Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The repopulation should be subb based and not F2p

2»

Comments

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    not that I matter a damned to this game but if it goes sub based count me out.  I already have two AAA MMOs I am subbed to and i wont be dropping them for this game.  I kinda expect most people are similar to me on this but then I guess I am thinking too highly of my own opinion.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Snoepie

to counter the limitless accounts and  alt harvesters ingame..

With this featurelist and when they can pull this off.. i would be happy to pay a monthly sub..

Alt harvesting is more than likely going to be useless because of the way the harvesting in the game is designed. From what I understand, harvesting is going to be mainly an active activity where you get the best resources from mobs and contested zones. Alts will be more useful for people who want to QUICKLY have access to multiple types of characters rather than slowly unlocking all skills sets (no diminishing returns, but most of our play style comes from equipment). Also every character can master every craft, but crafting is good stuff is a full time job that requires knowledge and luck in this game. Its not something that will be easily botted. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Hanthos

Very well put. Eventually, those boundaries will get crossed and then those that have actually been paying will see their investment of time and cash devalued in a vain attempt at trying to sustain revenue before the game eventually collapses and is shuttered. The model is already showing in the almost weekly announcements of game closures that while it has worked on a short term limited basis, it has no long term viability and is destined to eventually fail.

Please, give us this list of AAA games that have gone freemium and then "collapsed."  I'll even start it for you.  WAR.  Anything else?

On the other hand, you have TOR, TSW, LotRO, DDO, STO, Rift, EQ2... the list goes on.  For the most part, AAA games that go freemium have become more profitable, and show no sign of shutting down any time in the forseeable future.  The only model which is being shown to have no long term viablility for new games is the model of relying solely on subscriptions for revenue.

WAR never went freemium, it was sub. 

/edit: unless you mean the free trial for t1, which I guess you do.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by JC-Smith
    I think we've been pretty clear on our F2P stance and that we will not allow people to buy power. If people choose to not believe that, that is their choice. It would be nice though if players stop trying to inject the worst case scenario of F2P games into any game that happens to be F2P.

There are some lengthy threads on this subject already, I'd suggest reading those for more details. But the easiest way to understand why this game will be shipping F2P is to simply examine the MMO market. How many games in the past three years have launched as subscription? And of those how many are still subscription? There's a reason for that.

As a player, a game launching as subscription and then trying to conver to F2P a year later should be a larger concern. During that time you pay the boxed price, followed by a monthly subscription, probably with a cash shop the entire time. And then the game converts to F2P. Your paying a lot more money to get where you could have been from square one.

so your worried about that maybe your game fails as a subscribtion and dont want to convert into f2p while the players already paid for sub or box prices..

Truely i dont get it..

you guys of the repopulation making a game thinking outside the box.. which is awesome.. therefor people will pay you money 

i think alot of players will be happy to pay a sub for this game.. because you guys are trying to make a decent sandbox game instead of the standard themeparks mmo's

im not sure what makes more profit f2p or p2p but i do know that with sandbox games and player driver economy there will be alot of incoming problems with f2p

you guys underestimate yourselves ( well if you deliver ofcourse) about the amount of people who are intrested in games like the repopulation..

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Snoepie

to counter the limitless accounts and  alt harvesters ingame..

With this featurelist and when they can pull this off.. i would be happy to pay a monthly sub..

As past has shown us again and again that sandbox niche MMOS go through a hard time getting enough subscribers to make the business model more viable. Also it depends upon the overall budget and investors.

They have all the right to recoup their investment so as long as they make profit and keep the game up and running i could care less what business model they are using.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Gatlan

Very well put. Eventually, those boundaries will get crossed and then those that have actually been paying will see their investment of time and cash devalued in a vain attempt at trying to sustain revenue before the game eventually collapses and is shuttered. The model is already showing in the almost weekly announcements of game closures that while it has worked on a short term limited basis, it has no long term viability and is destined to eventually fail.

Please, give us this list of AAA games that have gone freemium and then "collapsed."  I'll even start it for you.  WAR.  Anything else?

On the other hand, you have TOR, TSW, LotRO, DDO, STO, Rift, EQ2... the list goes on.  For the most part, AAA games that go freemium have become more profitable, and show no sign of shutting down any time in the forseeable future.  The only model which is being shown to have no long term viablility for new games is the model of relying solely on subscriptions for revenue.

WAR never went freemium, it was sub. 

/edit: unless you mean the free trial for t1, which I guess you do.

The only reason it didn't go f2p is because EA knew games workshop wasn't going to renew the licence. There was no point in putting any money into a game they knew was dead no matter how much they could of made switching.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I too would like to know the list of "almost" weekly shutdown announcements of games.

Yup, afaik SE have yet to tell everyone that FF XIV;ARR is closing down, and  CCP are being very quiet about the imminent shut down of  Eve Online too, of course Blizzard are definitely lying about WoW not shutting down, everyone knows the game is limping on with a measley 6 million odd players, and will be sunsetting in the next few weeks image

on the other hand, the number of F2P only games that are struggling to survive seems to be increasing, amazing really, as F2P games are so wildly popular that everyone wants to play them image