Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Order Bonus(es) Revealed! (Hint: Spaceship!)

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Okay, so thanks to MMORPG's own Chief_Sarcan, we now know that Carbine has pre-order bonuses set up for Wildstar.  Whether it's a specific retailer or all retailers is a yet unknown detail, but one of the items is known.

Link:  http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/c/3561098  (go to 8:25)

Item:  Spaceship House

Use:  Primary plug house for players on their personal housing plot.

So, thoughts on this pre-order house?

I personally find the Cassian house to be the best looking of all with it's fancy architecture; so the spaceship is a miss for me. 

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    [mod edit]

Thank you for adding your insight into the discussion at hand.

Now, I'll add my thoughts on this thread's topic: I like the idea of the housing plug as a pre-order bonus, I just think it's just a bit too early to conclude this is finalized. Much of what they do is trial-and error so there are many changes as patches are deployed. I wouldn't complain if this was final though.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    [mod edit]

Thank you for adding your insight into the discussion at hand.

Now, I'll add my thoughts on this thread's topic: I like the idea of the housing plug as a pre-order bonus, I just think it's just a bit too early to conclude this is finalized. Much of what they do is trial-and error so there are many changes as patches are deployed. I wouldn't complain if this was final though.

The developer said they're in the last stretches of the game and are just polishing, polish, polishing.  How is it "a bit too early to conclude this is finalized"?  That's as bad as assuming that TESO's clunkiness will get 100x better because "it's just beta" with only 2.5 months to go.     

The problem I have with pre-order bonuses is that they're developed assets that a player's $60 on the box and/or $15 month is not going to get them.  People that wait for the reviews a week or two after launch are going to be left out of this content.    Worse yet would be say someone with a Collector's Edition that gets it a week later with some sort of consumables and a fancy light post plug, but not able to get this Spaceship.

Hmmm, okay, I guess they could change this asset just a bit prior to launch:  make it a CE item instead of a pre-order item.  That would be spectacular.    It would make much more sense when they're paying more money for the game's boxed/digital content as well as encouraging more sales for the CE from the developer.

The major thing I'm hoping that they DO NOT DO is what Age of Conan did back when it had pre-orders:   split the bonuses to different retailers for different things.    That was obnoxious, left players in the dust, and was troublesome for many when an essential aspect (the siege elephant mount) was locked to one retailer (GameStop) which nearly forced players to purchase there....ewww.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

"The problem I have with pre-order bonuses is that they're developed assets that a player's $60 on the box and/or $15 month is not going to get them. People that wait for the reviews a week or two after launch are going to be left out of this content."

Well, thats standard practice for many games, provide some amazing reward for taking the risk of buying the game before the reviews come out.

And yes, AoC did it horribly wrong, amongst many other things it did wrong, like not completing the game...