Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I can't get hooked on GW2 - anyone agree?

Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225

I have tried numerous times to get into GW2 as I'm usually between games (currently waiting for ESO) and I keep failing to stay interested.  I think I have finally put my finger on what the problem for me is.

I never feel like I'm getting stronger.  I completely detest that the no matter what level you are the game scales you to the area.  I just don't understand this.  It's like getting good at chess but if you play someone who's not at good you have to start out with less pieces. 

I remember playing original EQ and having Dorn B'Dinn kick my ass in South Ro and how much satisfaction I got when I was much stronger and would seek him out for revenge.  It's not that I need to feel I can just beat up on weaker things, but I should be able to if I want to.  I guess there's a player base that finds this more challenging but for me I want to be challenged by things that are as strong as I'm supposed to be and able to go back to lesser zones and just look around if I want without having monsters 20 levels below me still being an issue.

I guess I just like the satisfaction of being able to look back at a tough area and know that now I am its master now.  Is it just me?

Comments

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

I agree. If you are looking for a quality MMO it misses the mark. If you want something in between MMO and something else you are good tho. It's like an introduction into MMO's maybe?

Then again I'm saying this as a person who loves the grind. Too bad MMO's nowadays can't make grinding exciting (yes it can be exciting) and instead they try to bypass the grind. But MMO's should be all about the grind :D Just make it worth it with worthwhile progression (lvl, skill, difficulty and itemwise)

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It is the price we have to pay in order to make the lower level areas not boring to new players. The alternative is having high level players kill all the things and then steal most of the loot despite the game having an individual loot system.

I feel powerful when I defeat a boss that's way too hard for my character. I also understand wanting to nuke 50 million bad guys because you should be some sort of demi-god at the end.

I play GW2 occasionally and have been playing lots off other stuff like Magic 2014, Might and Magic Heroes VI, Civ 5 and Shogun 2.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Thats exactly how I feel about GW2 OP.  Character progression just not that good imo.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

This might be a ridiculous post, but i dont think level scaling will ever work out all that well for any MMO unless:

(1) They're Rollplaying games, especially with Hardcore mode turned on.

People wouldn't run around like headless chickens, immersion wouldn't be ruined, and with death having a meaning ( losing your character ) people would still place value in what they've achieved besides scaling.

(2) Virtual reality, again with Hardcore mode turned on.

If there ever comes a day where true virtual reality is a thing, and i don't just mean oculus rift, but the full shabang, this would work brilliantly in a leveling scaled game, people would move more naturally, i bet they'd interact a lot differently, and level scaling would simply feel Sensible(Realistic?) in a true VR environment.

Theres no doubt that tons of people still enjoy GW2 though, and they will probably enjoy ESO just as much.

In the end it still offers what we want, a sense of progression, achievement, a sense of belonging in a community, and the elusive carrot on a stick.

Perhaps we wont get hooked, but there will be plenty of others who will.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I think the scaling is quite a good idea. It makes it fun to go play anywhere in the world after you reach max level. Also, I have found that I can still steamroll lower level content because the 80 exotic gear is still quite powerful when it is scaled to lower level zones. But you still have to be careful not to play carelessly. That's what makes it fun for me.

When I first tried GW2, I didn't feel hooked either. I didn't really get what they were trying to do with the game. I left for quite a while and bounced from game to game. Then I played the FFXIV beta and found the static combat terribly dull. It made me suddenly want to go back and try GW2 again. And I did find a new appreciation for it then.

Like you, OP, I am waiting for ESO. Maybe that is a contributing factor as to why you can't get into GW2, since you feel like you will be leaving it all behind in a couple of months.

If you find a guild you might have more fun. That made a difference for me. Also, I checked out some different builds online and tried them out in WvW. Zerging is not that fun, but it is fun to roam in small bands of 5 or so. You can get some stuff done in pvp and you can come across other roaming bands and it can be a good time.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

GW2 was never advertized as a power struggle game... it was always about equality.  To that end, ArenaNet fulfilled everything.

However ...

