Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar putting ALTS on the back burner of the MMO?

LipstickpaddyLipstickpaddy Member UncommonPosts: 22

Hello, I'm a big MMO fan, but since WOW there hasn't been a release of an MMO that you can sink your teeth into like WOW.  That is until Wildstar comes out as my research for the game has led me to believe.

I'm the archetype craftoholic and altoholic.  I love to spread the spectrum of the crafting to alts and have the fun of levelling them and helping each other like a family.

So naturally asked the following question in the Wildstar Dev Twitch stream on Saturday the 18th of January:

Q1)  Can I transfer goods to my alt without going via the post service?  e.g. is their a shared chest?

Q2)  Can I transfer goods to my alt on the opposite faction?

Both questions were thankfully answers by the dev team in the chat, but the answers to both were regrettably no.

This won't stop me wanting to play Wildstar but will take the edge of my excitement as my adventure and journey in the game will have me coming up against what I believe is 'not letting the player do what they want.'

A PvE server should allow alts to transfer goods to alts, even if it is the opposite faction.  SWTOR allows this and GW2 has a shared quest.

I would like to be able to experience both factions of the game to my own pleasure and fulfil the needs of my altaholic, craftaholic mentality.

So please Carbine spread some magic to the alt fans and give us some convenience mechanics that other MMOs allow.

Finally for the lore junky... You should be able to teleport things to anywhere on Nexus, so not allowing mail sent to opposite faction alts breaks the rule.  Who's to say the Dominion don't have spies in the Exile and vice versa.  Surely these would need to transfer goods, so please pretty please, and pretty please with sugar on top, answer my request and let alts have their pure freedom of expression.

*This was originally posted on the Wildstar subedit on Reddit but was 'mysteriously' deleted???*

So let's try and start a fuss about this and hopefully 'the devs are listening.'

Comments

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    From a developer and economy standpoint, there are many reasons to not allow cross faction transfers. I'm really glad they are not. I'm sure you can work out how to trade with another player though. I'm sure someone else will be in your situation.
     I've been here a while...
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Lipstickpaddy

Hello, I'm a big MMO fan, but since WOW there hasn't been a release of an MMO that you can sink your teeth into like WOW.  That is until Wildstar comes out as my research for the game has led me to believe.

I'm the archetype craftoholic and altoholic.  I love to spread the spectrum of the crafting to alts and have the fun of levelling them and helping each other like a family.

So naturally asked the following question in the Wildstar Dev Twitch stream on Saturday the 18th of January:

Q1)  Can I transfer goods to my alt without going via the post service?  e.g. is their a shared chest?

No shared chest, but you can mail items to alts.

Q2)  Can I transfer goods to my alt on the opposite faction?

Yes, the Auction House is cross faction (cross server, no - cross faction, yes). 

Both questions were thankfully answers by the dev team in the chat, but the answers to both were regrettably no.

You can easily share goods with other characters, but there are no special features for it.

Sending items to other characters is very easy in WildStar. Not sure where you are getting that the Devs said no. If by no they mean do they encourage it or have features built specifically for it - no. It's easy though, just have to take an extra step or two.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• LipstickpaddyLipstickpaddy Member UncommonPosts: 22

The problem will trading with someone is that you will not be able to trade with a person that is cross faction.  Also the auction house with is cross faction so the economy won't be abused.  In fact the only reason for me wanting to send items to my alts cross faction is simply to feed crafting and send items I've made for my alt classes.

Now the auction has a buy order that users can set up.

So say I make 'Sword X' and want to sent it to my warrior which is on the other faction, I won't be able to list it on the auction if someone has a buy order for it as they will buy it as soon as I put it up for auction.

Okay so I could put the buy order at say 99999 credits, but there is also sell orders too!!!  So I would be buying something that isn't mine for a ridiculous price.

The buy and sell orders stop the cross faction trading but I'm not against them.  I just want a shared account chest that alts on both faction can use.  It's simple.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Lipstickpaddy

The problem will trading with someone is that you will not be able to trade with a person that is cross faction.  Also the auction house with is cross faction so the economy won't be abused.  In fact the only reason for me wanting to send items to my alts cross faction is simply to feed crafting and send items I've made for my alt classes.

Now the auction has a buy order that users can set up.

So say I make 'Sword X' and want to sent it to my warrior which is on the other faction, I won't be able to list it on the auction if someone has a buy order for it as they will buy it as soon as I put it up for auction.

Okay so I could put the buy order at say 99999 credits, but there is also sell orders too!!!  So I would be buying something that isn't mine for a ridiculous price.

The buy and sell orders stop the cross faction trading but I'm not against them.  I just want a shared account chest that alts on both faction can use.  It's simple.

Just because there isn't an account chest doesn't mean WildStar is leaving alts behind. I'm completely against an account chest. Leave that stuff in Diablo and GW2.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

So when does a lack of a shared bank between alts = alts on back burner? And im sure such things will get added eventually since at the start folks wont have alts to need such a feature.

• LipstickpaddyLipstickpaddy Member UncommonPosts: 22

Leaving ALTS on the back burner... this phrase means, that we are not thinking about it at the minute but do have it in our minds.

The Shared Chest on GW2 was a convenience mechanic as they knew that mailing items to alts constantly was a bug bear of players, especially as mail usually has a limit of items you can send and it costs money too.

SWTORs approach of allowing mail to be delivered was also a convenience mechanic so you could try out the stories on the opposite faction and having the benefit of behind backed up by your other alts.

You see I'm not a ECON player, I just like to my alts to wear and equip things that I have made.  It's simple and feels great. 

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    If the AH is shared I dont see why we shouldnt be allowed to send mail to alts on another faction. /shrug ... no big deal either way.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I think in MMO designing alts should always be on the back burner. It should be more of...a happy coincidence that a player should want to reroll and create an alt, not something that a game should be purposefully designed for (Think SWTOR). Having convenience features like a shared bank would be a nice thing to have, I've definitely used it in games such as EQ2...but with an in game mail system it's not a very necessary feature, at least not in the short to mid term. Possibly once the game has a few years under it's belt and people re-roll alts to experience new content or a new class.

I would rather the developers spend their time right now making sure that there are thousands of hours worth of content that I can play on a single character without feeling like I need to shelf or start over a character to experience the entire game.