you see something that's not correct feel free to let me know and I'll correct it.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I'm not sure if Gameguard actually does anything.  Blade and Soul runs it, and it's full of hacking bots.

Seems like if we have to deal with this stuff it should at least work, or do SOMETHING.
    OP, just wanted to make a correction.

Darkeden is not 2 moons. It's a diablo-like mmo.
    Dekaron is 2 moons.

As for the topic itself. I played/tried most of those games. Most  are boring and generic, but i never had any problems with GG, or any other thingy they install.
    Thanks I've corrected the game title. 

As I've mentioned to Toval, I do understand that not everyone will encounter issues, it doesn't mean others won't. Those issues that I've listed are things that have been reported over the years by many different players.