< global equality is lame in an MMO? >

I dropped GW2 quite awhile ago, for the reasons you brought up.  I never felt like I was progressing.  Anything and everything I ever did amounted to diddly squat, or maybe a new color tint if I saved up enough currency.  (Arghh?)

If you can't get hooked on the game, don't worry, there are others who are with you.  There are other games.....

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

if you're a level 80 with maxed exotic gear (it's not that hard to achieve that), you ARE overpowered in lower level areas.

have you actually tried it? you can basically 1 hit everything in the first area.

if you're looking for an open PK area in GW2, you won't find it as it's not a pvp game.

you can, however, kill lower level players in WvWvW easily, if that's what you're looking for.

you won't be able to see their names though.

i for one didn't get hooked on GW2 neither.

i'm done with GW2 after 6 months or so.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by alicorn

I have tried numerous times to get into GW2 as I'm usually between games (currently waiting for ESO) and I keep failing to stay interested.  I think I have finally put my finger on what the problem for me is.

I never feel like I'm getting stronger.  I completely detest that the no matter what level you are the game scales you to the area.  I just don't understand this.  It's like getting good at chess but if you play someone who's not at good you have to start out with less pieces. 

I remember playing original EQ and having Dorn B'Dinn kick my ass in South Ro and how much satisfaction I got when I was much stronger and would seek him out for revenge.  It's not that I need to feel I can just beat up on weaker things, but I should be able to if I want to.  I guess there's a player base that finds this more challenging but for me I want to be challenged by things that are as strong as I'm supposed to be and able to go back to lesser zones and just look around if I want without having monsters 20 levels below me still being an issue.

I guess I just like the satisfaction of being able to look back at a tough area and know that now I am its master now.  Is it just me?

Make a new character in GW2.

Go kill something.

Now buy the best no level requirement weapons in the TP.

Buy the white no level or level 2 requirement armor. Add different +10 power runes to every armor slot. Buy rice balls and eat them.

Now tell me there is no difference.

Now get a level 80 with full exotics into the same area.

Sneeze and kill everything.

This is one of those myths spread by people that either didn't play the game or only played it at the start and actually never got exotic armor.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 was never advertized as a power struggle game... it was always about equality.  To that end, ArenaNet fulfilled everything.

I never felt like I was progressing.  Anything and everything I ever did amounted to diddly squat, or maybe a new color tint if I saved up enough currency.  (Arghh?)...

Actually, the second part of what you said is what they advertised.  Remember the manifesto?  

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by inemosz

if you're a level 80 with maxed exotic gear (it's not that hard to achieve that), you ARE overpowered in lower level areas.

have you actually tried it? you can basically 1 hit everything in the first area.

if you're looking for an open PK area in GW2, you won't find it as it's not a pvp game.

you can, however, kill lower level players in WvWvW easily, if that's what you're looking for.

Good way to get new blood into the game?

Or drive them away.  Kill them lower players, they deserve it all and much more .:P

=D

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Make a new character in GW2.

Go kill something.

Buy the white no level or level 2 requirement armor. Add different +10 power runes to every armor slot. Buy rice balls and eat them.

This is one of those myths spread by people that either didn't play the game or only played it at the start and actually never got exotic armor.

spot on

i don't think he play the game at all

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by inemosz

you can, however, kill lower level players in WvWvW easily, if that's what you're looking for.

Good way to get new blood into the game?

Or drive them away.  Kill them lower players, they deserve it all and much more .:P

=D

that's not the case

a low level players will get their level boosted to 80 if they're participating in WvWvW

they are indeed weaker compared to geared 80 players, but WvWvW is all about teamwork (a.k.a zerging)

you can also reach level 80 in a week or so, so it's not really an issue for me

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Ia ma actually a huge fan of this.... And in GW2 its a necesarrity to prevent higher kevels from ruining low level dynamic content..

on top of that it allows players to do lower level content and join lower level friends without ruining all the challenge..

the only thing GW2 does not do is give people a reason to travel back to those lower level zones...espescially if you are not a completionist.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Ia ma actually a huge fan of this.... And in GW2 its a necesarrity to prevent higher kevels from ruining low level dynamic content..

on top of that it allows players to do lower level content and join lower level friends without ruining all the challenge..

the only thing GW2 does not do is give people a reason to travel back to those lower level zones...espescially if you are not a completionist.  

