Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I fear Guild Wars 2 won't ever get guild halls.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Why?

Because every PVE instance has to have an owner. When the owner is not around. The instance no longer exists. That seems to be hard coded into the game as evident by how dungeons, personal story and living story instances work.

If this weren't the case. Anet would have changed that by now. But their unwillingness seems like they can't.

Comments

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I agree with you.  And it's a serious flaw, IMO.  Guilds are one aspect of MMOs that are a real draw for me.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Maybe I'll try this later, but have your friends been kicked out of your home instance when you log off?

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Maybe I'll try this later, but have your friends been kicked out of your home instance when you log off?

Yes. Instantly.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Then you have stuff like overflow servers (which is quite similar on how GW1 handled instances just bigger in scope).

Guild Halls could just be like overflow servers.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Then you have stuff like overflow servers (which is quite similar on how GW1 handled instances just bigger in scope).Guild Halls could just be like overflow servers.  

I don't think it works that way. Overflow servers are not a private instance and are not created by players on a whim.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Why?

Because every PVE instance has to have an owner. When the owner is not around. The instance no longer exists. That seems to be hard coded into the game as evident by how dungeons, personal story and living story instances work.

If this weren't the case. Anet would have changed that by now. But their unwillingness seems like they can't.

You're assuming they have to treat Guild Halls like a personal Instance. I don't think that's true.

That said, the game seems to be completely focused on other things atm, so if they were to add Guild Halls, there's no sign of it being added in the near future =/.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

well, they probably have ways of making guild halls... they have their own engine so it shouldn't be hard to do it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

They have that stuff since day 1. 

I think more that they will introduce it with their first expansion. So it seems to me.

Oh and those special events, be ready to see them every year till Guild Wars 3- whiich will be probably worse then GW2 ..

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Hopefully they will also work on personal housing in the style of EQ2, so other players can visit even if the owner of the house is not online. (home instance is a very poor version of what it could be)

Then you have stuff like overflow servers (which is quite similar on how GW1 handled instances just bigger in scope).

I don't think it works that way. Overflow servers are not a private instance and are not created by players on a whim.

Every single permanent zone in GW2, be it regular server or overflow server, is a permanent instance (overflow are only trigger when needed) that people with the proper flags can join.

They simply have to create a permanent instance that allow people flagged with the guild name to enter, something they already did in GW1 which is the engine GW2 is built upon.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Fenrisl1234Fenrisl1234 Member Posts: 39

Well they are talking about it and we have a fairly good chance to see them in my opinion

Here is why : https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression-Horizontal/page/61#post3491928

quote : Our Horizontal Progression Proposal

The Reward and Associated Journey

— Sociopolitical Diversification: Player housing (Customizable from rewards gained in the open world), Guild Halls (Customizable from mass play rewards) and Map Wide Meta events unlocked through Faction progression (Leading to both individual and group rewards such as titles and skins) [...]

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Every single permanent zone in GW2, be it regular server or overflow server, is a permanent instance (overflow are only trigger when needed) that people with the proper flags can join.

They simply have to create a permanent instance that allow people flagged with the guild name to enter, something they already did in GW1 which is the engine GW2 is built upon.

There has actually been some observations that zones that are completely empty of players get unloaded and "disappear" too, only to be rebuilt when a player enters the zone. This would explain why some zones seem to be throwing their node placement erratically mid-week.

Originally posted by tom_gore

There has actually been some observations that zones that are completely empty of players get unloaded and "disappear" too, only to be rebuilt when a player enters the zone. This would explain why some zones seem to be throwing their node placement erratically mid-week.

Possibly. It is a good way of saving resources without affecting people.

Also goes in line with GW1 network structure.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    While Guild Halls would be a nice addition, are they really needed? I feel there would need to be some purpose behind them, aside from just a gathering hub, for them to really shine.
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    While Guild Halls would be a nice addition, are they really needed? I feel there would need to be some purpose behind them, aside from just a gathering hub, for them to really shine.

