Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imperator VS Vanguard!

AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Just want to be the first to write this duel thing like folks on this board do!

I assume we will see a LOT of those 2 duel with passing time...original EQ team...and Mythic!  You know I am right on!  Both release dates may come close to each others!  image

PS:  Vanguard say specifics servers rules(can work, but hard to group RL friends with differents tastes), Mythic answer with many differents End GameS(can definitely work, and easier to group RL friends) which include an independant PvP system.  Mythic offer very few races.  Vanguard want to focus on challenge but not tedious...yet on travels, I think Imperator is owning them.  Vanguard may be less ''action oriented'', it is both an edge and a flaw(not everyone like to need good reflexs).  Imperator seem to be taking a ''multi linears'' road, while Vanguard seem to be taking a more open ended system, yet, can be just as tedious, it is just leaving more choices to the players(both good and bad, I like to feel the devs hold my hand and tell me what is next thing I should do sometimes).

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Comments

• AelrazAelraz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I think you forgot one of the biggest factors here: Setting/lore. Vanguard is classic fantasy and Imperator is Sci-Fi. Personally, Id take a fantasy game over a Sci-Fi game any day, unless the Sci-Fi game is much much better...which I dont think is the case here image

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Imperator looks good, I think is going to be a smashing game.
    But as my friend above stated already, Vanguard and Imperator are 2 different games that appeal to different kind of players.
    I don't think Imperator is going to poach players from Vanguard and viceversa.

I am sure I will buy Imperator, but I am not sure if I will get addicted to it.
    Sci-fi is not my favourite genre, so chances are that Vanguard will have the upper hand when it comes to choose the game to dedicate most of my play time to

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I prefer fantasy over sci-fi.  But I value gameplays over such petty details.

However, let's face it...Vanguard try to appeal to players that are litterally starving and wanting MORE.

If you prefer beef(fantasy), will you automatically dismiss chicken(sci fi)?  What if a restaurant do fine beef but exquisite chicken, which do you really prefer now?

They will be coming out at about the same release date, and the wrapping(sci fi vs Fantasy) matter far less then others keys points, which both Vanguard and Imperator are answering in their own way.  Will those games compete?  Yes, they all compete for the same players.  Many will try both however, or even play both.

For me, all will come down to the final famed gameplay!  Heck, I rather be playing a Pokemon MMORPG if the gameplay is better, then play a fantasy, so Sci-Fi as the second best choice, is definitely in the league of competing.  In facts, I dont know many gamers who will throw Sci-Fi on the side, they prefer fantasy, but if the gameplay is better in a Sci-Fi setting(the thingy about Roma is an appealing thing)...

Dismiss the competition as much as you want, Vanguard will have to consider Imperator a lot more then they have to consider WoW or EQ2(hehe how many servers merge in 2006 for those 2 games?  place your bids).  And Imperator better consider Vanguard then EQ2 or WoW or EVE as a big competitor...release date and gameplays outmatch the flavor of the setting.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

To be honest I consider D&L and Darkfall as direct competitors of Vanguard.
    Eq2 is not competition at all and Imperator is a different genre.

If I don't like beef, I wil never like it, no matter in which way is cooked, I will always go for chicken.
    If I am starving, and there is only beef to eat, I will probably eat it. ::::07::

As I said before , I will buy Imperator, but I doubt I will "eat" it too often, I think I will prefer to have Vanguard for dinner anytime::::34::

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137

While some people might not particularly care for the surroundings in which a game is played, there are many whose willingness to try a game is entirely reliant on the surroundings.

I don't know how many people I've heard say they won't even try WoW because of it's cartoony look. I couldn't convince many of my friends to try any Sci-Fi game; MMO, RTS, FPS or otherwise. They simply aren't compelled to enter a Sci-Fi atmosphere.

And when the hope is that a game will capture you and entertain you for years to come, the atmosphere is a major point. You might love the gameplay, but be completely uninterested in the atmosphere. That's going to impact your interest in staying with a particular game for long periods.

Any non-fantasy game can compete on some levels with a fantasy game. But for a large chunk of the playerbase, a non-fantasy game is a non-consideration. And even the way that fantasy world is portrayed is a factor in their decision to try it.

-Feyshtey-

Originally posted by Feyshtey
    And even the way that fantasy world is portrayed is a factor in their decision to try it.

Also, this is very true.
    Even Fantasy settings might be more interesting than others, and it might make the difference when you choose which game to play.

For example EQ2 is a real turn off for me, the environment feels souless, I don't find the settings Fantasy enough.
    The original EQ was far more immersive, although the graphic was quite bad.