Have you played recently?

Queensdale is invaded by level 80s farming champions - it is called the champion train.

Actually a fully geared level 80 doing dynamic events in areas under level 30 might make it harder for a lower level character to actually get credit during dynamic events.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I agree with Baccus, the de-leveling system opens the game up to allow people of any lvl to participate in content, without having the top lvl chars screwing over the low lvlers. The 'champion train' issue aside.

I think one of the biggest reason some don't 'get' GW2 or can't get hooked is because so many of us are used to MMOGs with strict, vertical progression. New gear is 'x' more powerful than the last, new power is 'y' more powerful than what you got last level. GW2's progression is very much lateral in design. Levels practically don't matter at all. I'd probably feel the same way if my first few (and most favorite) MMOGs weren't largely sandbox. I played vertical progression MMOGs as well, I just didn't like them as much. For one, I always felt levels in most games are far to restrictive. I'm an explorer and socializer, less so than an achiever, so I do a variety of content and community stuff, so my leveling rate is slower than most. Which is one reason I love GW2. I was able to participate in almost all content before maxing out a character.

Do note, that while the game's progression is more lateral, that does not mean the game doesn't challenge you. There is a lot of very challenging content in the game, but because of the lack of vertical progression, it isn't content that you can handle easily once you get 'x' armor and 'y' powers, but requires instead timing, skill and team cohesion.

Edit: Another thing new folks to GW2 don't quite 'get' and can be a turn off is that content is much more open and free form. So many are used to MMOGs that lead you by the hand through content. Quest hub by quest hub, zone by zone. GW2 just throws you out there, and says 'go have fun.' I remember stories from early beta, people just didn't understand. They'd skip by cool content and when asked why, they'd usually answer that they didn't see any quests for it. To this day I see people on forums here and elsewere who's main reason they didn't get into the game is because 'they felt lost.' Considering how many modern MMOG gamers got their start in WoW, I can totally understand that. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I don't mind the scaling.  What I don't like is the lack of structured end-game PvE (dungeons and stuff), combined with the lack of defined group roles.  Having everyone run around as DPS is just chaotic, and not very fun.  

You make me like charity

• Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225

I have to laugh at the couple of posts suggesting I didn't play the game.  Id id play the game a few times and no, I never got to the level 80 exotic armor because I can't stay dedicated to it long enough.  I also did not trash the game so you don't have to trash me.  I was very open in saying the mechanics probably work for some people.  I just don't like being level 40 or 50 and then going somewhere and finding my effective level to be 8 or 11.  That's not character progression to me, notmy taster, but Inever said my taste was the only way to go.

I completely understand the problem with higher level characters making life hard on lower level players by being able to clear the map with a sneeze.  I'm also not that type of player and would never do that, but I get that people do.

I was just curious if there were other people turned off by this mechanic, and I guess there are some.  Those of you who think GW2 is great or the "be all end all" I'm actually happy for you.  I think it's great there are many games for many people and I wish everyone much fun.  You don't have to be snippy with me to defend what you like, I wasn't attacking it.

There are some really good features to GW2.  Thanks all for replying.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I don't like the way it leveled me down in some areas either. But yet it didn't level me up in higher areas, that's what pissed me off. If your going to do it, do it right or don't do it at all.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

"Make a new character in GW2.

Go kill something.

This is one of those myths spread by people that either didn't play the game or only played it at the start and actually never got exotic armor."

I totally agree! Only those who plays GW2 enough knows what the OP said isn't even half true. I've been playing GW2 since beta and still hooked and playing it everyday PvE, WvW and sPVP!!!