One of my favorite parts of GW1 was completing  something like a Underworld or the Deep and teleport with all your guildies and go check and sell our loot in your Guild Hall.

Or even go to the Guild Hall and form your party and then teleport as a team to go in the world.

You have to experience it.

Of course I don't know what functionality Anet will actually allow the Guild hall to have in GW2, considering that they sell bank access express, golem bankers, black lion merchants, royal passes, etc.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Kaneth

One of my favorite parts of GW1 was completing  something like a Underworld or the Deep and teleport with all your guildies and go check and sell our loot in your Guild Hall.

Or even go to the Guild Hall and form your party and then teleport as a team to go in the world.

You have to experience it.

Of course I don't know what functionality Anet will actually allow the Guild hall to have in GW2, considering that they sell bank access express, golem bankers, black lion merchants, royal passes, etc.

It would give guilds a nice meeting place. Obviously nothing prevents Guilds from designating some of the (absolutely beautiful) places in the open world as their "hangaround place".

Originally posted by tom_gore

It would give guilds a nice meeting place. Obviously nothing prevents Guilds from designating some of the (absolutely beautiful) places in the open world as their "hangaround place".

But there is no "ownership".

In GW1 you could choose your guild hall from several different options and they all were quite big and different. Getting all the services of the guild also costed 510K, which could be an hefty investment for any single player. My GF and I had two fully fitted guild halls (one luxon, one kurzick).

Of course it also served as the GvG battle ground.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I don't see how this can be a problem. They just can create Guild halls like home instance  or story instance which is always there.Available for guild member. I fear that arena quit project and don't plan to further development this is a real fear. Because looking back all updates done were making game just worst.

Fast run fractal  became long run fractal  ? More skin ? no! it's longer yes! than farm became even slower .

2896 h and never got a precursor never got an 10 gold drop   or never got a fractal skin mini updates boring  rerun of last year events rely? 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Guildhalls are on their someday list

posted a year ago

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/What-happened-to-Guild-Halls/first#post1228182

As we have said in the past, we do plan to have guild halls one day, but it’s not a feature we’re currently actively working on.

Originally posted by Nadia
    Guildhalls are on their someday list posted a year agohttps://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/What-happened-to-Guild-Halls/first#post1228182As we have said in the past, we do plan to have guild halls one day, but it’s not a feature we’re currently actively working on.  

Which is pretty much Dev speak for "Don't get your hopes up."

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Which is pretty much Dev speak for "Don't get your hopes up."

You may want to consult a more recent source: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression-Horizontal/first

You don't have to read the whole thread, just click through the dev responses.

Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by AzurePrower Which is pretty much Dev speak for "Don't get your hopes up."
    You may want to consult a more recent source: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression-Horizontal/first

Could you link the exact post you're wanting me to read? I don't really feel like going through 63 pages looking for a Dev response that may or may not be there.

Originally posted by AzurePrower Which is pretty much Dev speak for "Don't get your hopes up."

Could you link the exact post you're wanting me to read?

Under the dev avatar, there's a white arrow pointing down. Clicking on that, you can jump from one dev response directly to the next, a very easy way to quickly absorb the content of the thread. You'll quickly get to a summary by the dev on the topics that are discussed in there. You'll find one that should be to your liking.

Originally posted by AzurePrower   Originally posted by Naqaj Originally posted by AzurePrower Which is pretty much Dev speak for "Don't get your hopes up."
    You may want to consult a more recent source: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression-Horizontal/first   You don't have to read the whole thread, just click through the dev responses.
      Could you link the exact post you're wanting me to read?
    Under the dev avatar, there's a white arrow pointing down. Clicking on that, you can jump from one dev response directly to the next, a very easy way to quickly absorb the content of the thread. You'll quickly get to a summary by the dev on the topics that are discussed in there. You'll find one that should be to your liking.

Let me rephrase. I have no interest in digging through the thread at all.

Let me rephrase. I have no interest in digging through the thread at all.

Fair point. The information you're looking for is there. Your choice to read it or not.