Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Worst MMOs of 2013

Comments

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by karmath

No mention of the swtor? The fastest game to go ftp from a sub model ever and had to have content post launch cut because the engine lagged so horribly? Eh, dem advertising monies I suppose.

Actually I thought the Secret World beat them on fastest.  Granted at the time SWTOR went F2P it may have been fastest by TSW went F2P the following month and they released a few months after SWTOR if I remember correctly.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by ragz45

Just curious do you guys actually pick and chose which Ad space you sell to who?  Or do you just sell it in an open forum, and who ever buys it can put what ever they want?  I know sites can go either way, was just curious how you guys sold your Ad space.

That you'd have to ask Craig.  He's the site's owner and handles the ads.  I'm just the content guy.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by sudo
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Wizardry Online was the first game I ever quit before even leaving the starting town.

Same.

LOL, If you could make it past the starter town AND the first dungeon then you got a chance to see how this game could be fun. The person that did the review on this game awhile back couldnt even stomach the first dungeon before posting their review. Probably why its even on the list...

• kurgkurg Member Posts: 10
    I add Inmortal Online, i tried this one the other day, and was a try&delete title.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

There's something disappointing about seeing a list of low budget games as the worst games of the year. So many big budget games could of done so much more AND didn't have that handicap.

It's like picking indi movies as the worst but giving transformers a pass because it had cool explosions.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

No mention of the swtor? The fastest game to go ftp from a sub model ever and had to have content post launch cut because the engine lagged so horribly? Eh, dem advertising monies I suppose.

You can't be serious. Are you really that disappointed and hurt by SWTOR that you'd compare it to games like WarZ and Scarlet Blade? I'll bet you love and miss SWG as well lol... Go play one of the games on this list for a few weeks and come back to let us know how it compares to SWTOR. 

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

For every game on this list there are two more out there just as bad.  

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by jbombard

Actually I thought the Secret World beat them on fastest.  Granted at the time SWTOR went F2P it may have been fastest by TSW went F2P the following month and they released a few months after SWTOR if I remember correctly.

TSW lasted < 6 months as sub only (start of July 2012 to 12.12.12) but it isn't F2P, you still have to actually buy the base game in order to play it. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by dancingstar
    Originally posted by jbombard

TSW lasted < 6 months as sub only (start of July 2012 to 12.12.12) but it isn't F2P, you still have to actually buy the base game in order to play it. 

Also TSW was a more earnest effort in making an interesting MMO

TOR was a lazy and greedy cash grab that didn't pay off in the end like EA thought it would

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's not on this list because it wasn't released in 2013. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with advertising dollars. *facepalms*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by DamonVile

There's something disappointing about seeing a list of low budget games as the worst games of the year. So many big budget games could of done so much more AND didn't have that handicap.

It's like picking indi movies as the worst but giving transformers a pass because it had cool explosions.

I don't think it is right to refer to it as a handicap.

Make no mistake, the majority of these low budget titles were low budget on purpose, not due to lack of funds. They were companies who sought to crank out a piece of crap F2P MMO as quick as possible to try and exploit the current gaming trend of F2P in attempts to make a profit before enough word got out about how shit-tastic their game was.

Those types of companies and games have always existed and they are intentional. They are far separated from the small indie groups who truly want to toil hard with limited funds to make something great. If these had been true scrapping Indie guys who had made a few missteps, I'd be right there with you to say the list wasn't right. However, these games were deliberately crap in the quest for a quick buck and deserve their spots over the big budget mainstream titles that didn't quite deliver.

People should also be wary of any browser based MMO. Yes, Runescape made it work (and did so long ago), but time has shown us that if an MMO is browser based it is almost certainly going to be utter crap. This also highlights the dangers of F2P. Companies will crank out low budget crap with no barrier of entry to try and swindle a few bucks. They know they can't get away with that and a box price (or subscription) because people will research and read reviews before putting their money down and they will end up broke real fast.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

You can't be serious. Are you really that disappointed and hurt by SWTOR that you'd compare it to games like WarZ and Scarlet Blade? I'll bet you love and miss SWG as well lol... Go play one of the games on this list for a few weeks and come back to let us know how it compares to SWTOR. 

lol I don't think most people want to touch SWTOR with a 10 ft. pole anymore. Between the utterly terrible glitches that lasted for 2-3 months at release. To the horrid cash shop after its transfer into a "free2play" system.

Most people on this website you mean? Because that would probably be accurate. In any case, it's way better than any game on this list. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Tor was by no means a lazy cash grab, remember EA invested 750,000,000 dollars in buying Bioware and then roughly another 200,000,000 dollars producing that garbage known as SWTOR. This game truly shows that more money does not mean a better title.

How does it show that ? it's the second most played mmo in the western market. 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I wasn't going to take this list seriously if it didn't have Scarlet Blade and Infestation/WarZ. My faith has been restored! Thank you Bill :)

Smile

• Lo-KiLo-Ki Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by SBFord

It's not on this list because it wasn't released in 2013. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with advertising dollars. *facepalms*

This right here.  Surprised it took that long for someone to tell it like it is about the game's release date.  

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    DUST 514.... what a letdown it was. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Because sometimes it's better to know what not to play rather than what to play :P

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by sudo
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Wizardry Online was the first game I ever quit before even leaving the starting town.

Same.

Same. ;D

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Neverwinter should be on that list for showing us the depths to which the once great MMORPG genre has sunk. Cartoony graphics, clunky linear gameplay and all the while trying to pick your pocket while you play. It's an insult to MMORPGs and D&D/Forgotten Realms fans.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    Originally posted by elvigy
    But your review of Dust514 gave it a score of 7.2 whereas the others on this list are all in the 4s and 5s range. So which is it? A decent game (7.2) or the second worst of the year?

Good question. I struggled with this but I stand behind my placing it where it resides on this list.

When it launched, there was a whole lot of promise in the integration with EVE Online. There was a lot of hope built up behind it (which I mention briefly in the beginning of the article) which made its long-term mediocrity all the more glaring. Reviewed today, I have no doubt our score would be lower. How much, I can't say, but the crushing disappointment in how its systems shook out definitely makes it one of the worst games of the year.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Havant even hurd of 80% of these haha i did plat wizardy onoine, concept was good execution not so much anyway back onto topic here, Seem to me the Worst of 20_ _ is getting harder and harder to pic between with the increased amoutn of just plain rubbish games :P with anyluck 2014 onwards will be a change to that with current trend of gaming trying to break out of the mold in some way. From 2004 onwards 95% if games that come out hjave just been WoW clones and as time went on dev seem to think casual was the way everyone wants but boy where they wrong. As u can see from the list most of these games are trying to be an even more casual version of WoW itself which is currenttly impossible hahaha cant get more casual friendly than that without the game playing itself. For example in the list there werem uiltipul games that will run you to destination and all that for u while doing other things one even plays it self with the afk mode, Like seriously Dev teams why make games that dont require somone to even sit at the PC anymore to play it, people want games that they can engage it and the extreamly casual is not the way to go, the opposite infact its probaly the best way to go currently with the market.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by SBFord

Wasnt swotor on the list for last year which makes sense since thats the year it came out, Also these 10 games beat even swotor itself haha.