To the OP of this post, I am assuming you didn't stick around long enough to hit max level because if you did, then you would had known that taking on monsters at low level zones after you hit max level is piece of cake! With good weapons, max armors and all skills and traits unlocked... you're unstoppable!!! The only challenge you will have is with Champions monsters since they do require at least two players to beat (at least for me).

Talking about  "No sense of progression.." oh please.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Yeah it's not that great how it forces your level down, I don't see why it can't just be optional. If you enjoyed a particular area's dynamic events or something, then you can have it scale you down so you can enjoy them again, or you can go to the same event and bulldoze through the whole thing at your actual level, if that's what you enjoy then more power to you. My biggest problem is that apparently ANET has never heard of a huge aspect of mmorpgs, immersion. The stubborn fanboys of this game will say, "so what?" I'm sure, but for most players immersion is extremely important, and GW2 has almost zero of it. All the waypoints and zone portals completely destroys it, plus the waypoints eliminate the need for mounts(lame cosmetic brooms don't count) which really bugs me as well. The game world is gorgeous, but is ruined by these problems.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I found level scaling to be one of the best features in the game IMHO.

Unlocking all of my weapon skills after 10 levels and then having only passive +1% talents to work for until max level is what made me quit the game.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Totally agree with the OP. For the first 10-15 levels, I was in awe of that game, especially the beauty of the human city (forgot the name). I was running around that for quite some time marveling at that fantastic artistry. A great model for cities that follow. Anyway, as you level you just feel exactly the same as you did 20 levels earlier. You never really feel like you are progressing because you earn 90% of any abilities early on that really matter in the scheme of things. Anyway, I don't think ESO will follow because they have thought through progression even after you hit level cap.

There Is Always Hope!

I have to laugh at the couple of posts suggesting I didn't play the game.  Id id play the game a few times and no, I never got to the level 80 exotic armor because I can't stay dedicated to it long enough.  I also did not trash the game so you don't have to trash me.  I was very open in saying the mechanics probably work for some people.  I just don't like being level 40 or 50 and then going somewhere and finding my effective level to be 8 or 11.  That's not character progression to me, notmy taster, but Inever said my taste was the only way to go.

I completely understand the problem with higher level characters making life hard on lower level players by being able to clear the map with a sneeze.  I'm also not that type of player and would never do that, but I get that people do.

I was just curious if there were other people turned off by this mechanic, and I guess there are some.  Those of you who think GW2 is great or the "be all end all" I'm actually happy for you.  I think it's great there are many games for many people and I wish everyone much fun.  You don't have to be snippy with me to defend what you like, I wasn't attacking it.

There are some really good features to GW2.  Thanks all for replying.

We are just suggesting that maybe that level 40 or 60 you reached wasn't equipped with the best level 40 rare gear and rare runes and had the best build available.

I mean even a level 2 character with a blue weapon and white armor that can hold runes can see a difference from 4-5 shots needed to kill a mob to one shoting mobs (this is common knowledge with the black key runners).

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Disagree with OP, level scaling is one of the best feature of GW2. Unless a game is skill based and not level based, you need level scaling or after a few months low level zones will be empty and high level players will have no reason to visit them. As someone said already ,GW2 needs more reasons for high lv players to go back to low level zones.

I just hope more games will use this feature or even better move to a skill system, it's no fun for me going into a low level area and killing everything with one hit (even gw2 is letting your lv 80 be a little too powerful when going back to first zone).

The main reason why I don't play gw2 as much as my first mmos is that the most fun and addictive part was playing a new game genre,exploring a world and learning the system - gw2 gameplay is too familiar now after playing so many mmos and the world/travel system is not really my favorite (loading screens,instant traveling etc). No faction pride and no sense of defending your alliance territory explain why I don't go to wvw area very often .

• coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

That's complete nonsense, because the game from a solo perspective becomes trivial with exotics, except for the high level areas....

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Thats exactly how I feel about GW2 OP.  Character progression just not that good imo.

That and lack of skills. the abundance of skills and very builds you could come up with kept me playing GW1 for years. I lasted for couple of months in GW2 and never looked back.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney