Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You get 12 skills, not 6.

DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

This seems to be a common misconception.  Watch the gameplay videos, you get two weapons each with their own 6-slot hotbar you can fill skills with.  You can seemingly swap between weapons (and hotbars) without delay.

Comments

• marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Kinda like GW2. Except your first skill isn't an auto-attack, plus one more skill, and you still have your TES style combat with left/right mouse buttons. (This was stated in videos, too.)

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    As far I read, you cant swap weapons in combat.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by spizz

Watch the game play videos... he swaps back and forth mid combat.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

After level 15 you get a single key weapon swap. You will be able to swap weapons. You can see it in older video interviews and game previews. You won't be able to swap armor during combat. It will allow for range then melee swap CC and back to range type of options.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    But at a huge cost....  they drain all your mana and stamina when switching...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

interesting. fair I guess. consider it a 5-6 sec cool down. Block button will make it seem like nothing.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81

That's a bummer, but I suppose necessary for balance.

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Hopefully there will be a passive you could spend skill points on to fix that. Then increase weapon swapping level as you use it more over time. I don't know why they would have a swap if it would gimp you for using it. You could just use a basic attack I guess while it regens over time, but that will probably be something they play with to balance out.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Hopefully there will be a passive you could spend skill points on to fix that. Then increase weapon swapping level as you use it more over time. I don't know why they would have a swap if it would gimp you for using it. You could just use a basic attack I guess while it regens over time, but that will probably be something they play with to balance out.

A logical reason would be if it was intended for switching loadouts between fights rather than in a fight.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

I don't see it as a huge cost.  I see it as a tactic to be used for fighting different stages of a battle, or dungeon, not as something to give me more attacks.  See in a game like this timing is more important than having lots of different skills.  And the fact that proves this is that this game has "block" and "counter" abilities.  Meaning its inherently different from games where you lock on a target and fire off some skill rotation until said target is dead.

Instead, though you may have a skill rotation of sorts, how the fight is progressing will determine how you want to respond.  At the same time it will be nice to have the ability to quickly switch weapons because not all enemies will have the same vulnerabilities.   So, No, I don't think the penalty will have "huge" repercussions.  Rather that it will help to encourage more strategic thinking in how we play the game.  It will give us "options" for how we chose to enter a fight.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I've heard this repeated multiple times but I've never actually seen any proof of it  It definitely is not the case in the gameplay I've seen.

Do you have a source?  I'm not calling you a liar, but I hear so much bad information about this game that just seems to get repeated endlessly without actually checking for accuracy.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76

.....^this it wipes your bar almost out.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by ReaperJoda

This is false.

There is absolutely NO penalty for switching weapons mid-combat. Switch to a resto staff to heal or switch between range/melee weapons depending on the situation, it doesn't matter.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mHQNA45js&feature=youtu.be&t=1h2m13s

One thing to remember; one of the reasons for the NDA is that things change between beta sessions.  So it is entirely possible that at various points in time it has been true that your mana/stamina get wiped out by switching, and that there is no penalty at all, and until they reach the point where the game is finalized enough that they are willing to drop the NDA, we won't know what the actual system we will encounter at launch is.

The Force shall free me.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This smells like GW2 pvp which would be awful if pvp is similar.

I can imagine to switch weapons but not in pvp without a harsh penalty so the weapon switch is more or less directly in pvp not possible, this is like jumping from class to class and such kind of pvp is harder to balance.

At least it was a good decision to implement classes in EOS since the freedom you see in the TES games would lead even to more chaos and balance issues like in GW2 or Rift. These both games are already difficult to balance and the pvp gameplay is sometimes questionable.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

This smells like GW2 pvp which would be awful if pvp is similar.

I can imagine to switch weapons but not in pvp without a harsh penalty so the weapon switch is more or less directly in pvp not possible, this is like jumping from class to class and such kind of pvp is harder to balance.

At least for a character that uses a Bow when warranted, I don't see this as a problem at all.  Sheathing your melee weapons and grabbing your bow, and vice-versa, seem logical to me.   I personally don't see the need for a harsh penalty - in PvP or not.  But that's just my opinion based on what I've seen.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

I always chortle when people make silly arguments for small skill sets/toolbars. You are allowed 6 skills, period. The idea that swapping weapons out (at a huge cost) is the 'variety' people are looking for is ridiculous. One of the biggest drawbacks to ESO is its lack of customization in this regard. 

...and the combat is pretty sloppy. Some skills felt ok, some were atrocious. 

Originally posted by wormed

I always chortle when people make silly arguments for small skill sets/toolbars. You are allowed 6 skills, period. The idea that swapping weapons out (at a huge cost) is the 'variety' people are looking for is ridiculous. One of the biggest drawbacks to ESO is its lack of customization in this regard. 

...and the combat is pretty sloppy. Some skills felt ok, some were atrocious. 

It's only a drawback if you don't like smaller toolbars.  Not every person coming to this game is looking for the traditional, standard themepark experience.  Not everybody likes having four twelve skill toolbars open on their screen all the time.  If you do, there are already games that provide that experience.  It's a good thing when games offer their own combination of features, makes it more likely that every gamer can find a MMO that fits him/her.

Also remember, a lot of people will be coming from the background of Elder Scrolls games more than MMOs, and for those players, six things they can do at once will actually be a substantial increase.

The Force shall free me.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by versulas
    Originally posted by ReaperJoda

This is false.

There is absolutely NO penalty for switching weapons mid-combat. Switch to a resto staff to heal or switch between range/melee weapons depending on the situation, it doesn't matter.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mHQNA45js&feature=youtu.be&t=1h2m13s

Wow!  You're Right!  They want you to be able to switch in mid-fight.  And the only thing it will effect is permanent toggles, like Sorcerer pets.  Thank you very much for that link.  

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Vid of combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_3a_RaiAc (watch 1080p if possible. Choppiness I can ensure is the video capture, not the game)

Start at 3:00 for beginning of combat information.

4:00 is an example of swapping weapons:

YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR RESOURCE AMOUNT AND IT IS INSTANT!

The of ignorance about this game is outstanding. Even more than that is the amount of people here being 100% certain about things that are 100% wrong.

[mod edit]

You stay sassy!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Vid of combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_3a_RaiAc

Start at 3:00 for beginning of combat information.

4:00 is an example of swapping weapons:

YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR RESOURCE AMOUNT AND IT IS INSTANT!

[mod edit]

Will the game be good? Something you like? That is another matter.

+1

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274
    My understanding is that it does not take resources to switch, and that there is less than a one second delay, similar to using an ability. Now its possible that certain effects (buffs, debuffs, etc) linked to those quickbar skills could disappear when you switch quickbars, but even that is not clear.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Any sort of toggle buff or permanent pet will be lost if it is not on both bars. I saw that in the 2 hour chat video.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by wormed
    I always chortle when people make silly arguments for small skill sets/toolbars. You are allowed 6 skills, period. The idea that swapping weapons out (at a huge cost) is the 'variety' people are looking for is ridiculous. One of the biggest drawbacks to ESO is its lack of customization in this regard. ...and the combat is pretty sloppy. Some skills felt ok, some were atrocious. 

"One of the biggest drawbacks to ESO is its lack of customization in this regard."

I agree 100%, lack of any sense of uniqueness in characters with this system.

Originally posted by saker

"One of the biggest drawbacks to ESO is its lack of customization in this regard."

I agree 100%, lack of any sense of uniqueness in characters with this system.

I hate that NDAs prevent informed responses to statements like this.

The Force shall free me.